General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cervelo S2 vs. Giant TCR

Old 10-22-15, 11:41 PM
  #1  
dannyboy2233
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cervelo S2 vs. Giant TCR

Hello all,
I am in the market for a new road bike, and am turning to the secondhand market for a better deal. For roughly the same price (the latter slightly cheaper than the former) I have found a 2013 Giant TCR 0 and a 2012 Cervelo S2 w/ 2013 components, both of which have Ultegra Di2 6770. The Cervelo has a nicer crankset, better brakes, and more reliable wheels, while the Giant has a carbon cockpit. I don't think I'll see a difference in those components no matter what I choose, however, as I'm not a good enough cyclist to have Ultegra -> Dura-Ace make a huge change in my riding skills. What I'm wondering is which bike I should make an offer on. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on the S2, and though it's a classic, people seem to have come to a consensus that it is outdated. Those who like it, however, really love it. The TCR, on the other hand, gets good to very good reviews from every site that I've seen, but no one has said it's their bike of choice. Would I be better off with the S2's racier geometry and more aero frame, the TCR's much more friendly geometry and less aero frame, or would none of these things that I've brought up make even a remote difference in a relatively inexperienced cyclist? Also please feel free to leave any feedback regarding which one you personally have chosen/would choose or would not choose, and any reasons why. Thanks in advance!
Danny
dannyboy2233 is offline  
Old 10-23-15, 02:25 AM
  #2  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 11,512

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5440 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
As with most threads of this type, the answer is, "Buy the one that feels best to you." Do you Want to ride in a racy posture or would you prefer to be more relaxed? Are both bikes the same size? Does one feel more comfortable?

Do you like to take longer, slower rides or shorter, more intense rides? Are you willing to sacrifice comfort for speed or do you find yourself sitting up holding the tops of the bars sometimes?

Almost certainly these are two fine bikes and the only difference is how they suit each rider. Assuming they are mechanically sound, both are good choices---only difference is which you like better. No review will ever be written which describes how well the bike will suit you--unless you write it.
Maelochs is offline  
Old 10-23-15, 05:08 AM
  #3  
RonH
Life is good
 
RonH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Not far from the Withlacoochee Trail. 🚴🏻
Posts: 18,213

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany, 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^
Good advice. Couldn't have said it better.
__________________
The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. - Psalm 103:8

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
RonH is offline  
Old 10-23-15, 05:40 AM
  #4  
OldTryGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW Fl.
Posts: 4,350

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
By all means, purchase the bike that talks to you and makes you feel good.

IIRC, Team Giant Alpecin road riders typically ride the Propel and TCR. The following independent testing by a company that tests F1 cars was published by Giant......http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_uploa...estingData.pdf
OldTryGuy is offline  
Old 10-23-15, 06:44 AM
  #5  
shelbyfv
Senior Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,145
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 53 Posts
Unless triathlons are going to be a large part of your cycling life, the Giant would probably suit you better. Plenty fast enough and probably lighter, which does make a difference if you have hills.
shelbyfv is offline  
Old 10-23-15, 04:44 PM
  #6  
dannyboy2233
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have a ton of experience with many different bikes, so I don't know all that much about geometry. I'm pretty young and still have quite a few years of flexibility in me, so I don't think being slightly more bent over would be a problem. How noticeable would the geometric difference be between the TCR and the S2?
dannyboy2233 is offline  
Old 10-23-15, 05:08 PM
  #7  
mercator
In the wind
 
mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 1,187

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Both bikes have pretty similar geometry - they are set up for racing, although I have seen various riders with riser stems and weird handlebar arrangements attempting to convert them to comfort bikes.

Since you are buying used, the length of the steer tube and other fit adjustments may not be the same between the two bikes, but you can certainly set them both up to fit the same way.

Most of the knocks against the S2 seem to be about it's compliance, some say it is a rough ride. I have only tested it once and thought it was ok, but I didn't ride it that far. I've got thousands of miles on my TCR and have no complaints.
mercator is offline  
Old 10-23-15, 06:20 PM
  #8  
dannyboy2233
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mercator View Post
Both bikes have pretty similar geometry - they are set up for racing, although I have seen various riders with riser stems and weird handlebar arrangements attempting to convert them to comfort bikes.

Since you are buying used, the length of the steer tube and other fit adjustments may not be the same between the two bikes, but you can certainly set them both up to fit the same way.

Most of the knocks against the S2 seem to be about it's compliance, some say it is a rough ride. I have only tested it once and thought it was ok, but I didn't ride it that far. I've got thousands of miles on my TCR and have no complaints.
Was there a specific reason you ended up going with the TCR over the S2? I think I'm leaning toward the S2 as it's turning out to be a better deal than the TCR and it is also at least two pounds lighter, but I'm interested why you made your decision. Thanks for the response!
dannyboy2233 is offline  
Old 10-24-15, 07:29 AM
  #9  
mercator
In the wind
 
mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 1,187

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dannyboy2233 View Post
Was there a specific reason you ended up going with the TCR over the S2? I think I'm leaning toward the S2 as it's turning out to be a better deal than the TCR and it is also at least two pounds lighter, but I'm interested why you made your decision. Thanks for the response!
At the time I got my TCR, the only S series bike was the SLC-SL, which was a really stiff bike and also quite pricey. I got a really good deal on the Giant and it fit me well, so I bought it. If the S2 is a better deal, and it fits, you should probably get it - either way you are getting a great bike.
mercator is offline  
Old 07-21-16, 01:48 PM
  #10  
dim
Senior Member
 
dim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Cambridge UK
Posts: 1,668

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I looked very closely at the S2 but ended up buying a TCR full carbon for a bit cheaper ... I also looked very closely at the Canyon Carbon

I read many posts on forums where people stated that if they wanted to 'smash' a strava record, they would hop onto their Giant TCR (this was from people who own much more expensive bikes)

I also read posts stating that the TCR has race geometry and is not comfortable for long distance. I changed the saddle to a Brooks Cambium C17 Carved, added Continental GP 4000S II tyres and have done a few longish rides with no issues what so ever. I'm approx 6km/hr faster on this bike than any of my previous bikes

My bike fits like a glove but took a few adjustments of saddle position to get it right. I also read that it does not handle well on high speed going downhill .... This week, I topped over 70km/hr on strava on a downhill with no probs what so ever....

If I can find fault, the front feels a bit light, but thats most probably because I'm used to steel or aluminium

my next bike will be a good used Giant TCR Pro but I think I will keep this one for a long time before upgrading
dim is offline  
Old 07-21-16, 03:22 PM
  #11  
Dunbar
Senior Member
 
Dunbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,081

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Somebody bumped an old thread...
Dunbar is offline  
Old 07-22-16, 12:09 AM
  #12  
dim
Senior Member
 
dim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Cambridge UK
Posts: 1,668

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
Somebody bumped an old thread...
LOL .... it was me ... sorry

I had the page open from a previous search and never realised that it was an old thread
dim is offline  
Old 07-22-16, 01:04 AM
  #13  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,887

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dim View Post
I looked very closely at the S2 but ended up buying a TCR full carbon for a bit cheaper ... I also looked very closely at the Canyon Carbon

I read many posts on forums where people stated that if they wanted to 'smash' a strava record, they would hop onto their Giant TCR (this was from people who own much more expensive bikes)

I also read posts stating that the TCR has race geometry and is not comfortable for long distance. I changed the saddle to a Brooks Cambium C17 Carved, added Continental GP 4000S II tyres and have done a few longish rides with no issues what so ever. I'm approx 6km/hr faster on this bike than any of my previous bikes

My bike fits like a glove but took a few adjustments of saddle position to get it right. I also read that it does not handle well on high speed going downhill .... This week, I topped over 70km/hr on strava on a downhill with no probs what so ever....

If I can find fault, the front feels a bit light, but thats most probably because I'm used to steel or aluminium

my next bike will be a good used Giant TCR Pro but I think I will keep this one for a long time before upgrading
Obviously the TCR's are great bikes, but why are you so set on getting a TCR pro as opposed to any other make of bike?
ColonelSanders is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Gotti
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
13
01-26-11 08:13 PM
Unreasonable
Advocacy & Safety
49
07-06-10 04:14 PM
mattm
Pacific Northwest
25
06-18-08 09:56 AM
Mr. Beanz
Southern California
198
01-17-08 07:34 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.