Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How fer did you ride today?!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How fer did you ride today?!

Old 12-24-22, 09:11 PM
  #4601  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Redmond, WA & Bangkok, Thailand
Posts: 583

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Liked 408 Times in 232 Posts
Today was my Christmas Day ride at Sky Lane just outside of Bangkok. Sky Lane is a 23.5 kilometer bike only cycling path that goes around the perimeter of Suvarnabhumi International airport. Itís a very nice set up with lots of cycling related shops and places to eat at the entry/exit point to the track. The track is free to use but you do have to register which gives you a wrist band to enter and exit. There were literally hundreds of people out riding today as it is busy on the weekends. I took a few photos of some of the big groups of riders that came by. This was at about 8:00am this morning on Christmas Day. I rode three laps today for just over 70 kilometers total.




Last edited by SpeedyBlueBiker; 12-24-22 at 09:17 PM.
SpeedyBlueBiker is offline  
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 12-29-22, 07:13 PM
  #4602  
Senior Member
 
biker128pedal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern VA
Posts: 1,746

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Liked 472 Times in 274 Posts
Been riding the trainer and mountain biking but today was a warm 60 F. So after I dropped and cleaned up a rotted tree I got to go for a road ride on the Domane. Extended my back road out and back for a 29.6 mile round trip. Temperature did drop to 48 F by the time I got home. Still sunny.



biker128pedal is offline  
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 12-29-22, 08:16 PM
  #4603  
Grupetto Bob
 
rsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 6,595

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Liked 6,130 Times in 3,133 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
15 on Zwift. 30 to go to hit the magic 5000 for the year. Then i will take the rest of the year off.
I lied. Did another 17 today as part of Gran Fondo training.
__________________
Road 🚴🏾‍♂️ & Mountain 🚵🏾‍♂️







rsbob is offline  
Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-30-22, 06:51 PM
  #4604  
Senior Member
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 7,719

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 3,212 Times in 2,041 Posts
51 miles just in time for the monsoon.
__________________
-YMMV
Troul is offline  
Old 01-01-23, 07:23 PM
  #4605  
Senior Member
 
biker128pedal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern VA
Posts: 1,746

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Liked 472 Times in 274 Posts
Stayed off the wet mountain bike trails today. For the New Year road 47 miles on the road. Almost the same route as last year on the 1st. The roads were still a little wet in the shade.

Road through town. Pretty empty.


Then down along the York River. Cooled off close to the water.
biker128pedal is offline  
Old 01-01-23, 07:28 PM
  #4606  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,358

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Liked 5,307 Times in 2,268 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Stayed off the wet mountain bike trails today. For the New Year road 47 miles on the road. Almost the same route as last year on the 1st. The roads were still a little wet in the shade.

Road through town. Pretty empty.


Then down along the York River. Cooled off close to the water.

How are the drivers towards cyclist on that side of the river? Iíve been thinking about riding Willyburg, Westpoint, down to Gloucester, yorktown back to Williamsburg.
The roads in Gloucester seem a little sketch.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 01-01-23, 07:28 PM
  #4607  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,358

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Liked 5,307 Times in 2,268 Posts
75 miles today. 2 flat tires.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 01-01-23, 07:54 PM
  #4608  
Senior Member
 
biker128pedal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern VA
Posts: 1,746

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Liked 472 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
How are the drivers towards cyclist on that side of the river? Iíve been thinking about riding Willyburg, Westpoint, down to Gloucester, yorktown back to Williamsburg.
The roads in Gloucester seem a little sketch.
Iíve done the loop from home in Gloucester years ago. I donít have the time these days. Want to ride to Willyburg Trek and home one day. Some of the local riders did the loop a couple years ago.

These days in Gloucester since the state added the drunk bumps on the right hand white lines I mountain bike more. As for your plan there are ways. Most drivers are courteous. There are a few dummies that pass in the curves.

Coming from West Point Iíd avoid the Rt 14 cut over and keep on Rt 198 to Rt 17. These have shoulders. Rt 14 not so much. The back roads on the eastern side of Rt 17 arenít bad above the court house. But straight down Rt 17 is the shortest.

Below the Court house there are some sections without shoulders. East side side roads take longer but less traveled. If I recall correctly South on Rt 17 is less scary. Closer to the point the shoulder is better and the Coleman Bridge Iíd call bike friendly. I crossed the old bridge twice riding to work one day.

Use Google maps road view or drive it to see first hand. There are some loops from Kilmarnock I want to ride but want to avoid most of the two lane main roads.
biker128pedal is offline  
Old 01-01-23, 08:04 PM
  #4609  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,358

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Liked 5,307 Times in 2,268 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Iíve done the loop from home in Gloucester years ago. I donít have the time these days. Want to ride to Willyburg Trek and home one day. Some of the local riders did the loop a couple years ago.

These days in Gloucester since the state added the drunk bumps on the right hand white lines I mountain bike more. As for your plan there are ways. Most drivers are courteous. There are a few dummies that pass in the curves.

Coming from West Point Iíd avoid the Rt 14 cut over and keep on Rt 198 to Rt 17. These have shoulders. Rt 14 not so much. The back roads on the eastern side of Rt 17 arenít bad above the court house. But straight down Rt 17 is the shortest.

Below the Court house there are some sections without shoulders. East side side roads take longer but less traveled. If I recall correctly South on Rt 17 is less scary. Closer to the point the shoulder is better and the Coleman Bridge Iíd call bike friendly. I crossed the old bridge twice riding to work one day.

Use Google maps road view or drive it to see first hand. There are some loops from Kilmarnock I want to ride but want to avoid most of the two lane main roads.
Awesome. Thanks! Other than Richmond via Cap trail, Barhamsville is the farthest North West I have ridden.

I ride from Williamsburg to Newport New often, and I have gone all the way to Hampton, Ft Monroe then making my way back to Williamsburg through Phoebus, Yorktown and such.

Drivers in Williamsburg are pretty friendly, however, the two worst experiences happened here.

If you ever make the ride to trek in Williamsburg, my only suggestion. Stay off News road.


Cheers
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 01-02-23, 07:28 AM
  #4610  
Senior Member
 
biker128pedal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern VA
Posts: 1,746

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Liked 472 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Awesome. Thanks! Other than Richmond via Cap trail, Barhamsville is the farthest North West I have ridden.

I ride from Williamsburg to Newport New often, and I have gone all the way to Hampton, Ft Monroe then making my way back to Williamsburg through Phoebus, Yorktown and such.

Drivers in Williamsburg are pretty friendly, however, the two worst experiences happened here.

If you ever make the ride to trek in Williamsburg, my only suggestion. Stay off News road.


Cheers
From your experience you can handle it. You may not mind the Rt 14 cutover. I do have Garmin radar and computer along with a bar end mirror. Provides a warning and I can glance at the mirror.
biker128pedal is offline  
Old 01-02-23, 08:16 AM
  #4611  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,358

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Liked 5,307 Times in 2,268 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
From your experience you can handle it. You may not mind the Rt 14 cutover. I do have Garmin radar and computer along with a bar end mirror. Provides a warning and I can glance at the mirror.
I have the varia with the claims collector. Atleast my wife will get paid when I get hit.
bampilot06 is offline  
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 01-02-23, 08:38 AM
  #4612  
Cheerfully low end
 
ofajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 2,012
Liked 1,080 Times in 689 Posts
I did a hilly 23 mile ride yesterday. 42/16 the whole time, partly for strength training and partly to see where I stand.

Otto
ofajen is offline  
Old 01-02-23, 12:55 PM
  #4613  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: /dev/null
Posts: 677

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
50 miles, Brewster to Van Cortlandt Park, North to South.
It was almost freezing in the beginning, in the very end the temperature rose up to 50 as I approached the city.
csport is offline  
Old 01-02-23, 02:57 PM
  #4614  
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 7,015

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Liked 1,898 Times in 1,081 Posts
got out for 40 today. Started in a fairly thick cool fog, then the fog burned off and it turned into a clear beautiful 72F sunny day. Worked in a 4 laps over the Acosta until the traffic started to pick up from people getting off work downtown.
__________________
Brian | 2023 Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS | 2023 Trek CheckPoint SL 7 AXS | 2016 Trek Emonda ALR | 2022 Trek FX Sport 5
Originally Posted by AEO
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.



jaxgtr is offline  
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 01-08-23, 11:28 PM
  #4615  
Senior Member
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 7,719

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 3,212 Times in 2,041 Posts
rolled 41 miles OD.
__________________
-YMMV
Troul is offline  
Likes For Troul:
Old 01-09-23, 07:23 AM
  #4616  
Mother Nature's Son
 
delbiker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sussex County, Delaware
Posts: 3,162

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Liked 1,495 Times in 843 Posts
Yesterday, the 8th, was 25 miles, now at 225 for '23. Just a beautiful first week of the year for cycling. I have been on all five of my bikes, down from eight, but mostly I have been on my Poprad, my Lemond Tourmalet second. I have just recently come to the conclusion that they are my two favorite bikes to ride.
delbiker1 is offline  
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 01-14-23, 03:49 AM
  #4617  
Senior Member
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 7,719

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 3,212 Times in 2,041 Posts
75 miles ID.
__________________
-YMMV
Troul is offline  
Old 01-14-23, 04:26 AM
  #4618  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: Vagrant. A migratory worker.
Posts: 59

Bikes: PlanetX Gravel, Spa Ti Endurance, Cannondale Optimo Road, Bianchi Infinito CV, Condor 1997 Steel Road. N+1 applies.

Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
115km up the East coast of Qatar. 4 hours of pleasure.
BBB_Adrift is offline  
Likes For BBB_Adrift:
Old 01-15-23, 05:51 AM
  #4619  
Senior Member
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 7,719

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 3,212 Times in 2,041 Posts
53 I.D. miles.
__________________
-YMMV
Troul is offline  
Old 01-16-23, 10:23 PM
  #4620  
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 7,015

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Liked 1,898 Times in 1,081 Posts
Ugggggg.... 20 miles with 5100 ft of climbing on Rouvy. Horrifically painful for someone from Florida
__________________
Brian | 2023 Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS | 2023 Trek CheckPoint SL 7 AXS | 2016 Trek Emonda ALR | 2022 Trek FX Sport 5
Originally Posted by AEO
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.



jaxgtr is offline  
Old 01-16-23, 10:40 PM
  #4621  
Senior Member
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 7,719

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 3,212 Times in 2,041 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Ugggggg.... 20 miles with 5100 ft of climbing on Rouvy. Horrifically painful for someone from Florida
but you still got in some miles!
__________________
-YMMV
Troul is offline  
Likes For Troul:
Old 01-18-23, 07:16 PM
  #4622  
Junior Member
 
A350driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Sebring, Florida
Posts: 154

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts

88 miles at 20 mph average.

It was a Birthday ride for a 79yr old stud who did all his pulls!

In our club you have to “Ride your age” on every birthday, and he did his 79, a couple of us had to do 88 to get home! This was his Birthday Beer about 32 miles from the finish.



Last edited by A350driver; 01-18-23 at 07:50 PM.
A350driver is offline  
Likes For A350driver:
Old 01-18-23, 08:03 PM
  #4623  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Redmond, WA & Bangkok, Thailand
Posts: 583

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Liked 408 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by A350driver

88 miles at 20 mph average.

It was a Birthday ride for a 79yr old stud who did all his pulls!

In our club you have to ďRide your ageĒ on every birthday, and he did his 79, a couple of us had to do 88 to get home! This was his Birthday Beer about 32 miles from the finish.
That guy is truly a stud! First, I hope that I make it to 79. Then I hope I will still be able to ride like that!
SpeedyBlueBiker is offline  
Old 01-18-23, 08:10 PM
  #4624  
Junior Member
 
A350driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Sebring, Florida
Posts: 154

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
That guy is truly a stud! First, I hope that I make it to 79. Then I hope I will still be able to ride like that!
Thatís what we all said!
A350driver is offline  
Likes For A350driver:
Old 01-21-23, 04:36 PM
  #4625  
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 7,015

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Liked 1,898 Times in 1,081 Posts
Well the rain was not supposed to be in until late in the day, they lied. I got caught with 25 miles to go in cold temps and rain. It sucked. But I did 70 today.
__________________
Brian | 2023 Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS | 2023 Trek CheckPoint SL 7 AXS | 2016 Trek Emonda ALR | 2022 Trek FX Sport 5
Originally Posted by AEO
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.



jaxgtr is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.