Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Would you buy a Specialized bike over a Giant?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Would you buy a Specialized bike over a Giant?

Old 12-10-15, 11:06 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 491
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Would you buy a Specialized bike over a Giant?

Would you buy a Specialized bike over a Giant? A bike shop I'm familiar with, that sold both Giant and Specialized, has dropped the Specialized line because the Specialized price point is now about the same as the Giant price point.
elmore leonard is offline  
Old 12-10-15, 11:10 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Posts: 30,225

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Given the choice, I would choose Specialized over Giant or Trek. Now if you ask me for an objective reason for that preference, I haven't got one. I just prefer Specialized over Giant or Trek.
__________________
My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.
Retro Grouch is offline  
Old 12-10-15, 11:21 AM
  #3  
Seņor Member
 
Wilfred Laurier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,066
Liked 295 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by elmore leonard
Would you buy a Specialized bike over a Giant? A bike shop I'm familiar with, that sold both Giant and Specialized, has dropped the Specialized line because the Specialized price point is now about the same as the Giant price point.
Maybe that's the reason the shop gave, but the big cycle manufacturers (Specialized in particular) sometimes make decisions about dealerships and territories as part of their corporate strategy. I worked in a large shop that sold mostly its own brand of bike, but also brought in bikes from Specialized, because as a Specialized dealer they had access to major clearout and end-of-season deals. Specialized Canada gave the exclusive regional rights to another smaller shop because they thought our shop was not properly representing the Specialized brand. Then they realized that our shop ordered more of their bikes during Spring booking than the other shop was expecting to sell all year. Specialized came back to our shop and suggested we continue to carry a limited selection of their bikes and P&A, but my boss was sufficiently insulted by their initial decision that he decided to completely remove Specialized from the store.
Wilfred Laurier is offline  
Old 12-10-15, 11:31 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bozeman
Posts: 4,094

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't, but that's only because I think Specialized bikes are extremely overpriced and you're essentially paying for the name.
corrado33 is offline  
Old 12-10-15, 11:34 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Central PA
Posts: 4,843

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by elmore leonard
Would you buy a Specialized bike over a Giant? A bike shop I'm familiar with, that sold both Giant and Specialized, has dropped the Specialized line because the Specialized price point is now about the same as the Giant price point.
Why would Specialized bikes supposedly getting as "cheap" as Giant make a shop sell only Giant? Seems odd. Unless those price drops were achieved by cutting into the shop's share of the profits I guess. Seems fishy to me. Also against my general experience that Specialized bikes on the whole are still more expensive than similarly specced Giants.
dr_lha is offline  
Old 12-10-15, 11:42 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 86
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Giant over the Specialized (May of this year) because the same spec bike was about $1000 less expensive. I also like the aesthetics of Giant's line better.
Frreed is offline  
Old 12-10-15, 12:01 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 13,118

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Liked 4,139 Times in 2,668 Posts
I will steer well clear of buying any Specialized products until i hear they have changed their business practices and ethics; in particular, threatening legal action against small bike shops that are in no way competitors for use of names Specialized uses. I had heard rumors of this but paid no attention unti word that Specialized was going after a small shop in Canada that offered a product that did not compete with Specialized at all for using Roubaix in their name. (Roubaix? On old town and race that was been going on 70 years before Specialized existed. But, you say, Specialized "owned" the name? Turns out Fuji's parent company owns the name and allows Specialized to use it and that Specialized's legal firm completely overstepped their bounds.

I'm sorry, but I don't see Specialized as a good player in the bike world. Until they change their ways, they have lost me. And until they make it known to me they h ve changed, the story above will get told some more. They have their ethics, I have mine.

Ben
79pmooney is offline  
Old 12-10-15, 12:02 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,558
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
I'd buy a bike with the features I wanted, at the lowest price. If it happened to be a Specialized, Trek, Giant, C'dale, etc. makes little difference to me.

Although I'd try to support the LBS (Trek dealer), sometimes Trek isn't making what I'm interested in, and so I'd shop another store for that bike (Cannondale Hooligan, two towns over).

If it came down to similar features, similar price, I'd test ride and see if one appealed more than the other, and honestly, it might even come down to which color I liked best.
mconlonx is offline  
Old 12-10-15, 12:05 PM
  #9  
Seņor Member
 
Wilfred Laurier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,066
Liked 295 Times in 218 Posts
I find Specialized mid-priced bikes are so loaded down with proprietary Specialized components that they are much harder to repair and maintain. My buddy had a SJ FSR a few years ago and the specialized-branded freehub died and no replacements were available. So he got a whole new wheel with a Shimano hub... problem solved, until the proprietary rear shock died and he realized it had a Specialized-specific mounting pattern and couldn't be replaced with an aftermarket shock. My friend rides a Norco now.
Wilfred Laurier is offline  
Old 12-10-15, 12:06 PM
  #10  
got the climbing bug
 
jsigone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 10,215

Bikes: one for everything

Liked 934 Times in 282 Posts
I'd buy the one that fits the geometry I'm going for and that has the groupo I want to use. I can care less about the name, I care more for the color schemes. Both will do the job, both have great warranty if needed, both are well made unless you get lower end Spesh carbon which weighs more than alum.
__________________
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
jsigone is offline  
Old 12-10-15, 12:09 PM
  #11  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,595

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,361 Times in 867 Posts
There may be neither sold where I live , then I'd Get a Trek, or something else, which Is.

All 3 are viaTaiwan suppliers, any price differential? , look at the component pick , but

Business wise the guy didn't have room for both ..




<All things being equal, they will be>

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-10-15 at 12:14 PM.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 12-10-15, 12:10 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
rmfnla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: La La Land (We love it!)
Posts: 6,301

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
It used to be that Giant made most of the frames for Specialized...
__________________
Today, I believe my jurisdiction ends here...
rmfnla is offline  
Old 12-10-15, 12:19 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Posts: 12,495

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Liked 739 Times in 459 Posts
Have we all forgotten about the "PR disaster" of Specialized suing Roubaix Wheels in Canada? That was almost exactly 2 years ago. Plenty of people at the time said they wouldn't buy Specialized. Sinyard apologized in the face of massive customer protest, and now all is forgiven?
BlazingPedals is offline  
Old 12-10-15, 12:19 PM
  #14  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,595

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,361 Times in 867 Posts
Merida is another huge Multi brand company , Giant too makes lots of brands of bikes ..

They both sell stuff Self branded , But the contract builds, AFAIK, came first.. .
fietsbob is offline  
Old 12-10-15, 12:34 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Central PA
Posts: 4,843

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Merida is another huge Multi brand company..
That happens to own 49% of Specialized.
dr_lha is offline  
Old 12-10-15, 12:36 PM
  #16  
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 14,274

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,356 Times in 2,909 Posts
I would buy the bike I am looking for with specs and features I want. If that happened to be either one of those brands I would go with them. I probably would avoid Specialized simply because of their brutish nature towards anyone using names they also have used that have existed elsewhere well before Specialized was born. For big brands I would probably go with Jamis because they do a lot with good steel and that makes me happy. Plus they have some nicely spec'd bikes that I would actually have an interest in buying and not doing a whole lot too beyond contact points (saddle, bar tape and pedals)


I do own a Specialized Langster but I bought that used for a great price from our head mechanic at the shop I worked at. It isn't a bad bike, but I probably wouldn't have bought one at a shop unless I worked at a Spec dealer and could get a great price.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 12-10-15, 12:46 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
a1penguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 3,209
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
I wouldn't, but that's only because I think Specialized bikes are extremely overpriced and you're essentially paying for the name.

That was my experience while bike shopping in 2012. I never test rode any Specialized bikes. And I hated the look of the Zertz inserts as well. Unfortunately, I was unable to find a Giant dealer that sold high end road bikes so I test rode Trek, Cannondale and Felt bikes.
a1penguin is offline  
Old 12-10-15, 01:16 PM
  #18  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,595

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,361 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
That happens to own 49% of Specialized.
havent paid attention to the bike corporations stocks exchanges
fietsbob is offline  
Old 12-10-15, 01:59 PM
  #19  
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 13,476

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Liked 2,124 Times in 1,384 Posts
If I do a really close comparison of a Talon 3 and a Pitch Sport both at $700, the Giant wins, but it's not by a long shot. It has a slightly better fork, RD, cassette, and pedals, and it's 9 not 8 speed, but they are broadly similar.
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17
Darth Lefty is offline  
Old 12-10-15, 02:04 PM
  #20  
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 13,476

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Liked 2,124 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
That happens to own 49% of Specialized.
Originally Posted by fietsbob
havent paid attention to the bike corporations stocks exchanges
"Look, Charlie Brown, let's face it. We all know that Christmas is a big commercial racket. It's run by a big Eastern syndicate, you know."
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17
Darth Lefty is offline  
Old 12-10-15, 02:22 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 15,864

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Liked 3,846 Times in 2,014 Posts
I heard Specialized was going to make the town in France pay licensing fees ...



or maybe I just heard myself think that ....
Maelochs is offline  
Old 12-10-15, 02:33 PM
  #22  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 1,245

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Have we all forgotten about the "PR disaster" of Specialized suing Roubaix Wheels in Canada? That was almost exactly 2 years ago. Plenty of people at the time said they wouldn't buy Specialized. Sinyard apologized in the face of massive customer protest, and now all is forgiven?
Now that I know this I plan on buying more specialized products, thanks.
Anyone that litigates against anything Canadian is okay in my book.
Ohh, and anyone that thinks they are actually informed as to the ethics of giant corporations such as Specialized and Trek, etc.. is just plain silly in my book and looking for issues to get butthurt about lol.
bakes1 is offline  
Old 12-10-15, 02:56 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 23,208
Liked 10,647 Times in 6,055 Posts
I would test ride both bikes, ideally a couple of times and on routes like I typically ride, and then decide based on which one made me smile more.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 12-10-15, 03:05 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 367
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
I'd buy a bike with the features I wanted, at the lowest price. If it happened to be a Specialized, Trek, Giant, C'dale, etc. makes little difference to me.
Same here, no brand loyalty. I have a Norco, Kestrel, Giant and a Motobecane. Specialized are 20-30% more expensive than other comparable brands/models (Scott, Felt, Giant, etc) in my area, so usually that rules them out. That being said, they make excellent saddles and I own many.
Xherion is offline  
Old 12-10-15, 03:19 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bozeman
Posts: 4,094

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by a1penguin
That was my experience while bike shopping in 2012. I never test rode any Specialized bikes. And I hated the look of the Zertz inserts as well. Unfortunately, I was unable to find a Giant dealer that sold high end road bikes so I test rode Trek, Cannondale and Felt bikes.
That's the exact reason I think they are overpriced as well. I went bike shopping in 2014 and when I got the the specialized store, similarly specced bikes were at least $500 more than Raleigh or Giant. Considering I was only shopping for a $1000 bike, that's a significant amount.
corrado33 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.