Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Priority 600 (pinion gearbox)

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Priority 600 (pinion gearbox)

Old 08-23-19, 12:31 PM
  #51  
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
better price

noticed that Costco sells the Embark for 3000

Last edited by oldguy47; 09-08-19 at 02:11 PM. Reason: typo
oldguy47 is offline  
Old 08-26-19, 02:41 PM
  #52  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hilo Hawaii
Posts: 76

Bikes: Landshark, Kestrel Ironman, Giant Defy, Redline 925er, Orbea team Euskatel, AMP B2, Landshark e-Tandem, and, well you get the idea.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 17 Posts
I just received my Priority 600 2 weeks ago and started riding it around town. I hope to take it up in the hills soon to test the gearing range. But it arrived quickly and assembled within 90 minutes. Quality seems OK for a frame built in China and put together there. added a rear rack and the pedal straps as well for my commute. I'll write a more detailed review as I go.
Magnum PI is offline  
Old 08-26-19, 02:50 PM
  #53  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hilo Hawaii
Posts: 76

Bikes: Landshark, Kestrel Ironman, Giant Defy, Redline 925er, Orbea team Euskatel, AMP B2, Landshark e-Tandem, and, well you get the idea.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 17 Posts
Shifting is incredibly smooth and it does not take much to lighten your pedaling mode to enable a shift with no load. The generator light has a new feature that allow it to charge your phone while you ride. Have not tried it yet but a nice feature if you commute or use strava/GPS while you ride. Also the 2019 edition comes with a carbon fiber seatpost.
Magnum PI is offline  
Old 08-26-19, 04:51 PM
  #54  
Senior Member
 
JonathanGennick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Munising, Michigan, USA
Posts: 4,131

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Magnum PI
Shifting is incredibly smooth and it does not take much to lighten your pedaling mode to enable a shift with no load. The generator light has a new feature that allow it to charge your phone while you ride. Have not tried it yet but a nice feature if you commute or use strava/GPS while you ride. Also the 2019 edition comes with a carbon fiber seatpost.
You probably also have Pinion's new edition shifter. Pretty sure it was spec'd on the latest production run. Cable routing is a little bit nicer with it.
JonathanGennick is offline  
Old 08-26-19, 05:04 PM
  #55  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Hill Country ;-)
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So for you Priority 600 owners, how do you compare your overall speed with it compared to bikes with typical front/rear derailleurs? I would think it's a little less efficient, but is it very noticeable? I bought a very inexpensive bike with a Nexus 8, and I found it to be noticeably slower . . . I question if the Nexus on it was inferior to a more expensive bike (thinking perhaps they received their hubs at a discount for a REASON).
Payton1221 is offline  
Old 08-26-19, 05:04 PM
  #56  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hilo Hawaii
Posts: 76

Bikes: Landshark, Kestrel Ironman, Giant Defy, Redline 925er, Orbea team Euskatel, AMP B2, Landshark e-Tandem, and, well you get the idea.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 17 Posts
Yes, it supposedly has a new shifter, but I have no idea what the previous shifter was like. Would be nice if the bike was lighter, but for what it is supposed to do it seems spot on. First Gates belt drive experience for me as well.
I have to post more in order to post pictures, I usually read a bunch of stuff on the forums without comment. Too much commentary going on in the world today. Although cycling unites us all!
Magnum PI is offline  
Old 08-26-19, 05:47 PM
  #57  
Senior Member
 
JonathanGennick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Munising, Michigan, USA
Posts: 4,131

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Magnum PI
Yes, it supposedly has a new shifter, but I have no idea what the previous shifter was like.
I like the cable routing better on the new design because the cables leave the shifter going parallel w/the handlebar. That in theory should make it easier to attach the pogies that I run in winter to keep my hands warm.
JonathanGennick is offline  
Old 08-27-19, 11:33 AM
  #58  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,532

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Payton1221
So for you Priority 600 owners, how do you compare your overall speed with it compared to bikes with typical front/rear derailleurs? I would think it's a little less efficient, but is it very noticeable? I bought a very inexpensive bike with a Nexus 8, and I found it to be noticeably slower . . . I question if the Nexus on it was inferior to a more expensive bike (thinking perhaps they received their hubs at a discount for a REASON).
Don't have a Pinion. But here is my own completely unscientific experiment/experience.
Bike 1: Nexus 7, upright geometry - slow and inefficient
Bike 2: Alfine 8, "sports touring geo" - much speedier, more efficient. I surmise partially due to hub but mostly due to better fit and geometry
Bike 3: 2 x 6, vintage road bike geo, but with bars positioned higher for comfort. Faster than Bike 2, more efficient feeling
Bike 4: Alfine 11, custom bike with low trail sports-touring like geo, similar upright setup to Bike 2 - fastest of all the bikes (of course none are road bikes). This one has faster handling/steeper geometry than the others. Somewhat faster than bike 3, but bike 3 feels speedy as well. The gearing here is also better for me, so that helps too.

So my hypothesis is geometry matters a lot. But I am not a fast rider. That being said, my times are around 25% faster from bike 2 to bike 4. And bike 3 the delta is around 10%. Will need to ride 3 and 4 back to back as they are in my possession now.
jade408 is offline  
Old 08-29-19, 01:20 PM
  #59  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 780

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Still considering a Pinion equipped bike as my next two wheeled purchase. The Priority 600 is a steal at $2300, and while I would love to purchase a made-in-USA bike, to get the same feature set as the Priority I'm looking at spending $6,500+ on a Co-Motion w/Pinion and their Pathfinder package (dynamo hub and lights/usb charger).

Any other under-$4000 options available for Pinion bikes in the states?
General Geoff is offline  
Old 08-30-19, 08:57 AM
  #60  
Sierra
 
ChrisWagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
Any other under-$4000 options available for Pinion bikes in the states?
I've been searching for over a year and have found nothing that suits my needs. At this point I consider either a) waiting patiently until something does show up or b) take a Euro vacation to revisit some old friends & haunts, find an acceptable pinion bike for myself, secure same and return home to the US, I leaning towards b.
ChrisWagner is offline  
Old 08-30-19, 09:10 AM
  #61  
Senior Member
 
JonathanGennick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Munising, Michigan, USA
Posts: 4,131

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisWagner
I've been searching for over a year and have found nothing that suits my needs. At this point I consider either a) waiting patiently until something does show up or b) take a Euro vacation to revisit some old friends & haunts, find an acceptable pinion bike for myself, secure same and return home to the US, I leaning towards b.
What is the pricing like in Europe? Is there a specific model there that you are looking at?
JonathanGennick is offline  
Old 08-30-19, 09:20 AM
  #62  
Sierra
 
ChrisWagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
What is the pricing like in Europe? Is there a specific model there that you are looking at?
I really like Tout Terrain product. When I use their bike builder web site, convert Euro>$ and compare the same bike sold here the delta will pay for my trip over and back if I don't go crazy. Plus there is a huge used bike market over there full of very nice bikes at reasonable prices.
ChrisWagner is offline  
Old 08-31-19, 07:05 AM
  #63  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Hill Country ;-)
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jade408
Don't have a Pinion. But here is my own completely unscientific experiment/experience.
Bike 1: Nexus 7, upright geometry - slow and inefficient
Bike 2: Alfine 8, "sports touring geo" - much speedier, more efficient. I surmise partially due to hub but mostly due to better fit and geometry
Bike 3: 2 x 6, vintage road bike geo, but with bars positioned higher for comfort. Faster than Bike 2, more efficient feeling
Bike 4: Alfine 11, custom bike with low trail sports-touring like geo, similar upright setup to Bike 2 - fastest of all the bikes (of course none are road bikes). This one has faster handling/steeper geometry than the others. Somewhat faster than bike 3, but bike 3 feels speedy as well. The gearing here is also better for me, so that helps too.

So my hypothesis is geometry matters a lot. But I am not a fast rider. That being said, my times are around 25% faster from bike 2 to bike 4. And bike 3 the delta is around 10%. Will need to ride 3 and 4 back to back as they are in my possession now.
Thanks for posting this.
Payton1221 is offline  
Likes For Payton1221:
Old 09-02-19, 02:47 PM
  #64  
Senior Member
 
Ridefreemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Western Florida
Posts: 1,581

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Pretty cool bike. Here's some 9 speed titanium eye candy.







I cannot make out the manufacturer of this beautiful bike. Would you share the name please?
Ridefreemc is offline  
Old 09-02-19, 05:19 PM
  #65  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Love that Ti bike.
I wish I could get that pinion gearbox on something like this.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contend-ar-2-2020
hefeweizen is offline  
Old 09-02-19, 05:22 PM
  #66  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 780

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by hefeweizen
Love that Ti bike.
I wish I could get that pinion gearbox on something like this.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contend-ar-2-2020
If you could, it would tack $1500 onto the price.
General Geoff is offline  
Old 09-02-19, 05:40 PM
  #67  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
ridefreemc check it out here https://www.nuabikes.com
hefeweizen is offline  
Old 09-03-19, 02:37 PM
  #68  
Senior Member
 
Ridefreemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Western Florida
Posts: 1,581

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thank you.
Ridefreemc is offline  
Old 09-04-19, 05:03 PM
  #69  
Senior Member
 
Archwhorides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 927

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
My Priority 600, which I purchased last Fall as my new winter commuter, is not getting the use that it deserves, and now I have a new e-bike (Budnitz Model E) coming that will reduce it's use further. My S.O. is putting her foot down and says that I must drop one bike, so somewhat sadly I'll be seeking a good home for the Pinion, along with the 650b Suomi studded tires that I purchased for it.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Oscar Wilde
Archwhorides is offline  
Old 09-05-19, 08:37 AM
  #70  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 780

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Archwhorides, shoot me a PM when you're ready to sell. I could make a road trip up to Boston and pick it up in person.
General Geoff is offline  
Likes For General Geoff:
Old 09-05-19, 04:43 PM
  #71  
Senior Member
 
Archwhorides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 927

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
Archwhorides, shoot me a PM when you're ready to sell. I could make a road trip up to Boston and pick it up in person.
This I will do.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Oscar Wilde
Archwhorides is offline  
Old 09-09-19, 10:11 AM
  #72  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Milton, MA
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
My S.O. is putting her foot down and says that I must drop one bike, so somewhat sadly I'll be seeking a good home for the Pinion, along with the 650b Suomi studded tires that I purchased for it.
Wait a minute... and how many pairs of skis does S.O. own?...

Anyway, that Budnitz is a really sweet looking bike!
mkblackwell is offline  
Likes For mkblackwell:
Old 09-09-19, 10:47 AM
  #73  
Senior Member
 
Archwhorides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 927

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by mkblackwell
Wait a minute... and how many pairs of skis does S.O. own?...
LOL, a rational point MKB, but am I prepared to take this logic to the mat?

(BTW, she's talking about getting even more skis....)

Last edited by Archwhorides; 09-09-19 at 03:55 PM.
Archwhorides is offline  
Old 09-10-19, 06:31 PM
  #74  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hilo Hawaii
Posts: 76

Bikes: Landshark, Kestrel Ironman, Giant Defy, Redline 925er, Orbea team Euskatel, AMP B2, Landshark e-Tandem, and, well you get the idea.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 17 Posts
Pinion 600 new ownership update. Smooth as silk shifting, quiet drivetrain. I think some of the inertia during pedaling is absorbed by the belt drive, but only using my butt-powermeter instrument.
650B wheelset a bit heavy and some definite road resistance with the lower pressure wide profile tire patch. Comfortable for commuting, but haven't taken it on my usual Giant Carbon Defy routes yet. I think the gear range is impressive. I keep wondering how much better it would be if the frame was titanium. Then again, the price would be substantially higher. Still quite a bargain at $2200 considering the smotth and sealed Pinion gearbox.
Magnum PI is offline  
Old 09-10-19, 09:42 PM
  #75  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 780

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Thanks for your update and feedback!
General Geoff is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.