Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

It’s in France, not on this MUP

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

It’s in France, not on this MUP

Old 07-14-18, 12:52 PM
  #1  
Joe Bikerider
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 250

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Schwinn Spitfire 1960, Biria Easy Boarding 8, Linus Roadster 8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It’s in France, not on this MUP

Yesterday while heading home on my local MUP, I almost had a collision. There’s a street crossing that normally goes pretty smoothly. The local drivers are careful and bikers mostly too. I was approaching southbound with the intention of turning left onto the street. I stuck out my left arm and I was about to turn and some cyclist was right there ripping by without any warning. I yelled “you should say something”. His response, “like what?” Almost hit him.

As I cruised home pondering this occurance, I remembered. The Tour de France is on TV. I guess it’s a yearly thing. It makes my wish summer would be over so I can have the whole path to myself on a cold rainy day. Sigh.
Joe Bikerider is offline  
Old 07-14-18, 01:55 PM
  #2  
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 4,274

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
Do you use a helmet or glasses mount mirror? I realize you signalled, and that the other bike should have been expecting you to turn, but a mirror would help you make more informed decisions. But mirrors are no panacea. Despite my opsessive/compulsive mirror checking, I had a situation similar to yours a couple of weeks ago. I didn't see the bicyclist behind me in my mirror. I suspect he swung in around me from a side street in just such a way that I missed him, but as in your case, he should have seen me signal and slowed to allow it.
BobbyG is offline  
Old 07-14-18, 01:58 PM
  #3  
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 37,968

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 59 Posts
That guy's a jerk and should have called out the pass. However, I never, ever assume I'm clear. Always, always, always shoulder check when making a lateral move, whether commuting or racing. No mirror necessary.

Last edited by caloso; 07-14-18 at 04:06 PM.
caloso is offline  
Old 07-14-18, 02:17 PM
  #4  
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 13,137

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
That jerk probably didn't wave either!
TrojanHorse is offline  
Old 07-14-18, 04:03 PM
  #5  
DanBraden
Often on Fritz
 
DanBraden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 540

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
Do you use a helmet or glasses mount mirror? I realize you signalled, and that the other bike should have been expecting you to turn, but a mirror would help you make more informed decisions. But mirrors are no panacea. Despite my opsessive/compulsive mirror checking, I had a situation similar to yours a couple of weeks ago. I didn't see the bicyclist behind me in my mirror. I suspect he swung in around me from a side street in just such a way that I missed him, but as in your case, he should have seen me signal and slowed to allow it.
Yeah, mirrors are great! Defensive biking at it's finest!

Sometimes people just make mistakes and get embarrassed then lash out. However, this guy sounds like he'd be a jerk even if he didn't have "Tour Fever".
DanBraden is offline  
Old 07-14-18, 05:33 PM
  #6  
canamdad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON/Berkshire,UK
Posts: 111

Bikes: 1980 Mercian Pro steel, 2005 Specialized Roubaix, 2016 Norco Search

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The overtaking cyclist was negligent in not alerting you that he was passing (verbal or bell) but you always have to shoulder check first before making a left hand turn and then signal.
canamdad is offline  
Old 07-14-18, 05:42 PM
  #7  
Troul
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 1,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
i always ding ding or "on yer left" when going for a pass. It always catches them off guard & results in something negative from the situation.
Troul is offline  
Old 07-14-18, 05:59 PM
  #8  
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 5,525

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1318 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
However, I never, ever assume I'm clear. Always, always, always shoulder check when making a lateral move, whether commuting or racing. No mirror necessary.
Agreed 100%....I still shoulder check even if I am riding with a mirror. Maybe I am OCD about.
wolfchild is offline  
Old 07-14-18, 11:50 PM
  #9  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,819

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2676 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider View Post
...I yelled “you should say something”. His response, “like what?” Almost hit him.
You yelled at him. Mission accomplished.
canklecat is offline  
Old 07-15-18, 12:18 AM
  #10  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,464

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6718 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 138 Times in 117 Posts
cost of opportunity, you need a job, so you live there.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 07-15-18, 08:06 AM
  #11  
TakingMyTime
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Alamitos, Calif.
Posts: 1,258

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
At one point in our weekly ride my wife and I need to turn left across oncoming riders and other riders gaining on us in order to leave the path and transition on to the street. It is basically a hair-pin turn so we are usually reducing our speed at the same time. My wife is not as confident on a bike as I am so she usually wants to make sure she has enough elbow room in order to make this turn. Many times there will be a large group of much more experienced riders coming up fast behind us and she had the tendency to tense up. We now have a routine where I will let her go in front of me and as I drop back I make sure that my arm is sticking straight out and I'll slowly but ever so slightly move towards the center of the path in order to discourage people behind us from trying to pass us as we slow down for the turn. I've found that although I may be slowing down a more "professional" group of riders that they respect that a clear signal was given with more than enough time to negotiate the slow down.
TakingMyTime is offline  
Old 07-15-18, 09:48 AM
  #12  
HerrKaLeun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,341

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider View Post
Yesterday while heading home on my local MUP, I almost had a collision. There’s a street crossing that normally goes pretty smoothly. The local drivers are careful and bikers mostly too. I was approaching southbound with the intention of turning left onto the street. I stuck out my left arm and I was about to turn and some cyclist was right there ripping by without any warning. I yelled “you should say something”. His response, “like what?” Almost hit him.

As I cruised home pondering this occurance, I remembered. The Tour de France is on TV. I guess it’s a yearly thing. It makes my wish summer would be over so I can have the whole path to myself on a cold rainy day. Sigh.
Based on what you said, he is in the right. The same holds for cars... whoever makes a left turn has to make sure the road is clear. You didn't use mirrors or look back. Signalling alone isn't a magic wand to clear the path for you.
when you drive a car on the right lan and want to move over to the left, you also have to make sure there is room. Your blinker is no legal requirement for cars on the left lane to yield to you.

That guy who passed you should for self-interest announced himself, or slowed down, but there was no legal obligation. It was your turn to yield.
HerrKaLeun is offline  
Old 07-15-18, 10:04 AM
  #13  
DanBraden
Often on Fritz
 
DanBraden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 540

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
Based on what you said, he is in the right. The same holds for cars... whoever makes a left turn has to make sure the road is clear. You didn't use mirrors or look back. Signalling alone isn't a magic wand to clear the path for you.
when you drive a car on the right lan and want to move over to the left, you also have to make sure there is room. Your blinker is no legal requirement for cars on the left lane to yield to you.

That guy who passed you should for self-interest announced himself, or slowed down, but there was no legal obligation. It was your turn to yield.
I get what you're saying, but I stopped signaling to ask for permission long ago. When I signal it's an expression of intent. I intend to merge, don't be a dick.
DanBraden is offline  
Old 07-15-18, 10:35 AM
  #14  
John_V 
Senior Member
 
John_V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,299

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I ride daily, in Flatwoods Park, where several long distance world records were broken. It's a nicely paved, seven mile, one way, fairly wide, oval shaped path with no cross streets, no speed limit and no motorized traffic (other than the park rangers and authorized vehicles). It's the training site for the USF Cycling Team and countless triathletes in the area. Tour Fever at Flatwoods is a year around event. You just have to learn to get over what other riders do or don't do while you are riding on the same path as they are. I have learned that calling out to them for something did/didn't do isn't going to make them change any.
__________________
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
John_V is offline  
Old 07-15-18, 11:49 AM
  #15  
Joe Bikerider
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 250

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Schwinn Spitfire 1960, Biria Easy Boarding 8, Linus Roadster 8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
cost of opportunity, you need a job, so you live there.
Actually I was was born here and still live here. And I don’t have or need a job.
Joe Bikerider is offline  
Old 07-15-18, 12:36 PM
  #16  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
TimothyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 13,825

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6239 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 155 Posts
It was yesterday. Let it go. You said something to the guy. That's enough. There are 8,657 things more important today.

Ten years ago I decided not to get upset over things I have no control over - easy to say but difficult in practice. How people ride their bikes or pass others is not within my control. I worry about how I ride because that is something I can control.

Kudos for having the presence of mind to realize he was there before it turned bad. My peripheral vision isn't what it used to be.


-Tim-
TimothyH is offline  
Old 07-15-18, 02:17 PM
  #17  
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,426

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3295 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider View Post
Yesterday while heading home on my local MUP, I almost had a collision. There’s a street crossing that normally goes pretty smoothly. The local drivers are careful and bikers mostly too. I was approaching southbound with the intention of turning left onto the street. I stuck out my left arm and I was about to turn and some cyclist was right there ripping by without any warning. I yelled “you should say something”. His response, “like what?” Almost hit him.

As I cruised home pondering this occurance, I remembered. The Tour de France is on TV. I guess it’s a yearly thing. It makes my wish summer would be over so I can have the whole path to myself on a cold rainy day. Sigh.
People are jerks. That is why you and only you are responsible for your safety. Never assume you have right of way.

spinnaker is offline  
Old 07-15-18, 09:29 PM
  #18  
HerrKaLeun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,341

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I was driving 80 miles today. Probably 100 such situations where someone didn't use blinker, or just cut me off and i had to use the brakes etc. i may have done some wrongs things too.
Somehow car drivers seem more relaxed and don't go to the internet to complain about every single instance.
HerrKaLeun is offline  
Old 07-16-18, 08:10 PM
  #19  
Humpy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider View Post
I yelled “you should say something”. His response, “like what?”
Seems pretty rude of you not to answer his question.
Humpy is offline  
Old 07-17-18, 06:53 AM
  #20  
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...
 
Dudelsack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Loovul
Posts: 6,529

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Next time, give him THE LOOK.
__________________
We are on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don’t know.
Dudelsack is offline  
Old 07-17-18, 07:08 AM
  #21  
Hypno Toad
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 3,582

Bikes: 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
That guy's a jerk and should have called out the pass. However, I never, ever assume I'm clear. Always, always, always shoulder check when making a lateral move, whether commuting or racing. No mirror necessary.
+1

Always check behind you before making a maneuver. As a fast rider, I rarely get passed, but I still check all the time. A defensive rider is aware of their surroundings at all times.

There many people that feel the bike trails are their private closed course, they are paththletes (AKA jerks).

Edit/afterthought - this issue has nothing to do with TdF, just like the Indianapolis 500 doesn't cause people to speed on the highway.
Hypno Toad is offline  
Old 07-17-18, 07:14 AM
  #22  
Skipjacks
Senior Member
 
Skipjacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Mid Atlantic / USA
Posts: 1,843

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 73 Posts
I don't use a mirror (helmet or handlebar mounted) for this very reason.

It forces me to whip my head around and physically look. There is no replacement for looking. None. Not on a bike. Not in a car. If you're going to make a turn, look where you are going before changing your course.

That said, Speedy McClosePass mentioned in the OP is still a moron. But turning your head to look where you are going is basic Moron Defense.
Skipjacks is offline  
Old 07-17-18, 07:14 AM
  #23  
Skipjacks
Senior Member
 
Skipjacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Mid Atlantic / USA
Posts: 1,843

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad View Post
There many people that feel the bike trails are their private closed course, they are paththletes (AKA jerks).
Pathletes!!

HAHAHAHA

I'm stealing that.
Skipjacks is offline  
Old 07-17-18, 07:19 AM
  #24  
Hypno Toad
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 3,582

Bikes: 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks View Post
Pathletes!!

HAHAHAHA

I'm stealing that.
I wish I could claim credit for this term ... but I stole it too!
Hypno Toad is offline  
Old 07-17-18, 07:23 AM
  #25  
Milton Keynes
Senior Member
 
Milton Keynes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 2,469

Bikes: Two-wheeled human-powered vehicles, but that's not important right now

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks View Post
I don't use a mirror (helmet or handlebar mounted) for this very reason.

It forces me to whip my head around and physically look. There is no replacement for looking. None. Not on a bike. Not in a car. If you're going to make a turn, look where you are going before changing your course.

That said, Speedy McClosePass mentioned in the OP is still a moron. But turning your head to look where you are going is basic Moron Defense.
I always use my mirrors so I don't have to turn my head. It's hard for me to keep a straight line if I'm turning my head to look behind me. Plus, I have a wide enough field of view in the mirror I can see everything behind me, and all I have to do is turn my head back & forth slightly to see beyond the mirror's field of view.
Milton Keynes is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.