Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

NYC Police Officer Tickets Me For Running Red Light

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

NYC Police Officer Tickets Me For Running Red Light

Old 02-03-20, 01:26 PM
  #51  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 36,011
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16570 Post(s)
Liked 11,535 Times in 5,551 Posts
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-03-20, 02:42 PM
  #52  
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels
 
sdmc530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 3,124

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile View Post
Keep in mind that paying tickets is completely optional. To avoid it, all you have to do is obey the law.

Very correct!!
sdmc530 is offline  
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 02-03-20, 05:07 PM
  #53  
curbtender
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 7,881

Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, MB3

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked 1,541 Times in 805 Posts
I ride with a few retired cops. We discuss these issues quite often. Their attitude was pretty much the tree in the woods scenario. If they didn't see you do it, it's not a crime. My favorite was when one of them got pulled over at the veterans home in Yountville by a security guard. He ran a stop in the parking lot and the guy came unglued on him. I laughed, and told him I would be a witness at his hearing. He now regrets me being anywhere near that one.
curbtender is offline  
Likes For curbtender:
Old 02-04-20, 09:32 AM
  #54  
Razorrock
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Posts: 121

Bikes: Litespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Oregon apparently passed a new rolling stop law.

https://www.kptv.com/news/new-oregon...3113d7bee.html

I think Idaho has the "Idaho Stop", and apparently has had it for some time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho_stop

Perhaps an option is to write to one's local legislator about different safety requirements for bikes and cars. Of course, realizing that bikes still must act in a safe and appropriate manner. And, many of these crackdowns are done in response to bad actors, or accidents in which the cyclist is at fault.
Arkansas passed a new bike law last summer. Cyclist can treat a stop light like a stop sign and stop sign as a yield sign.
Razorrock is offline  
Old 02-04-20, 09:36 AM
  #55  
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Posts: 8,553

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4904 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 956 Posts
Originally Posted by Razorrock View Post
Arkansas passed a new bike law last summer. Cyclist can treat a stop light like a stop sign and stop sign as a yield sign.
Meanwhile, the biggest effort California is making is to allow cyclists to legally proceed straight from a dedicated right turn lane. Which is something I do every single day I'm on the road, because I'm in favor of not getting run over by a car.

Genuinely not surprised by the sheer volume of "letter of the law" folks in this thread. They're always worth a chuckle.
__________________
DrIsotope is offline  
Old 02-04-20, 11:17 AM
  #56  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 29,435

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,173 Times in 789 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
Genuinely not surprised by the sheer volume of "letter of the law" folks in this thread. They're always worth a chuckle.
The sanctimony of the would-be McGruffs also is good for a laff.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 02-04-20, 11:47 AM
  #57  
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Posts: 12,316

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 410 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
Genuinely not surprised by the sheer volume of "letter of the law" folks in this thread. They're always worth a chuckle.
You can't expect to have it both ways. We want car drivers to follow the laws. But many cyclists want to make up their own rules as they go. The trouble is, drivers don't know and can't predict what made-up rules the cyclist might be following. If a car driver decides to make up their own rule at the same time a cyclist does the same, BAD things can happen.
BlazingPedals is offline  
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 02-04-20, 01:19 PM
  #58  
burnthesheep
Newbie racer
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 3,374

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 954 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
You can't expect to have it both ways. We want car drivers to follow the laws. But many cyclists want to make up their own rules as they go. The trouble is, drivers don't know and can't predict what made-up rules the cyclist might be following. If a car driver decides to make up their own rule at the same time a cyclist does the same, BAD things can happen.
They don't, even cops roll red lights and stop signs. What's new about that?

Around here cops are 100% in tune to speeders and drunks. Almost zero focus on reds and the other petty stuff. The intersections with problems they plant a red light camera there. They do ticket, but it's gotta be pretty bad. They're also really tolerant of a clipped-in half mph roll for a turn. They're not THAT stupid here to know how a bike works, or a motorcycle. I bet they do "get it" more since motorcycles are really common here and they have the "red light cycle" law for stops.
burnthesheep is offline  
Old 02-04-20, 02:46 PM
  #59  
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Posts: 8,553

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4904 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 956 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
You can't expect to have it both ways. We want car drivers to follow the laws. But many cyclists want to make up their own rules as they go. The trouble is, drivers don't know and can't predict what made-up rules the cyclist might be following. If a car driver decides to make up their own rule at the same time a cyclist does the same, BAD things can happen.

If you think that you are in some kind of symbiotic relationship with drivers, you're deluding yourself. People behind the wheel do not regard bicycles as anything more than an impediment, without regard to how the person operating the bicycle is behaving. I don't expect anything from drivers, because they will inevitably disappoint. I've been cut off-- badly-- by cars with bike racks on them, with bikes actually on the racks. The mindset of a cyclist and that of a driver are often diametrically opposed. I don't give a tinker's damn what anyone behind the wheel thinks of me, so long as they do not bring their vehicle into contact with mine. Traffic laws are in place because people can and will behave in such a way as to endanger the lives of others. No matter what level of scofflaw I achieve, I put no one other than myself at risk-- my mode of transportation is not a ton and a half of steel that operates on captive explosions . That's just the point-- cycling on an open road is a calculated risk, just as is jumping a light or rolling a stop sign.

A cop ticketing a cyclist for rolling a stop sign is absurd, because it implies that financial burden = individual safety; you get a ticket, you'll be "safer in the future." It's hogwash. People operate cars distracted, driving at whatever speeds they see fit, and are willing to endanger the lives of others in order to get home a little sooner. I ride a bike for purely selfish reasons-- I'm spending time alone, doing something that is beneficial to no one but myself. So when I ride, I follow my own set of rules, and the written rules be damned. Because those rules set forth by the city, state, county, or whomever are not interested with my safety as a cyclist, full stop. I am full in my faculties, and know how to behave in such a manner to maintain my safety. I don't need to come to a full and complete stop at every single intersection, because I can judge every single intersection as it should be treated, and proceed safely with anything from a complete stop to not even slowing down. Safety is not guaranteed by any posted sign or written law. It is maintained by calculating risks, and acting appropriately.

You're every bit as likely to get hit from behind while standing at a stop sign as you are to get right hooked, or pulled out in front of by a driver simply not paying attention. There are variables that can never be eliminated, so long as one chooses to ride on open roads. So I travel bearing my own safety in mind. I don't care what drivers think. Wanna honk at me because I didn't full-stop at that four way and you had to? Go right ahead, at least that means you saw me. Do you know how many times in 50,000 miles I've almost run into a car? None. Zero. It's never happened. Do you know how many times a car has pulled in front of me out of a parking lot, or squeezed me into a curb to make a right turn, or any number of "I swear I just didn't even see him" type of situations? How much time have you got? I never once relied on the law to protect me. I relied on me to protect me.
__________________
DrIsotope is offline  
Likes For DrIsotope:
Old 02-04-20, 03:43 PM
  #60  
CoffeedrinkerNC
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: North Carolina - GSO
Posts: 40

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
If you think that you are in some kind of symbiotic relationship with drivers, you're deluding yourself. People behind the wheel do not regard bicycles as anything more than an impediment, without regard to how the person operating the bicycle is behaving. I don't expect anything from drivers, because they will inevitably disappoint. I've been cut off-- badly-- by cars with bike racks on them, with bikes actually on the racks. The mindset of a cyclist and that of a driver are often diametrically opposed. I don't give a tinker's damn what anyone behind the wheel thinks of me, so long as they do not bring their vehicle into contact with mine. Traffic laws are in place because people can and will behave in such a way as to endanger the lives of others. No matter what level of scofflaw I achieve, I put no one other than myself at risk-- my mode of transportation is not a ton and a half of steel that operates on captive explosions . That's just the point-- cycling on an open road is a calculated risk, just as is jumping a light or rolling a stop sign.

A cop ticketing a cyclist for rolling a stop sign is absurd, because it implies that financial burden = individual safety; you get a ticket, you'll be "safer in the future." It's hogwash. People operate cars distracted, driving at whatever speeds they see fit, and are willing to endanger the lives of others in order to get home a little sooner. I ride a bike for purely selfish reasons-- I'm spending time alone, doing something that is beneficial to no one but myself. So when I ride, I follow my own set of rules, and the written rules be damned. Because those rules set forth by the city, state, county, or whomever are not interested with my safety as a cyclist, full stop. I am full in my faculties, and know how to behave in such a manner to maintain my safety. I don't need to come to a full and complete stop at every single intersection, because I can judge every single intersection as it should be treated, and proceed safely with anything from a complete stop to not even slowing down. Safety is not guaranteed by any posted sign or written law. It is maintained by calculating risks, and acting appropriately.

You're every bit as likely to get hit from behind while standing at a stop sign as you are to get right hooked, or pulled out in front of by a driver simply not paying attention. There are variables that can never be eliminated, so long as one chooses to ride on open roads. So I travel bearing my own safety in mind. I don't care what drivers think. Wanna honk at me because I didn't full-stop at that four way and you had to? Go right ahead, at least that means you saw me. Do you know how many times in 50,000 miles I've almost run into a car? None. Zero. It's never happened. Do you know how many times a car has pulled in front of me out of a parking lot, or squeezed me into a curb to make a right turn, or any number of "I swear I just didn't even see him" type of situations? How much time have you got? I never once relied on the law to protect me. I relied on me to protect me.
just another road user that thinks they are better than the law. Not following the rules makes you the same as the cage drivers you complain about,
CoffeedrinkerNC is offline  
Likes For CoffeedrinkerNC:
Old 02-04-20, 04:06 PM
  #61  
Troul 
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 6,045

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,122 Times in 1,426 Posts
Driving a motorized vehicle that is operated by an individual & meets the requirements of necessitating a title & registration requires proper licensing/certification. That type of requirement is to also adhere to road laws established for the privilege of having the license/certification.
I bicycle does not meet the above requirements, & a bicycle is not based on privileges. In America, operating a bicycle is a freedom of choice & often for improving one's health.
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Old 02-05-20, 05:58 AM
  #62  
FlMTNdude
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Williston FL
Posts: 531

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Something I thought about as reading this. All of my emergency info is available off my locked home screen. I donít have a drivers license with me if not commuting or going to the store. I just wonder how they would process that.
FlMTNdude is offline  
Old 02-05-20, 06:59 AM
  #63  
Miele Man
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,653

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1322 Post(s)
Liked 917 Times in 633 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
Meanwhile, the biggest effort California is making is to allow cyclists to legally proceed straight from a dedicated right turn lane. Which is something I do every single day I'm on the road, because I'm in favor of not getting run over by a car.

Genuinely not surprised by the sheer volume of "letter of the law" folks in this thread. They're always worth a chuckle.
I treat dedicate right turn lanes as dedicated right turn lanes if I'm riding straight through. I signal and then merge left into the right-most straight through lane. that avoids the dreaded right-hook of a vehicle passing me and then turning in front of me in that dedicated right turn lane. Personally, I think riding straight through in a dedicated right turn lane is a dangerous thing to do.

I've nearly been hit a few times (as I proceeded straight in the right most through lane) by bicycles and vehicles that went straight through a dedicated right turn lane rather than turning as they should have done.

Cheers
Miele Man is offline  
Old 02-05-20, 07:23 AM
  #64  
DorkDisk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kips Bay, NY
Posts: 2,099

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 424 Posts
NY here, with some practical advice to the OP: try to avoid more tickets, as the price escalates. A friend got hit with two red light violations on his bicycle, one for 500 and the last for 1000. Apparently he already had one ticket prior.
DorkDisk is offline  
Old 02-05-20, 07:36 AM
  #65  
rebel1916
Senior Member
 
rebel1916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 42 Posts
If you commit an infraction and can't be identified you can be held until your identity is established.
rebel1916 is offline  
Old 02-05-20, 07:37 AM
  #66  
rebel1916
Senior Member
 
rebel1916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by FlMTNdude View Post
Something I thought about as reading this. All of my emergency info is available off my locked home screen. I donít have a drivers license with me if not commuting or going to the store. I just wonder how they would process that.
Originally Posted by Troul View Post
It should be called out in your local laws for the legal distance a police patrol officer is allowed to follow you without cause.
That footage you have could have the ticket thrown out.
This is not a thing.
rebel1916 is offline  
Old 02-05-20, 07:45 AM
  #67  
rebel1916
Senior Member
 
rebel1916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed View Post
Around here it isn't a suggestion, but a requirement.
https://communityjournal.net/epidemi...-unacceptable/
Holy cow that was hilarious.
rebel1916 is offline  
Old 02-05-20, 08:47 AM
  #68  
Notso_fastLane
Senior Member
 
Notso_fastLane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Layton, UT
Posts: 1,600

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by CoffeedrinkerNC View Post
just another road user that thinks they are better than the law. Not following the rules makes you the same as the cage drivers you complain about,
Just another forum poster without a sense of perspective. Not allowing for common sense makes you the same as authoritarian bootlickers.

See how fun this can be!

Last edited by Notso_fastLane; 02-05-20 at 09:29 AM.
Notso_fastLane is offline  
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 02-05-20, 11:38 AM
  #69  
Daniel4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,353

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 382 Posts
There's someone here in BikeForums who had a thread about how to run red lights and stop signs properly. I guess that's why the OP got a ticket. It wasn't done properly.

I don't know how to run reds and stop signs properly so I don't do it.
Daniel4 is online now  
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 02-05-20, 12:22 PM
  #70  
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It
 
Paul Barnard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 5,538

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1925 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 685 Posts
Originally Posted by CoffeedrinkerNC View Post
just another road user that thinks they are better than the law. Not following the rules makes you the same as the cage drivers you complain about,
You have never ridden in traffic if you don't understand how breaking the law can enhance cyclist safety. Get some experience then come back and have an informed discussion.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 02-05-20, 12:24 PM
  #71  
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It
 
Paul Barnard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 5,538

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1925 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 685 Posts
Every single time drive or ride I break the law. It's that way with every one I know, everyone I have observed and everyone I have has an honest discussion with. If I am ever fortunate enough to get a ticket riding my bicycle, I am going to frame it.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 02-05-20, 01:17 PM
  #72  
OBoile
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,745
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 188 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
Every single time drive or ride I break the law. It's that way with every one I know, everyone I have observed and everyone I have has an honest discussion with. If I am ever fortunate enough to get a ticket riding my bicycle, I am going to frame it.
Yes, everyone breaks the law.
But only some people seem to think it's unfair that they get a ticket for breaking the law when they get caught breaking the law.
OBoile is offline  
Old 02-05-20, 01:24 PM
  #73  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 27,273
Mentioned: 216 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17033 Post(s)
Liked 3,869 Times in 2,868 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere View Post
I don't understand people. If you know you did it and say you did it, then pay up.
I've been subjected to police harassment, police intimidation, and police flagrantly breaking the law.

And, a lot of these tickets are absolutely irrelevant. The OP stopped, then we assume proceeded when it was safe, perhaps even putting himself in a more visible location on the road. Did he enter a traffic lane before green?

So... no... I won't lie in court (unlike the criminal police officers), but will ask for my day in court.
CliffordK is online now  
Old 02-05-20, 01:32 PM
  #74  
CoffeedrinkerNC
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: North Carolina - GSO
Posts: 40

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
You have never ridden in traffic if you don't understand how breaking the law can enhance cyclist safety. Get some experience then come back and have an informed discussion.
I understand riding in traffic, I rode a bike back in the late 80's and early 90's. I've been riding motorcycles on the street from the late 80's. So, yes i understand.
CoffeedrinkerNC is offline  
Old 02-05-20, 02:29 PM
  #75  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 36,011
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16570 Post(s)
Liked 11,535 Times in 5,551 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
You have never ridden in traffic if you don't understand how breaking the law can enhance cyclist safety. Get some experience then come back and have an informed discussion.
And actually improve auto traffic flow. I think a lot of drivers don't understand that. Here is Philly, our many narrow streets and things like delivery trucks blocking lanes scream for the Idaho Stop law.
indyfabz is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.