General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

52T vs 70T (pic)

Old 03-17-19, 03:56 PM
  #1  
tellmethetruth
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
52T vs 70T (pic)



In case anyone was interested to know the difference. 70t measures at around 29-30 cm's in diameter (with a few cm of clearance of chainstay).
More pics of full build coming soon.

Last edited by tellmethetruth; 03-17-19 at 04:03 PM.
tellmethetruth is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 04:25 PM
  #2  
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels
 
sdmc530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,991

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 50 Posts
hurts looking at it
sdmc530 is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 04:26 PM
  #3  
Marcus_Ti 
Frozen Solid.
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 4,672

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1923 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 36 Posts
Be sure to drive around speed bumps.
Marcus_Ti is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 04:29 PM
  #4  
badger1
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 3,968
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by tellmethetruth View Post


In case anyone was interested to know the difference. 70t measures at around 29-30 cm's in diameter (with a few cm of clearance of chainstay).
More pics of full build coming soon.
... and your point is?
badger1 is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 05:07 PM
  #5  
livedarklions
Je suis Snap Motomag
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 3,841

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; "Motobecane" Fantom CX

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
... and your point is?
Guess you missed the "in case anyone is interested" caveat.

It's an unusual thing. I will be interested in seeing how it turns out.

We'll put you down for "not".
livedarklions is online now  
Old 03-17-19, 05:10 PM
  #6  
KLiNCK
Optically Corrected
 
KLiNCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 534

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
KLiNCK is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 05:17 PM
  #7  
PickleRick
Member
 
PickleRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Finger Lakes NY
Posts: 48

Bikes: Felt Z4, Trek Remedy 9.8, Pivot 429SL Di2, Salsa Warbird Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Good Lord - Is that a chainring in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

I will second the "and your point is?"query. That thing is huge but no context for its freakish size is provided. Is this a real "thing" or is it for circus bikes,Bonneville Salt Flat bike????
PickleRick is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 05:20 PM
  #8  
tellmethetruth
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
... and your point is?
someone's jealous their chainring is underwhelming jk ♥
tellmethetruth is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 05:22 PM
  #9  
tellmethetruth
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PickleRick View Post
Good Lord - Is that a chainring in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

I will second the "and your point is?"query. That thing is huge but no context for its freakish size is provided. Is this a real "thing" or is it for circus bikes,Bonneville Salt Flat bike????
I'll post a video riding it when it's built
tellmethetruth is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 06:33 PM
  #10  
badger1
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 3,968
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by tellmethetruth View Post
someone's jealous their chainring is underwhelming jk ♥
Now that's a good-humoured response. Kudos (srsly).

Carry on!
badger1 is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 06:37 PM
  #11  
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command
 
Doctor Morbius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The adult video section
Posts: 3,333

Bikes: Endurance Road, Road, DS Hybrid, Hybrid, Sport MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
That's way yuge! Is the bike going to be a fixie?
Doctor Morbius is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 06:41 PM
  #12  
Troul
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 1,549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
1x & not a triple front crankset? C'monnn...
Troul is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 06:42 PM
  #13  
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Posts: 6,739

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3585 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius View Post
That's way yuge! Is the bike going to be a fixie?
Well, the OP has another thread looking for an 11T singlespeed cog, so apparently we can look forward to some 70-11 action. Or was we call it here in the real world, "nonsense."
__________________
DrIsotope is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 06:42 PM
  #14  
tellmethetruth
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius View Post
That's way yuge! Is the bike going to be a fixie?
Single-speed!
tellmethetruth is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 06:45 PM
  #15  
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 17,562

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tellmethetruth View Post
I'll post a video riding it when it's built
How long do we have to wait? It sounds interesting.
2manybikes is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 06:45 PM
  #16  
tellmethetruth
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
Well, the OP has another thread looking for an 11T singlespeed cog, so apparently we can look forward to some 70-11 action. Or was we call it here in the real world, "nonsense."
Hey it's the guy who can't climb mild gradients with a 38t-11t. Even 48t-11t must be nonsense for you.
tellmethetruth is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 06:46 PM
  #17  
tellmethetruth
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes View Post
How long do we have to wait? It sounds interesting.
Should be 1-2 weeks. Waiting for parts to arrive.
tellmethetruth is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 06:51 PM
  #18  
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Posts: 6,739

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3585 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by tellmethetruth View Post
Hey it's the guy who can't climb mild gradients with a 38t-11t. Even 48t-11t must be nonsense for you.
Hey look guys, a troll who genuinely doesn't know how gears work, evidenced both by the post here, and the fact that a 70T chainring was purchased.

But I'm drawn to abject inanity like a moth to a flame, so by all means, carry on.
__________________
DrIsotope is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 07:01 PM
  #19  
tellmethetruth
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
Hey look guys, a troll who genuinely doesn't know how gears work, evidenced both by the post here, and the fact that a 70T chainring was purchased.

But I'm drawn to abject inanity like a moth to a flame, so by all means, carry on.
You must be one of those who knows everything about cycling, but has never cycled a day in his life. Evidence is clear with knowledge of gears and mild gradients.

And so what will you say when you see me hitting 50 mph? Let's make a bet. If I hit 50 mph on a flat, you have to delete your account.

Lol what do you think will happen with a 70-11? I won't be able to move? Do you assume every cyclist is 5'5", 100 ibs and can't push big gears? How do you know I'm not 6'5", 245 ibs, 9% b.f.?

Yea multiple manufacturers are all in on the scam selling 70t chainrings haha! They exist for a reason, people who can push big gears...buy big gears.

Last edited by tellmethetruth; 03-17-19 at 07:05 PM.
tellmethetruth is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 07:11 PM
  #20  
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Posts: 6,739

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3585 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 115 Posts
I make my assumption based on a thing I call "reality." If you are as you now claim 6'5", weighing 245lbs, hitting 50mph on flat ground would require nothing more than 3,000W. If you're going to make a nonsensical claim, at least make it plausible.

I could hit 50mph on a flat with a compact double, provided the road is long enough and the tractor-trailer I'm drafting takes off slowly enough. But alone, out in the wind? It's physically impossible. But keep going. This is an excellent antidote to a quiet Sunday afternoon.
__________________
DrIsotope is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 07:20 PM
  #21  
tellmethetruth
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
I make my assumption based on a thing I call "reality." If you are as you now claim 6'5", weighing 245lbs, hitting 50mph on flat ground would require nothing more than 3,000W. If you're going to make a nonsensical claim, at least make it plausible.

I could hit 50mph on a flat with a compact double, provided the road is long enough and the tractor-trailer I'm drafting takes off slowly enough. But alone, out in the wind? It's physically impossible. But keep going. This is an excellent antidote to a quiet Sunday afternoon.
Your "reality" is clearly not everyone else's reality. Aka, your inadequacy only reflects on others via all-knowing over confident narcissism... "It's physically impossible". What a bold statement from someone who can't push 38-11 up a mild gradient.
You didn't mention anything regarding my bet? What are you hesitant about? Aren't you confident in your super modest knowledge of cycling and gearing?
tellmethetruth is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 07:31 PM
  #22  
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Posts: 6,739

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3585 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 115 Posts
The only thing I'm 100% confident of right now is that you don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about. Pushing a 70-11 gear to 50mph on flat ground without assistance is physically impossible. In his prime, Chris Hoy could hit close to 2,500W for a few seconds. Am I to understand that you are now claiming to produce more power than 11-time World Champion and 6-time Olympic Champion Sir Chris Hoy?

Because if so, that's just fantastic. When you do your solo 50mph speed run with your 70-11 singlespeed, just remember-- Strava or it didn't happen.

Oh, and I almost forgot-- for an imaginary rider (and let's say they are modestly sized, 5'7" and 145lbs) to take a 38-11 gear up a 4% grade at 70rpm, they would have to sustain only 6.7W/kg. So just slightly stronger than Chris Froome.
__________________

Last edited by DrIsotope; 03-17-19 at 07:36 PM.
DrIsotope is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 07:35 PM
  #23  
tellmethetruth
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
The only thing I'm 100% confident of right now is that you don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about. Pushing a 70-11 gear to 50mph on flat ground without assistance is physically impossible. In his prime, Chris Hoy could hit close to 2,500W for a few seconds. Am I to understand that you are now claiming to produce more power than 11-time World Champion and 6-time Olympic Champion Sir Chris Hoy?

Because if so, that's just fantastic. When you do your solo 50mph speed run with your 70-11 singlespeed, just remember-- Strava or it didn't happen.
What a joy it will be to crush a narcissist's ego...who again ...can't push a 38-11 up a mild gradient!!
Just keep your cursor ready on that delete button
tellmethetruth is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 07:47 PM
  #24  
Shimagnolo
Senior Member
 
Shimagnolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zang's Spur, CO
Posts: 8,757
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 41 Posts

Meh. 70T is for wimps.
Shimagnolo is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 07:51 PM
  #25  
tellmethetruth
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post

Meh. 70T is for wimps.
haahhahahah that's awesome. Let's hope our friend drisotope doesn't see this in case of a brain aneurysm
tellmethetruth is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.