Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

If you ever wondered if those eBay solar sleeves are any good...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

If you ever wondered if those eBay solar sleeves are any good...

Old 06-10-16, 08:03 PM
  #1  
eastbay71
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eastbay71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 691

Bikes: the bikes own me

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you ever wondered if those eBay solar sleeves are any good...

I have a skin condition similar to eczema that is caused by exposure to the sun's UV rays. When I ride I have to cover up as much as possible. Sunscreen makes no difference and can make the condition worse if it has PABA in it. Name brand solar sleeves can be really expensive so I thought I would give some cheap eBay solar sleeves a try. Well that certainly wasn't worth it. I've had to stay indoors for the last 4 days after having a massive flare up on my arms. Obviouosly the eBay sleeves did not protect me. From now on I'll stick with the real ones.

Last edited by eastbay71; 06-11-16 at 07:22 AM.
eastbay71 is offline  
Old 06-10-16, 08:20 PM
  #2  
exmechanic89
Senior Member
 
exmechanic89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Richmond VA area
Posts: 2,713

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Are solar sleeves just meant to protect you from the Sun's rays? I hadnt heard of these until your post. I wonder if they make something to protect your neck too? I"usually put something around my neck to keep it from getting too much sun, but I havent founf a really good solution yet.
exmechanic89 is offline  
Old 06-10-16, 10:37 PM
  #3  
eastbay71
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eastbay71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 691

Bikes: the bikes own me

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@exmechanic89 Yes they are a lot like arm warmers but lighter in weight. You see them marketed to golfers a lot. This pari from Pearl Izumi goes for $29.95 Pearl Izumi Sun Sleeves - Arm, Knee & Leg Warmers | Backcountry.com They claim an SPF rating of 50. I have a couple pair of Nike sleeves that work well. I haven't found a good solution for my neck yet. I use a bandana but it rides down below my collar a lot of times.

These are the sleeves I bought from eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/UV-Solar-Gol...item3a95a19c85

Last edited by eastbay71; 06-10-16 at 10:42 PM.
eastbay71 is offline  
Old 06-10-16, 11:00 PM
  #4  
TenSpeedV2
Senior Member
 
TenSpeedV2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,349

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I have that pair of PI sun sleeves and to me, they are way too hot to ride in during the warmer months. I was using those with a jersey in 45 weather and they were keeping me rather warm. I don't think I could throw them on now in the summer.
TenSpeedV2 is offline  
Old 06-11-16, 06:03 PM
  #5  
exmechanic89
Senior Member
 
exmechanic89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Richmond VA area
Posts: 2,713

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eastbay71 View Post
@exmechanic89 Yes they are a lot like arm warmers but lighter in weight. You see them marketed to golfers a lot. This pari from Pearl Izumi goes for $29.95 Pearl Izumi Sun Sleeves - Arm, Knee & Leg Warmers | Backcountry.com They claim an SPF rating of 50. I have a couple pair of Nike sleeves that work well. I haven't found a good solution for my neck yet. I use a bandana but it rides down below my collar a lot of times.

These are the sleeves I bought from eBay UV Solar Golf Arm Sleeves Arm Coolers Cycling Skin Protection Sleeve Cover | eBay
Thanks for the info, I'll check that out.
exmechanic89 is offline  
Old 06-11-16, 07:39 PM
  #6  
eastbay71
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eastbay71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 691

Bikes: the bikes own me

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2 View Post
I have that pair of PI sun sleeves and to me, they are way too hot to ride in during the warmer months.
You may be thinking of the arm warmers. The solar sleeves are pretty lightweight. I saw a set at Sports Basement today that were called arm coolers
eastbay71 is offline  
Old 06-11-16, 11:15 PM
  #7  
TenSpeedV2
Senior Member
 
TenSpeedV2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,349

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by eastbay71 View Post
You may be thinking of the arm warmers. The solar sleeves are pretty lightweight. I saw a set at Sports Basement today that were called arm coolers
Nope. These are the exact pair that I have: Pearl Izumi Sun Sleeves - Arm Warmers | Competitive Cyclist
TenSpeedV2 is offline  
Old 06-12-16, 05:46 AM
  #8  
Road Fan
Senior Member
 
Road Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 15,267

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by eastbay71 View Post
I have a skin condition similar to eczema that is caused by exposure to the sun's UV rays. When I ride I have to cover up as much as possible. Sunscreen makes no difference and can make the condition worse if it has PABA in it. Name brand solar sleeves can be really expensive so I thought I would give some cheap eBay solar sleeves a try. Well that certainly wasn't worth it. I've had to stay indoors for the last 4 days after having a massive flare up on my arms. Obviouosly the eBay sleeves did not protect me. From now on I'll stick with the real ones.
I'm not a doctor, but there are two types of UV protection. UVB protection is rated by SPF, and it prevents sunburn and suntan (maybe skin cancer as well?). It's totally irrelevant for UVA protection. UVA rays are critical because they are a potential cause of skin cancer. Sunscreens that do both are labelled "Broad Spectrum," and can only be labelled that way if they provide both types of protection.

Question is, do sun-blocking clothing provide broad spectrum protection?

One comment my dermatologist made, is that "optical coverage" is important. Fabrics are a mesh, and there are little gaps where the sun can leak through. If the fabric doesn't look opaque, it can't really be giving you a high SPF. There may be high SPF where the thread is, but not in the gaps between the threads. if the gaps are 20% of the surface area, you can't have effective protection greater than 80%, whatever SPF that corresponds to.

At least this is how I see it, based on some inputs from the Doc.
Road Fan is offline  
Old 06-12-16, 07:06 AM
  #9  
gear64
Senior Member
 
gear64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: STL Missouri
Posts: 437

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 49 Posts
Looking at the material listed in the links, I was wondering how these are different from long sleeve tshirt/jersey?
gear64 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
tyler_fred
Classic & Vintage
20
02-11-16 08:51 AM
bikebreak
General Cycling Discussion
7
11-25-13 04:43 PM
fritter
Road Cycling
6
09-25-11 10:59 PM
20grit
Classic & Vintage
4
10-26-10 01:44 PM
cabcasey
General Cycling Discussion
3
08-02-10 02:34 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.