Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mopeds on sidewalks

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Mopeds on sidewalks

Old 08-29-18, 11:08 AM
  #1  
scratchpaddy
peddles & breaks
Thread Starter
 
scratchpaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 201

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Prelude, 1988 Basso Arrenacia, 2001 Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 42 Posts
Mopeds on sidewalks

Most of the bikes I see around here ride in the sidewalk instead of the bike line, usually against traffic, without lights, without warning pedestrians, etc. I spend more time walking than biking, and it's really annoying and a little scary, but I just step aside. I don't want to fight battles every single day, trying to change society.

Lately, though, there have been a few idiots driving down the sidewalk on mopeds. That's a step to far for me. This morning when I was out walking the dogs, I saw another idiot buzzing down the sidewalk towards me. It was a road with great bike lanes, very popular with cyclists (the intelligent kind). But he wanted the sidewalk. I did not get out of the way this time. I stood my ground, and told him to get off the sidewalk. He narrowly swerved around me and yelled "**** you!!", then continued a few yards before slamming on the brakes (maybe to get out of range of the dogs). Without turning around, he yelled something about kicking my ass, then motored off, still on the sidewalk.

How am I supposed to deal with people like this? It's already bad enough dealing with bikes (which are actually legal on the sidewalks here, though motorized ones are not) and cars which don't look before turning.

What would you all do?
scratchpaddy is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 11:11 AM
  #2  
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider
 
IvyGodivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: CT
Posts: 153

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 | Trek Farley 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Internally I would be fuming externally I would try to let it go unless the person invaded my personal space. If it's the later then it's on!
IvyGodivy is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 11:14 AM
  #3  
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 13,347

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
I'm sure it's illegal to ride on the sidewalk... get a pic or his plate # and call the cops.

The guy is probably already unhinged though, if he's riding on the sidewalk when there are superior options available. Sidewalks are horrible!
TrojanHorse is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 11:16 AM
  #4  
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider
 
IvyGodivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: CT
Posts: 153

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 | Trek Farley 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
I'm sure it's illegal to ride on the sidewalk... get a pic or his plate # and call the cops.

The guy is probably already unhinged though, if he's riding on the sidewalk when there are superior options available. Sidewalks are horrible!
At least where I live if it's 50cc or below (not sure if there is anything lower than 50cc) you don't need it registered nor need a motorcycle license.
IvyGodivy is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 11:19 AM
  #5  
clengman
Senior Member
 
clengman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 499

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by IvyGodivy View Post
At least where I live if it's 50cc or below (not sure if there is anything lower than 50cc) you don't need it registered nor need a motorcycle license.
Fine. But ride it on the street for pete's sake!
clengman is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 11:22 AM
  #6  
jefnvk
Senior Member
 
jefnvk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Metro Detroit/AA
Posts: 8,214

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3639 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
What kind of "sidewalk" are we talking and what kind of riding? Around the towns near me, it isn't uncommon for mopeds to park on sidewalks, to do so they often must travel down them a little bit as our curbs are being taken up by outdoor dining (in a safe and slow manner, of course)

In any case, I don't see hwo this has anything to do with bikes.
jefnvk is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 11:23 AM
  #7  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 12,656

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6605 Post(s)
Liked 6,334 Times in 3,581 Posts
Originally Posted by scratchpaddy View Post
Most of the bikes I see around here ride in the sidewalk instead of the bike line, usually against traffic, without lights, without warning pedestrians, etc. I spend more time walking than biking, and it's really annoying and a little scary, but I just step aside. I don't want to fight battles every single day, trying to change society.

Lately, though, there have been a few idiots driving down the sidewalk on mopeds. That's a step to far for me. This morning when I was out walking the dogs, I saw another idiot buzzing down the sidewalk towards me. It was a road with great bike lanes, very popular with cyclists (the intelligent kind). But he wanted the sidewalk. I did not get out of the way this time. I stood my ground, and told him to get off the sidewalk. He narrowly swerved around me and yelled "**** you!!", then continued a few yards before slamming on the brakes (maybe to get out of range of the dogs). Without turning around, he yelled something about kicking my ass, then motored off, still on the sidewalk.

How am I supposed to deal with people like this? It's already bad enough dealing with bikes (which are actually legal on the sidewalks here, though motorized ones are not) and cars which don't look before turning.

What would you all do?

Release the hounds!
livedarklions is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 11:26 AM
  #8  
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Metro Indy, IN
Posts: 16,139

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 200 Posts
Call the police?
__________________
Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
JanMM is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 11:31 AM
  #9  
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider
 
IvyGodivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: CT
Posts: 153

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 | Trek Farley 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clengman View Post
Fine. But ride it on the street for pete's sake!
I don't disagree with you. If it really bothers you, well you can clothesline the person but I am not suggesting it...but I understand.
IvyGodivy is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 11:40 AM
  #10  
scratchpaddy
peddles & breaks
Thread Starter
 
scratchpaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 201

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Prelude, 1988 Basso Arrenacia, 2001 Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 42 Posts
My town has conflicting laws on what does and doesn't need registration. A "moped" is 50cc or under, goes 25mph or less, and requires registration and insurance. A "motorized bike" is 48cc or under, goes 20mph or less, and doesn't require anything. Nobody registers or plates anything regardless. Yes, motoring on the sidewalk is illegal. No, the police won't go out of their way to catch people doing it.

I think "let it go" like Ivy first said is the best advice, which I'm happy to do. But, this particular person seems like one of those man-children who never grew out of the "you can't tell me what to do" phase. I've seen him before, and I'm sure I'll see him again. I'm worried he might go out of his way to invade my space on the sidewalk now.

I did file a police report in case things escalate, but the officer said "there's nothing we can do," as I expected.

@jefnvk , it's a narrow sidewalk next to a busy road with good bike lanes. He rides for miles all on the sidewalk, not just coasting up to park somewhere.

@livedarklions , I'm more worried about the dogs than I am about myself, if he decides he wants to run one of us over.
scratchpaddy is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 11:47 AM
  #11  
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider
 
IvyGodivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: CT
Posts: 153

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 | Trek Farley 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scratchpaddy View Post
My town has conflicting laws on what does and doesn't need registration. A "moped" is 50cc or under, goes 25mph or less, and requires registration and insurance. A "motorized bike" is 48cc or under, goes 20mph or less, and doesn't require anything. Nobody registers or plates anything regardless. Yes, motoring on the sidewalk is illegal. No, the police won't go out of their way to catch people doing it.

I think "let it go" like Ivy first said is the best advice, which I'm happy to do. But, this particular person seems like one of those man-children who never grew out of the "you can't tell me what to do" phase. I've seen him before, and I'm sure I'll see him again. I'm worried he might go out of his way to invade my space on the sidewalk now.

I did file a police report in case things escalate, but the officer said "there's nothing we can do," as I expected.

@jefnvk , it's a narrow sidewalk next to a busy road with good bike lanes. He rides for miles all on the sidewalk, not just coasting up to park somewhere.

@livedarklions , I'm more worried about the dogs than I am about myself, if he decides he wants to run one of us over.
If you reach the level of invading space, a head-butt is very effective.
IvyGodivy is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 11:50 AM
  #12  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 14,782

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6839 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by scratchpaddy View Post
What would you all do?
  1. Take video
  2. Report to the police
  3. Post video on youtube

-Tim-
TimothyH is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 11:55 AM
  #13  
General Geoff
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 780

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 64 Posts
Just a matter of time before someone shoves a stick through his front spokes if he keeps riding like an idiot on narrow sidewalks.
General Geoff is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 11:58 AM
  #14  
tagaproject6
Senior Member
 
tagaproject6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,551

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 143 Posts
And when you use your phone to record a video, make sure you are recording horizontally
tagaproject6 is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 12:03 PM
  #15  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 34,134
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15506 Post(s)
Liked 9,495 Times in 4,653 Posts
What legally needs to be registered as a vehicle and what legally are allowed on sidewalks can be two separate issues completely. In Philly, bikes do not have to be registered. In many places, they are not permitted on sidewalks. Neither are any motorized vehicles permitted on sidewalks. Don't confuse issues.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 12:22 PM
  #16  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 12,656

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6605 Post(s)
Liked 6,334 Times in 3,581 Posts
Originally Posted by scratchpaddy View Post
My town has conflicting laws on what does and doesn't need registration. A "moped" is 50cc or under, goes 25mph or less, and requires registration and insurance. A "motorized bike" is 48cc or under, goes 20mph or less, and doesn't require anything. Nobody registers or plates anything regardless. Yes, motoring on the sidewalk is illegal. No, the police won't go out of their way to catch people doing it.

I think "let it go" like Ivy first said is the best advice, which I'm happy to do. But, this particular person seems like one of those man-children who never grew out of the "you can't tell me what to do" phase. I've seen him before, and I'm sure I'll see him again. I'm worried he might go out of his way to invade my space on the sidewalk now.

I did file a police report in case things escalate, but the officer said "there's nothing we can do," as I expected.

@jefnvk , it's a narrow sidewalk next to a busy road with good bike lanes. He rides for miles all on the sidewalk, not just coasting up to park somewhere.

@livedarklions , I'm more worried about the dogs than I am about myself, if he decides he wants to run one of us over.

Sorry, just couldn't resist a Simpsons reference. Definitely wasn't serious.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 01:01 PM
  #17  
scratchpaddy
peddles & breaks
Thread Starter
 
scratchpaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 201

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Prelude, 1988 Basso Arrenacia, 2001 Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
  1. Take video
  2. Report to the police
  3. Post video on youtube

-Tim-
Good idea, thanks. I doubt the police would care about illegal sidewalk motoring even with a video, but it could be a useful tool if it goes further than that.
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
What legally needs to be registered as a vehicle and what legally are allowed on sidewalks can be two separate issues completely. In Philly, bikes do not have to be registered. In many places, they are not permitted on sidewalks. Neither are any motorized vehicles permitted on sidewalks. Don't confuse issues.
Who's confused? I laid it out in my posts. I only brought up registration because TrojanHorse suggested pics of his registration, of which there is none. I've read through the city code. As dumb as it is, sidewalk cycling is legal here. Motoring is not, except for handicap mobility devices. Powered bikes are only allowed on the sidewalk if the motor isn't running.
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Sorry, just couldn't resist a Simpsons reference. Definitely wasn't serious.
I know. I do hope the reason he kept going for a bit before threatening me is because of the dogs. I'm sure he could kick my butt if he wanted. Hopefully the dogs will discourage him. I have a husky and a hound, about 50lb each. Of course they both love people, though. I'm not sure what their reaction would be if I was attacked.
scratchpaddy is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 01:22 PM
  #18  
Jon T
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: West Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,112

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
Just a matter of time before someone shoves a stick through his front spokes if he keeps riding like an idiot on narrow sidewalks.
You beat me to it. I was gonna' say, "Walk softly and carry a big stick" that just happens to fit thru the front wheel.
Jon
Jon T is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 01:48 PM
  #19  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,599

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,331 Times in 839 Posts
None Here.. Motor bikes are out in the traffic lane.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 02:22 PM
  #20  
Caliper
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 990

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk View Post
In any case, I don't see how this has anything to do with bikes.
It's the IC engine version of an e-bike, it should be allowed wherever bikes go right? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moped
Caliper is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 03:14 PM
  #21  
scratchpaddy
peddles & breaks
Thread Starter
 
scratchpaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 201

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Prelude, 1988 Basso Arrenacia, 2001 Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 42 Posts
Sorry, I've always used the word "moped" for any bike with pedals and a gas motor. I see a "moped" is actually a scooter. The ones I see, including this morning, are all bikes equipped with gas motors that make them much faster and heavier than your average sidewalk biker. Not really a "moped," but still not something that should be on the sidewalk.
scratchpaddy is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 03:33 PM
  #22  
Milton Keynes
Senior Member
 
Milton Keynes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 3,674

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2101 Post(s)
Liked 1,419 Times in 776 Posts
Milton Keynes is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 05:14 PM
  #23  
scott967
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Oahu, HI
Posts: 1,334

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 52 Times in 41 Posts
Here, if it has any kind of motor with 2 wheels fore/aft (exempts Segways) and not a motorcycle then it's a moped and not legal on sidewalk. I have seen rarely gas-powered bike on sidewalk, but not enough to care about it. Mopeds do use (illegally) the bike path but doesn't cause an issue for me.

The mayor did use the law to declare Lime dockless electric scooters illegal and threatened to remove any found parked on sidewalk, so Lime pulled them after about 4 days.

scott s.
.
scott967 is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 05:59 PM
  #24  
Troul 
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 5,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1,689 Times in 1,162 Posts
Write your congressman of the issue.
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Old 09-03-18, 08:00 PM
  #25  
Hama
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
  1. Take video
  2. Report to the police
  3. Post video on youtube

-Tim-
+1 good advice also add to social media sites
Hama is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.