General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Observations on Weight Loss

Reply

Old 03-13-19, 04:42 PM
  #226  
OBoile
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,089
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
Cycling is not the best choice for weight loss. It is an aerobic form of exercise that builds stamina and endurance. Does it burn calories? Absolutely. Is it the most efficient method? Only during the exercise.<br /><br />Anaerobic exercise on the other hand, not only burns calories while you're exercising, but continues to do so long after your exercise session has been completed. Weight training builds muscle and muscle burns fat.<br /><br />Nevertheless, the overwhelming amount of weight loss however (80%~), is dependent on diet. No matter what form of exercise you choose, just always keep that in mind.<br /><br />NOTE: OP didn't say how tall he was, but from what numbers he gave us I'd have to assume he wants to lose more fat.
The post-exercise calorie burn from anaerobic activity isn't very significant.
OBoile is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-19, 05:12 PM
  #227  
AlmostTrick
Yabba-Dabba-Doo!
 
AlmostTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bedrock, IL
Posts: 6,324

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '68 Schwinn Orange Krate, and More!!

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Yesterday, I did 1700 squats (unweighted). I lifted weights. I did 180 ab crunches with 90 pounds of weights. I spent an hour on high resistance on an elliptical.

I spend about 12 hours per week in the gym, and about twice as much as that on my bike during the summer.
My genetics are such that if I'm not very active, I will put on weight. I know lots of people who can do that with a lot less effort than I put in. I was diagnosed with T2D at one point, but I have reversed it so well with diet and exercise that I actually had a doctor indicate that the diagnosis was incorrect. I worked damn hard for that.

Any more moralizing you'd like to do?
Sounds good! But you forgot to tell us how much you can bench.
AlmostTrick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-19, 06:52 PM
  #228  
livedarklions
Michegas Cup Winner
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 2,398

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; "Motobecane" Fantom CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick View Post
Sounds good! But you forgot to tell us how much you can bench.
Bench? I don't bench! I do all my lifts standing on the back of a bucking horse. And eleventy seven pounds.

Seriously, I don't do that much weight lifting. I do twenty reps with each arm lifting a 45 pound dumbbell up over my head three times a week. Weightlifting is about my least favorite part of the routin, sos I can't stands no more.
In fairness, he did ask me about what I did yesterday!
livedarklions is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-19, 02:16 AM
  #229  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,175

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Walking To Date
2019 - 213.91 km
2018 - 328.5 km
2017 - 312.75 km
2016 - 195.05 km
2015 - 181.36 km


Starting to pick up the pace a bit with the walking ... back at uni!

BTW 213.91 km is about 280,721.78 steps. Not too bad for someone who has a back & hip injury ... and who had the flu recently.
Kilometers to Steps | Kyle's Converter
Machka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-19, 07:09 AM
  #230  
livedarklions
Michegas Cup Winner
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 2,398

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; "Motobecane" Fantom CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Originally Posted by OBoile View Post
The post-exercise calorie burn from anaerobic activity isn't very significant.
Not going to spend much time digging up links, but my impression is that recent research indicates that you're right, that the post-exercise burn is mostly myth. I think anaerobic is good for regulating the ratio of muscle to fat, which has real implications for insulin resistance beyond just looking better. Also, it may be good for fighting calcium loss in bones.

The caveat, though, is that if you overdo it or perform the exercises wrong, it's also a really easy way to injure oneself.
livedarklions is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-19, 07:12 AM
  #231  
Lemond1985
Senior Member
 
Lemond1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
I would think that the elevated heart rate that results from a really intense workout the previous day, would cause some calorie burn. I know it really gets my food appetite going.
Lemond1985 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-19, 07:20 AM
  #232  
livedarklions
Michegas Cup Winner
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 2,398

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; "Motobecane" Fantom CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
I would think that the elevated heart rate that results from a really intense workout the previous day, would cause some calorie burn. I know it really gets my food appetite going.

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the scientific state of knowledge on the differences in benefits, so I figure the best strategy for me is to do at least a bit of both of them.

It's still unclear what biological mechanism actually triggers hypertrophy--if they can't answer that yet, I suspect much of the picture is rather incomplete.
livedarklions is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-19, 07:44 AM
  #233  
OBoile
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,089
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Not going to spend much time digging up links, but my impression is that recent research indicates that you're right, that the post-exercise burn is mostly myth. I think anaerobic is good for regulating the ratio of muscle to fat, which has real implications for insulin resistance beyond just looking better. Also, it may be good for fighting calcium loss in bones.

The caveat, though, is that if you overdo it or perform the exercises wrong, it's also a really easy way to injure oneself.
Agreed. In general, I think the typical person (so not someone training to be elite in a specific discipline) tends to do better with a variety of exercise types and intensities. Each offers unique benefits.
OBoile is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-19, 07:49 AM
  #234  
OBoile
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,089
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
I would think that the elevated heart rate that results from a really intense workout the previous day, would cause some calorie burn. I know it really gets my food appetite going.
IIRC it does cause some, but not as much as many people seem to think. I haven't gone back to look, but (again IIRC) if you do, say, a HIIT workout that burns 500 calories, you might burn another 30-50 post exercise. It's something, but not the kind of thing that will make or break your weight loss goals. Some people seem to think you'll burn another 500 calories, but that isn't the case. It does, of course, have other health and fitness benefits.
OBoile is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-19, 08:22 AM
  #235  
KraneXL
 
KraneXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: La-la Land, CA
Posts: 2,642

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
"When you strength train, you’re actually breaking down the muscles in your body. Strength training, be it with weights or bodyweight movements, recruit tons of muscles and cause you to burn significant calories during your workout.

Now, after you finish training, after you go back home and sit on your couch and catch up on Netflix, your body’s metabolism continues to operate at a heightened pace as you rebuild your muscles stronger than before. This can continue for upwards of 36 hours after you finish training." WIN.


How each individual interprets the above excerpt is up to them. But the strategy works well enough for me and many others, and I stick by it. Strength training makes you stronger with the added benefit of changing the way you look. Your diet is key, but a combination of training methods works best.
KraneXL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-19, 09:11 AM
  #236  
NoWhammies
Senior Member
 
NoWhammies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 410

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
What can I say about weight loss? In the summer when I'm riding 4 or 5 times a week, I to lose weight. In the winter months when my activity is less, my weight goes up.

This winter I decided to cut back in your face sugars (like cookies, cake, etc) and cut out beer during the week. I also increased my time in the gym. The benefit seems to be that I've lost the winter weight I gained.

Anyway. Just my $0.05 for the thread. Cheers.
NoWhammies is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-19, 09:48 AM
  #237  
livedarklions
Michegas Cup Winner
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 2,398

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; "Motobecane" Fantom CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
"When you strength train, you’re actually breaking down the muscles in your body. Strength training, be it with weights or bodyweight movements, recruit tons of muscles and cause you to burn significant calories during your workout.

Now, after you finish training, after you go back home and sit on your couch and catch up on Netflix, your body’s metabolism continues to operate at a heightened pace as you rebuild your muscles stronger than before. This can continue for upwards of 36 hours after you finish training." WIN.


How each individual interprets the above excerpt is up to them. But the strategy works well enough for me and many others, and I stick by it. Strength training makes you stronger with the added benefit of changing the way you look. Your diet is key, but a combination of training methods works best.
How I interpret that is that you just posted an excerpt from a sales pitch for something called nerdfitness.com.

We're not disagreeing about mixing it up, but why the heck would I rely on someone trying to sell me a course for my scientific info? A bunch of the stuff in there is just plain awful--aerobic is far more effective at burning calories, and that breakdown of muscle being necessary to encourage muscle strengthening has really been debunked in recent years. Tissue damage correlates with hypertrophy, but it's not a causation relationship. People who strengthen muscle through use sometimes overdo it, causing muscle damage. You will get the hypertrophy with or without the damage.
livedarklions is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-19, 08:26 PM
  #238  
KraneXL
 
KraneXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: La-la Land, CA
Posts: 2,642

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
How I interpret that is that you just posted an excerpt from a sales pitch for something called nerdfitness.com.


We're not disagreeing about mixing it up, but why the heck would I rely on someone trying to sell me a course for my scientific info? A bunch of the stuff in there is just plain awful--aerobic is far more effective at burning calories, and that breakdown of muscle being necessary to encourage muscle strengthening has really been debunked in recent years. Tissue damage correlates with hypertrophy, but it's not a causation relationship. People who strengthen muscle through use sometimes overdo it, causing muscle damage. You will get the hypertrophy with or without the damage.
I've never posted sales pitches. I only post what I've observed in others and/or experience myself and know that it works. The previous post was to support that I don't just make these things up.

These are ideas and methods already established and used by others that I researched and tried myself. And since total strangers regularly ask me about my methods, I will share my findings whenever I can to anyone who is interested. If anyone wants to ask questions about the details I will answer. But nothing otherwise beyond this.

I've also lived long enough to know that there are many things that exist in nature and work, that is not explainable by science. We still have a long way to go, and a lot to learn about how stuff works.
KraneXL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-19, 09:23 PM
  #239  
livedarklions
Michegas Cup Winner
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 2,398

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; "Motobecane" Fantom CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
I've never posted sales pitches. I only post what I've observed in others and/or experience myself and know that it works. The previous post was to support that I don't just make these things up.

These are ideas and methods already established and used by others that I researched and tried myself. And since total strangers regularly ask me about my methods, I will share my findings whenever I can to anyone who is interested. If anyone wants to ask questions about the details I will answer. But nothing otherwise beyond this.

I've also lived long enough to know that there are many things that exist in nature and work, that is not explainable by science. We still have a long way to go, and a lot to learn about how stuff works.
The support you posted was a sales pitch. If you're doing "research", you should probably learn how to spot that. You can pretty well discount entirely the information you find on such sites because pretending they have access to certainty beyond that justified by science is exactly what they're selling. Frankly, it isn't just that you posted a questionable source, it's also that the stuff you quoted verged on total nonsense and contained "facts" that just aren't true.

I too have people ask me for advice based on the results I'm getting, but I know enough to be extremely cautious giving it because what works for me can be an absolute disaster for someone else.
livedarklions is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-19, 01:14 AM
  #240  
Metieval
Senior Member
 
Metieval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,760

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
just an observation on weight loss and cycling, grocery shopping and people..................

I see a lot of older gentlemen riding bicycles with guts, a lot of gut! I also know most of them Ride, and then do the post ride eat/drink celebration reward then go to bed after that evening.

I also see people of all sizes at the grocery store, there is probably a high possibility that they don't ride bicycles. No offense intended so I'll just be blunt. Fat people have trash/processed foods in their grocery carts, and slim people have real food/raw foods in their carts. ( just simple observable facts)

so in my observation, food is 95% of weight, and exercise is for fitness. I'll also venture to suggest that being overweight is eating habits. Hence, the Wed night ride group being mostly over weight Middle aged (and older) men that are not getting skinner but fatter over the years. at this point I am guessing the Wednesday group rides isn't about cycling, but just an excuse to go eat and get tanked.
__________________
Dawes SST AL, Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, Giant Talon 29er, Trek Crossrip Elite,
Metieval is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-19, 05:21 AM
  #241  
livedarklions
Michegas Cup Winner
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 2,398

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; "Motobecane" Fantom CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
just an observation on weight loss and cycling, grocery shopping and people..................

I see a lot of older gentlemen riding bicycles with guts, a lot of gut! I also know most of them Ride, and then do the post ride eat/drink celebration reward then go to bed after that evening.

I also see people of all sizes at the grocery store, there is probably a high possibility that they don't ride bicycles. No offense intended so I'll just be blunt. Fat people have trash/processed foods in their grocery carts, and slim people have real food/raw foods in their carts. ( just simple observable facts)

so in my observation, food is 95% of weight, and exercise is for fitness. I'll also venture to suggest that being overweight is eating habits. Hence, the Wed night ride group being mostly over weight Middle aged (and older) men that are not getting skinner but fatter over the years. at this point I am guessing the Wednesday group rides isn't about cycling, but just an excuse to go eat and get tanked.
Getting fatter over the years is the natural tendency if your food intake is kept relatively constant because a person's metabolism slows down in middle age and beyond. There's really no way you could tell whether or not the big bellied guys you're describing wouldn't have much larger guts if they didn't bike.

I'm thinking that the balance between diet and exercise as weight control varies a lot from person to person, and exercise is really very good for affecting A1C. The other thing is exercise can also allow you to carry a few "extra" pounds in the form of muscle.
I do know people who get fatter buying all sorts of healthy food at the grocery. The stuff rots in their fridge while they really get their meals from take out.
BTW, I suspect the rise of all these food delivery services is about to make the obesity rate even worse. You can now have 3 meals a day delivered.
livedarklions is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-19, 05:33 AM
  #242  
Metieval
Senior Member
 
Metieval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,760

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Getting fatter over the years is the natural tendency if your food intake is kept relatively constant because a person's metabolism slows down in middle age and beyond. There's really no way you could tell whether or not the big bellied guys you're describing wouldn't have much larger guts if they didn't bike.
you didn't hear what I said so let me say it again....

If they drank less beer, and ate less processed eat out food ( fried/french fries etc...) they would be smaller PERIOD!
Bicycling, age, and metabolism is irrelevant.

Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
The other thing is exercise can also allow you to carry a few "extra" pounds in the form of muscle.
I am pretty sure that we all know that "weight" in this thread doesn't refer to weight on a scale but weight as in Fat, pudgy, obese, out-a-shape, beer gut, carb gut,

I guess the first step towards discussing being over weight, might be 'a honest' discussion?

as in yeah anyone can be fat eating 'good foods' if they practice gluttony. I'll argue that most people that have the self control to eat healthy also have the self control to not over indulge.
__________________
Dawes SST AL, Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, Giant Talon 29er, Trek Crossrip Elite,
Metieval is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-19, 05:37 AM
  #243  
Metieval
Senior Member
 
Metieval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,760

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Bottom line, if people want to get serious about losing weight (SIZE) , loosing BFI, and getting ripped/cut.....

It won't be from cycling, it will be from diet/fasting. Diet being Lifestyle changes, not something someone does for a summer to only reverse over winter.
__________________
Dawes SST AL, Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, Giant Talon 29er, Trek Crossrip Elite,
Metieval is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-19, 07:40 AM
  #244  
livedarklions
Michegas Cup Winner
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 2,398

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; "Motobecane" Fantom CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
you didn't hear what I said so let me say it again....

If they drank less beer, and ate less processed eat out food ( fried/french fries etc...) they would be smaller PERIOD!
Bicycling, age, and metabolism is irrelevant.



I am pretty sure that we all know that "weight" in this thread doesn't refer to weight on a scale but weight as in Fat, pudgy, obese, out-a-shape, beer gut, carb gut,

I guess the first step towards discussing being over weight, might be 'a honest' discussion?

as in yeah anyone can be fat eating 'good foods' if they practice gluttony. I'll argue that most people that have the self control to eat healthy also have the self control to not over indulge.

Age is irrelevant? Physical activity is irrelevant? Metabolism is irrelevant? Those are just ignorant ranting points.

I've noticed that whenever someone uses the phrase "honest discussion", it usually accompanies a simplistic trashing of fat people, and someone acting as if they know more than they do.

I'd argue that the big change I've witnessed in my lifetime is not that people tend to get fatter as they get older (always been true), it's that they are much heavier as kids and then have to figure out how to reverse that as adults.

I'm guessing from your post that you are a fairly young person. One of the things you find out as you age is an eating habit that works for you as a young person can become a disaster as your metabolism slows with age. Obviously, the only plausible ways to address this are either reduce the intake or increase the metabolism through exercise. All I'm saying is that the right balance of these factors is going to vary from person to person, and your "it's all food and gluttony" approach is simplistic, and your guesses about the eating habits of people you see are just that--guesses.

People have been doing this self-control rant for decades now, yet the problem just keeps getting more common. It's a whole hell of a lot more complicated than that. My rotting grocery example and your after-workout junk food/beer binge are pretty good examples of one of the things that complicate this--our minds play tricks on us that make us think we are making healthy choices when we are not.

And before you start in on calling me a snowflake or something, you should probably know that I have lost and kept off 140+ pounds without surgery a few years ago (in my early-mid 50s), and have gone from XXL to S. My doctor tells me he has never seen anyone else do that without surgery and he has a lot of patients.
livedarklions is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-19, 10:46 AM
  #245  
Metieval
Senior Member
 
Metieval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,760

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post

People have been doing this self-control rant for decades now, yet the problem just keeps getting more common. It's a whole hell of a lot more complicated than that.
yeah lack of self control is a HUGE problem, and it really isn't complicated either.


It is as simple as stop eating! Just because your brain tells you to eat doesn't mean you need to eat. See self-control. Do some fasting, break the food addiction, and THEN you will UNDERSTAND.

as for heart health 15 minutes of HIIT daily is enough. No reason to bicycle for hours to lose weight......... Just stop eating so much.
__________________
Dawes SST AL, Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, Giant Talon 29er, Trek Crossrip Elite,
Metieval is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-19, 10:53 AM
  #246  
Metieval
Senior Member
 
Metieval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,760

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Age is irrelevant? Physical activity is irrelevant? Metabolism is irrelevant? Those are just ignorant ranting points.
put those terms back into the CONTEXT that they were written in, and you'll understand why they were not relative to the point I made.

I mean if you want to continue to take my post out of context then we don't have an honest discussion and can't continue.
__________________
Dawes SST AL, Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, Giant Talon 29er, Trek Crossrip Elite,
Metieval is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-19, 10:54 AM
  #247  
Lemond1985
Senior Member
 
Lemond1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
yeah lack of self control is a HUGE problem, and it really isn't complicated either.


It is as simple as stop eating! Just because your brain tells you to eat doesn't mean you need to eat. See self-control. Do some fasting, break the food addiction, and THEN you will UNDERSTAND.

as for heart health 15 minutes of HIIT daily is enough. No reason to bicycle for hours to lose weight......... Just stop eating so much.
Sadly, this post would be considered "fat shaming" to some. Oh well, facts can be really hurtful sometimes, but it's one of the pitfalls of engaging in victimology, with regard to people's expectations about how much they think they need to eat, vs. how much they "should" weigh as a result.

Human biology can be so unfair!
Lemond1985 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-19, 11:24 AM
  #248  
Metieval
Senior Member
 
Metieval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,760

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
Sadly, this post would be considered "fat shaming" to some. Oh well, facts can be really hurtful sometimes, but it's one of the pitfalls of engaging in victimology, with regard to people's expectations about how much they think they need to eat, vs. how much they "should" weigh as a result.

Human biology can be so unfair!
My post truly isn't meant as fat shaming.

It is just an approach that needs to be hammered in my opinion. Serving size, meals, etc..... all needs to be tossed and forgotten. However , we live in a world that eats for social reasons..... talk about screwed up.

3 meals a day
try 1 meal, or 1 meal every 3 days.

the worse advice out there is telling people to eat 5 meals a day. we are not cows, we don't graze. those who do graze often look like the cattle that graze... they fatten up. We are hunter/gathers and our bodies are designed to eat /store/fast
__________________
Dawes SST AL, Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, Giant Talon 29er, Trek Crossrip Elite,
Metieval is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-19, 11:27 AM
  #249  
Lemond1985
Senior Member
 
Lemond1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
And those who follow the USDA "Food Pyramid" often wind up with a physique that somewhat resembles a pyramid. Hey, you're preachin' to the choir here.

As someone said earlier in this thread "The human body is not a perpetual motion machine". Too hateful a comment, I guess.
Lemond1985 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-19, 11:34 AM
  #250  
Metieval
Senior Member
 
Metieval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,760

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
well I can't control time, getting old is inevitable and sucks

but I can control sun exposure, eye protection, hearing protection, and what I eat, when I eat & how much I eat among many other things...... in my life
__________________
Dawes SST AL, Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, Giant Talon 29er, Trek Crossrip Elite,
Metieval is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service