General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Back Pain - Worried !!

Old 03-26-18, 08:19 AM
  #26  
cyclintom
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Leandro
Posts: 2,894

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Originally Posted by John Young View Post
Thank you for replying

Do you have numbness in part of your arm and sometimes a weird feeling a bit like very mild pins and needles in your leg (one side only) ?

And did you ever have your bloods done and have Immunoglobulins A Raised a bit over normal ?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to ease my worry
Having blood levels off somewhat is NORMAL. They usually give normal limits of different readings but that is only a guide and not a strict limit. For instance, I have high LDL's but HDL's four or five times normal. So the one offsets the other and they say there's nothing to worry about with blocked arteries. My hematocrit is always low as is my iron even though I'm careful to eat well and take vitamin and iron supplements. I put that down to riding all the time and wearing RBC's out faster than normal.

So I wouldn't worry unless and until there is something to worry about. If your doctor referred you to a hematologist I would think that you expressed worry to him and he is only easing your worry.
cyclintom is offline  
Old 03-26-18, 09:46 AM
  #27  
Troul
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 1,436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
Your post didn't make sense.
quoting the areas that the OP stated, I gave my concern for it linking to a possible heart issue.
Troul is offline  
Old 03-26-18, 10:20 AM
  #28  
Cuyuna
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Troul View Post
quoting the areas that the OP stated, I gave my concern for it linking to a possible heart issue.
Yeah, that was the part that didn't make sense. How to you leap to "heart issue" from the OP's post?
Cuyuna is offline  
Old 03-26-18, 11:23 AM
  #29  
John Young
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
John Young's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 76

Bikes: carrera virtuoso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Originally Posted by cyclintom View Post
Having blood levels off somewhat is NORMAL. They usually give normal limits of different readings but that is only a guide and not a strict limit. For instance, I have high LDL's but HDL's four or five times normal. So the one offsets the other and they say there's nothing to worry about with blocked arteries. My hematocrit is always low as is my iron even though I'm careful to eat well and take vitamin and iron supplements. I put that down to riding all the time and wearing RBC's out faster than normal.

So I wouldn't worry unless and until there is something to worry about. If your doctor referred you to a hematologist I would think that you expressed worry to him and he is only easing your worry.
Thank you and yes I told the doctor my past history with cancer (20 years ago) and I think they are being careful. But I was told years ago that after I was cured of my hodgkins disease (cancer) I was no more likely to get any other cancer than anyone in the street.
John Young is offline  
Old 03-26-18, 12:01 PM
  #30  
Troul
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 1,436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
Yeah, that was the part that didn't make sense. How to you leap to "heart issue" from the OP's post?
google common symptoms to heart issues.
Troul is offline  
Old 03-26-18, 12:42 PM
  #31  
Cuyuna
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Troul View Post
google common symptoms to heart issues.
I'd put "heart issues" pretty low in the list of the things that the OP might be worrying about. You and Dr. Google don't make a very good care team.
Cuyuna is offline  
Old 03-26-18, 03:21 PM
  #32  
Troul
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 1,436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
I'd put "heart issues" pretty low in the list of the things that the OP might be worrying about. You and Dr. Google don't make a very good care team.
Im no doctor, but I'll take a look lol
Troul is offline  
Old 03-27-18, 12:07 PM
  #33  
restlessswind
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 204

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check (Flat Bar) 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1995 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo -Grateful Dead Ed, Generic Ebike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
My wife suffers from a traumatic compound back and hip injury. She had a fused L4-L5 vertebrae and a "port and polish" in her hip joint. She rides a mid-range 27 speed hardtail MTB with a suspension seatpost and a firm, but comfy saddle. She is more athletic on a bike than any other activity. She can not, under any circumstances, ride a rigid bike. She rides low-technical singletrack and pavement with ease. Too much climbing is still a struggle though. (about no more than 200' in a 3 mile range)
restlessswind is offline  
Old 03-28-18, 07:54 AM
  #34  
John Young
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
John Young's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 76

Bikes: carrera virtuoso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Originally Posted by restlessswind View Post
My wife suffers from a traumatic compound back and hip injury. She had a fused L4-L5 vertebrae and a "port and polish" in her hip joint. She rides a mid-range 27 speed hardtail MTB with a suspension seatpost and a firm, but comfy saddle. She is more athletic on a bike than any other activity. She can not, under any circumstances, ride a rigid bike. She rides low-technical singletrack and pavement with ease. Too much climbing is still a struggle though. (about no more than 200' in a 3 mile range)
Its amazing and encouraging to any of us that your wife still rides at all. That is some true grit and determination there

I am still out riding and at the moment it actually seems to help which is brilliant
John Young is offline  
Old 03-28-18, 04:20 PM
  #35  
restlessswind
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 204

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check (Flat Bar) 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1995 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo -Grateful Dead Ed, Generic Ebike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
It amazes me too at her abilities. She can't drive a car if her life depended on it due to the seatback contact to her back. She can't sit or stand in one position for more than 10 minutes, but she can pedal 20-30 miles in a day. It's her therapy.
restlessswind is offline  
Old 03-29-18, 03:29 PM
  #36  
John Young
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
John Young's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 76

Bikes: carrera virtuoso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
She is inspirational
John Young is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.