Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bar ends: did you feel crowded?

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bar ends: did you feel crowded?

Old 09-23-18, 11:05 PM
  #1  
rseeker
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rseeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Bar ends: did you feel crowded?

Have you added bar ends and did you feel crowded on the bars after? Or was it fine?

I'm talking about the add-on handle protrusions off a flat bar that stick forward kind of like bullhorns.

I'm getting mirrors and I need a place to mount them on my flat bars, so I'm considering bar ends for that.

Like these:


Last edited by rseeker; 09-23-18 at 11:21 PM.
rseeker is offline  
Old 09-23-18, 11:20 PM
  #2  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,572

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6743 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 157 Times in 133 Posts
I have a Brompton . I got Ergon GR3 grips , they include a bar end.. I got used to it..
fietsbob is offline  
Old 09-23-18, 11:24 PM
  #3  
rseeker
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rseeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
I have a Brompton . I got Ergon GR3 grips , they include a bar end.. I got used to it..
What made you want them in the first place?

Do you use the bar end part much?
rseeker is offline  
Old 09-23-18, 11:31 PM
  #4  
Ironfish653
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 928

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 Softride

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
On the narrow XC bars we used to run on 26" MTB's BITD, they were good for the extra leverage, and for us East Coast guys, the '3/4' style was good for fending off branches and saplings when trailbreaking and bushwhacking.
The modern 650mm+ bars don't need the extra leverage, so bar-ends are superfluous. I'm not sure why you'd need to mount a bar-end just so that you could mount a mirror to it. I've seen people who do use them to mount mirrors and lights, but rather than crowding your hands, it feels more like using moose antlers for handlebars.
Ironfish653 is offline  
Old 09-24-18, 05:35 AM
  #5  
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 3,772

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 34 Posts
Love my bar ends.

Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 09-24-18, 06:26 AM
  #6  
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 4,281

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 38 Posts
Put 'em inboard.
BobbyG is offline  
Old 09-24-18, 06:50 AM
  #7  
Colnago Mixte
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Center of Central CA
Posts: 1,685
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very comfy-looking setup. If I ever rode across the USA, that's the setup I would want.

I would wanna add another bar end to the seat tube to help me whenever I pick up the bike. Seems original, and a conversation piece to boot.
Colnago Mixte is offline  
Old 09-24-18, 07:07 AM
  #8  
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,123
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 34 Times in 28 Posts
They do move your grips inward. So this is not a matter of “crowded” but of how wide apart you like your grips. If you think the grips will be too close together, just ise a wider bar. You can test this right now by simply moving your grips in and see how it feels.

However, if you are only doing this for the purpose of installing a mirror, there are more straightforward ways to do so, like ones that mount like bar end plugs in the end of the bar, if you are OK with that possition.
Kapusta is offline  
Old 09-24-18, 07:13 AM
  #9  
livedarklions
Je suis Snap Motomag
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 3,567

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; "Motobecane" Fantom CX

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 360 Times in 203 Posts
I have pretty much the same bar end set up. I attached one of these mirrors to the bend of the left-hand bar end and if you orient the mirror so the long dimension is vertical, it works just like a truck rear view mirror:
https://www.amazon.com/UltraLite-acc...an+bike+mirror

Since I never actually rest my hand on the bend, I don't miss the small amount of the bar end I lose.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 09-24-18, 07:15 AM
  #10  
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,123
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 34 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
Put 'em inboard.
That would be a pretty useless location for what the OP wants them for.

Though your pic does show a better solution for mirror placement than what the OP is considering.

Last edited by Kapusta; 09-24-18 at 12:17 PM.
Kapusta is offline  
Old 09-24-18, 08:41 AM
  #11  
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 21,283

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2415 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 79 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker View Post
Have you added bar ends and did you feel crowded on the bars after? Or was it fine?

I'm talking about the add-on handle protrusions off a flat bar that stick forward kind of like bullhorns.

I'm getting mirrors and I need a place to mount them on my flat bars, so I'm considering bar ends for that.

Like these:
Although I'm a proponent of helmet mirrors over bar mounted mirrors, I have had to mount mirrors on bikes with flat bars because my wife doesn't like helmet mirrors. My solution was to use a Zefal Doobak mirror. It's a nice mirror and inserts into the handlebar. The barends won't interfere with the mount. You can see it on the left hand side in this picture

DSCN1058 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

I actually got the righthand mirror so that the mirror hangs below the handlebar. A lefthand mirror stands above the bar and interferes with the use of the bar ends.
__________________
Stuart Black
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is offline  
Old 09-24-18, 10:06 AM
  #12  
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 4,281

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
... I'm a proponent of helmet mirrors over bar mounted mirrors....
+1 for helmet/glasses mirrors and supplementary bar mirrors.
BobbyG is offline  
Old 09-24-18, 10:19 AM
  #13  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,572

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6743 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 157 Times in 133 Posts
Jra

Originally Posted by rseeker View Post
What made you want them in the first place?

Do you use the bar end part much?
Flattish paddle grip, comfort, bar end integrated, but separately adjustable.

I often just open my palm, across grip and bar end,

so not grabbing , more leaning, on the handlebars..
fietsbob is offline  
Old 09-24-18, 10:22 AM
  #14  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,572

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6743 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 157 Times in 133 Posts
here is their longest bar end model.

fietsbob is offline  
Old 10-09-18, 04:57 AM
  #15  
rseeker
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rseeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653 View Post
On the narrow XC bars we used to run on 26" MTB's BITD, they were good for the extra leverage, and for us East Coast guys, the '3/4' style was good for fending off branches and saplings when trailbreaking and bushwhacking.
The modern 650mm+ bars don't need the extra leverage, so bar-ends are superfluous. I'm not sure why you'd need to mount a bar-end just so that you could mount a mirror to it. I've seen people who do use them to mount mirrors and lights, but rather than crowding your hands, it feels more like using moose antlers for handlebars.
I hadn't thought of that, but fending off branches sounds attractive. One of the ways I use this (cheap but serviceable) bike is bike-and-hike, where I ride for an hour, stash the bike, hike for a couple hours then ride on home. The place I stash it doesn't have a trail, it's in some dense woods and down in a gully ("Local Adventure" biking) where no one will see it. (Security through obscurity.) (Also locked.) Anyway, creating a protected space for the mirror seems like a win.

The other win with barends may be a cheap way to begin trying different fore/aft rider positions without having to use a whole different set of bars yet. Especially for climbing, which I do a lot of since my neighborhood is almost all hills

My bars are 630mm, maybe I'll need something wider after all.

Originally Posted by Ironfish653 View Post
when trailbreaking and bushwhacking
That sounds like good times.

Last edited by rseeker; 10-09-18 at 05:10 AM.
rseeker is offline  
Old 10-09-18, 05:05 AM
  #16  
rseeker
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rseeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
Although I'm a proponent of helmet mirrors over bar mounted mirrors, I have had to mount mirrors on bikes with flat bars because my wife doesn't like helmet mirrors. My solution was to use a Zefal Doobak mirror. It's a nice mirror and inserts into the handlebar. The barends won't interfere with the mount. You can see it on the left hand side in this picture
That looks like a nicely set up bike. I'll check out the Doobak, thanks for mentioning it.

Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
+1 for helmet/glasses mirrors and supplementary bar mirrors.
That's my plan, I'm getting both, Take-A-Look for the helmet and thinking Ortlieb for the bars. I'll try em both and keep what works. (.. and the Ortlieb looks identical to the D+D UltraLite linked above.)

Last edited by rseeker; 10-09-18 at 05:52 AM.
rseeker is offline  
Old 10-09-18, 01:43 PM
  #17  
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Posts: 29,262

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Anything on the handlebar I like to bolt it up and try it out. before I commit myself to something that can't be undone.

I tend to prefer narrower handlebars and almost always shortened them a little. That's when I learned about trying them out before cutting the end of the bar.
__________________
My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.
Retro Grouch is offline  
Old 10-10-18, 07:43 AM
  #18  
Skipjacks
Senior Member
 
Skipjacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Mid Atlantic / USA
Posts: 1,861

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 74 Posts
I have my bar ends inside the brake handles. They work great.

I don't feel cramped, like the OP is looking to avoid. When I had them on the outside the outside of my hands pressed against them and I felt cramped. When them inside my hand is a good inch from the bar end when holding the normal grips. Plus when I'm holding the bar ends I can drop down much quicker to the brake levers without having to pull my hand back and around the bar end.

With the interior positioning I get all the advantages of the bar ends on the outside. It's an alternate hand position and a place to grab and pull for a climb. And they don't have the down sides like your hands feeling cramped inside them of hooking low hanging tree branches/other bikers

What they end up feeling like is holding the shifter hoods on a drop bar. The ergonomics of the grip are a bit different, but that's roughly the same position I'm in when I'm on the bar ends.

Skipjacks is offline  
Old 10-10-18, 07:45 AM
  #19  
MikeyMK
Cycleway town
 
MikeyMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Milton Keynes, England
Posts: 990

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
I've never got on with them. They were all the rage in the late '80s and I tried a few, but the hand position was all wrong. My Merlin came with bullhorns and I couldn't cope.

With flat bars your hands are in the wrong position because they're just too straight. Maybe you can get more straight poles on a pallet but it does nothing for the riding position.

I held my hands out in loose fists with a handlegrip in each, and looked at them. I closed my eyes and let my hands move to the most comfortable position. When i opened my eyes, the grips were in a position none of my bikes had ever had...

What I needed, apparently, were moustache bars, angled slightly downwards. I bough an Ergotec Space Bugle and i absolutely love it, i've used it on my last three dailys - if you like your bars low, you can get the grips lower than your top tube by mounting them upside down. And you can cut a gap out the middle of the curve for an inboard pair.

MikeyMK is offline  
Old 10-10-18, 07:47 AM
  #20  
Skipjacks
Senior Member
 
Skipjacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Mid Atlantic / USA
Posts: 1,861

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK View Post
I've never got on with them. They were all the rage in the late '80s and I tried a few, but the hand position was all wrong. My Merlin came with bullhorns and I couldn't cope.

With flat bars your hands are in the wrong position because they're just too straight. Maybe you can get more straight poles on a pallet but it does nothing for the riding position.

I held my hands out in loose fists with a handlegrip in each, and looked at them. I closed my eyes and let my hands move to the most comfortable position. When i opened my eyes, the grips were in a position none of my bikes had ever had...

What I needed, apparently, were moustache bars, angled slightly downwards. I bough an Ergotec Space Bugle and i absolutely love it, i've used it on my last three dailys - if you like your bars low, you can get the grips lower than your top tube by mounting them upside down. And you can cut a gap out the middle of the curve for an inboard pair.
What computer are you using there? I like the way it displays the information.
Skipjacks is offline  
Old 10-10-18, 05:34 PM
  #21  
MikeyMK
Cycleway town
 
MikeyMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Milton Keynes, England
Posts: 990

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
KT-3 I think it's called (I call it Katy), yeah I like it. It has a lot of parameter settings and has allowed me to customise the bike to behave just how I want it.

Unfortunately it's only rated up to 48v systems (working well with 54.4v max).
My motor is rated 1.5-3.0kw and is currently reaching 2kw. But my new motor is rated at 3.0-8.0kw and i'm gonna have to keep it at 48v for now until I can find a new system.
MikeyMK is offline  
Old 10-10-18, 05:40 PM
  #22  
MikeyMK
Cycleway town
 
MikeyMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Milton Keynes, England
Posts: 990

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
This is probably a better photo for both the screen and bars...

MikeyMK is offline  
Old 10-11-18, 07:07 AM
  #23  
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 4,281

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks View Post
I have my bar ends inside the brake handles. They work great.

I don't feel cramped, like the OP is looking to avoid. When I had them on the outside the outside of my hands pressed against them and I felt cramped. When them inside my hand is a good inch from the bar end when holding the normal grips. Plus when I'm holding the bar ends I can drop down much quicker to the brake levers without having to pull my hand back and around the bar end.

With the interior positioning I get all the advantages of the bar ends on the outside. It's an alternate hand position and a place to grab and pull for a climb. And they don't have the down sides like your hands feeling cramped inside them of hooking low hanging tree branches/other bikers

What they end up feeling like is holding the shifter hoods on a drop bar. The ergonomics of the grip are a bit different, but that's roughly the same position I'm in when I'm on the bar ends.

The clean simplicity of your bar setup is reflected in your prose. My clunky-kludge of a jungle-gym handle-bar reflects my overwrought writing style. Yours looks and sounds like mine do in my head. Nice!
BobbyG is offline  
Old 10-13-18, 07:49 PM
  #24  
Duo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 456

Bikes: classic & vintage road bikes, some newer stuff, tandems, and a few mtb's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is there any chance of a bicycle mirror for a drop bar Road Bike? i am looking for one that allows me to use all the positions on a drop bar handle bar.

thanks.
Duo is offline  
Old 10-14-18, 10:33 AM
  #25  
rseeker
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rseeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Duo View Post
is there any chance of a bicycle mirror for a drop bar Road Bike? i am looking for one that allows me to use all the positions on a drop bar handle bar
That Doobak mentioned here above looks pretty good. It goes in the end of the bar where a plug would usually go. Would something like that work for you?

This other topic should help too: Mirrors for road bikes with drop handlebars end cap or helmet mounted

Last edited by rseeker; 10-14-18 at 10:37 AM.
rseeker is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.