General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cobb Shorts (women)

Old 02-13-17, 09:36 AM
  #1  
dgreer6887
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cobb Shorts (women)

I've been having a pretty hard time getting comfortable "down there" lately, and last week sprung for a pair of Cobb Shorts:

(can't post a link yet, Google: Cobb Women's Cycling Shorts)

Their article is what got me interested:

(Google: Women's Shorts Why Cobb Shorts)

I wore these on my 40-miler yesterday, and I was surprised to find they seemed to take care of my problem. I won't go into details unless asked, but I think padding of other bottoms was bunching up or just in the right spot to pinch a sensitive area around my lady parts. I have bottoms that have less padding and some with more, but I always had the same problem. It feels pretty strange though to have virtually no padding down there.

Anyone else experience this? Looking more for ladies' experience, but I'm sure it relates to you guys as well.
dgreer6887 is offline  
Old 02-13-17, 10:11 AM
  #2  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 22,712

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2967 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 50 Posts
those appear to be tri-shorts. that's what I prefer. the thin liner is way more comfortable. I use the mens zoot 9" tri shorts & have 3 pair. I even use them for my gym workouts. I always wear something else over them tho. basically using them as underwear. the newer model has a wider softer band at the bottom of the leg

rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 02-15-17, 09:50 AM
  #3  
SimplyAmyLynn
Newbie
 
SimplyAmyLynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had so many comfort issues last season and discovered that triathlon shorts were the way to go! I really like Zoot performance tri shorts with an 8inch inseam-I find the shorter inseam shorts just ride up. I have also heard that Coeur shorts have a very comfortable chamois, but haven't tried them yet because they're too expensive with the Canadian/US exchange rate.
SimplyAmyLynn is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 04:04 PM
  #4  
dgreer6887
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SimplyAmyLynn View Post
I had so many comfort issues last season and discovered that triathlon shorts were the way to go! I really like Zoot performance tri shorts with an 8inch inseam-I find the shorter inseam shorts just ride up. I have also heard that Coeur shorts have a very comfortable chamois, but haven't tried them yet because they're too expensive with the Canadian/US exchange rate.
Yes! I just bought Zoot Sports Women's Active Tri 8"inch Shorts. They are arriving next week. I'm super excited to see how they feel. I've worn my Cobb shorts a few times now and it's soooo much better not having the pad. And I figure, if there ends up being any discomfort to address, I can try different saddles. At least saddles can be returned, while shorts cannot!
dgreer6887 is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 04:06 PM
  #5  
dgreer6887
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
those appear to be tri-shorts. that's what I prefer. the thin liner is way more comfortable. I use the mens zoot 9" tri shorts & have 3 pair. I even use them for my gym workouts. I always wear something else over them tho. basically using them as underwear. the newer model has a wider softer band at the bottom of the leg
Zoot seems to be the way to go! Got a pair arriving next week. Thanks
dgreer6887 is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 06:00 PM
  #6  
SimplyAmyLynn
Newbie
 
SimplyAmyLynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dgreer6887 View Post
Yes! I just bought Zoot Sports Women's Active Tri 8"inch Shorts. They are arriving next week. I'm super excited to see how they feel. I've worn my Cobb shorts a few times now and it's soooo much better not having the pad. And I figure, if there ends up being any discomfort to address, I can try different saddles. At least saddles can be returned, while shorts cannot!
Good Luck! Let me know how you make out. I have a road bike and found that raising my handlebars a bit also relieved some of the pressure and chafing that was going on. I finally found my "happy place" on the bike over the last couple of months and can't wait for spring/summer to get here so I can bike outside.
SimplyAmyLynn is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 07:33 PM
  #7  
wipekitty
on the road again
 
wipekitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: organic valley
Posts: 2,007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 32 Posts
Chamois is obviously a very personal preference...

I experienced similar issues with things bunching up, especially with various gel shorts, and my solution was in the opposite direction. I picked up a pair of shorts on sale at the LBS with thick fluffy padding, and they did the trick. What's funny is that these particular shorts (Bontrager Solstice) are marketed at low-mileage riders, but I found them just great for rides in the 70-100 mile range.
wipekitty is offline  
Old 02-17-17, 08:42 AM
  #8  
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,875

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty View Post
Chamois is obviously a very personal preference...

I experienced similar issues with things bunching up, especially with various gel shorts, and my solution was in the opposite direction. I picked up a pair of shorts on sale at the LBS with thick fluffy padding, and they did the trick. What's funny is that these particular shorts (Bontrager Solstice) are marketed at low-mileage riders, but I found them just great for rides in the 70-100 mile range.
I took a chance on some heavily discounted Solstice shorts last year for my wife, and she really likes them, maybe even her go to shorts now.

I agree with others that shorts are personal, for both women and men. The other thing is, because the apparel companies keep changing the shape and design of the chamois, you can't even just plan on replacing a worn pair of shorts with an identical replacement.

Right now, my go to shorts
are Gore and Soecialized, both several years old. I just bought a pair of Bellweather shorts I hope works out.
MRT2 is offline  
Old 02-17-17, 09:10 AM
  #9  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 22,712

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2967 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by dgreer6887 View Post
Zoot seems to be the way to go! Got a pair arriving next week. Thanks
let me know how you like them. I'm trying to get my Wife to use them too but she doesn't want to spent the money. but last year I was able to convince her to get a padded cycling skort w (thick) removable liner & hi viz top. the trishort underneath would be a good replacement for that removable liner
rumrunn6 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Anthonykeehn
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
1
12-25-17 07:44 AM
tara1234
Classic & Vintage
16
03-19-17 12:04 PM
PapaGanoosh
Classic & Vintage
2
10-25-13 10:22 PM
bikes not bombs
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
21
09-30-07 09:40 AM
whitehare
General Cycling Discussion
3
05-28-07 02:37 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.