Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trek FX3 vs BMC Alpenchallenge AC02 Deore

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Trek FX3 vs BMC Alpenchallenge AC02 Deore

Old 06-20-17, 08:32 PM
  #1  
WillKoz
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek FX3 vs BMC Alpenchallenge AC02 Deore

So basically I have it narrowed down to these two bikes. I am looking for any info or experience anyone can give me on these two bikes. I have tested them both and cannot decide which one is right for me. I am leaving toward the Trek basically because of the Trek name and the thousands upon thousands of reviews out there. The BMC has way less reviews (under 10) but are all 5 star. As far as price they are almost dead even. Thanks in advance!

P.S. is the almost $300 price difference worth it to upgrade from FX2 to FX3? I am so torn right now!
WillKoz is offline  
Old 06-21-17, 05:19 AM
  #2  
ad18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 95

Bikes: TREK FX3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had a FX3 for a short period of time and really like mine. As for your decision, one factor I would bring into consideration is dealer network around or where you plan to ride. If there are multiple dealers of one brand and only one of the other I'd go with the one with more in case you run into snags with your local one. Then I'd make by mind up by which one I liked the looks/color of best
ad18 is offline  
Old 06-21-17, 05:52 AM
  #3  
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 3,868

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 62 Posts
Let me ask you this. Why do you want a flat bar bike and have you ridden each one?
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 06-21-17, 06:39 AM
  #4  
WillKoz
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
Let me ask you this. Why do you want a flat bar bike and have you ridden each one?
I like more of an upright ride. I have ridden them both as well as others and I just can't get comfortable being hunched over especially for long periods of time.
WillKoz is offline  
Old 06-21-17, 06:40 AM
  #5  
WillKoz
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ad18 View Post
I have had a FX3 for a short period of time and really like mine. As for your decision, one factor I would bring into consideration is dealer network around or where you plan to ride. If there are multiple dealers of one brand and only one of the other I'd go with the one with more in case you run into snags with your local one. Then I'd make by mind up by which one I liked the looks/color of best
Thanks. Yea the BMC is a hell of a deal right now and looks way cooler but I just can't look past the thousands and thousands of positive trek reviews.
WillKoz is offline  
Old 06-21-17, 06:54 AM
  #6  
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,866

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WillKoz View Post
I like more of an upright ride. I have ridden them both as well as others and I just can't get comfortable being hunched over especially for long periods of time.
You sure about that, particularly with the BMC? Looking at the website, the geometry of the BMC looks more aggressive than a lot of road bikes.

That said, if I had a choice between equivalent bikes, one of which everybody has and one that is kind of different, I would go with the one that is different.

Last edited by MRT2; 06-21-17 at 06:59 AM.
MRT2 is offline  
Old 06-21-17, 07:11 AM
  #7  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,396

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6879 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 187 Posts
You rode both, here only Trek is sold, so you should be able to choose better than anyone here.


Which bike shop do you like best?





fietsbob is offline  
Old 06-21-17, 07:15 AM
  #8  
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 3,868

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by WillKoz View Post
I like more of an upright ride. I have ridden them both as well as others and I just can't get comfortable being hunched over especially for long periods of time.
The Trek FX series bikes have a more relaxed geometry, but you will still end up with quite a bit of pressure on your wrists and no alternate hand positions for relief. Looking at the BMC, it looks to have a fairly aggressive geometry. More so than several of my drop bar bikes.

When I got back into road riding some 8 years or so ago, I came from mountain biking and opted for a flat bar bike. Within 6 months (as my mileage increased) riding on the flat bars became fatiguing. I switched to a drop bar bike and it was MUCH more comfortable. When my brother decided to get into bicycling, I tried to steer him away from a flat bar bike. He didn't listen. A year after buying his flat bar bike he went with a drop bar bike.

With the bike set up for you, draw a line from the saddle to the stem. Is there a rise, is it level or is there a drop. Then measure the distance from the part of the saddle where your sit bones make contact to where your hands rest on the bars. Now take the same measurements on a drop bar bike bars along the top of the bars and the brake hoods (that's where your hands will be most of the time.) The point is, sometimes you are more upright on a drop bar bike than you are on a flat bar bike.

If you go with a flat bar bike and find that the pressure on your wrists becomes unbearable, shoot me a PM and I'll give you an idea on how you can remedy it.

Oh, and where are my manners? Welcome to the forum! It is a very good one.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 06-21-17, 10:51 AM
  #9  
WillKoz
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2 View Post
You sure about that, particularly with the BMC? Looking at the website, the geometry of the BMC looks more aggressive than a lot of road bikes.

That said, if I had a choice between equivalent bikes, one of which everybody has and one that is kind of different, I would go with the one that is different.
I appreciate the input! Thanks
WillKoz is offline  
Old 06-21-17, 10:53 AM
  #10  
WillKoz
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
The Trek FX series bikes have a more relaxed geometry, but you will still end up with quite a bit of pressure on your wrists and no alternate hand positions for relief. Looking at the BMC, it looks to have a fairly aggressive geometry. More so than several of my drop bar bikes.

When I got back into road riding some 8 years or so ago, I came from mountain biking and opted for a flat bar bike. Within 6 months (as my mileage increased) riding on the flat bars became fatiguing. I switched to a drop bar bike and it was MUCH more comfortable. When my brother decided to get into bicycling, I tried to steer him away from a flat bar bike. He didn't listen. A year after buying his flat bar bike he went with a drop bar bike.

With the bike set up for you, draw a line from the saddle to the stem. Is there a rise, is it level or is there a drop. Then measure the distance from the part of the saddle where your sit bones make contact to where your hands rest on the bars. Now take the same measurements on a drop bar bike bars along the top of the bars and the brake hoods (that's where your hands will be most of the time.) The point is, sometimes you are more upright on a drop bar bike than you are on a flat bar bike.

If you go with a flat bar bike and find that the pressure on your wrists becomes unbearable, shoot me a PM and I'll give you an idea on how you can remedy it.

Oh, and where are my manners? Welcome to the forum! It is a very good one.
Thanks so much for the info! I am blown away at how helpful this community has been already! I am headed to the bike shop now to test test test! I will hopefully make the right decision today and be riding happily this evening!
WillKoz is offline  
Old 06-21-17, 06:31 PM
  #11  
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 3,868

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by WillKoz View Post
Thanks so much for the info! I am blown away at how helpful this community has been already! I am headed to the bike shop now to test test test! I will hopefully make the right decision today and be riding happily this evening!
Keep us posted and the rules require pics!
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 06-21-17, 07:56 PM
  #12  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,936

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by WillKoz View Post
So basically I have it narrowed down to these two bikes. I am looking for any info or experience anyone can give me on these two bikes. I have tested them both and cannot decide which one is right for me. I am leaving toward the Trek basically because of the Trek name and the thousands upon thousands of reviews out there. The BMC has way less reviews (under 10) but are all 5 star. As far as price they are almost dead even. Thanks in advance!

P.S. is the almost $300 price difference worth it to upgrade from FX2 to FX3? I am so torn right now!
The aluminium fork of the BMC concerns me, and I wonder if on a short test ride its possible short comings in damping vibrations, may not be so apparent.


But I would consider that BMC to have more cachet than the Trek FX3.
ColonelSanders is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
bradcycles
Tandem Cycling
28
05-06-15 09:35 AM
robtown
Fifty Plus (50+)
1
04-03-10 02:12 PM
Dazza
Mountain Biking
23
09-26-03 07:11 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.