General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Breaking Away Movie Blooper

Old 03-24-16, 12:57 PM
  #1  
techsensei
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Breaking Away Movie Blooper

I've watched the movie Breaking Away dozens if not hundreds of times since I first saw it in the theater back in 1979. I watched it again last night. During the Cinzano 100 bike race, after Dave has his gear switched to the small cog by the Cinzano rider, Dave pulls back up alongside the Italians. Right at that moment, I never realized before that he is not riding the Masi. The bike in that scene has randonneur handlebars, and Dia Compe brakes.
techsensei is offline  
Old 03-24-16, 01:00 PM
  #2  
Dan Burkhart 
Senior member
 
Dan Burkhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oakville Ontario
Posts: 7,304
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by techsensei View Post
I've watched the movie Breaking Away dozens if not hundreds of times since I first saw it in the theater back in 1979. I watched it again last night. During the Cinzano 100 bike race, after Dave has his gear switched to the small cog by the Cinzano rider, Dave pulls back up alongside the Italians. Right at that moment, I never realized before that he is not riding the Masi. The bike in that scene has randonneur handlebars, and Dia Compe brakes.
You know you're not supposed to notice stuff like that. Suspend your disbelief man.
Dan Burkhart is offline  
Old 03-24-16, 01:16 PM
  #3  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,396

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6899 Post(s)
Liked 239 Times in 197 Posts
Catching That was the job of the continuity guy, Maybe to cut costs of production they either didn't Hire one or it didn't matter to the editor .

IMDB.com likes to point out the continuity problems in movies after they're released ,

see if they are interesting in Bike Geeks spotting Things like that and want to add that..
fietsbob is offline  
Old 03-24-16, 06:24 PM
  #4  
exmechanic89
Senior Member
 
exmechanic89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Richmond VA area
Posts: 2,717

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That movie is loaded with bloopers. Like where a group of Americans with virtually no cycling experience beat a bunch of Italian professional racers. Or is that part of the 'suspending your disbelief' thing..?
exmechanic89 is offline  
Old 03-24-16, 07:57 PM
  #5  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,457

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
When Stoller is drafting Cinzano's semi, he is in the small ring.
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 03-25-16, 06:22 AM
  #6  
Looigi
Senior Member
 
Looigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,950
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Considering how movies are made, I find it remarkable how well they do at piecing it together to give the illusion of continuity.
Looigi is offline  
Old 03-25-16, 09:37 AM
  #7  
Agent Cooper
Senior Member
 
Agent Cooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Black Lodge
Posts: 327

Bikes: '04 Cannondale T800, '00 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
Considering how movies are made, I find it remarkable how well they do at piecing it together to give the illusion of continuity.

This.

Movie scenes are almost never shot in chronological order. Continuity has to be a very tough job sometimes.
Agent Cooper is offline  
Old 03-25-16, 10:02 AM
  #8  
bykemike 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: st augustine fl
Posts: 748

Bikes: 2006 Pinarello F4:13, all Sram Red 10, 2008 Specialized Tarmac, all Sram Force 22, Fuji Touring bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
When Stoller is drafting Cinzano's semi, he is in the small ring.

yeah +1 on that, I caught that about the 50th time I watched it.
__________________
"ready to navigate"
bykemike is offline  
Old 03-25-16, 11:21 AM
  #9  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,457

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by bykemike View Post
yeah +1 on that, I caught that about the 50th time I watched it.
Even if that was a 49t small ring, he'd still have to be spinning like crazy at that speed.
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 03-28-16, 03:36 PM
  #10  
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids
 
Repack Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Marin County, California
Posts: 378

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2013 Trek Rumblefish, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2 and LeMond road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 28 Times in 8 Posts
I was at a dinner with Dennis Christopher a few years ago, and I got to ask him the question that has bugged me for decades. How many takes to scoop up the notebook?

Turned out that it was one take, in fact the rehearsal for the real take, but Dennis picked it up perfectly on the first try, and the director just kept the scene rolling.

You might be disappointed to learn that Dennis is gay and smokes cigarettes. Says he still has the Masi, but it hangs on the wall.

The chainring blooper has been common knowledge since the first time I saw the film.

Repack Rider is offline  
Old 03-28-16, 04:40 PM
  #11  
B Chris
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Houston
Posts: 35

Bikes: Romic Custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exmechanic89 View Post
That movie is loaded with bloopers. Like where a group of Americans with virtually no cycling experience beat a bunch of Italian professional racers. Or is that part of the 'suspending your disbelief' thing..?
Granted, I haven't seen the movie in many years, but I don't remember the scene you are describing at all. In the Italian racer scene, didn't they cruise off down the road and only Dave could bridge up? For a little while anyway. Painfully funny scene.
B Chris is offline  
Old 03-28-16, 04:44 PM
  #12  
techsensei
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B Chris View Post
Granted, I haven't seen the movie in many years, but I don't remember the scene you are describing at all. In the Italian racer scene, didn't they cruise off down the road and only Dave could bridge up?
Methinks he is confusing the Cinzano 100 where Dave is taken down by the Italians, with the Little 500, where Dave beats the Frat boys.
techsensei is offline  
Old 03-28-16, 05:44 PM
  #13  
exmechanic89
Senior Member
 
exmechanic89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Richmond VA area
Posts: 2,717

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B Chris View Post
Granted, I haven't seen the movie in many years, but I don't remember the scene you are describing at all. In the Italian racer scene, didn't they cruise off down the road and only Dave could bridge up? For a little while anyway. Painfully funny scene.
I havent seen the movie in years either but I do remember the Italians having to cheat because apparently 'Dave' was such a great rider they couldnt beat him. I've always put that movie in the same category as 'The Karate Kid', which was just as ridiculous. Both movies could've been good, but instead they were loaded with stereotypes and a preposterous story.
exmechanic89 is offline  
Old 03-28-16, 05:47 PM
  #14  
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 38,228

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1913 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
I was at a dinner with Dennis Christopher a few years ago, and I got to ask him the question that has bugged me for decades. How many takes to scoop up the notebook?

Turned out that it was one take, in fact the rehearsal for the real take, but Dennis picked it up perfectly on the first try, and the director just kept the scene rolling.

You might be disappointed to learn that Dennis is gay and smokes cigarettes. Says he still has the Masi, but it hangs on the wall.

The chainring blooper has been common knowledge since the first time I saw the film.

I am not disappointed to learn that Dennis Christopher is gay. It's not my business and I'm not sure why it's worth mentioning. Or supposing that someone would be disappointed.
caloso is offline  
Old 03-28-16, 05:53 PM
  #15  
exmechanic89
Senior Member
 
exmechanic89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Richmond VA area
Posts: 2,717

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
I am not disappointed to learn that Dennis Christopher is gay. It's not my business and I'm not sure why it's worth mentioning. Or supposing that someone would be disappointed.
I agree, not sure how his sexual orientation was worth mentioning or 'disappointing'.
exmechanic89 is offline  
Old 03-28-16, 06:00 PM
  #16  
techsensei
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exmechanic89 View Post
I do remember the Italians having to cheat because apparently 'Dave' was such a great rider they couldnt beat him. I've always put that movie in the same category as 'The Karate Kid', which was just as ridiculous. Both movies could've been good, but instead they were loaded with stereotypes and a preposterous story.
Maybe they seem preposterous because we don't see the part where Mike and Daniel-san take PED.
techsensei is offline  
Old 03-28-16, 07:44 PM
  #17  
Hot Potato
Senior Member
 
Hot Potato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Western Chicagoland
Posts: 1,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exmechanic89 View Post
I havent seen the movie in years either but I do remember the Italians having to cheat because apparently 'Dave' was such a great rider they couldnt beat him. I've always put that movie in the same category as 'The Karate Kid', which was just as ridiculous. Both movies could've been good, but instead they were loaded with stereotypes and a preposterous story.
Nah. The Italians were on a public relations ride. They expected to leave the locals behind and enjoy a nice soft pedal for pay. But this kid kept struggling up to them while they were taking it easy, so they shoved a ?pump? Into his spokes to get rid of the annoying poser.
Hot Potato is offline  
Old 03-28-16, 07:55 PM
  #18  
Dave Cutter
Senior Member
 
Dave Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: D'uh... I am a Cutter
Posts: 6,163

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by techsensei View Post
I've watched the movie Breaking Away dozens if not hundreds of times since I first saw it in the theater back in 1979. I watched it again last night. During the Cinzano 100 bike race, after Dave has his gear switched to the small cog by the Cinzano rider, Dave pulls back up alongside the Italians. Right at that moment, I never realized before that he is not riding the Masi. The bike in that scene has randonneur handlebars, and Dia Compe brakes.

The bike was a Sears Free Spirit that was painted and hand decaled (Masi refused to supply a set of decals this bike) for the film in Indiana. This was the bike that was used for the scene when the Italian rider sticks the pump in the front wheel of Dave’s bike. It also appears in the Cinzano 100 race scenes where there are front shots of Dave. You can tell because this bike has Weinmann brakes. The brake cable on a Weinmann sidepull brake is on the right side not on the left as in the Campagnolo brakes.

I own this movie... and many others on DVD (and blue ray). In the harsh Midwestern winter months I watch cycling movies and wrench on project bikes to make-up for lost cycling time.

Breaking away... isn't a great cycling movie. But it is a classic and for whatever reasons... it works.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 03-28-16 at 08:22 PM.
Dave Cutter is offline  
Old 03-28-16, 08:00 PM
  #19  
ypsetihw
Senior Member
 
ypsetihw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,109

Bikes: s-1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NERDS!!! but seriously this movie cycles through the local channels once in a while and I only have caught a few minutes at a time. methinks a full watch-through is becoming necessary . . .
ypsetihw is offline  
Old 03-28-16, 08:06 PM
  #20  
Dave Cutter
Senior Member
 
Dave Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: D'uh... I am a Cutter
Posts: 6,163

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by exmechanic89 View Post
.... not sure how his sexual orientation was worth mentioning or 'disappointing'.
Unless maybe the poster was female? (My bad/failed attempt at humor).

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 03-28-16 at 08:20 PM.
Dave Cutter is offline  
Old 03-28-16, 08:18 PM
  #21  
rossiny
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 421

Bikes: Rossin,Raleigh,Casati

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
cry..u burst my bubble

Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
I was at a dinner with Dennis Christopher a few years ago, and I got to ask him the question that has bugged me for decades. How many takes to scoop up the notebook?

Turned out that it was one take, in fact the rehearsal for the real take, but Dennis picked it up perfectly on the first try, and the director just kept the scene rolling.

You might be disappointed to learn that Dennis is gay and smokes cigarettes. Says he still has the Masi, but it hangs on the wall.

The chainring blooper has been common knowledge since the first time I saw the film.

Why di u have to tell me that ....I loved that movie. I loved when his mom made him the passport for him and told him he could travel and go any where. I felt his mom really loved him was explaining all the possibilities his live had and he can steer his own path... Almost made me cry....cry.. Cry cry.....
rossiny is offline  
Old 03-28-16, 08:20 PM
  #22  
rossiny
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 421

Bikes: Rossin,Raleigh,Casati

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not that there's any thing wrong witb being gay...to quote Seinfeld.. But great movie showed a lot about life..
rossiny is offline  
Old 03-29-16, 04:59 AM
  #23  
IndianaRecRider
LET'S RIDE!!
 
IndianaRecRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 1,732

Bikes: 2013 Fuji Absolute 1.4

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love this movie, bloopers and all.

Watching it in its entirety, along with American Flyers, is a Springtime tradition I've done every year for about the past 20 years or so.

IndianaRecRider is offline  
Old 03-30-16, 06:55 PM
  #24  
KJK
Senior Member
 
KJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 73

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Super Leggera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post
Breaking away... isn't a great cycling movie. But it is a classic and for whatever reasons... it works.
This.
I just enjoy it for what it is.
KJK is offline  
Old 03-31-16, 12:51 AM
  #25  
devianb
Senior Member
 
devianb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 812

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post

You might be disappointed to learn that Dennis...still has the Masi, but it hangs on the wall.
Edited quote for disappointing part
devianb is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.