Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Kryptonite Fahgettaboutit cracked

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Kryptonite Fahgettaboutit cracked

Old 10-02-17, 07:43 PM
  #1  
HerrKaLeun
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,884

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 154 Posts
Kryptonite Fahgettaboutit cracked

Saw this easy way to pick the lock and thougth it is a good reminder that there is no safe lock, just deterrents.


I have the lockpicking lawyer on susbcription and liek his calm, professional manner. No drama, just showing how he opens all the locks.
HerrKaLeun is offline  
Old 10-02-17, 07:52 PM
  #2  
Reynolds 
Passista
 
Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,161

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 195 Posts
In my experience bike thieves cut/break padlocks, cables and chains; they don't usually pick open a lock but use brute force.
Reynolds is offline  
Old 10-02-17, 08:47 PM
  #3  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 24,968
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13059 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds View Post
In my experience bike thieves cut/break padlocks, cables and chains; they don't usually pick open a lock but use brute force.
Perhaps.

The old Kryptonite locks were supposed to be able to be picked with fairly simple tools.

I think it depends on where the locked bike is, and when. I think bolt cutters would have troubles with the Kryptonite NY locks.

The crowbar method for breaking the locks, or even the cold freeze might also have troubles. And, of course, they risk damaging the bike.

So that leaves one with an angle grinder or picking it. I would hope an angle grinder would draw people's attention to oneself, but perhaps that isn't the case. Still, there might be a risk of a passing security guard seeing it.

If one got good enough with picking, it sounds like one could do it in a minute or two. Completely silent. Nothing to really draw one's attention to the effort one is expending. Make it look like one is packing one's gear before or after a ride.

Either take the lock with oneself, or leave locked where one snatched it, and leave the owner with a puzzle.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 10-02-17, 08:53 PM
  #4  
Flip Flop Rider
Senior Member
 
Flip Flop Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: South Carolina Upstate
Posts: 1,771

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 211 Posts
hopefully would be thieves don't have the internet
Flip Flop Rider is offline  
Old 10-02-17, 09:03 PM
  #5  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 24,968
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13059 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider View Post
hopefully would be thieves don't have the internet
Likely some do, some don't. There is also word of mouth.

My guess there are a couple types of thieves. Those opportunistic thieves, and those that target people for high-end thefts, and have the skills to move quality merchandise.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 10-02-17, 09:30 PM
  #6  
Reynolds 
Passista
 
Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,161

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Perhaps.

The old Kryptonite locks were supposed to be able to be picked with fairly simple tools.

I think it depends on where the locked bike is, and when. I think bolt cutters would have troubles with the Kryptonite NY locks.

The crowbar method for breaking the locks, or even the cold freeze might also have troubles. And, of course, they risk damaging the bike.

So that leaves one with an angle grinder or picking it. I would hope an angle grinder would draw people's attention to oneself, but perhaps that isn't the case. Still, there might be a risk of a passing security guard seeing it.

If one got good enough with picking, it sounds like one could do it in a minute or two. Completely silent. Nothing to really draw one's attention to the effort one is expending. Make it look like one is packing one's gear before or after a ride.

Either take the lock with oneself, or leave locked where one snatched it, and leave the owner with a puzzle.
That sounds logical, but you're not a thief. Sometimes they seem to have another way of thinking.
Reynolds is offline  
Old 10-02-17, 09:41 PM
  #7  
wgscott
Occam's Rotor
 
wgscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,876
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,964 Times in 974 Posts
I have enough trouble opening this thing with a key.

Fortunately, it is currently jammed off the bike.
wgscott is offline  
Old 10-02-17, 10:01 PM
  #8  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 24,968
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13059 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
I have enough trouble opening this thing with a key.

Fortunately, it is currently jammed off the bike.


Yes, I know.

Don't break the key in the lock, gentle does it.

One of my issues is that the key must be inserted all the way. It will seem to be most of the way in, and turn halfway when you really need to insert the key 1/8" further. Also, make sure you have no pressure on the lock itself.

I don't know if a lubricant is needed, but I don't think it hurts.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 10-02-17, 10:07 PM
  #9  
wgscott
Occam's Rotor
 
wgscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,876
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,964 Times in 974 Posts
Yeah, I turned it before I had the key in all the way. I've jammed it several times previously, on the bike, but always managed to get it off after a half-hour of high blood-pressure anxiety. But this time it is off the bike. I've messed with it under ideal lighting, etc, but it is jammed beyond hope I think. About a year ago I complained on the Kryptonite website, and they sent me another one, free of charge. So now I have two locks I am afraid to use.
wgscott is offline  
Old 10-02-17, 10:58 PM
  #10  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 12,673

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6066 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 533 Posts
Two and a half minutes to open the lock. Silently.

Based on owner comments, the lock is more of a risk to the user than a deterrent to a thief.

I maintain my position ... if I need a lock like that, I don't need to be locking my bike there. For the cost of the lock I could buy a couple beater bikes which no one would bother stealing, so I could always have my nicer ride for actually riding.
Maelochs is offline  
Old 10-02-17, 11:26 PM
  #11  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 24,968
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13059 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I maintain my position ... if I need a lock like that, I don't need to be locking my bike there. For the cost of the lock I could buy a couple beater bikes which no one would bother stealing, so I could always have my nicer ride for actually riding.
The opportunistic thieves will take anything with wheels, or maybe even without wheels.

If I rode a beater bike all the time, then I'd never be actually riding my nice bikes.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 10-02-17, 11:52 PM
  #12  
wgscott
Occam's Rotor
 
wgscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,876
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,964 Times in 974 Posts
...

Last edited by wgscott; 10-03-17 at 06:36 PM.
wgscott is offline  
Old 09-28-18, 07:56 AM
  #13  
jitenshajin
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Lancashire - The Red Rose County
Posts: 48

Bikes: Far too many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kryptonite suggests that you consider spending 10% of the total cost of your bike on security. But as noted above in this thread, price is not always a guarantee of security. However, judging by the locks I tend to see people using around town to lock their bike, it is more like 1%. Although, it probably a good thing that they can get away with not having their bike stolen, at least where I live.
jitenshajin is offline  
Old 09-28-18, 08:00 AM
  #14  
Marcus_Ti 
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 5,309

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 239 Posts
Originally Posted by jitenshajin View Post
Kryptonite suggests that you consider spending 10% of the total cost of your bike on security. But as noted above in this thread, price is not always a guarantee of security. However, judging by the locks I tend to see people using around town to lock their bike, it is more like 1%. Although, it probably a good thing that they can get away with not having their bike stolen, at least where I live.
Yea well, Kryptonite is in the business of selling lock hardware...and not paying out claims on their warranty.
Marcus_Ti is online now  
Old 09-28-18, 09:44 AM
  #15  
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 8,123

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 3,210 Times in 1,825 Posts
The biggest problem with these huge heavy U locks is the pain in the butt they are to carry. I have two of them sitting at home I really regret buying because I can never bring myself to want to use them. I ended up buying a folding lock instead and use a not-so-great cable lock to lock the back wheel to the frame. Probably a little less secure, but I actually use them because they don't ruin my ride.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 09-28-18, 11:28 AM
  #16  
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 13,343

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
"They" say the weight of your bike plus the weight of the required lock is a constant...
TrojanHorse is offline  
Old 09-28-18, 11:48 AM
  #17  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 24,968
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13059 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by jitenshajin View Post
Kryptonite suggests that you consider spending 10% of the total cost of your bike on security. But as noted above in this thread, price is not always a guarantee of security. However, judging by the locks I tend to see people using around town to lock their bike, it is more like 1%. Although, it probably a good thing that they can get away with not having their bike stolen, at least where I live.
Hard to say. I've seen cut cable locks on the ground where I was locking up my bike (with a a cable lock). As I started moving to bikes that would be more likely to catch attention, I started moving to heavier locks.

But, I have to doubt that it would be common for people in my neighborhoods to come in and cut any U-Lock in broad daylight for a bike that has been locked for a couple of minutes while the owner is in the store.

So, it is quite possible that one might be fine with one of the lighter, cheaper U-Locks.

Bike locked in public places overnight are a different story. Still, it is not uncommon to see one component locked with the U/Lock (frame, wheel, etc) with the rest of the bike gone. Presumably, again, stripped at night.

Hard to say when night occurs. I frequently finish my shopping trips after dark.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 09-28-18, 01:12 PM
  #18  
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 8,123

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 3,210 Times in 1,825 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
"They" say the weight of your bike plus the weight of the required lock is a constant...

A constant that shifts around, takes up a bunch of room in a bag or requires using precious frame space for a mount. Plus, it's awfully difficult sometimes to find something to lock the bike to because of the rigid geometry of the things.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 09-28-18, 03:07 PM
  #19  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,943

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 30 Posts
Abus for Life
ColonelSanders is offline  
Old 09-28-18, 10:22 PM
  #20  
Mark VerMurlen
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 32

Bikes: Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Two and a half minutes to open the lock. Silently.
I've watched several of this guy's videos where he picks a lock fairly easily. When I first watched him, I was really discouraged that he could pick locks so easily. As I've followed more of the discussion on his videos, its been said that this guy is extremely talented at lock picking beyond what most people can do. So that's some assurance that many of the locks he picks aren't as easily picked by common criminals or even other skilled lock pickers.

I like that he often mentions ways the locks could be improved to make them more difficult to pick or crack. Hopefully lock manufacturers are noting some of his comments and making improvements. His comments have also steered me away from some brands and towards others.

Mark
Mark VerMurlen is offline  
Old 09-28-18, 10:44 PM
  #21  
Marcus_Ti 
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 5,309

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 239 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark VerMurlen View Post
I've watched several of this guy's videos where he picks a lock fairly easily. When I first watched him, I was really discouraged that he could pick locks so easily. As I've followed more of the discussion on his videos, its been said that this guy is extremely talented at lock picking beyond what most people can do. So that's some assurance that many of the locks he picks aren't as easily picked by common criminals or even other skilled lock pickers.

I like that he often mentions ways the locks could be improved to make them more difficult to pick or crack. Hopefully lock manufacturers are noting some of his comments and making improvements. His comments have also steered me away from some brands and towards others.

Mark
Most thieves don't need to worry about learning lockpicking. A battery powered angle grinder will do the job in less time....and honestly no one will stop you or raise an eyebrow.
Marcus_Ti is online now  
Old 09-29-18, 09:49 AM
  #22  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 7,740

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 664 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti View Post
Yea well, Kryptonite is in the business of selling lock hardware...and not paying out claims on their warranty.
Was it their lock that failed or the locking method. If someone locks to a fence and the fence is cut, the lock did its job. Why should they pay out because you (general) locked it to something more easily cut. The reason they have the policy they do is so they don't get a bunch of scams of people who didn't follow good locking procedure and their bike got stolen but not because of the actual lock.

They want to know their lock actually failed and want people to prove it because so many bikes get stolen and so many people let them get stolen using poor locking practices. It is not like they can just give people checks because their bike is gone if that were the case they wouldn't be in business. Granted I prefer the Made in Germeny ABUS locks (not the cheap stuff made in China) but if they offered a similar program I would hope they did similar rules to encourage good locking.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 09-29-18, 09:58 AM
  #23  
wgscott
Occam's Rotor
 
wgscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,876
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,964 Times in 974 Posts
I tried to un-jam my lock from a year ago. Still stuck.
Another one sits next to it in the garage. I am afraid to put it on a bike.
wgscott is offline  
Old 09-29-18, 10:04 AM
  #24  
Marcus_Ti 
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 5,309

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 239 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Was it their lock that failed or the locking method. If someone locks to a fence and the fence is cut, the lock did its job. Why should they pay out because you (general) locked it to something more easily cut. The reason they have the policy they do is so they don't get a bunch of scams of people who didn't follow good locking procedure and their bike got stolen but not because of the actual lock.

They want to know their lock actually failed and want people to prove it because so many bikes get stolen and so many people let them get stolen using poor locking practices. It is not like they can just give people checks because their bike is gone if that were the case they wouldn't be in business. Granted I prefer the Made in Germeny ABUS locks (not the cheap stuff made in China) but if they offered a similar program I would hope they did similar rules to encourage good locking.
No they try to make claims impossible to get with their TOS for their warranty. I've only ever heard of one person ever claiming to have successfully gotten anything out of a Kryptonite warranty. Ever, out of lots of people who had grand theft and knew how to lock a bike up right.
Marcus_Ti is online now  
Old 09-29-18, 10:05 AM
  #25  
wgscott
Occam's Rotor
 
wgscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,876
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,964 Times in 974 Posts
Right up there with surge protector warranties.
wgscott is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.