General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

My typical road conditions. ..

Old 02-15-17, 07:42 PM
  #1  
netman9718
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Indiana
Posts: 151

Bikes: Trek 4.0 Domane

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My typical road conditions. ..



I work motor patrol for the Sheriff's Office. To day while finishing up a crash report I noticed all of the coal on the road and shoulders. Typically when approaching any type of bridge while cycling one needs to be on the lookout for debris that comes off trucks when they go over the bumps. What a mess.
netman9718 is offline  
Old 02-15-17, 07:47 PM
  #2  
netman9718
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Indiana
Posts: 151

Bikes: Trek 4.0 Domane

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry my pictures did not load

Last edited by netman9718; 02-15-17 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Spelling
netman9718 is offline  
Old 02-15-17, 08:20 PM
  #3  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,239
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8347 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by netman9718 View Post
Sorry my pictures did not load
Set your photos to JPG, 1000x1000 or so using your favorite photo editor. I usually like about 70% for JPG image quality.

On this site, go into the advanced editor. Click on the paper clip , or "Manage Attachments" and select the files and upload.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 02-15-17, 09:53 PM
  #4  
AdvXtrm
Senior Member
 
AdvXtrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: S/W U.S.
Posts: 806

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by netman9718 View Post


I work motor patrol for the Sheriff's Office. To day while finishing up a crash report I noticed all of the coal on the road and shoulders. Typically when approaching any type of bridge while cycling one needs to be on the lookout for debris that comes off trucks when they go over the bumps. What a mess.


Wow! Just imagine coming along there in the dark of night; you'd be lucky to see it before it was too late, and also imagine if it was raining a bit!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tar_on_road_1.jpg (98.3 KB, 214 views)
AdvXtrm is offline  
Old 02-15-17, 10:49 PM
  #5  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,804

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 55 Posts
Here's one I encountered a few months ago on a familiar route. The city or county resurfaced the road since my previous ride a couple of days earlier. They patched some potholes properly but left a bunch of loose gravel in the intersection and just blacktopped over it. The loose gravel was almost impossible to see. I skidded sideways but didn't fall. The sideways skid and sudden stop warped the rim but my LBS whanged it back into shape later that same day.

I reported the road hazard but nothing was ever done, other than to put up a temporary sign warning about loose gravel -- past the hazard point, so it would be too late before a bicycle or motorcycle would see it. Eventually vehicle traffic just redistributed most of the loose gravel along the roadside.

canklecat is online now  
Old 02-15-17, 11:33 PM
  #6  
AdvXtrm
Senior Member
 
AdvXtrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: S/W U.S.
Posts: 806

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Here's one I encountered a few months ago on a familiar route. The city or county resurfaced the road since my previous ride a couple of days earlier. They patched some potholes properly but left a bunch of loose gravel in the intersection and just blacktopped over it. The loose gravel was almost impossible to see. I skidded sideways but didn't fall. The sideways skid and sudden stop warped the rim but my LBS whanged it back into shape later that same day.

I reported the road hazard but nothing was ever done, other than to put up a temporary sign warning about loose gravel -- past the hazard point, so it would be too late before a bicycle or motorcycle would see it. Eventually vehicle traffic just redistributed most of the loose gravel along the roadside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7go12fCI1is
Wow! Glad you were able to stay upright!

YTDAW (Your Tax Dollars At Work) Muh roads!
AdvXtrm is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 09:28 AM
  #7  
netman9718
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Indiana
Posts: 151

Bikes: Trek 4.0 Domane

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took a second pic of the eastbound lane path of coal to show the depth(will try to post it later). This coal debris is everywhere once I got to looking for it. This highway is the north route of our Evansville Bike Club Century route. Looks like there might be a need for the State Highway clean up and some enforcement.
netman9718 is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 09:47 AM
  #8  
pdlamb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: northern Deep South
Posts: 5,141

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 934 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Aaack! That's not law enforcement, that's government regulation! It's hurting Business! It's hurting Coal! Run away!


OK, with that out of the way, that looks a lot worse than conditions I can remember growing up in coal country. Is this right next to a mine, or a loading facility? Just along the road looks almost like one truck driver forgot to secure his gate, and strewed coal all the way down the road.
pdlamb is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 10:05 AM
  #9  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 22,660

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2956 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by netman9718 View Post
I took a second pic of the eastbound lane path of coal to show the depth(will try to post it later). This coal debris is everywhere once I got to looking for it. This highway is the north route of our Evansville Bike Club Century route. Looks like there might be a need for the State Highway clean up and some enforcement.
are they overloading the coal trucks? (assuming that's how the coal got there)
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 12:40 PM
  #10  
netman9718
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Indiana
Posts: 151

Bikes: Trek 4.0 Domane

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every bridge, RR crossing and bump in the road has coal all over the road/shoulder. I believe its from the loading process of putting the coal in the coal truck. The excess is rolling over the bed and stacking up on the flat areas of the truck and bed. Then when they hit a bump it flys off. This spot in the picture is between the coal mine and the power plant.
I do some blacksmithing and now have a couple places to scoop up some free coal. However coal is everywhere here.
netman9718 is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 12:50 PM
  #11  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,239
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8347 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
I've been meaning to get my home forge up and running. So a little free coal might be nice.

As far as riding... choose a track on the road that is safe. So... perhaps within 6" of the white line.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 02:52 PM
  #12  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 22,660

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2956 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by netman9718 View Post
I do some blacksmithing and now have a couple places to scoop up some free coal. However coal is everywhere here.
found this on an old abandoned railroad. they pulled up the tracks & ties so now ppl can hike it or bike it but it's rough. I figure it fell off a coal car, or maybe the locomotive's coal tender. it operated mid - late 1800s

rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 02-17-17, 10:41 AM
  #13  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 22,660

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2956 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 42 Posts
recently found this old clip of a section of my old commute. this was one of several what I called "kill zones"



this clip is part of a regular summer loop I like. most of the ride has a bit more shoulder. these clowns w water pistols @ :48 were out to harass cyclists

rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 02-17-17, 01:04 PM
  #14  
AdvXtrm
Senior Member
 
AdvXtrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: S/W U.S.
Posts: 806

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks pretty treacherous there @rumrunn6. Those little punks with the squirt guns need some "justice".
AdvXtrm is offline  
Old 02-17-17, 03:51 PM
  #15  
coominya
Senior Member
 
coominya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Brisbane Aust
Posts: 1,644

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Here's one I encountered a few months ago on a familiar route. The city or county resurfaced the road since my previous ride a couple of days earlier.
That patch looked pretty obvious to me but I guess you had to be there hey. Bad luck on the wheel but nice recovery. Were you clipped in?

Last edited by coominya; 02-17-17 at 03:55 PM.
coominya is offline  
Old 02-17-17, 04:40 PM
  #16  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 22,660

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2956 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by AdvXtrm View Post
Those little punks with the squirt guns need some "justice".
yeah if I cud make out the plate I'd have called it in. glad it was just water! I was a dumb kid once too, so ... not as bad as a deliberate close pass
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 02-17-17, 05:58 PM
  #17  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,804

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by coominya View Post
That patch looked pretty obvious to me but I guess you had to be there hey. Bad luck on the wheel but nice recovery. Were you clipped in?
Nah, haven't used toe clips in years, and never tried clipless. Just walking shoes and platform pedals.

The lighter patch that seemed more visible wasn't the sketchy part. It was the freshly blacktopped area with blacktopped-over loose chunks of gravel that caught me off guard. In that light it was hard to see the difference between the texture of the normally rough chip seal and loose gravel. It all blended in under the fresh blacktopping.
canklecat is online now  
Old 02-18-17, 02:36 AM
  #18  
coominya
Senior Member
 
coominya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Brisbane Aust
Posts: 1,644

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Nah, haven't used toe clips in years, and never tried clipless. Just walking shoes and platform pedals.

The lighter patch that seemed more visible wasn't the sketchy part. It was the freshly blacktopped area with blacktopped-over loose chunks of gravel that caught me off guard. In that light it was hard to see the difference between the texture of the normally rough chip seal and loose gravel. It all blended in under the fresh blacktopping.
I see it now. I wonder if you would have dropped it if you were wearing clipped shoes? I have a mate who rides trails and he always goes platforms so he can whip a foot out in the nasty corners if need be.
coominya is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.