Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   Good Chain Lube??? Mines WD40. :P (https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/1170532-good-chain-lube-mines-wd40-p.html)

allout1 04-14-19 12:39 AM

Good Chain Lube??? Mines WD40. :P
 
Haha, I use WD40. I was looking at Finish Line's Dry stuff. Not sure though. What's good and price conscious?

The WD40 drips all over the rim and frame when things get spinning. Then I have to clean those up afterwards. This happens even if I towel the chain down.

I want something that's not making a splatter mess all over my cleaning work on the bike. LOL

ericzamora 04-14-19 02:25 AM

Check with your favorite LBS, and buy from them.

eric/fresno, ca.

rydabent 04-14-19 05:01 AM

Again WD-40 is NOT a lube. Besides that is it making a mess for you. Just use plain motor oil, Mobil 1 is probably the best.

rayooo 04-14-19 05:50 AM

I've been using the Finish Line Dry stuff for awhile now. I only use WD40 for cleaning chain prior to re-lubing with the Finish Line- it's definitely less messy than some, seems to work fine.

travbikeman 04-14-19 06:11 AM

I've been a fan of this:

Eco Sheep Oil

You can get them on Amazon for around $8. Heck, you can even email them to see if they can ship you a free can to try.

I prefer the mountain sheep oil since I ride many gravel trails:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b67461be6b.jpg

Koyote 04-14-19 06:47 AM

You can spray WD-40 all over your bike, if you want to. But it's not a lubricant.

FBOATSB 04-14-19 07:07 AM

You can't make such blanket statements about WD-40 any more, positive or negative. The brand markets dozens of specific use products in addition to the original multi-purpose spray. Including several specific cycling chain lubes. It's all "WD-40".

u235 04-14-19 07:42 AM

A chain lube thread. Can't wait to hear all of the new developments and advancements since the last one a few days ago. There should be new sub forum dedicated to chain lube.

JanMM 04-14-19 07:49 AM

Well, of course the original WD40 has some lubricant in the formulation, just not much. Better than nothing for some bike applications.
Their line of cycling products - none of which I have tried: https://www.wd40bike.com/

I've used ProGold ProLink Chain Lube for more than a few years.

FiftySix 04-14-19 07:55 AM

I've been using my old supply of Motul motorcycle chain lube. It's super tacky and doesn't sling off.

Are bicycle specific chain lubes tacky as well?

eja_ bottecchia 04-14-19 07:55 AM


Originally Posted by u235 (Post 20883956)
A chain lube thread. Can't wait to hear all of the new developments and advancements since the last one a few days ago. There should be new sub forum dedicated to chain lube.

The OP is a newbie, a padawan not yet wise to the Ways of the Lube. Give him a break, he will soon learn. :D

On an unrelated note, I am watching the 2019 Paris-Roubaix race.

Phill Ligget, without Paul Sherwen sounds sad. Those two were the Dynamic Duo of cycling broadcasting.

wolfchild 04-14-19 07:58 AM

I use a mixture of WD 40 and motor oil...or 3-in-1 oil.

Pilot321 04-14-19 08:05 AM

As others have said WD-40 is NOT a lubricant. WD = Water Displacement.

I use Tri-Flow on my chain, and Boeshield T-9 everywhere else. It is a "waterproof" lubricant. So I assume it has properties of WD-40, but also with a lubricant. Best of both worlds.

Shimagnolo 04-14-19 08:23 AM

And again: WD40 is a brand, not just one product (the penetrating oil).
And it's products include actual lubes made for bicycles: https://www.wd40bike.com/products/

Brocephus 04-14-19 08:23 AM


Originally Posted by FBOATSB (Post 20883923)
You can't make such blanket statements about WD-40 any more, positive or negative. The brand markets dozens of specific use products in addition to the original multi-purpose spray. Including several specific cycling chain lubes. It's all "WD-40".

Obviously, when the term 'WD40" as used in the context it's being used here, it refers to the original and most common WD40, not the numerous newer formulas, and obviously, not the ones labelled and designed specifically for bicycle chain applications.
Anyway, the bicycle lube market is as big a sham as the gun lube market (and their forums are just as polluted with redundant lube threads, as the bike forums are.) The important thing, with bikes and firearms, is to HAVE some form of an actual lubricant (which, of course, excludes WD40's Original Recipe).
Exactly which one is far less critical, and highly subjective. The tiny $10 bottles of liquid unobtanium from your local bike shop are likely good stuff, but.........they're $10+ bucks, and still not significantly better than most anything else.
For the money, (as mentioned above), it's hard to beat something like Mobil1 automotive oil ( coincidentally, also highly popular with firearm enthusiasts). But in my experience, it tends to sling off pretty badly onto the rim and spokes (though I've yet to try a higher viscosity).
I'm currently still running on a couple old bottles of Pro-Link, but I've also used Tri-Flo, Boeshield, Pedros, Dupont teflon multi-purpose, White Lightining and other dry lubes, etc.etc.etc.etc.
Though I still read these threads, out of some irrepressible streak of masochism, I've grown weary of the endless search for the Holy Grail of bike (and firearm) lubricants, and am content to use pretty much anything that's handy......and cheap..

fietsbob 04-14-19 08:33 AM

As others have said ...
 
But , by now the big company wd 40 Corporation. has a broad offering of different products,


https://www.wd40bike.com/products/ including a bike chain lube..

and owns several other companies in addition
such as Carpet Fresh & Lava bar hand soap. for mechanic's grime..





...

cyccommute 04-14-19 08:40 AM


Originally Posted by rydabent (Post 20883820)
Again WD-40 is NOT a lube. Besides that is it making a mess for you. Just use plain motor oil, Mobil 1 is probably the best.

The SDS for WD-40 would disagree with you. It contains more than 35% “Petroleum Base Oil” which is mineral oil. That’s a lubricant. Not a great one but a lubricant never the less. On the other hand, it’s problems are no words than “plain motor oil”.


Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 20883960)
Well, of course the original WD40 has some lubricant in the formulation, just not much. Better than nothing for some bike applications.
Their line of cycling products - none of which I have tried: https://www.wd40bike.com/

I've used ProGold ProLink Chain Lube for more than a few years.

35% is not “some”. That’s a fair amount. It’s even more when considering that once the other 65% evaporates, the 35% becomes 100%. It’s not very viscous so it flow readily but it’s probably no worse then Triflow.


Originally Posted by Pilot321 (Post 20883982)
As others have said WD-40 is NOT a lubricant. WD = Water Displacement

Chemically, I would take that “water displacement” with a large grain of salt. Every component of the mixture is hydrophobic. Spraying it on to something that is wet will result in a layer of oil on top of the water. There are lots and lots of other chemicals that would do a far better job of “displacing water”.

LesG 04-14-19 09:06 AM


Originally Posted by Brocephus (Post 20884001)
For the money, (as mentioned above), it's hard to beat something like Mobil1 automotive oil ( coincidentally, also highly popular with firearm enthusiasts)...

Not that it really matters but did you mean to say Mobil1 transmission fluid? I've never used it for bicycles or firearms (nor will I) but, as you said, it is popular with firearms folks.

79pmooney 04-14-19 09:06 AM


Originally Posted by Shimagnolo (Post 20884000)
And again: WD40 is a brand, not just one product (the penetrating oil).
And it's products include actual lubes made for bicycles: https://www.wd40bike.com/products/

And Crescent is a tool manufacturer, not just one type of adjustable wrench, but everyone knows what is meant by a "crescent wrench".

_ForceD_ 04-14-19 09:12 AM

Hereís one. Itís not great but is much better than original WD-40, and an actual lube.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...76e6cf438f.jpg

phughes 04-14-19 09:33 AM


Originally Posted by FiftySix (Post 20883970)
I've been using my old supply of Motul motorcycle chain lube. It's super tacky and doesn't sling off.

Are bicycle specific chain lubes tacky as well?

No, not like Motul motorcycle chain lube. I have some in the garage, but I'd never use it on the bicycle, too tacky and dirt would accumulate too much. It is necessary for motorcycles due to the speed the chain moves, but overkill for bicycles.

Brocephus 04-14-19 09:45 AM


Originally Posted by LesG (Post 20884047)
Not that it really matters but did you mean to say Mobil1 transmission fluid? I've never used it for bicycles or firearms (nor will I) but, as you said, it is popular with firearms folks.

As the old expression goes, "If you hear hoofbeats, think horses.... not zebras!" :D (especially given that i referenced using a thicker viscosity).
So, yeah, i was talking about plain (synthetic) motor oil, not transmission fluid. But, both of them are popular as gun lubricants, and presumably would be as effective on bike chains.
Not trying to be argumentative, but I'm curious why you felt compelled to inject the, "nor will I".

Brocephus 04-14-19 09:50 AM


Originally Posted by phughes (Post 20884085)
No, not like Motul motorcycle chain lube. I have some in the garage, but I'd never use it on the bicycle, too tacky and dirt would accumulate too much. It is necessary for motorcycles due to the speed the chain moves, but overkill for bicycles.

Yep, I've thought the same thing. I have a can of some highly popular motorcycle chain lube, that i hung on to after selling my motorcycle, intending to try it out as a bicycle chain lube, but then recalled how dry,thick and tacky it got on my Honda XR, and had second thoughts.

berner 04-14-19 09:58 AM

It may well be that one chain oil is better than others but the main thing, such as in brushing your teeth, the important part of the process is to do it frequently.

FiftySix 04-14-19 02:15 PM


Originally Posted by phughes (Post 20884085)
No, not like Motul motorcycle chain lube. I have some in the garage, but I'd never use it on the bicycle, too tacky and dirt would accumulate too much. It is necessary for motorcycles due to the speed the chain moves, but overkill for bicycles.

Good to know. Thanks. :)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:28 AM.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.