Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wore the paint off of my drive side chain stay

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Wore the paint off of my drive side chain stay

Old 03-13-16, 12:47 AM
  #1  
bhdavis1978
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 379

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite, Jamis Citizen 3.0, Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wore the paint off of my drive side chain stay

On Friday morning I noticed that I had wore a large section of paint off of the drive side chain stay on my bike.



I'm kind of sad about it, because I rather like my bike and it bothers me to have such a large abrasion to it's finish. I kind of want to sell my carbon fibre road bike that I ride a few times a year and use that money towards getting a new frame. I've debated getting a custom steel frame before- this wouldn't cover that, but it would go away towards it. I know it's totally crazy. I just hate how it looks. Anyway, it's a steel framed bike, so how much of a problem is this? Do I need to get the frame painted? Do I need to be worried about frame strength? I assume it has happened because of heal strikes when I'm riding.

What do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CdZHrJSVIAAgfS9.jpg (38.3 KB, 94 views)
bhdavis1978 is offline  
Old 03-13-16, 01:53 AM
  #2  
bike_galpal
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 417

Bikes: Swobo Sanchez 3x1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
don't think you need to worry about frame strength until it gets really rusty - which i think is the main concern. it will need some kind of protection from the elements. i don't think it would be too hard to touch it up and get it almost completely unnoticeable even from the trained eye. i don't know a ton about paint, but auto paint would be a really good bet! its the only paint that can really compete with powdercoat. it might be pricey but if you find a custom auto painter they could probably match it for you, and give you plenty left over for other touch ups. you could of course try some hardware store paint and clear coat but i'm pretty sure that wont last long.
bike_galpal is offline  
Old 03-13-16, 01:53 AM
  #3  
goraman
Senior Member
 
goraman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's nothing.
Less than nothing.
wire brush it tape off the area, wipe it down with a little paint thinner then shoot some primer over it, then a coat of paint.
Ride and at some point repeat.
Just keep the rust away , Never fall in love with metal.
goraman is offline  
Old 03-13-16, 07:24 AM
  #4  
spdracr39
Senior Member
 
spdracr39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cabot, Arkansas
Posts: 1,539

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cover it with a little clear coat and get a wrap around chainstay protector to cover the damage. It will also keep you from rubbing it any further.
spdracr39 is offline  
Old 03-13-16, 07:43 AM
  #5  
Moe Zhoost
Half way there
 
Moe Zhoost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,220

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Put some paint on to prevent corrosion and then cover it with leather. Lizard Skins sells chainstay protectors but you may want to make your own.
Moe Zhoost is offline  
Old 03-13-16, 07:50 AM
  #6  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 22,217
Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8443 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 149 Posts
The real questions is why is your foot rubbing like that. That doesn't look like it happened during one ride.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 03-13-16, 08:04 AM
  #7  
Homebrew01
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Posts: 21,022

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
The real questions is why is your foot rubbing like that. That doesn't look like it happened during one ride.
yup
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike.

FYI: http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Homebrew01 is online now  
Old 03-13-16, 03:02 PM
  #8  
bhdavis1978
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 379

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite, Jamis Citizen 3.0, Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gaytrash View Post
don't think you need to worry about frame strength until it gets really rusty - which i think is the main concern. it will need some kind of protection from the elements. i don't think it would be too hard to touch it up and get it almost completely unnoticeable even from the trained eye. i don't know a ton about paint, but auto paint would be a really good bet! its the only paint that can really compete with powdercoat. it might be pricey but if you find a custom auto painter they could probably match it for you, and give you plenty left over for other touch ups. you could of course try some hardware store paint and clear coat but i'm pretty sure that wont last long.
Originally Posted by goraman View Post
It's nothing.
Less than nothing.
wire brush it tape off the area, wipe it down with a little paint thinner then shoot some primer over it, then a coat of paint.
Ride and at some point repeat.
Just keep the rust away , Never fall in love with metal.
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Cover it with a little clear coat and get a wrap around chainstay protector to cover the damage. It will also keep you from rubbing it any further.
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost View Post
Put some paint on to prevent corrosion and then cover it with leather. Lizard Skins sells chainstay protectors but you may want to make your own.
Thanks for the insights folks, I appreciate it. The idea to use auto paint is a good one. I also have a ding on the top tube of that bike that I also hate but isn't a structural problem, and I bet I could get a auto body shop to fill it for me and then get the whole thing repainted. I really appreciate the suggestions, I'm going to look into it this week.

I'l also check the chain stay protectors. Vero-Orange makes some leather ones, but they seem like they won't be large enough so I'm going to ask if they can custom make a slightly larger one for me.
bhdavis1978 is offline  
Old 03-13-16, 03:09 PM
  #9  
bhdavis1978
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 379

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite, Jamis Citizen 3.0, Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
The real questions is why is your foot rubbing like that. That doesn't look like it happened during one ride.
Originally Posted by Homebrew01 View Post
yup
My feet turn out quite a lot. For most people, their big toe is directly in line from their heel, my feet are rotated on at least a 45 degree angle, and sometimes closer to 60, so when my toes are hooked into the pedals, it tends to force my heel in even further still. It's not an easy thing to correct- I've talked with an orthopedic surgeon about it (not because of this specifically, I tend to get a lot of back pain and the surgeon said that I don't carry my weight 'normally' and part of it was because how far my legs are turned out).

Anyway, here's a picture of my shoes. https://goo.gl/photos/PwgGWUBsF6DyGAaY9

If anyone has any suggestions about what I can do to correct it, I'm all ears (eyes?). At the time the surgeon said the only option to correct the problem was surgery and I didn't question him (I was 15, so why would I?), but I'm no longer convinced that it's correct. I just haven't spent any time looking into other options.

Brad
bhdavis1978 is offline  
Old 03-13-16, 03:18 PM
  #10  
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 17,528

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Somewhere, maybe a bike shop, I saw thin metal chainstay protectors with sticky tape on the back. Paint the bike and find one on the interwebz.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=metal+...16&FORM=CHROMN
2manybikes is offline  
Old 03-13-16, 08:44 PM
  #11  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
I recently got some Gorilla tape for chainstay protection. Seems like it should work fairly well for this case.
unterhausen is offline  
Old 03-13-16, 11:23 PM
  #12  
Velo Dog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northern Nevada
Posts: 3,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
The real questions is why is your foot rubbing like that. That doesn't look like it happened during one ride.
Yeah, this.^^^^ I have this problem occasionally because I wear size 16 shoes, but this looks like it's hitting the stay a lot.
On the plus side, I don't see how it could cause structural problems on a steel frame. I'd either paint or not (just the spot, not the whole frame) and put tape or something over it. But I like to see a bike look like it's been used.
Velo Dog is offline  
Old 03-14-16, 01:50 AM
  #13  
bike_galpal
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 417

Bikes: Swobo Sanchez 3x1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes View Post
Somewhere, maybe a bike shop, I saw thin metal chainstay protectors with sticky tape on the back. Paint the bike and find one on the interwebz.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=metal+...16&FORM=CHROMN

the real question is why you would link to a bing search
bike_galpal is offline  
Old 03-14-16, 05:48 AM
  #14  
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 17,528

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gaytrash View Post
the real question is why you would link to a bing search
The real question is why you would question a post of a link to a bing search.
2manybikes is offline  
Old 03-14-16, 07:16 AM
  #15  
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Posts: 10,895

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
If that's from your heels hitting the frame, you need some KneeSavers(tm) to put the pedals out further. I agree with the idea of a bigger chainstay protector to cover it up. Get one that looks like carbon, and you'll be adding bling.
BlazingPedals is offline  
Old 03-14-16, 07:26 AM
  #16  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 22,217
Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8443 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 149 Posts
OP: Do you have a carbon crank. I ask because years ago the metal "insert"--where the pedal screws in--of my SRAM Force crack started to pull out a bit. That caused pedal misalignment which resulted on my heel rubbing against the chain stay somewhat frequently.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 03-14-16, 08:30 PM
  #17  
bhdavis1978
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 379

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite, Jamis Citizen 3.0, Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do not have a carbon crank, it's a cheap FSA Gossamer crank. I'd like to replace it with a Shimano 5703 or 6703 crank, but they are so pricy. On the other hand, I think it'll be hard to get a replacement triple crank if/when this one needs replacing. Although I think with cranks all you need to do is replace the chainrings, short of something catastrophic happening to it, right?
bhdavis1978 is offline  
Old 03-15-16, 01:19 PM
  #18  
blakcloud 
Senior Member
 
blakcloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,885

Bikes: Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Brompton S/M3L (modified), custom Winter (Eric Estlund) bike on order.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After you repaint or clear coat. You could wrap an old inner tube around the chainstay for extra protection or you could use twine (the Rivendell Method). Also have you thought about pedal extenders?
blakcloud is offline  
Old 03-15-16, 02:16 PM
  #19  
Korina
Happy banana slug
 
Korina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way
Posts: 1,013

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 2016 Giant Live Rove Lite, 2004 Giant OCR1, 1993 Women's Giant Rincon, 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp (frame)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bhdavis1978 View Post
If anyone has any suggestions about what I can do to correct it, I'm all ears (eyes?). At the time the surgeon said the only option to correct the problem was surgery and I didn't question him (I was 15, so why would I?), but I'm no longer convinced that it's correct. I just haven't spent any time looking into other options.

Brad
Dude, see a doctor. There is no reason you should have to live like this. It may take surgery, but to me it'd be worth it. Especially as it's causing you pain and you live in Canada. Ignoring it won't make it better.
Korina is offline  
Old 03-15-16, 02:40 PM
  #20  
corrado33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bozeman
Posts: 4,135

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina View Post
Dude, see a doctor. There is no reason you should have to live like this. It may take surgery, but to me it'd be worth it. Especially as it's causing you pain and you live in Canada. Ignoring it won't make it better.
I'm pretty sure that fixing this would require breaking of bones and ample healing time. (At least that's what they did for my friend's little boy.)
corrado33 is offline  
Old 03-15-16, 04:26 PM
  #21  
bhdavis1978
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 379

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite, Jamis Citizen 3.0, Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina View Post
Dude, see a doctor. There is no reason you should have to live like this. It may take surgery, but to me it'd be worth it. Especially as it's causing you pain and you live in Canada. Ignoring it won't make it better.
Originally Posted by corrado33 View Post
I'm pretty sure that fixing this would require breaking of bones and ample healing time. (At least that's what they did for my friend's little boy.)
Yeah, it's major surgery and many months of recovery. At the time they explained they would have to cut the bone and rotate the bones. In order to keep everything in place they would have to attach an external frame to my hips to hold the legs still while the bone healed. And then the muscles would take a long time to regrow after that much in activity- plus the muscle would have been distributed through out my legs in the incorrect place given the new adjusted positioning of my bones. So recovery would be a very long process. And now i have 3 small children that I have to hold down a job to look after. Plus it would be a lot for my wife to be basically a single parent while I was in the hospital.

And it's true, I'm in Canada so I don't have to pay for the surgery- but that doesn't mean I can just walk into a surgeons office to get it done. I would have to be referred to a surgeon, the surgeon would have to find time to take me into his practice, and then agree to do the surgery. The last time I got tubes put in my year the entire process took 9 months from the day I went to the doctor cause I couldn't hear properly until the tube was installed. When I lived in the states and I needed to get tubes put in?? I had them the next day. In fact, my hearing in one ear is pretty mediocre at times, but it takes 3-6 months to get an appointment w/ an ENT in Vancouver, and the last two times I did that, by the time I got in there they said my hearing was fine. I tried to explain that's because the fluid in my ear is very thick and sometimes it causes problems and sometimes it doesn't, and he didn't believe me. I asked them to call my doctor in St. Paul, MN. He said that it didn't matter, I didn't have any difficulty hearing on that day. SO it was settled. Two appointments over 9 months to be told my hearing is fine when I know it isn't? It's annoying.
bhdavis1978 is offline  
Old 03-15-16, 04:41 PM
  #22  
corrado33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bozeman
Posts: 4,135

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bhdavis1978 View Post
Yeah, it's major surgery and many months of recovery. At the time they explained they would have to cut the bone and rotate the bones. In order to keep everything in place they would have to attach an external frame to my hips to hold the legs still while the bone healed. And then the muscles would take a long time to regrow after that much in activity- plus the muscle would have been distributed through out my legs in the incorrect place given the new adjusted positioning of my bones. So recovery would be a very long process. And now i have 3 small children that I have to hold down a job to look after. Plus it would be a lot for my wife to be basically a single parent while I was in the hospital.

And it's true, I'm in Canada so I don't have to pay for the surgery- but that doesn't mean I can just walk into a surgeons office to get it done. I would have to be referred to a surgeon, the surgeon would have to find time to take me into his practice, and then agree to do the surgery. The last time I got tubes put in my year the entire process took 9 months from the day I went to the doctor cause I couldn't hear properly until the tube was installed. When I lived in the states and I needed to get tubes put in?? I had them the next day. In fact, my hearing in one ear is pretty mediocre at times, but it takes 3-6 months to get an appointment w/ an ENT in Vancouver, and the last two times I did that, by the time I got in there they said my hearing was fine. I tried to explain that's because the fluid in my ear is very thick and sometimes it causes problems and sometimes it doesn't, and he didn't believe me. I asked them to call my doctor in St. Paul, MN. He said that it didn't matter, I didn't have any difficulty hearing on that day. SO it was settled. Two appointments over 9 months to be told my hearing is fine when I know it isn't? It's annoying.
I've heard horror stories from both sides (US and Canada). However, I'd much rather wait a few months than have a multi thousand dollar bill when I eventually DO get the surgery.
corrado33 is offline  
Old 03-15-16, 04:52 PM
  #23  
bhdavis1978
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 379

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite, Jamis Citizen 3.0, Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33 View Post
I've heard horror stories from both sides (US and Canada). However, I'd much rather wait a few months than have a multi thousand dollar bill when I eventually DO get the surgery.
Unsurprisingly, there are benefits and drawbacks to both systems. I definitely had much better access to care in the United States than I did in Canada. I could get into my doctor much easier, my doctor had much more time for me (I would get at least 15 minutes with my doctor at each appointment, we'd go over the reason I was there, plus a general follow up, they'd ask about my well being in general,etc), it was very comfortable. I could get any scan I needed, often within a half hour in the same office, and always within a day. The facilities were beautiful and clean and comfortable. And we had really excellent insurance so we never had to pay for almost anything out of pocket (benefits of being a university employee). On the other hand a lot of Americans (it seems) do not have anywhere near adequate access to health care, and it also seems like it's taking the market a VERY long time to come up with a good market based solution (of course, there are economic models that show that to generate a good profit, it's impossible to be able to provide a service to everyone who wants to use it, but I digress). And that bothered both my wife and I.

In Canada, I can usually get into my doctors for an appointment within a week, within a day if it's really important- but the offices are spartan and bare. My appointments are usually less than 5 minutes, and they're single issue- no general health tracking. In the US they'd take my weight, blood pressure, temperature, pulse, etc. full vitals. I don't get any of that now (and I should say, I really like my doctor- I think I get good care). But (mostly) everyone is covered and very few people go bankrupt because of a lack of coverage. I still think there is room for improvement here, especially with respect to prescription drug access, but things are pretty good for the most part. Acute stuff tends to get taken care of.
bhdavis1978 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.