Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

what does the symbols on a tire mean?

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

what does the symbols on a tire mean?

Old 02-22-17, 11:18 AM
  #1  
Adam77
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what does the symbols on a tire mean?

what does the symbols on tires mean for example
kenda nevegal
(54-559)
k1010-009
1113513C
\//\ 167 (\//\ symbol of two triangles)
NYLON
i want to find at what time my tires should be replaced?
thank u
Adam77 is offline  
Old 02-22-17, 11:47 AM
  #2  
SkyDog75
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 3,818

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"Kenda Nevegal" are the brand and model.

"54-559" is the tire size in ISO/ETRTO format. The tire's nominal width is 54 mm. Its bead seat diameter is 559 mm. (This size can also be expressed as 26" x 2.1".)

"K1010" seems to be the Kenda model number.

"NYLON" indicates the tire has nylon cords in its casing construction.


...but getting to your question as to when the tire should be replaced: Do you see any cracks in the rubber? Has the rubber worn down to the point where you can see the cords of the tire casing? If no, the tire's probably OK. Another consideration, if you ride off-pavement, might be whether the tire still has enough tread to grip the trail surface.
SkyDog75 is offline  
Old 02-22-17, 12:38 PM
  #3  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,239
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8348 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
As far as replacing... also, have flats gotten out of control. That may indicate you need to pick glass and wire out of the tires, or they are worn (and aged) to need replaced.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 02-22-17, 01:23 PM
  #4  
Adam77
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyDog75 View Post
"Kenda Nevegal" are the brand and model.

"54-559" is the tire size in ISO/ETRTO format. The tire's nominal width is 54 mm. Its bead seat diameter is 559 mm. (This size can also be expressed as 26" x 2.1".)

"K1010" seems to be the Kenda model number.

"NYLON" indicates the tire has nylon cords in its casing construction.


...but getting to your question as to when the tire should be replaced: Do you see any cracks in the rubber? Has the rubber worn down to the point where you can see the cords of the tire casing? If no, the tire's probably OK. Another consideration, if you ride off-pavement, might be whether the tire still has enough tread to grip the trail surface.
thank u for ur clarification , i cheked now the rubber it still good. thank u so much.
Adam77 is offline  
Old 02-22-17, 01:26 PM
  #5  
Adam77
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
As far as replacing... also, have flats gotten out of control. That may indicate you need to pick glass and wire out of the tires, or they are worn (and aged) to need replaced.
ok thank u
Adam77 is offline  
Old 02-25-17, 03:44 PM
  #6  
ramzilla
Senior Member
 
ramzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: 10% Atlanta GA 90% Fernandina FL
Posts: 2,438

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Tire tread changes over time. It can dry out, harden and, crack. Some tread compounds last longer than others. My rule of thumb is 5, 15, and 20 years. Cheap tires usually last about 5 years. Better ones last 15 years. All tires need to be replaced when they hit 20. Sudden tire failure is an unpleasant experience that is easy to prevent.
ramzilla is offline  
Old 02-25-17, 06:03 PM
  #7  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 11,468

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5405 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam77 View Post
1113513C
i want to find at what time my tires should be replaced?
Yeah, this is a time code, specific to Kenda. You should replace your tires at 7:03 a.m. Eastern time on a Sunday or Wednesday.
Maelochs is offline  
Old 02-27-17, 06:22 AM
  #8  
highrpm
Senior Member
 
highrpm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bruce Twp, MI
Posts: 302

Bikes: Trek FX 7.4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Maelochs, the OP is probably referring to the fact that car tires do have a date stamp on them. It's the law for passenger car tire manufacturers. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to apply to bicycle tires.
highrpm is offline  
Old 03-06-17, 12:30 PM
  #9  
Adam77
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla View Post
Tire tread changes over time. It can dry out, harden and, crack. Some tread compounds last longer than others. My rule of thumb is 5, 15, and 20 years. Cheap tires usually last about 5 years. Better ones last 15 years. All tires need to be replaced when they hit 20. Sudden tire failure is an unpleasant experience that is easy to prevent.
thank u so much
Adam77 is offline  
Old 03-06-17, 12:33 PM
  #10  
Adam77
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Yeah, this is a time code, specific to Kenda. You should replace your tires at 7:03 a.m. Eastern time on a Sunday or Wednesday.
i think that ur not ok ! u have lot of imagination my friend, u must see doctor as soon as possible

Last edited by Adam77; 03-06-17 at 12:40 PM.
Adam77 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.