Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Assos Chamois Cream

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Assos Chamois Cream

Old 03-15-20, 08:48 PM
  #1  
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels
Thread Starter
 
sdmc530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2,773

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 223 Posts
Assos Chamois Cream

Sorry if this is a dumbish question but I have to ask.
I normally use the Chamois Butt'r

https://www.rei.com/product/628122/p...ois-buttr-8-oz

I get if for $17 and its fine and no issues. A buddy gave me some Assos brand for Christmas. I kind of game him grief because its twice the price per volume. He said use it, works great, feels great. Well I tied it tonight and I have two questions.

1. It was kind of cooling, is that normal for Assos?
2. It was kind of tingly too, is that normal for Assos?

I have never had those sorts of sensations with cream before only every tried 2 in my life. Link below is the Assos that I used for the first time.
Not try to start a debate about what is better and all that just making sure that is normal and something isn't wrong with me per-say.

link to assos I have:

https://www.rei.com/product/723140/assos-chamois-cream

thanks!!
sdmc530 is offline  
Old 03-15-20, 10:36 PM
  #2  
bpcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,115
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 221 Posts
It seems like I might have been a dermatologist in another life, though it is all quite hazy in my advancing age. I just use plain, white petrolatum. Works just fine. Cheap. Abundant.
bpcyclist is offline  
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 03-16-20, 03:01 AM
  #3  
nomadmax 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 1,583
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 432 Posts
Nothing works like Boudreaux's

https://www.buttpaste.com/diaper-ras...al-butt-paste/

Besides that, it's inexpensive and widely available.
nomadmax is offline  
Old 03-16-20, 06:11 AM
  #4  
Moe Zhoost
Half way there
 
Moe Zhoost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 2,174

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 252 Posts
I've used Bag Balm for years. Smells a bit funky, but it works very well and is inexpensive.
Moe Zhoost is offline  
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 03-16-20, 06:36 AM
  #5  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,982
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 1,112 Times in 535 Posts
[QUOTE=sdmc530;21368998]

1. It was kind of cooling, is that normal for Assos?
2. It was kind of tingly too, is that normal for Assos?


/QUOTE]

Yes to both.

Best chamois cream I have used.
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-16-20, 07:17 AM
  #6  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 7,333

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 344 Posts
Assos Chamois creme is good stuff. So is most of the other stuff out there.
bruce19 is offline  
Likes For bruce19:
Old 03-16-20, 08:39 AM
  #7  
jgwilliams
Senior Member
 
jgwilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 542

Bikes: Planet X Carbon Pro Evo SRAM Force, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Giant XTC 4 mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 28 Posts
I've noticed 1 but not 2. It's a good creme - I've been using it for at least fifteen years now - although the formula has obviously changed as it's been through two colour changes in that time.

Interestingly in the UK it works out as one of the cheaper chamois cremes - though not the cheapest.
jgwilliams is offline  
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 03-16-20, 09:28 AM
  #8  
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels
Thread Starter
 
sdmc530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2,773

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 223 Posts
Thanks......I assumed it was all good. I will keep using it. Seems likes a good product.
sdmc530 is offline  
Old 03-16-20, 10:05 AM
  #9  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,982
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 1,112 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost View Post
I've used Bag Balm for years. Smells a bit funky, but it works very well and is inexpensive.
It works well, but I found that it would not easily wash out of my chamois. It just kind of built up.
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-16-20, 10:13 AM
  #10  
jischr
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've used Butt'r for many years and was happy. I got Assos free with some shorts and get the cooling/tingling also. I now use Butt'r for 30-60 mile rides and Assos for >60 mile rides, or if rain is likely. The Assos has better staying power in my experience.
jischr is offline  
Likes For jischr:
Old 03-16-20, 11:28 AM
  #11  
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels
Thread Starter
 
sdmc530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2,773

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by jischr View Post
I've used Butt'r for many years and was happy. I got Assos free with some shorts and get the cooling/tingling also. I now use Butt'r for 30-60 mile rides and Assos for >60 mile rides, or if rain is likely. The Assos has better staying power in my experience.
thanks for the insight...if its as good as all the reviews says I will probably stay with it.
sdmc530 is offline  
Old 03-16-20, 11:29 AM
  #12  
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels
Thread Starter
 
sdmc530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2,773

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
It works well, but I found that it would not easily wash out of my chamois. It just kind of built up.
yep, greasy and works great on hands/skin but nothing I want to put on my clothing on purpose.
sdmc530 is offline  
Old 03-17-20, 10:54 PM
  #13  
Oso Polar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 272

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
thanks for the insight...if its as good as all the reviews says I will probably stay with it.
After switching to Assos bibs (T.cento_s7) I've found out that I don't need chamois cream anymore....
Oso Polar is offline  
Likes For Oso Polar:
Old 03-18-20, 02:21 PM
  #14  
roadsnakes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 24 Posts
NOXZEMA



https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/arti...ore-prevention

https://beginnertriathlete.com/discu...=192865&page=1
roadsnakes is offline  
Old 03-18-20, 03:38 PM
  #15  
obrentharris 
Senior Member
 
obrentharris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 3,005

Bikes: fewer (n-1)

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 504 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist View Post
It seems like I might have been a dermatologist in another life, though it is all quite hazy in my advancing age. I just use plain, white petrolatum. Works just fine. Cheap. Abundant.
The manufacturer's rep for a well-known cycling clothing company explained to me that many of the modern "chamois" are so absorbent that they will suck up large amounts of chamois cream, leaving very little protective cream on the surface. His suggestion, use petroleum jelly: It's considerably thicker so it won't be sucked away by the chamois and its padding.

My variation on this is to apply the petroleum jelly to the chamois and the chamois cream to my body... works great for me.
Brent
obrentharris is online now  
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 03-18-20, 04:17 PM
  #16  
bpcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,115
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris View Post
The manufacturer's rep for a well-known cycling clothing company explained to me that many of the modern "chamois" are so absorbent that they will suck up large amounts of chamois cream, leaving very little protective cream on the surface. His suggestion, use petroleum jelly: It's considerably thicker so it won't be sucked away by the chamois and its padding.

My variation on this is to apply the petroleum jelly to the chamois and the chamois cream to my body... works great for me.
Brent
It is and has been the Gold Standard emollient for literally decades. There is nothing better.
bpcyclist is offline  
Old 03-18-20, 05:47 PM
  #17  
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels
Thread Starter
 
sdmc530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2,773

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 223 Posts
After a week of using the Assos brand I am very impressed. I really like it better. Might be in my head but I think it does feel better. I never apply to the shorts though, never been my thing.
sdmc530 is offline  
Old 03-18-20, 06:34 PM
  #18  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 6,156

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3121 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
After a week of using the Assos brand I am very impressed. I really like it better. Might be in my head but I think it does feel better. I never apply to the shorts though, never been my thing.
Do we dare ask where exactly you do apply it then?
Sy Reene is offline  
Old 03-18-20, 06:40 PM
  #19  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 6,156

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3121 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 351 Posts
Some of the marketing on these products is great tho'.. ie. you start with Assos, then you have

or.. and I have some of this which is pretty good:

Sy Reene is offline  
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 03-19-20, 10:53 AM
  #20  
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels
Thread Starter
 
sdmc530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2,773

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene View Post
Do we dare ask where exactly you do apply it then?

LMAO!! Directly to the necessary parts of my body. And some behind the ears for good measures!
sdmc530 is offline  
Old 03-24-20, 07:24 AM
  #21  
cbuddy2005
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Leander Texas
Posts: 143

Bikes: GT avalanche, '78 Gran Criterion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nivea in a jar. Cheaper and works well in summer here in Texas. But, baby wipes and witch hazel to clean yourself off first. Friction, heat, humidity and bacteria = bum issues.
cbuddy2005 is offline  
Old 03-24-20, 05:54 PM
  #22  
phughes
Senior Member
 
phughes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,706
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by cbuddy2005 View Post
Nivea in a jar. Cheaper and works well in summer here in Texas. But, baby wipes and witch hazel to clean yourself off first. Friction, heat, humidity and bacteria = bum issues.
Number 1 cause - Friction, usually caused by a seat that is too high.
phughes is online now  
Old 03-26-20, 06:49 PM
  #23  
hrdknox1
Senior Member
 
hrdknox1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris View Post
The manufacturer's rep for a well-known cycling clothing company explained to me that many of the modern "chamois" are so absorbent that they will suck up large amounts of chamois cream, leaving very little protective cream on the surface. His suggestion, use petroleum jelly: It's considerably thicker so it won't be sucked away by the chamois and its padding.

My variation on this is to apply the petroleum jelly to the chamois and the chamois cream to my body... works great for me.
Brent
Been using Butt'r, but will give petroleum jelly a try.
hrdknox1 is offline  
Old 03-26-20, 07:56 PM
  #24  
SethAZ 
Senior Member
 
SethAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,394

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by cbuddy2005 View Post
Nivea in a jar. Cheaper and works well in summer here in Texas. But, baby wipes and witch hazel to clean yourself off first. Friction, heat, humidity and bacteria = bum issues.
I don't know if this is common or not, but I always take a very quick shower before I suit up for a bike ride, because I believe that starting out squeaky clean down there mitigates like 80+% of any issues that might otherwise develop on longer rides. Having just showered, on rides that are long enough (say, greater than 20 miles or so) I'll just apply some of whatever body lotion my wife has on hand to the necessary areas, and I've never had any issues, even on century rides. I once whipped up my own chamois creme using lotion-making supplies I'd ordered, and added some lanolin for durability, and that worked fine too.
SethAZ is offline  
Old 03-26-20, 09:05 PM
  #25  
Toadmeister
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Iowa
Posts: 363

Bikes: 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ View Post
I don't know if this is common or not, but I always take a very quick shower before I suit up for a bike ride, because I believe that starting out squeaky clean down there mitigates like 80+% of any issues that might otherwise develop on longer rides. Having just showered, on rides that are long enough (say, greater than 20 miles or so) I'll just apply some of whatever body lotion my wife has on hand to the necessary areas, and I've never had any issues, even on century rides. I once whipped up my own chamois creme using lotion-making supplies I'd ordered, and added some lanolin for durability, and that worked fine too.
just because I donít always have the time or convenience to shower before I ride, I use baby or sport wipes often now down where the sun donít shine.
Toadmeister is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.