Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   How do you carry your spare sew-ups? (https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/1164512-how-do-you-carry-your-spare-sew-ups.html)

flyingPiggy 01-18-19 12:26 AM

How do you carry your spare sew-ups?
 
First time sew up user and have some questions...

Do you carry spare or sealant(i.e Vittoria Pit Stop)?
If you carry a spare, do you pre-glue it? Do you prep it at all? or carry just as is?
Have you used the Vittoria Pit Stop? How did it work for you?

Thanks in advance for any input on this.

tcarl 01-18-19 12:39 AM

1. I carry both a spare tire and sealant (Flat Attack brand). I use tires with a removable valve core to get the sealant in the tire.
2. I just carry it as is. I rarely get flats (ride clean roads), and use the Flat Attack as my first line of defense if I do get a flat. I also use Tufo gluing tape (it works with Tufo and Continental tires - don't know about any other brand). IF you can get a tire off the Tufo tape there's usually enough "stickyness" to help hold the new tire to get you home. I just take corners cautiously.
3. I've never used Pit Stop but have heard many people say it works well.

50PlusCycling 01-18-19 01:06 AM

I carry a spare under the seat, and a glue in my jersey pocket. I don't bother with sealants or other things. If I get a flat, I pull off the old tire, stick on a new one, and then open the punctured tire when I get home and repair the tube.

JohnDThompson 01-18-19 08:39 AM

A used tire as a spare, with residual glue on the base tape, will hold to the rim well enough if you ride carefully.

You can carry spares folded under the saddle, stuffed into a jersey pocket, or across your shoulders, bandolerê-style.

https://assets.catawiki.nl/assets/20...4f9fcfbbaf.jpg

ljsense 01-18-19 11:09 AM

I just carry Vittoria pitstop and sometimes a CO2 cartridge and a tiny valve for it, in case the pit stop doesn't get it up to sufficient pressure. Pit stop works unless the cut is really bad.

caloso 01-18-19 11:14 AM

Folded up pre-glued tubular in my jersey pocket. No big deal.

PaulRivers 01-18-19 12:54 PM

When I was mountain biking with tubeless we just carried a spare tube with us. If you got a flat, put the tube in.

caloso 01-18-19 01:20 PM

OP is asking about tubulars. Can't put a tube in a tublular.

HTupolev 01-18-19 02:55 PM


Originally Posted by caloso (Post 20754050)
OP is asking about tubulars. Can't put a tube in a tublular.

Sure you can, just gotta bring your sewing gear!

Bill in VA 01-18-19 06:29 PM

I am surprised! Some things never change. I rode tubulars in the 70s and 80s with the spares is a nylon pouch under the seat tied with a toe clip strap. The residual glue would hold for the ride home.

One time I got home, hit the sack and next morning got a call to go for a ride on the Trexlertown Velodrome. At that time all bikes could ride on the velodrome as it was being finished. Yep. Did not re-glue it. It rolled off on a bank and I NEVER, EVER made that mistake again. To me the only downside of tubulars was the re-stitching. I could never get it as tight as it was originally..As for flats, I never got a flat through the tread - only through the sidewall or the not tight enough stitching after a repair.. When I splurged for Clement Seta silk tires I never had a flat. BTW, I did use tire wipers.

79pmooney 01-18-19 06:54 PM

The old school approach I did for 2 decades. Glued the tires on with Tubasti. Never cleaned the rims unless the glue base was hopelessly irregular. I considered clean rims the enemy. Tubasti never set up hard, That could be an issue if the tires get really hot, but in all my riding and racing in New England, never an issue (though it might have been after climbing Mt. Washington but they wouldn't let us ride down),

Flats - peel the old tire off, stick on the new one and baby the bike the first mile or so. Try not to get aggressive until the spare is pulled and a good one put on. (But with a few miles, the stuck on spares were usually very well stuck. The blessing of my less than fastidious glue clean-ups. (I loved that a flat was a 5 minute tire change - always. The flat cause didn't matter, Neither did rain, snow, darkness, inebriation (well that could add a little time) or just about anything else. Very, very comforting if I happened to flat in a shady section of town.)

I glued race tires with Clement Red but I rode more than a few races on Tubasti. Never an issue. I wouldn't dare ride the old Clement after a flat. (Now that I think of it, I did ride home from Bethel, Maine to Boston on my race wheels via North Conway NH. About 200 miles on race silks. Never thought about glue. No flats. Ignorance can be bliss.

And carrying the sewups? Always under the seat with a toestrap. Can put it in a sock but I never did. (Outside of the shoulder carry, is there any other way? And that shoulder carry gets dubious if you pre-glued the tire and care about your jersey.)

Ben

Doge 01-18-19 07:29 PM

Converting tandem to tubular. Been a many year user. On the tandem I have a less than perfect smaller tire I fold up.
I generally carry Stans sealant. I've done Pit-stop too.

Local rides on single - my kid does nothing. Calls an Uber/Lyft - USAC roadside support. He lives where he gets a flat a year - maybe.

I don't do under the seat anymore. I use the water-bottle cage generally. Maybe a jersey pocket. I road coast to coast using a jersey pocket. Toe straps are harder to find.

Doge 01-18-19 07:31 PM


Originally Posted by flyingPiggy (Post 20753311)
First time sew up user and have some questions...

Do you carry spare or sealant(i.e Vittoria Pit Stop)?
If you carry a spare, do you pre-glue it? Do you prep it at all? or carry just as is?
Have you used the Vittoria Pit Stop? How did it work for you?

Thanks in advance for any input on this.

Yes. For SMALL holes it works well. Use Stan's or others for bigger hole assuming you can pump.

woodcraft 01-18-19 09:40 PM

I carry a Tufo Elite Jet tire with glue on the base tape. 160g, fits in the saddle bag.

Small pump, 1 oz of Stan's.

I tried Pit Stop once- similar to CO2, you might need a pump anyway, so why bother & it's big & expensive.

trailangel 01-19-19 06:19 AM


Originally Posted by 79pmooney (Post 20754486)
The old school approach I did for 2 decades. Glued the tires on with Tubasti. Never cleaned the rims unless the glue base was hopelessly irregular. I considered clean rims the enemy. Tubasti never set up hard, That could be an issue if the tires get really hot, but in all my riding and racing in New England, never an issue (though it might have been after climbing Mt. Washington but they wouldn't let us ride down),

Flats - peel the old tire off, stick on the new one and baby the bike the first mile or so. Try not to get aggressive until the spare is pulled and a good one put on. (But with a few miles, the stuck on spares were usually very well stuck. The blessing of my less than fastidious glue clean-ups. (I loved that a flat was a 5 minute tire change - always. The flat cause didn't matter, Neither did rain, snow, darkness, inebriation (well that could add a little time) or just about anything else. Very, very comforting if I happened to flat in a shady section of town.)

I glued race tires with Clement Red but I rode more than a few races on Tubasti. Never an issue. I wouldn't dare ride the old Clement after a flat. (Now that I think of it, I did ride home from Bethel, Maine to Boston on my race wheels via North Conway NH. About 200 miles on race silks. Never thought about glue. No flats. Ignorance can be bliss.

And carrying the sewups? Always under the seat with a toestrap. Can put it in a sock but I never did. (Outside of the shoulder carry, is there any other way? And that shoulder carry gets dubious if you pre-glued the tire and care about your jersey.)

Ben

Ben has the way

Trsnrtr 01-19-19 06:27 AM

I quit riding tubulars about ‘93 or so, but before Cannondale made bicycles, they were a bag and pannier company and they made a nice under seat bag that held two tubulars and had a zippered side pocket. A quick Amazon search yielded some similar products for sale.

Bill in VA 01-19-19 09:39 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 20754848)
I quit riding tubulars about ‘93 or so, but before Cannondale made bicycles, they were a bag and pannier company and they made a nice under seat bag that held two tubulars and had a zippered side pocket. A quick Amazon search yielded some similar products for sale.

I still have mine! It is red. I used it until I got the Brooks saddle. It is now on the UO-8 Peugeot holding the Mafac tool kit and other stuff.

fietsbob 01-19-19 11:11 PM

supported ?
 
A Following car, with more wheels?








...

Kmag1226 01-20-19 06:49 PM

I used to glue a tire on the wheel, let it set for a few days for the glue to set up. Then peel it off, put it in a plastic zip lock back and strap it under the saddle. It will stick just fine on the rim, air it up and ride on. No big deal.

63rickert 01-21-19 05:06 PM

Jandd tubular tire bag. Pretty common around here in late 70s and 80s. Perfect size, looks neat and tidy. Room for CO2 if you must, side pocket with zip on both sides. It may just be because I saw so many when young, but has always looked to me like the right way to carry a spare.

And they still make them. Or maybe they are just still in business and still have old stock to sell. Low price for something so good. Made in USA.

rydabent 01-21-19 06:47 PM

I am amazed anyone uses those kind of antique tires.

CliffordK 01-21-19 07:21 PM

Isn't the proper way to carry them is with toeclip straps.

Somewhere I have some under-seat bags that are designed the right size to fit one tubular tire, and perhaps a few small odds & ends. I think they may have also been tied on with toestraps.

It has been a few years since I've glued tubulars. I did manage to do about 500 flat free miles a year ago. :) But, I never stretched them or pre-glued or anything. The spare would stick to the residual glue. I'd try to remember to pull it and glue it on properly, which was maybe an hour process, no preparing overnight, or over a weekend. I only rolled one unglued tubular, I think. :bike2:

drlogik 01-21-19 08:42 PM

In my sew-up days (1970's) I used to carry a spare in an orphaned gym sock and fastened it under my Brooks saddle with an old toe strap. The sock kept grit and grime from getting on the glue. Yes, I carried an old tire as a spare. It usually had enough Tubasti on it to get me home once I ride easy for the first couple of miles after putting the tire on my bike. When I got home I would pull the old tire off and put my best tire on or patched the one that got a flat.

For your spare, keep the glue clean and fresh. If it is allowed to get hard or loaded with grit it won't adhere well enough to the rim for aggressive riding in my opinion. I only had a sew-up tire ride off my rim once though. I chalked that up to a poor glue job on my part. For what it's worth, it was a new clean rim as I recall..... As previously mentioned in another post, we didn't clean our rims all that often back then. For new rims, I knew racers that would lightly sand the rim surface so that the glue stuck better on a new rim.

I loved riding sew-ups but with the technology we have today with clinchers they almost replicate the ride and the sound of sew-ups. I gave up sew-ups for that reason and also because they are such a pain to keep up. I run Challenge Paris Roubaix's or Strada Bianca's on my bikes. They are "open tubulars" and seem to have all of the advantages of sew-ups with none of the disadvantages. The Challenge tires give me about 95% of the ride quality of my old sew-ups without all of the fuss...and mess of glue. Paired with real latex tubes I can barely tell the difference in ride or sound. They have that "sss..ssss..ssss" sound when pounding on the pedals.

obrentharris 01-21-19 10:03 PM

Am I the only one who puts sealant in his tubulars before getting a puncture?
To compensate for this terribly modern approach I wrap my spare(s) in an old newspaper then strap it in place with a ratty old Binda Extra strap!
Brent

caloso 01-22-19 02:05 PM


Originally Posted by obrentharris (Post 20758675)
Am I the only one who puts sealant in his tubulars before getting a puncture?
To compensate for this terribly modern approach I wrap my spare(s) in an old newspaper then strap it in place with a ratty old Binda Extra strap!
Brent

Nope.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:40 AM.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.