Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need help with getting a replacement wheel for a bike.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Need help with getting a replacement wheel for a bike.

Old 03-03-20, 01:22 PM
  #1  
TheFreQiest
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need help with getting a replacement wheel for a bike.

Hi, I have recently purchased a marked down Schwinn DSB Dual Sport bike (or at least that's what it says on the frame), and as I was taking the rear wheel off to inspect any damage that may have occurred back there, the rear gear assembly completely fell apart, all the bearings, cogs, and pretty much any part you can think of fell off of the hub and all over the floor. I don't have any specialty tools or the time to fix the current wheel so I have opted to just buy a completely new wheel and gear assembly. I need help knowing how to pick a new wheel and cassette. So far I've found that the wheel itself is a 700x34c (I think) and the tire that was on it is a 700 x 38c. The cassette is a 7 speed. How would I go about buying a new wheel and gear assembly to put onto this bike?
TheFreQiest is offline  
Old 03-03-20, 01:39 PM
  #2  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 27,021
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11425 Post(s)
Liked 3,073 Times in 1,704 Posts
Take it back to Walmart or wherever and get your money back.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 03-03-20, 02:13 PM
  #3  
TheFreQiest
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Take it back to Walmart or wherever and get your money back.
It was sold as-is, I can't take it back for a refund. The only problem on this bike is the rear wheel, I can't identify any other problems other than the derailleurs needing to be calibrated and adjusted.
TheFreQiest is offline  
Old 03-03-20, 02:58 PM
  #4  
alcjphil
Senior Member
 
alcjphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 3,787
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 279 Times in 181 Posts
My bet is that the axle broke. Replacing the axle is a fairly simple job. 7 speed probably indicates a freewheel, not a cassette. Freewheel hubs are much more prone to broken axles than cassette hubs
alcjphil is offline  
Old 03-03-20, 03:51 PM
  #5  
travbikeman
Senior Member
 
travbikeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Panhandle WV
Posts: 1,358

Bikes: The growing fleet: Scott Sub Cross 30, Specialized Crosstrail Sport, Scott Scale 970

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Might be less expensive to take to a bike shop and have them repack the bearings and put on a new freewheel. Would be less than a new wheel. My guestimate would be about $60.

There are wheels like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Weinmann-Whee...272352&sr=8-17

But your still going to have to buy a new freewheel and tools to install or a bike shop to install for you.

This is what makes me think it's cheaper to pay a LBS to fix original wheel.

Last edited by travbikeman; 03-03-20 at 03:58 PM.
travbikeman is offline  
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 03-03-20, 04:40 PM
  #6  
alcjphil
Senior Member
 
alcjphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 3,787
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 279 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by TheFreQiest View Post
It was sold as-is, I can't take it back for a refund. The only problem on this bike is the rear wheel, I can't identify any other problems other than the derailleurs needing to be calibrated and adjusted.
You say the bike was sold as is. Was it second hand or new? Where did you buy it? Even items sold as is should still have some warranty support if a part on it is clearly defective. You may not be able to return the bike, but the seller may be willing to replace the defective part
derailleurs being out of adjustment is pretty much a given for bikes sold online or in discount type stores
alcjphil is offline  
Old 03-03-20, 07:55 PM
  #7  
Thomas15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NE PA
Posts: 294
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 81 Posts
I'm going to agree with those saying to take the bike to a shop and have them fix it. Even if someone gave you a new wheel for free getting everything adjusted properly will require some time and learning. If you are new as it appears you are and don't have the time or tools then paying to have everything put together properly is money well spent.

Most of us started with little in the way of tools and knowledge. We developed a love for riding bikes way before we immersed ourselves in fixing and maintaining our machines. If you stick with it in time you will also start to collect tools will know what each component works. At the minimum you should have enough tools to make simple repairs but starting with your bike functioning well will help make cycling a fun past time rather than a mystery.
Thomas15 is offline  
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 03-03-20, 08:04 PM
  #8  
alcjphil
Senior Member
 
alcjphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 3,787
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 279 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by TheFreQiest View Post
Hi, I have recently purchased a marked down Schwinn DSB Dual Sport bike (or at least that's what it says on the frame), and as I was taking the rear wheel off to inspect any damage that may have occurred back there, the rear gear assembly completely fell apart, all the bearings, cogs, and pretty much any part you can think of fell off of the hub and all over the floor. I don't have any specialty tools or the time to fix the current wheel so I have opted to just buy a completely new wheel and gear assembly. I need help knowing how to pick a new wheel and cassette. So far I've found that the wheel itself is a 700x34c (I think) and the tire that was on it is a 700 x 38c. The cassette is a 7 speed. How would I go about buying a new wheel and gear assembly to put onto this bike?
After reading this again, I have to think that your whole rear wheel was massively defective if this description is accurate. The deal here is that you have to have this inspected by someone who knows what they are doing. Your bike was sold "as is" but that does not mean that you forfeit any recourse for defective parts
alcjphil is offline  
Old 03-03-20, 08:28 PM
  #9  
ramzilla
Senior Member
 
ramzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Fernandina Beach FL
Posts: 3,225

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 153 Posts
That's odd. Bike is probably cursed with evil spirits. I would look for a witch doctor for help.
ramzilla is offline  
Old 03-03-20, 08:54 PM
  #10  
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time
 
CroMo Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 1,263

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Maybe it was just the freewheel (assembly) that fell apart, in which case you could get a new one on Amazon for $14 and take it and the existing wheel to a local bike shop or bike coop to have the remainder of the old freewheel removed and the new one installed. Call them first, the shop or coop may even have a $14 freewheel to sell you.

https://www.amazon.com/SunRace-Freew...s%2C146&sr=8-4

If the bearing retainer ring on a freewheel loosens and falls off, you find the screw-on ring, some spacers, a bunch of tiny ball bearings and possibly the engagement pawls and springs at your feet. Along with the cogset.
__________________
My C&V Bikes:
1972 Bottecchia Professional, 1987 Bottecchia Team C-Record, 1982 Colnago Super,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron Super Record


CroMo Mike is online now  
Old 03-03-20, 09:50 PM
  #11  
alcjphil
Senior Member
 
alcjphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 3,787
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 279 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by CroMo Mike View Post
Maybe it was just the freewheel (assembly) that fell apart, in which case you could get a new one on Amazon for $14 and take it and the existing wheel to a local bike shop or bike coop to have the remainder of the old freewheel removed and the new one installed. Call them first, the shop or coop may even have a $14 freewheel to sell you.

https://www.amazon.com/SunRace-Freew...s%2C146&sr=8-4

If the bearing retainer ring on a freewheel loosens and falls off, you find the screw-on ring, some spacers, a bunch of tiny ball bearings and possibly the engagement pawls and springs at your feet. Along with the cogset.
This is another possible defect that could have happened. We are trying to diagnose a problem with limited information. If your freewheel fell apart, a new one will be inexpensive and you will have to buy one anyway if you buy a new wheel. If your freewheel fell apart, all you need to buy is a new freewheel, but your original post does mot necessarily indicate that. Please inform yourself by consulting with someone who can look at your bike and figure out what is wrong
alcjphil is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.