Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   Lets compare roads (https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/1109250-lets-compare-roads.html)

SylvainG 05-26-17 07:21 PM

Lets compare roads
 
These are the baddest roads I take during my commute. How do they compare to yours?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.50335...2!8i6656?hl=fr

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.50163...2!8i6656?hl=fr

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.44045...2!8i6656?hl=fr

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.43960...2!8i6656?hl=fr

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.43917...2!8i6656?hl=fr

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.43684...2!8i6656?hl=fr

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.43394...2!8i6656?hl=fr

Flip Flop Rider 05-26-17 07:25 PM

pretty rough, but at least it's not very crowded

SylvainG 05-26-17 07:29 PM

Nope not crowed, when I'm sharing the road with cars and and not on bike paths, I get passed by 2 to 10 cars my hole 45 minutes commute, hence why I chose that route (plus it's the shortest).

mcours2006 05-26-17 07:36 PM

I'd take those empty, crack-filled road over a busy, smoothly paved one any day. They don't look too bad.

JanMM 05-26-17 07:58 PM

You're certainly not out on country roads; looks pretty pleasant to me.

Machka 05-26-17 08:04 PM

If I commuted, this would be my route ...

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1486/2...3095f7b2_c.jpg

TimothyH 05-26-17 08:45 PM

Machka, where is that?

I commute up my stairs to a spare bedroom/office.

Machka 05-26-17 09:07 PM


Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 19613336)
Machka, where is that?

I commute up my stairs to a spare bedroom/office.

Hobart.

We live south of the city, close to the water, so I'd have to climb up and over that in heavy morning traffic to get into Hobart.

The bus does the job much more efficiently. :)

wipekitty 05-26-17 10:33 PM

This fine quality Wisconsin road is part of my commute: Main Street La Crosse
It's not bad and low traffic, but has typical potholes and cracks. Since my commute is rather short and involves streets on a grid system, I can avoid most of the worst roads.

OTOH, Highway 162 is convenient for a lot of road cycling routes, but the descent makes me very nervous every time...

jamesdak 05-27-17 07:05 AM

Well, if I commuted I'd have to ride down and then back up this canyon each day. It's a narrow road with no shoulders in most places. On one side you have barriers and the river and on the other you have the mountain side and rock walls.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2535...2!8i6656?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2379...2!8i6656?hl=en

Even once I reach my valley it's a wonderful view with low traffic volume but no shoulders at all most of the way and rough chipseal. I ride these roads everyday.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2807...2!8i6656?hl=en

The "major intersection" near the house...

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3048...2!8i6656?hl=en

drlogik 05-27-17 07:16 AM

SylvainG,

Which one is the bad one I'm supposed to look at?

Cougrrcj 05-27-17 07:42 AM

I have three miles of this bad road on my commute - and it is worse than it looks in pictures. There are some missing chunks, so the holes are 3-4" deep, the cracks are about an inch across. The pictures also don't show the 1" deep herringbone pattern in the surface from when a farm tractor went down that road when it was soft and left permanent tire impressions. I ride on 27x1-1/8 tires (that's 28mm for you 700c guys) and the rough road has literally rattled my rear blinkie light to death!

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3537...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3619...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3650...7i13312!8i6656

This is through an industrial park:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3716...7i13312!8i6656

then there's the 'No pedestrians or bicycles' section that I have to ride for only a mile

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3799...7i13312!8i6656

Four miles of this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3963...7i13312!8i6656

and then the last two miles of my commute are:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4338...7i13312!8i6656

SylvainG 05-27-17 03:20 PM


Originally Posted by wipekitty (Post 19613496)
This fine quality Wisconsin road is part of my commute: Main Street La Crosse
It's not bad and low traffic, but has typical potholes and cracks. Since my commute is rather short and involves streets on a grid system, I can avoid most of the worst roads.

OTOH, Highway 162 is convenient for a lot of road cycling routes, but the descent makes me very nervous every time...

First one looks like it's rough like mine but the second one would make me nervous too. Highway, no shoulder and curving


Originally Posted by jamesdak (Post 19613803)
Well, if I commuted I'd have to ride down and then back up this canyon each day. It's a narrow road with no shoulders in most places. On one side you have barriers and the river and on the other you have the mountain side and rock walls.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2535...2!8i6656?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2379...2!8i6656?hl=en

Even once I reach my valley it's a wonderful view with low traffic volume but no shoulders at all most of the way and rough chipseal. I ride these roads everyday.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2807...2!8i6656?hl=en

The "major intersection" near the house...

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3048...2!8i6656?hl=en

Signs on the first says it's not recommended for pedestrian and cyclist. Shoulder doesn't look that narrow to me, but the second, wow. Nice road but not only no shoulder, I would be afraid of falling rocks! Third one looks peaceful but not when buzzed by cars and trucks.


Originally Posted by drlogik (Post 19613816)
SylvainG,

Which one is the bad one I'm supposed to look at?

I wouldn't want to ride on your roads if you don't find those I posted bad


Originally Posted by Cougrrcj (Post 19613845)
I have three miles of this bad road on my commute - and it is worse than it looks in pictures. There are some missing chunks, so the holes are 3-4" deep, the cracks are about an inch across. The pictures also don't show the 1" deep herringbone pattern in the surface from when a farm tractor went down that road when it was soft and left permanent tire impressions. I ride on 27x1-1/8 tires (that's 28mm for you 700c guys) and the rough road has literally rattled my rear blinkie light to death!

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3537...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3619...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3650...7i13312!8i6656

This is through an industrial park:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3716...7i13312!8i6656

then there's the 'No pedestrians or bicycles' section that I have to ride for only a mile

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3799...7i13312!8i6656

Four miles of this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3963...7i13312!8i6656

and then the last two miles of my commute are:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4338...7i13312!8i6656

Yep, first part is worst than mine but then, wow, smooth ride from there...

When I'm not on the road, these are some of the bike paths that I take.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4414...8!9m2!1b1!2i38

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4554...8!9m2!1b1!2i38

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4406...8!9m2!1b1!2i38

BlazingPedals 05-27-17 03:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You need to ride a nice northern Michigan road. None of the patches shown are level, and they're enough to bounce a car off the road.

AlexCyclistRoch 05-27-17 05:29 PM

Well, I see the roads around Gatineau haven't improved in the last 20 years.

SylvainG 05-27-17 05:57 PM


Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch (Post 19614811)
Well, I see the roads around Gatineau haven't improved in the last 20 years.

Nope, but they did fixed many bike path :)

supton 05-28-17 06:02 AM

Last weekend I did this stretch:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4821...7i13312!8i6656
Doesn't look bad here, 'cuz the map is old. It's way more cracked now. 55mph road, but with little traffic. This section is a 13mph grind going up and 20+ coming down. I spent more time dodging road cracks than pedaling...
Better shot: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4723...7i13312!8i6656

Machka 05-28-17 06:40 AM


Originally Posted by drlogik (Post 19613816)
SylvainG,

Which one is the bad one I'm supposed to look at?

I looked at three of them and wondered the same thing ... they look like normal roads to me.

This one here, for example, look really quite good ... complete with little shoulder. @SylvainG ... you're lucky!

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.43960...2!8i6656?hl=fr

SylvainG 05-28-17 06:57 AM


Originally Posted by supton (Post 19615433)
Last weekend I did this stretch:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4821...7i13312!8i6656
Doesn't look bad here, 'cuz the map is old. It's way more cracked now. 55mph road, but with little traffic. This section is a 13mph grind going up and 20+ coming down. I spent more time dodging road cracks than pedaling...
Better shot: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4723...7i13312!8i6656

And you're supposed to ride on that shoulder (I know I wouldn't ride on a 55mph road if it doesn't have a large enough shoulder)? That road is not cycling friendly that's for sure...


Originally Posted by Machka (Post 19615489)
I looked at three of them and wondered the same thing ... they look like normal roads to me.

This one here, for example, look really quite good ... complete with little shoulder. @SylvainG ... you're lucky!

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.43960...2!8i6656?hl=fr

Didn't show the bad stretch. Here's a better view of it.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.44032...2!8i6656?hl=fr

But yeah, compared to others, I don't have it "that bad". I had no point of reference hence why I started the thread :)

supton 05-28-17 07:03 AM


Originally Posted by SylvainG (Post 19615517)
And you're supposed to ride on that shoulder (I know I wouldn't ride on a 55mph road if it doesn't have a large enough shoulder)? That road is not cycling friendly that's for sure...

I ride as far right as possible, IIRC that's all the law says. Often that means I'm about a foot to the left of the white line, as the white line sometimes disappears... Traffic around here is usually pretty good about giving wide berth. Although one time I felt like I was run off the road: school bus came up behind me, I could hear it--and I could see an even larger truck coming towards us. Me being the most little fish in the pond, something told me I should steer into the dirt and just wait for 'em to pass.

There's another road with real 60mph traffic, and lots of it, and a nice 3' wide paved shoulder. That is a nicer road to ride on, of course, but with all the traffic... I tend to avoid. I'd rather have to deal with the occasional car and better scenery.

Machka 05-28-17 07:11 AM

This is quite a nice route, one we've done several times. But you've got to pick your times. It's not good to ride it during tourist season. I'm pretty sure the speed limit is 100 km/h.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-43....2!8i6656?hl=en


This is another route we enjoy riding, and it has the benefit of being remote enough to be reasonably quiet most of the year. Again, I'm pretty sure the speed limit is 100 km/h. It usually is when the road is paved.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-42....2!8i6656?hl=en


Many of our roads are paved for a while, then have a section of, perhaps, 2-7 km of gravel, then return to paved again.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-43....2!8i6656?hl=en


Or they start paved and then simply turn to gravel.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-42....2!8i6656?hl=en

supton 05-28-17 07:25 AM

That's a crazy smooth looking dirt road. Very nice.

Machka 05-28-17 07:36 AM


Originally Posted by supton (Post 19615556)
That's a crazy smooth looking dirt road. Very nice.

They can be ... depends what the weather has been like. If it has been raining quite a bit (i.e. winter) they can get pretty rutty. If it has been really dry for a while, the gravel can become rather like cycling in sand.

SylvainG 08-07-17 02:55 PM


Originally Posted by SylvainG (Post 19615517)
And you're supposed to ride on that shoulder (I know I wouldn't ride on a 55mph road if it doesn't have a large enough shoulder)? That road is not cycling friendly that's for sure...



Didn't show the bad stretch. Here's a better view of it.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.44032...2!8i6656?hl=fr

But yeah, compared to others, I don't have it "that bad". I had no point of reference hence why I started the thread :)

They repaved that road earlier this Summer and it's now very smooth pavement with a nice bike lane on each side :)

They're also redoing a boulevard by my place that I refused to take because it has no ridable shoulder and was in bad shape. They're adding a bike path so that first one I posted (the road that has the worst condition), I won't need to use anymore come September :D

alcjphil 08-08-17 06:22 AM

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.45912...2!8i6656?hl=fr
Typical of the streets in my area


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:53 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.