Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page > Does this bike (of my dreams) exist? 700c monster cross w/ disc brakes?
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does this bike (of my dreams) exist? 700c monster cross w/ disc brakes?

Reply

Old 05-16-18, 05:23 PM
  #1  
not_hip
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Does this bike (of my dreams) exist? 700c monster cross w/ disc brakes?

Well, I'm actually just looking for a frameset.
  • Steel frame and fork.
  • Minimum 700x45mm tire clearance with fenders.
  • Sub 405 mm reach (I have a short torso, giant legs).
  • Front rack eyelets.
  • Disc brake ready.
  • Near horizontal top tube (not the sloping kind).
  • Big frame size available (~60 cm C-C seat tube). ~85 cm standover or above.
  • Sub $1000.
  • Quick release, not thru-axle (not a deal breaker).
Closest thing I've found is Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, but no disc brakes. They've got a disc version coming out, but for that they're changing the geometry (sloping top tube). Soulcraft Dirtbomb is close (well, not the price), but no disc brakes. Surly Disc Trucker 62 cm frameset looks good too, but clearance is around 40mm with fenders...

Anything I've missed?

EDIT: oh, forgot adding one of the most important points: short reach. I have short torso and I prefer an upright position.

Last edited by not_hip; 05-16-18 at 11:51 PM.
not_hip is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18, 05:31 PM
  #2  
AlexanderLS
BF=Rudest Cyclists
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
I've been looking to get this one for awhile.
It states that you can fit up to 45mm tires. I'm not sure if you could do so with fenders.
It is single speed, because I like single speed. I'd imagine they have a similar bike with gears.
AlexanderLS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18, 05:54 PM
  #3  
not_hip
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Originally Posted by AlexanderLS View Post
I've been looking to get this one for awhile.
It states that you can fit up to 45mm tires. I'm not sure if you could do so with fenders.
It is single speed, because I like single speed. I'd imagine they have a similar bike with gears.
Thanks. I'm only looking for a frameset. Also, I want something with more traditional looks (and steel, not aluminum).
not_hip is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18, 06:19 PM
  #4  
ThermionicScott 
Gratuitous glib and snark
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 16,992

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
If it were me, I'd commit to disc or rim brakes, and embrace thru-axle if the former. It's much wiser for the front wheel.
__________________
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18, 06:46 PM
  #5  
Teamprovicycle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Providence
Posts: 122

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Giant tcx zero ??? It just diesnt have disc brakes on my model but the new ones do ??!!
Teamprovicycle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18, 08:12 PM
  #6  
stringsonbikes
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Soma wolverine. Also look at the masi giaramondo, but I think it may only come as a complete.

Last edited by stringsonbikes; 05-16-18 at 08:50 PM.
stringsonbikes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18, 08:45 PM
  #7  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 3,868

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (that will soon have DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Specialized Sequoia Pro Module would be a neat bike to build up. It ticks a few of your boxes but overall as a complete bike is an excellent ride. If I wasn't already working on so many projects and didn't have an excellent touring bike, I would probably build one up. Sure it may not be perfectly horizontal or quick release but meh on both of those for that kind of bike these days. You can get a 61 with carbon fork with mounts on it disc brakes and plenty of clearance. Plus it is well made and well reviewed.

The Soma Wolverine mentioned above me is another option but it lost me at no thru axles and non-tapered steerer and while I don't dislike sliding dropouts I don't know that I would want them on a build. I am not normally opposed to a non-tapered steerer but all the great new forks are tapered such as the Rodeo Labs Spork or the Ren Cycles fork with their Ti rando rack. It is an excellent bike for a more old school build but as I get older my tastes have changed in some forms and I want all that modern stuff on the bike (minus press fit and non-27.2 seatposts)
veganbikes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18, 08:48 PM
  #8  
Abu Mahendra
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bali
Posts: 1,790

Bikes: Dahon Dash P18, Dahon Dash Altena, Bannard Sunny.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Specialized Sequoia Pro Module would be a neat bike to build up. It ticks a few of your boxes but overall as a complete bike is an excellent ride. If I wasn't already working on so many projects and didn't have an excellent touring bike, I would probably build one up. Sure it may not be perfectly horizontal or quick release but meh on both of those for that kind of bike these days. You can get a 61 with carbon fork with mounts on it disc brakes and plenty of clearance. Plus it is well made and well reviewed.

The Soma Wolverine mentioned above me is another option but it lost me at no thru axles and non-tapered steerer and while I don't dislike sliding dropouts I don't know that I would want them on a build. I am not normally opposed to a non-tapered steerer but all the great new forks are tapered such as the Rodeo Labs Spork or the Ren Cycles fork with their Ti rando rack. It is an excellent bike for a more old school build but as I get older my tastes have changed in some forms and I want all that modern stuff on the bike (minus press fit and non-27.2 seatposts)
What's wrong with non-27.2 seatposts?
Abu Mahendra is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18, 08:54 PM
  #9  
Kedosto
Ambulophobic
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Leandro, CA
Posts: 522

Bikes: Specialized AWOL Expert, Specialized Sirrus Sport Disc

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Specialized AWOL. Top tube slopes a bit but it hits all your bullet points.


-Kedosto
Kedosto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18, 09:13 PM
  #10  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 3,868

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (that will soon have DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra View Post
What's wrong with non-27.2 seatposts?
They are all the wrong size.
veganbikes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18, 10:40 PM
  #11  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,428

Bikes: 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
They are all the wrong size.

ColonelSanders is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18, 11:53 PM
  #12  
not_hip
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
If it were me, I'd commit to disc or rim brakes, and embrace thru-axle if the former. It's much wiser for the front wheel.
To be clear: I want disc brakes. It's a must. I just showed what kind of frameset I was after (because they ticked almost every other box.
not_hip is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-18, 01:50 AM
  #13  
not_hip
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
To make things even more complicated... I forgot to mention that I have very long inseam and short torso, so a short reach frameset is a must. I added that to my OP.

Originally Posted by Kedosto View Post
Specialized AWOL. Top tube slopes a bit but it hits all your bullet points.
I wrote it off because of the rather long reach and sloping top tube. But, it's a beauty (and available as frameset)!

Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Specialized Sequoia Pro Module would be a neat bike to build up. It ticks a few of your boxes but overall as a complete bike is an excellent ride. If I wasn't already working on so many projects and didn't have an excellent touring bike, I would probably build one up. Sure it may not be perfectly horizontal or quick release but meh on both of those for that kind of bike these days. You can get a 61 with carbon fork with mounts on it disc brakes and plenty of clearance. Plus it is well made and well reviewed.
Quick release is fine, but bikes with a sloping top tube looks ridiculous with my 93 cm inseam. Seat post in the sky. Also, I prefer the steel fork look (Wolverine style).

Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
The Soma Wolverine mentioned above me is another option but it lost me at no thru axles and non-tapered steerer and while I don't dislike sliding dropouts I don't know that I would want them on a build. I am not normally opposed to a non-tapered steerer but all the great new forks are tapered such as the Rodeo Labs Spork or the Ren Cycles fork with their Ti rando rack. It is an excellent bike for a more old school build but as I get older my tastes have changed in some forms and I want all that modern stuff on the bike (minus press fit and non-27.2 seatposts)
Wolverine I've looked at. Wrote it off because of the long reach. But surprise, it looks like it's one of the few frames with 45 mm (with fenders!) clearance. Didn't notice that. The Disc Trucker has a 401 mm reach for the 62 cm model, that might be on the large side but will probably work. I'd be very happy to keep it at ~395. The Wolverine is 412 mm.

Originally Posted by stringsonbikes View Post
Also look at the masi giaramondo, but I think it may only come as a complete.
The Giramondo is sloping but looks excellent aside from that. Too bad I got stuck with that one. Found no reseller in Europe and not available as frameset.

Last edited by not_hip; 05-17-18 at 01:54 AM.
not_hip is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-18, 09:49 AM
  #14  
General Geoff
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 474

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Due to your particular geometry requirements, you'll probably want a smaller frame size but with higher ground clearance (so cyclocross would work well), to fit longer crank arms to take advantage of your long legs. Your unique body type is not readily served by an off-the-shelf geometry, so some tweaking will be required regardless of what frame you go with.
General Geoff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-18, 10:09 AM
  #15  
rgconner
Senior Member
 
rgconner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 685

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
This will bust your budget, but only a little.

https://www.oasiscustomcycles.com/

$1399, and you get *exactly* what you want!
Well, maybe. He does not specifically make CX bikes, but he does do tandems... and a tandem has wider tires and heftier tubes, so the translation might be possible. Have to call the guy and ask.

Believe me, a custom steel bike is a thing of wonder, especially if you have weird body types like we do. I am the opposite, 5' 11" and 29 inch inseam. Dropping top tubes are a MUST for me. Which is why I had a custom frame built 18 years ago, it has a slightly dropping top tube to make all the other geometry work.




BTW, QR and Disc have some issues. Because clearances are so precise on disc brakes the relative inaccuracy of a QR mount can be problematic. Thru Axle is there to do two things:

Add more rigidity to the fork.
Ensure consistent positioning of the wheel relative to the disc brake.

They are not mutually exclusive, but if you don't get that QR set just right, you will probably get dragging from the disc brake.
rgconner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-18, 11:44 AM
  #16  
Leebo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 5,070

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
As said, check out Soma. Kona, Waterford, Surly, Salsa would be good too.
Leebo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-18, 12:27 PM
  #17  
Craptacular8
Senior Member
 
Craptacular8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
If you were flexible on the 700c part (it will take 700x42, but 650bx48 with fenders), the All City Gorilla Monsoon checks most of the boxes, particularly the reach in their 61cm size is 401, standover 87.
Craptacular8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-18, 09:10 PM
  #18  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 3,868

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (that will soon have DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
For some reason I thought you wanted a carbon fork! Then a non-tapered steerer makes sense for you. I know it is more but Co-Motion makes some excellent frames and would be a great choice. I am quite happy with my Cascadia but you would probably want something a touch different because of wider tire clearance but I believe the Deschutes is right up your alley or close to it.
veganbikes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-18, 02:48 PM
  #19  
not_hip
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
Due to your particular geometry requirements, you'll probably want a smaller frame size but with higher ground clearance (so cyclocross would work well), to fit longer crank arms to take advantage of your long legs. Your unique body type is not readily served by an off-the-shelf geometry, so some tweaking will be required regardless of what frame you go with.
The Disc Trucker may not be the best choice then. Touring style ground clearance. It's the closest I've gotten to the geometry I'm after though. Short reach, super long seat post for the 62 cm version (they measure center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube/top tube junction, rather than traditional C-T).

Originally Posted by rgconner View Post
This will bust your budget, but only a little.

https://www.oasiscustomcycles.com/

$1399, and you get *exactly* what you want!
Well, maybe. He does not specifically make CX bikes, but he does do tandems... and a tandem has wider tires and heftier tubes, so the translation might be possible. Have to call the guy and ask.

Believe me, a custom steel bike is a thing of wonder, especially if you have weird body types like we do. I am the opposite, 5' 11" and 29 inch inseam. Dropping top tubes are a MUST for me. Which is why I had a custom frame built 18 years ago, it has a slightly dropping top tube to make all the other geometry work.
Looks like a dream. But I'm in Sweden and after shipping, VAT and tolls it will be $1,950 according to Swedish Customs calculator.

Originally Posted by Leebo View Post
As said, check out Soma. Kona, Waterford, Surly, Salsa would be good too.
I've checked out every bike and frame available by those companies. No finds.

Originally Posted by Craptacular8 View Post
If you were flexible on the 700c part (it will take 700x42, but 650bx48 with fenders), the All City Gorilla Monsoon checks most of the boxes, particularly the reach in their 61cm size is 401, standover 87.
It's a beauty, but I want 700c wheels and a minimum 45mm tires with fenders. The Monsoon is limited to 42mm. Without fenders, it seems. It's a no go.

Last edited by not_hip; 05-18-18 at 02:54 PM.
not_hip is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-18, 02:58 PM
  #20  
not_hip
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
For some reason I thought you wanted a carbon fork! Then a non-tapered steerer makes sense for you. I know it is more but Co-Motion makes some excellent frames and would be a great choice. I am quite happy with my Cascadia but you would probably want something a touch different because of wider tire clearance but I believe the Deschutes is right up your alley or close to it.
Thanks, had a look at their bikes. Deschutes only takes 40 mm tires with fenders, so it's a no go. The Cascadia is even more restrictive, 35 mm with fenders.
not_hip is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-18, 05:31 PM
  #21  
mstateglfr 
Senior Member
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 6,105

Bikes: '87 Miyata 912, '80 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, '90 Fuji Saratoga, '90 Diamondback Ascent EX, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1882 Post(s)
You are looking for custom in a generic world.


use cantis- they work fine.
or use a sloping top tube- it works fine.

lose the ideal perfect look and get the ideal perfect fit.

i have a black mountain canti frame- love it. The disc version will be harsher since the fork is overbuilt(i guess properly built) to handle the disc brake twisting, but i bet itll be great still.
mstateglfr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-18, 08:15 PM
  #22  
Abu Mahendra
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bali
Posts: 1,790

Bikes: Dahon Dash P18, Dahon Dash Altena, Bannard Sunny.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Velo Orange Piolet?
Abu Mahendra is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-18, 08:45 PM
  #23  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 3,868

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (that will soon have DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Originally Posted by AlexanderLS View Post
If you could sacrifice your desire to have a steel frame or disk brakes you'd have many options.
The problem being, steel bikes are rare nowadays and generally only seen on the really low end.

You are asking for something so niche. Cyclocross bikes are already niche, then you add a bunch of other niche desires. Cyclocross is a weird middle ground between street and mountain bike.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Steel is on the low end? What bikes are you looking at other than Hi-ten crap at wally-mart. Jamis does a bunch of stuff in steel 631 and 853 Reynolds Tubing and their Renegade Escapade uses Ultegra (not low end for sure), Cinelli has the XCr and the Vigorelli (amongst others), Specialized does the AWOL and Sequoia, plus there is a ton of custom builders out there such as Chris Bishop, Independent Fabrications, Adam Sklar, Demon Frameworks (have you seen the lugs, hory shirt), Co-Motion...Plus there are some other decent options from the likes of Surly, All City and Soma which aren't high end but not low end either.

Steel is alive and well. Sure Carbon and Aluminum are bigger at this point but steel is, has been and always will be, REAL!

Originally Posted by not_hip View Post
Thanks, had a look at their bikes. Deschutes only takes 40 mm tires with fenders, so it's a no go. The Cascadia is even more restrictive, 35 mm with fenders.
I have 38s on my Cascadia with fenders granted if I could go back in the past I probably would have gone Americano so I have more clearance with the fenders. Though I wouldn't suggest the Cascadia for your use, I just happen to own one and love it and love the brand over all.
veganbikes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-18, 10:09 PM
  #24  
bcpriess
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 166

Bikes: 2017 Masi Giramondo 700c, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, Giant ATX 720 beater

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Originally Posted by stringsonbikes View Post
Soma wolverine. Also look at the masi giaramondo, but I think it may only come as a complete.
The Giramondo is *very* nice. About 4k miles into one and no regrets. And by my measurements might be able to accept up to 2.5in of rubber....
bcpriess is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-18, 05:19 AM
  #25  
dsaul
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
As a framebuilder, who just built a similar frame for a friend with the same long legs/short torso body, I will warn you about focusing too heavily on the short reach aspect of the frame. Shortening the reach on the frame also increases the toe overlap with the front wheel. In my friends case, we had to go with a short stem(50mm) to get the reach he wanted without his size 12 feet hitting the front tire. A short stem may not be aesthetically pleasing, but its not hard to get used to and I think its better for off road riding to have the front wheel pushed out a little more. I built my personal gravel bike(650b x 1.9" tires) with a 50mm stem and it handles great.
dsaul is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service