Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   Broken Scaphoid Recovery? (https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/1121785-broken-scaphoid-recovery.html)

Ty0604 09-12-17 09:09 PM

Broken Scaphoid Recovery?
 
Has anyone on here ever dealt with a broken scaphoid? I broke mine on August 10th and was wondering how it affected your bike riding if it did? Mine broke in a really strange place. The orthopedic surgeon I'm working with hadn't ever seen a scaphoid broken like mine and he's been an orthopedic surgeon for 35 years. The good news is that the higher up the bone you go the better blood supply you have. The bad news is that the broken piece of bone moved 1 mm between my first and second visits. I find out if I need surgery on the 20th.

FYI: The break is in the middle of the photo on the right side.
https://s26.postimg.org/ea2fnt2mx/IMG_2422.jpg
Sent from iPhone

cyclozone 09-13-17 04:49 AM

It's true that your scaphoid fracture is unusual in its orientation. However, as the main long term complication of a scaphoid fracture is AVN of the proximal pole, it seems you are at lower risk for that happening as the fracture has not gone across the entire transverse length of the scaphoid.

Your orthopaedic surgeon may fix the fracture to prevent malunion/non-union. In any case, with proper treatment, you probably stand a good chance of not having any significant long-term complications and hopefully you'll be back on your bike soon.

shelbyfv 09-13-17 06:04 AM

Ouch! That's got to be an impediment to daily activities, picking up a wallet or sunglasses, whatever. Best wishes!

jefnvk 09-13-17 07:41 AM

I fractured mine in a motorcycle wreck about a decade back. Luckily, it was minor enough that I was able to deal with just a splint, not a full cast, and it more or less fully healed on its own. Doesn't really affect my riding, or anything else for that matter.

Get ready for a lifetime of dull aches and pains, though :(

wgscott 09-13-17 07:53 AM

This has been going on for awhile. Two questions I would ask if it were me: (1) How long would it take to recover from the (presumably minor, compared to what you have already been through) surgery to implant a pin to hold it together?, and (2) What is the risk of arthritis in the future if you don't get it pinned?

Ty0604 09-13-17 01:38 PM


Originally Posted by cyclozone (Post 19858354)
It's true that your scaphoid fracture is unusual in its orientation. However, as the main long term complication of a scaphoid fracture is AVN of the proximal pole, it seems you are at lower risk for that happening as the fracture has not gone across the entire transverse length of the scaphoid.

Your orthopaedic surgeon may fix the fracture to prevent malunion/non-union. In any case, with proper treatment, you probably stand a good chance of not having any significant long-term complications and hopefully you'll be back on your bike soon.

Good to hear! I feel like it's broken right where my hand rest on the handlebars and that's my concern. The pressure of me pushing on the bars after recovery.


Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 19858425)
Ouch! That's got to be an impediment to daily activities, picking up a wallet or sunglasses, whatever. Best wishes!

Huh? I broke my scaphoid, not my hand. I can still pick up light stuff. It's a slight impediment but I've gotten use to it. Luckily I'm right-handed and it's broken in my left hand. Thanks!


Originally Posted by jefnvk (Post 19858591)
I fractured mine in a motorcycle wreck about a decade back. Luckily, it was minor enough that I was able to deal with just a splint, not a full cast, and it more or less fully healed on its own. Doesn't really affect my riding, or anything else for that matter.

Get ready for a lifetime of dull aches and pains, though :(

I had a splint on for a week until I saw the orthopedic surgeon. I've been in a cast for 3 weeks now. I never knew I was claustrophobic until I had a cast on. So much so I had to start taking anxiety medications. The doctor said it's normal.

I'm glad yours healed on its own! I heard there was a possibility of lifetime aches. Doctor suggested I carry a Acetaminophen with me.


Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 19858615)
This has been going on for awhile. Two questions I would ask if it were me: (1) How long would it take to recover from the (presumably minor, compared to what you have already been through) surgery to implant a pin to hold it together?, and (2) What is the risk of arthritis in the future if you don't get it pinned?

Those questions will be answered next Wednesday. I saw 2 different surgeons a few weeks ago. One said I needed surgery and the other said I didn't. They were bickering in the hall about it. The guy I'm seeing next week is a hand specialist and will make the final suggestion on what he thinks is best.

Sent from iPhone

wgscott 09-13-17 01:48 PM


Originally Posted by Ty0604 (Post 19859420)
They were bickering in the hall about it.

That's actually a good thing (even if it isn't confidence-inspiring).

Ty0604 09-13-17 02:51 PM


Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 19859447)
That's actually a good thing (even if it isn't confidence-inspiring).

I sure hope so! The sooner I find out the better.

Pebs and I are moving out of state and had to delay it cause I can't lift anything heavy. If surgery means getting it fixed faster that's the route I'll go.

wgscott 09-13-17 07:51 PM

It can also help prevent osteo-arthritis down the road.

Pay someone to move you. I finally figured that out at about age 35, but it is well worth the expense.

aricc24 09-13-17 08:06 PM

Ive never broken my Scaphoid but I am a PT and have treated a few. Unfortunately they are fairly common for cyclists because the mechanism of injury is almost always falling on your hand, a natural instinct when falling off a bike. Depending on age, can take anywhere from 8-12 weeks to heal as an adult. Usually you are casted for this period of time.

The Scaphoid, unfortunately, is notorius for its high incidence of avascular necrosis, nonunions, and malunions. Fractures can compromise the blood supply and result in bone death. The risk of this decreases the more distally on the bone the fracture is, which is good news for you. Yours seems to be a fracture of the tubercle, which is pretty distal.

I'd advise seeing a hand specialist at some point, at least initially. They are typically OTs, but some PTs do specialize in the hand as well. They can definitely help you out when you are uncasted. You will be significantly stiff when the cast is removed and patients often complain of noticeable atrophy in the forearm.

shelbyfv 09-13-17 08:18 PM

Fun bit of nostalgia concerning "your" Spin bike going on in Touring. You should drop in and give "Babe" a hand:twitchy:

Ty0604 09-13-17 08:41 PM


Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 19860226)
It can also help prevent osteo-arthritis down the road.

Pay someone to move you. I finally figured that out at about age 35, but it is well worth the expense.

We're considering it. Might get a POD and do it that way. Trying to only take what we really need. She moved into my 1,400 SqFt condo from her parents 2,500 SqFt house and then we both moved into an 825 SqFt apartment. Needless to say we've accumulated way too much.


Originally Posted by aricc24 (Post 19860247)
Ive never broken my Scaphoid but I am a PT and have treated a few. Unfortunately they are fairly common for cyclists because the mechanism of injury is almost always falling on your hand, a natural instinct when falling off a bike. Depending on age, can take anywhere from 8-12 weeks to heal as an adult. Usually you are casted for this period of time.

The Scaphoid, unfortunately, is notorius for its high incidence of avascular necrosis, nonunions, and malunions. Fractures can compromise the blood supply and result in bone death. The risk of this decreases the more distally on the bone the fracture is, which is good news for you. Yours seems to be a fracture of the tubercle, which is pretty distal.

I'd advise seeing a hand specialist at some point, at least initially. They are typically OTs, but some PTs do specialize in the hand as well. They can definitely help you out when you are uncasted. You will be significantly stiff when the cast is removed and patients often complain of noticeable atrophy in the forearm.

That's a lot of medical terms! lol I'm in my mid-twenties. I've been seen by two orthopedic surgeons so far. The one I'm seeing next week is a hand specialist. Thank you for all of your information. The paramedics didn't seem too concerned when I said my hand was throbbing and they shrugged it off. I had my gf drive me to the ER. They put a splint on and my orthopedic surgeon put a cast on a week later. Tomorrow will be 5 weeks since the accident.


Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 19860264)
Fun bit of nostalgia concerning "your" Spin bike going on in Touring. You should drop in and give "Babe" a hand:twitchy:

I sold the Spin last year. Payton can defend herself. I don't know who you are so if you don't have anything relevant to say regarding my injury you can stop being a troll. Thank you.

Sent from iPhone

sweeks 09-13-17 09:38 PM


Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 19860226)
It can also help prevent osteo-arthritis down the road.

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my right triscaphoid joint about 3 years ago. It doesn't cause me much discomfort, which is good because I'm a right-handed endodontist. No one has been able to determine what caused it, but apparently my best course is to make sure it doesn't get worse by not abusing it. The hand surgeon I consulted said he didn't want to cut me yet.:eek:
Steve

aricc24 09-13-17 10:12 PM


Originally Posted by Ty0604 (Post 19860307)
We're considering it. Might get a POD and do it that way. Trying to only take what we really need. She moved into my 1,400 SqFt condo from her parents 2,500 SqFt house and then we both moved into an 825 SqFt apartment. Needless to say we've accumulated way too much.



That's a lot of medical terms! lol I'm in my mid-twenties. I've been seen by two orthopedic surgeons so far. The one I'm seeing next week is a hand specialist. Thank you for all of your information. The paramedics didn't seem too concerned when I said my hand was throbbing and they shrugged it off. I had my gf drive me to the ER. They put a splint on and my orthopedic surgeon put a cast on a week later. Tomorrow will be 5 weeks since the accident.



I sold the Spin last year. Payton can defend herself. I don't know who you are so if you don't have anything relevant to say regarding my injury you can stop being a troll. Thank you.

Sent from iPhone

Basically the further from your wrist the fracture is, the better chance of healing. You might get some residual acheyness from time to time after the 12 week healing period when bad weather comes. As a young adult youll probably be on the road again in no time. Wish you the ebst

stevoo 09-14-17 10:35 AM

Yes, Dr started me off in a hand brace. I kept riding (in pain). It failed to heal. Dr then put me in a cast. Finally healed.
Met a number of folks who had same injury in past and have lasting issues from it. Pain, weakness.
Seems this injury can be tough.
Good luck and hope you heal well.

WizardOfBoz 09-15-17 12:39 PM

There was a guy on the football team at Wisconsin that had a "fractured navicular", which is the same thing you have (apparently there is common but inaccurate use of the term "navicular", which is in the foot, while the scaphoid is in the hand). Anyway, "Jocko" was out there running around on the field with a cast on, for months. Not sure if or how well this ever healed up.

The point is, keep the thing immobilized and keep the cast until the thing heals. Apparently, they are very easily reinjured.

corrado33 09-15-17 04:10 PM

I broke my scaphoid when I was younger (8th grade). I didn't get it in a cast for 2 years (parents thought nothing was wrong so I just dealt with it.)

2 years later doctor said it's broken and has been broken for a while. Even after the cast every once in a while my wrist will bother me to the point where I'll ride one handed. I bought a wrist brace for flat bar riding. Nothing really helps for drop bar riding.

Wrist brace is troy lee designs something... maybe 5205... it works well enough.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:16 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.