Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

ebay is usually pretty safe, but...

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

ebay is usually pretty safe, but...

Old 11-10-15, 10:08 AM
  #1  
Paul W.
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 98

Bikes: Bianchi Sport SX, Trek 1200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ebay is usually pretty safe, but...

I noticed these two auctions use the same picture and description.




Trek Domane Bike 2 0 50 Cm | eBay
Trek Domane Bike 2 0 50 Cm | eBay

I contacted the first seller a week ago advising her that the pictures clearly showed a 58cm bike she listed as a 50cm. No response. Now I see another seller is using the same erroneous photo and description.

What do you think? Scam?

Edit: Should have said "same picture and title description". The descriptions inside the auction are different. Same photo, notice the blue tape on the water bottle cage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Domane Comparison.JPG (90.5 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Paul W.; 11-10-15 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Correction
Paul W. is offline  
Old 11-10-15, 10:57 AM
  #2  
1983
Senior Member
 
1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul W. View Post
I noticed these two auctions use the same picture and description.



Trek Domane Bike 2 0 50 Cm | eBay
Trek Domane Bike 2 0 50 Cm | eBay

I contacted the first seller a week ago advising her that the pictures clearly showed a 58cm bike she listed as a 50cm. No response. Now I see another seller is using the same erroneous photo and description.

What do you think? Scam?
Stock photo, probably.
1983 is offline  
Old 11-10-15, 11:02 AM
  #3  
Moe Zhoost
Half way there
 
Moe Zhoost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,366

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 36 Posts
Sometimes sellers mix things up unintentionally especially if they have a lot of listings ... or if they are inept.
Moe Zhoost is offline  
Old 11-10-15, 11:10 AM
  #4  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,528
Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8714 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post
Stock photo, probably.
A stock photo is where one seller uses the same photo for multiple items, usually new items, but sometimes used items in generally the same condition.

In this case, it is 2 different sellers, and a home-made photo, presumably by the one that has several photos of the bike.

My guess it is a seller that is just too lazy to take photos of his own bike, and found a photo on the internet that looks close enough.

The problem is what if he missed a detail that is important to the buyer. Crash damage? Different bottle cages? Different tires or tire condition? Etc. Perhaps even the wrong model. Note the second seller's feedback is less than stellar.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 11-10-15, 11:22 AM
  #5  
1983
Senior Member
 
1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
A stock photo is where one seller uses the same photo for multiple items, usually new items, but sometimes used items in generally the same condition.

In this case, it is 2 different sellers, and a home-made photo, presumably by the one that has several photos of the bike.

My guess it is a seller that is just too lazy to take photos of his own bike, and found a photo on the internet that looks close enough.

The problem is what if he missed a detail that is important to the buyer. Crash damage? Different bottle cages? Different tires or tire condition? Etc. Perhaps even the wrong model. Note the second seller's feedback is less than stellar.
Thanks for the erroneous explanation.

A stock photo simply refers to a generic representative photo. The sellers/seller (same person?) has multiple items of same model but differing sizes. Seller/s used a stock pic instead of photographing each item. Possibly copied either from another auction or elsewhere.

Your last comment is rhetorical, and is always, or should always be, suspect with used bikes.
1983 is offline  
Old 11-10-15, 11:28 AM
  #6  
dksix
Senior Member
 
dksix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: North East Tennessee
Posts: 1,619

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4259 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's really strange, both sellers having a history going back over a year. If I saw either listing I wouldn't think twice about it being legitimate but still would spend $600 based on 1 picture on something so like a bike.
dksix is offline  
Old 11-10-15, 11:40 AM
  #7  
Homebrew01
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Posts: 21,101

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Both listings say 50 cm.

Hypothesis.
Listing A with multiple pics is real, but mis-typed the size.
Listing B with 1 pic, SCAM, copied the pic and copied the listing info from Trek website

EBAY has a "report item" function for items you are sure is a scam of some kind.

Anyone "buying" the scam bike should be covered by Ebay's buyer protection, provided they buy within Ebay guidelines, and don't send a box of cash to the seller.
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike.

FYI: http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 11-10-15 at 11:49 AM.
Homebrew01 is offline  
Old 11-10-15, 11:49 AM
  #8  
Paul W.
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 98

Bikes: Bianchi Sport SX, Trek 1200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or Listing A made an honest mistake and Listing B is also legit but too lazy to take their own photos, compounding the error. Either way, like DLKSIX said, I wouldn't bid on either.
Paul W. is offline  
Old 11-10-15, 11:59 AM
  #9  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,528
Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8714 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 93 Posts
It has the frame size listed on the seat tube, but unfortunately the photo doesn't show it clearly. I don't like measurements of sloping top tubes, but the right size does help you look up reference values.

Some of the auto parts sellers are the worst at using stock photos. For example I've seen transmission photos that don't match the car at all... And, one is often trying to guess whether a part will fit. It is hard to do if the wrong photo is used.

In this case it is just a lazy seller. And, with questions of size, my guess is at least some, probably important detail was missed by the seller in reviewing the stolen photos.

Some sellers use manufacture photos which are clearly stock... That isn't the case here.

Originally Posted by dksix View Post
That's really strange, both sellers having a history going back over a year. If I saw either listing I wouldn't think twice about it being legitimate but still would spend $600 based on 1 picture on something so like a bike.
I'd seriously question a 75% feedback rating. While mistakes happen, it sounds like the seller was less than helpful with fixing the mistakes.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 11-10-15, 12:32 PM
  #10  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 22,737
Mentioned: 167 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8826 Post(s)
Liked 510 Times in 316 Posts
The bike has a front reflector. That's a deal breaker for me.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 11-10-15, 05:00 PM
  #11  
dksix
Senior Member
 
dksix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: North East Tennessee
Posts: 1,619

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4259 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I'd seriously question a 75% feedback rating. While mistakes happen, it sounds like the seller was less than helpful with fixing the mistakes.
I looked at the feedback but did not notice the feedback rating of 75%, that must be as seller. But to me not being perfect seems more like an authentic seller. When I think about eBay scammers I think a new account with only a few buyers but each one leaving multiple and 100% positive. A legitimate item by a bad seller is one thing but this seems to be someone stealing pictures which I wouldn't have noticed looking at either listing.
dksix is offline  
Old 11-10-15, 05:33 PM
  #12  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,528
Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8714 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by dksix View Post
I looked at the feedback but did not notice the feedback rating of 75%, that must be as seller. But to me not being perfect seems more like an authentic seller. When I think about eBay scammers I think a new account with only a few buyers but each one leaving multiple and 100% positive. A legitimate item by a bad seller is one thing but this seems to be someone stealing pictures which I wouldn't have noticed looking at either listing.
I disagree.

I don't worry about 99% positive feedback.

In this case, the seller has one negative and one neutral review (all racked up with less than 10 total).

Wrong item shipped. Offered a refund if I paid to ship it back. What?!?!
Alienware M14 Not Functioning UNSURE OF ISSUE (#271715407208)
We've already determined that he probably doesn't own the bicycle that he has advertised, so I wouldn't touch it if it.

But, even if I didn't know that, in the first case, the seller apparently made an error, and refused to fix it. That is more of a sign of a bad seller than the occasional dissatisfied customer.

And, since he probably doesn't own the bike he has advertised, having a report of shipping the wrong item previously, he may well have just advertised the wrong item, and been surprised when the buyer wasn't satisfied that an item not matching the ad was shipped.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 11-10-15, 07:38 PM
  #13  
dksix
Senior Member
 
dksix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: North East Tennessee
Posts: 1,619

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4259 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@CliffordK
My first post was incorrectly typed, I meant wouldn't spend that much based on 1 picture. With the rest I was just trying to say I wouldn't have been suspicious of the listing being a scam without seeing the other listing. To me being a bad seller isn't the same as a scammer. I've seen obvious scammers on eBay with new accounts that had 15-20 feedbacks by what appears to be 5-6 buyers. In looking at deeper it was a ring of feedback which, in my mind, was 1 person creating a short history and then had a few big ticket items, hoping to pull in a few payments and never ship anything.
dksix is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Homebrew01
Bicycle Mechanics
11
04-04-14 10:13 AM
jimmy_sexton
Bicycle Mechanics
7
09-24-12 09:45 PM
HMF
Road Cycling
5
10-26-10 05:40 PM
joe@vwvortex
Tandem Cycling
6
02-01-10 08:32 PM
lfw
Bicycle Mechanics
31
02-25-09 07:46 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.