Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   1-speed chain on 10 speed chainring? (https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/1168292-1-speed-chain-10-speed-chainring.html)

tellmethetruth 03-13-19 11:50 PM

1-speed chain on 10 speed chainring?
 
I'm converting my road bike to a single speed.

Will a 1-speed chain work on a 10 speed chainring/ and rear cog (11T)?

AlmostTrick 03-14-19 05:09 AM


Originally Posted by tellmethetruth (Post 20837089)
I'm converting my road bike to a single speed.

Will a 1-speed chain work on a 10 speed chainring/ and rear cog (11T)?

Yes, as long as you have only one cog in back, and not the entire cassette.

fietsbob 03-14-19 09:13 AM

You talking 1/8" or 3/32"...

Iride01 03-14-19 04:17 PM

If you already have the chain and other parts, then try it out and see first hand. If you have to buy the parts, then it'd make more sense to buy the correct parts.

tellmethetruth 03-14-19 08:04 PM


Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 20837440)
You talking 1/8" or 3/32"...

Thanks for your reply,

[1] KMC Z610HX 1-Speed Chain

[2] KMC Z410 Bicycle Chain, 1-Speed, 1/2-Inch x 1/8-Inch, 112L

Retro Grouch 03-15-19 12:14 PM

What do your rear dropouts look like?

Unless they have a horizontal slot that the rear hub mounts to you won't be able to tension your chain. Now that you mention it, define for me what 10-speed means to you. 10-speed has come to have two very different meanings regarding bicycles and it makes a difference in the correct answer to your question.

LesterOfPuppets 03-15-19 12:19 PM


Originally Posted by tellmethetruth (Post 20837089)
I'm converting my road bike to a single speed.

Will a 1-speed chain work on a 10 speed chainring/ and rear cog (11T)?

It might work OK. You'll have to keep your chain tension pretty tight and your chainline exactly straight, even then there's still a chance you'll drop the chain when riding over rough stuff.

Fastfingaz 03-15-19 03:00 PM

That should be pretty simple,,,,, choose the speed you want or like, then duct tape both shifters so you can't shift them even if you wanted to,,,,, there ,,,,,only one speed,,,,,,

tellmethetruth 03-15-19 03:49 PM


Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 20839236)
What do your rear dropouts look like?

Unless they have a horizontal slot that the rear hub mounts to you won't be able to tension your chain. Now that you mention it, define for me what 10-speed means to you. 10-speed has come to have two very different meanings regarding bicycles and it makes a difference in the correct answer to your question.

Drop outs are diagonal.

No idea what 10-speed is, other than my old chain and current chain-ring are qualified as "10-speed".
Is the 1-chain ineffective on single speed road bikes because it sits higher up on the cogs, making it prone to fall off?

LesterOfPuppets 03-15-19 03:54 PM


Originally Posted by tellmethetruth (Post 20839589)
Drop outs are diagonal.

No idea what 10-speed is, other than my old chain and current chain-ring are qualified as "10-speed".
Is the 1-chain ineffective on single speed road bikes because it sits higher up on the cogs, making it prone to fall off?

Once upon a time 10-speed meant 2x5. Nowadays it can also mean 10sp cassette in back - 1x10, 2x10, 3x10.

Sounds like it's 10 in the back in your case, since I don't believe any olde 2x5 setups ever came with an 11T small cog.

Leinster 03-16-19 01:39 AM


Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 20839236)
What do your rear dropouts look like?

Unless they have a horizontal slot that the rear hub mounts to you won't be able to tension your chain. Now that you mention it, define for me what 10-speed means to you. 10-speed has come to have two very different meanings regarding bicycles and it makes a difference in the correct answer to your question.

With a bit of trial and error with different ring and sprocket sizes, itís possible to find a gear close enough to what you want that wonít require tensioning.

That works better with an old wider chain, though; narrow 10spd chains donít stand up to repeatedly taking links on and off to experiment.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:49 PM.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.