Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   Ultimate Stream Pepper Spray (https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/1195646-ultimate-stream-pepper-spray.html)

mjac 03-12-20 09:35 AM

Ultimate Stream Pepper Spray
 
I am not sure if this belongs in Advocacy and Safety or not. I thought Advocacy and Safety pertained to physical hazards not social ones, but I do not know.

I had a little incident on the bike path the other day so I looked into this while I decide if I want to go full CC. I ran across this Fox Labs 5.3 heavy stream pepper spray. They supposedly supply defense sprays for the military,LEOs and Secret Service. They call it a heavy stream pepper spray, it has a range of 18 - 20 feet, so I assume it is more like a gel. I ordered it and it came in yesterday. This is easily the best, most powerful pepper spray/gel I have ever seen. It is well designed and well made. Even the 1.5 oz, compact size has a range of 18 - 20 feet. The flip top safety cap is spring loaded with just the right amount of tension. The 5.3 refers to 5.3 million Scoval Heat Units. The most powerful pepper spray/gel in the world. I have never seen one higher then 2 million SHU before. This is some powerful stuff. It has a shelf life of three years.

I am am not advocating for this type of self defense, but if this is your thing, this is the best. As a matter of fact I took it on my regular Rec ride for the first time and did not like the feeling. I felt self conscious and preoccupied by it and it just about ruined the ride. Maybe I will get over it.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2c6906ccfd.png
But if you want the best this is it.

bpcyclist 03-12-20 09:56 AM

Not my thing or in my wheelhouse. That said, we have had two (apparent) homicides either right on or right off probably the most popular MUP in town over the last year or so. There are occasionally some fairly sketchy people there, esp. after dark/before sun-up. When it's your time, it's your time...

Chuckles1 03-12-20 10:03 AM

Good info
 
Am curious, can you grab this with one hand from pocket of cycling jersey and easily fire without dismounting? I've had enough hostile dog encounters over the years to make me leery of trying some new routes, and want to have a spray that will give me the confidence to enter some remote areas alone.

indyfabz 03-12-20 10:10 AM

Subscribed.

OldTryGuy 03-12-20 10:10 AM


Originally Posted by Chuckles1 (Post 21363601)
Am curious, can you grab this with one hand from pocket of cycling jersey and easily fire without dismounting? I've had enough hostile dog encounters over the years to make me leery of trying some new routes, and want to have a spray that will give me the confidence to enter some remote areas alone.

I have my GEL mounted on bars and at easy quick draw positioning.

https://www.amazon.com/SABRE-RED-Pep...53JD4BSM2DG13Y

aabb 03-12-20 10:19 AM

As a runner, I've come across countless encounters with dangerous dogs put off leash by their irresponsible dip**** owners. I mostly do trail/gravel running, so yeah we're talking pretty remote areas. If something happens to me I could easily get killed or seriously injured without anyone noticing.

I've thought about something like this. Especially something that I can attach on my shorts or maybe hydration bag for long runs. I've even thought about tasers lol.

mjac 03-12-20 10:25 AM


Originally Posted by bpcyclist (Post 21363588)
Not my thing or in my wheelhouse. That said, we have had two (apparent) homicides either right on or right off probably the most popular MUP in town over the last year or so. There are occasionally some fairly sketchy people there, esp. after dark/before sun-up. When it's your time, it's your time...

You are right, at night things can get dicey. But I can not agree. It is not going to be my time, it is going to be their time.

mjac 03-12-20 10:39 AM


Originally Posted by Chuckles1 (Post 21363601)
Am curious, can you grab this with one hand from pocket of cycling jersey and easily fire without dismounting? I've had enough hostile dog encounters over the years to make me leery of trying some new routes, and want to have a spray that will give me the confidence to enter some remote areas alone.

The one shown is their most compact size, 1.5 oz., it is 4" high and 11/4" in diameter. Which is another reason to use this companies products. Other companies smaller compact sizes diminish in performance. This 1.5oz size has a range of 18 - 20 feet more then some companies larger sizes. It is compact, grab and go with no sharp edges to get hung up on in your pocket. The safety mechanism is the best I have ever seen it is not cheaply done. This stuff is powerful. I mean Powerful, 5.3 million Scovel Heat Units. I have never seen one over 2 million. It gets anywhere near anything their **** is going in the dirt,period. The only thing I am not sure about is why they refer to it as a heavy concentrated stream instead of a gel. It still has that range so I guesse it does not hatter. This is the one thing I have to clarify with them. I want the most concentrated stream for no side contamination.

TKJava 03-12-20 10:41 AM

This looks interesting depending on who you are and where you ride. Over the last few years I have noticed more women riding on the roads I ride. Along with that an increase in women who are out there alone on the bike. (Insert gender bias disclaimer here). I feel across the population women on average are a bit more vulnerable than men and might feel more comfortable with a reasonable self defense mechanism on board such as this one. Not to say that men should not use it.

Most of the bad encounters I have are with men in cars or trucks. You would be amazed at the level of anger some have when they need to move 6 inches to the left or slow down for an entire 10 seconds to avoid hitting me. I didn't know there were so many ways to use the "f" bomb and references to my mother in a sentence. For this reason I somewhat consider something to carry other than my frame pump or a squirt of water from my bottle. I have not so far. BTW I'm as courteous as a cyclist could possibly be when I ride on roads. Always as far to the side as the conditions allow, flashing lights, bright colors, hand signals, obeying traffic signs but it does not matter sometimes. Some people see a cyclist and the rage initiates.

mjac 03-12-20 10:43 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21363613)
Subscribed.

You are talking to the wrong person when it comes to Internet lingo right now, I am slowly catching up. What does this mean?

mjac 03-12-20 10:50 AM


Originally Posted by OldTryGuy (Post 21363615)
I have my GEL mounted on bars and at easy quick draw positioning.

https://www.amazon.com/SABRE-RED-Pep...53JD4BSM2DG13Y

No offense, but this stuff makes Sabre Red look like Air Freshener.

indyfabz 03-12-20 10:55 AM


Originally Posted by mjac (Post 21363676)
What does this mean?

Telling you would take some of the mystery out of your life. I cannot, in good conscience, be responsible for that.

mjac 03-12-20 10:56 AM


Originally Posted by aabb (Post 21363627)
As a runner, I've come across countless encounters with dangerous dogs put off leash by their irresponsible dip**** owners. I mostly do trail/gravel running, so yeah we're talking pretty remote areas. If something happens to me I could easily get killed or seriously injured without anyone noticing.

I've thought about something like this. Especially something that I can attach on my shorts or maybe hydration bag for long runs. I've even thought about tasers lol.

As I said, I am not suggesting what you should do. That is up to every person. But if you decide on your own to try a defense spray, get the best, don't use any junk. All I am saying is that this is the best if you decide to go that route. It is not even close.

mjac 03-12-20 11:06 AM


Originally Posted by TKJava (Post 21363673)
This looks interesting depending on who you are and where you ride. Over the last few years I have noticed more women riding on the roads I ride. Along with that an increase in women who are out there alone on the bike. (Insert gender bias disclaimer here). I feel across the population women on average are a bit more vulnerable than men and might feel more comfortable with a reasonable self defense mechanism on board such as this one. Not to say that men should not use it.

Most of the bad encounters I have are with men in cars or trucks. You would be amazed at the level of anger some have when they need to move 6 inches to the left or slow down for an entire 10 seconds to avoid hitting me. I didn't know there were so many ways to use the "f" bomb and references to my mother in a sentence. For this reason I somewhat consider something to carry other than my frame pump or a squirt of water from my bottle. I have not so far. BTW I'm as courteous as a cyclist could possibly be when I ride on roads. Always as far to the side as the conditions allow, flashing lights, bright colors, hand signals, obeying traffic signs but it does not matter sometimes. Some people see a cyclist and the rage initiates.

If you are going to carry one, this is the one you should carry. They are legit. I will always promote companies that are legitamate and not all hype. This is one of them.

ckindt 03-12-20 11:09 AM


Originally Posted by mjac (Post 21363676)
You are talking to the wrong person when it comes to Internet lingo right now, I am slowly catching up. What does this mean?

It means someone wants to make it known publicly (within the thread) that they want to receive notifications when updates are made to the thread to which they subscribed.
It isn't necessary to reply to a thread with the singular purpose of subscribing to it. Subscribing may be accomplished simply by pressing the button "Subscribe" at the top of thread.


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21363700)
Telling you would take some of the mystery out of your life. I cannot, in good conscience, be responsible for that.

I have no conscience today.

indyfabz 03-12-20 11:12 AM


Originally Posted by ckindt (Post 21363725)
It means someone wants to make it known publicly (within the thread) that they want to receive notifications when updates are made to the thread to which they subscribed.

Uncorrect.

Gconan 03-12-20 11:37 AM


Originally Posted by mjac (Post 21363676)
You are talking to the wrong person when it comes to Internet lingo right now, I am slowly catching up. What does this mean?

He is watching this thread with interest.

aabb 03-12-20 11:37 AM


Originally Posted by mjac (Post 21363720)
If you are going to carry one, this is the one you should carry. They are legit. I will always promote companies that are legitamate and not all hype. This is one of them.

Doesnt seem to be available on Amazon Canada :/

mjac 03-12-20 11:43 AM


Originally Posted by OldTryGuy (Post 21363615)
I have my GEL mounted on bars and at easy quick draw positioning.

https://www.amazon.com/SABRE-RED-Pep...53JD4BSM2DG13Y

As I stated above, I carried for the first time on my regular afternoon Rec ride yesterday and I was self conscious and preoccupied by it and it basically ruined my ride to a degree. Did you feel this way when you first started carrying it?

terrafirma 03-12-20 11:44 AM

+1 for having police grade spray in the bike bag.

mjac 03-12-20 11:49 AM


Originally Posted by aabb (Post 21363780)
Doesnt seem to be available on Amazon Canada :/

Don't know about Canada. Maybe you can get someone in the Staes to get it for you and mail it to you. I would say get it from the Company but for some reason parts of their website are under construction. A better product description actually exists on Amazon.

mjac 03-12-20 11:52 AM


Originally Posted by terrafirma (Post 21363800)
+1 for having police grade spray in the bike bag.

Try this stuff. Where you self conscious about it when you first started carrying it and did that subside if you did?

mjac 03-12-20 11:59 AM


Originally Posted by Gconan (Post 21363778)
He is watching this thread with interest.

It was an indirect compliment? Wait...I just fell on the floor.

Milton Keynes 03-12-20 11:59 AM


Originally Posted by bpcyclist (Post 21363588)
Not my thing or in my wheelhouse. That said, we have had two (apparent) homicides either right on or right off probably the most popular MUP in town over the last year or so. There are occasionally some fairly sketchy people there, esp. after dark/before sun-up. When it's your time, it's your time...

When it's your time, it's your time, but if I can put the odds in my favor with regards to survival, I will do so. And where I ride I'm not so much concerned about two-legged threats, but four-legged ones. I've not been bitten yet but I came close once when a little nipper just got my heel. Had he been a bigger dog I'm sure he'd have taken a chunk out of my leg.

indyfabz 03-12-20 12:00 PM


Originally Posted by mjac (Post 21363835)
It was an indirect compliment? Wait...I just fell on the floor.

Uncorrect, but I hope you can get up.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:30 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.