Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Wave rate

Old 03-30-20, 08:52 PM
  #1  
peterjm76
Irideasteelpig
Thread Starter
 
peterjm76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Tucker, GA
Posts: 19

Bikes: Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Wave rate

What was your wave rate on your last ride? I try to keep a 90+% and wave at as many cyclists as I see. I notice that it isnít the norm, but I think it ought to be. Loosen up your spandex and give riders you see a friendly wave or a nod!
peterjm76 is offline  
Likes For peterjm76:
Old 03-30-20, 08:59 PM
  #2  
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Posts: 8,344

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 817 Posts
A waving thread? Could it be!?

__________________
DrIsotope is offline  
Old 03-30-20, 09:44 PM
  #3  
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!
 
AlmostTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Looney Tunes, IL
Posts: 6,977

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 293 Posts
I guess since you can't ride with others you might as well wave.
AlmostTrick is offline  
Old 03-30-20, 10:02 PM
  #4  
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Off the front
Posts: 287

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 130 Posts
I almost never, ever wave at other cyclists. 0%. I’m so elite I’m not even a 1%er.
AdkMtnMonster is offline  
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 03-31-20, 01:51 AM
  #5  
justslow
Member
 
justslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 37

Bikes: Trek 730, Specialized Sport Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
I acknowledge all creatures great and small. Return acknowledgement not expected, but nice when it happens.
justslow is offline  
Likes For justslow:
Old 03-31-20, 02:45 AM
  #6  
subgrade
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Rīga, Latvia
Posts: 699

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 142 Posts
I wave only at people I know, or in some rare cases when a driver shows me courtesy even if he/she's not obliged to. That said, I actually saw someone I know and waved at him on my ride last saturday.
subgrade is offline  
Old 03-31-20, 04:47 AM
  #7  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,378

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3623 Post(s)
Liked 1,152 Times in 764 Posts
Depends on the terrain. Rippled pavement or gravel might make waves impractical. Will a wink and a pinky waggle do?

This guy waved to the nice people. Look what happened to him.

canklecat is offline  
Likes For canklecat:
Old 03-31-20, 04:48 AM
  #8  
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 7,370

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3824 Post(s)
Liked 2,589 Times in 1,487 Posts
Don't wave, it makes you touch your face. LOL

I nod at people when they are riding the rural and semi-rural roads I'm on, but I don't get this obsession with waving at strangers. I leave that to the toddlers.
livedarklions is online now  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-31-20, 04:49 AM
  #9  
Ghazmh
Senior Member
 
Ghazmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The banks of the River Charles
Posts: 1,316

Bikes: 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520, 2006 Gary Fisher Montare

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 136 Posts
For the sake of conversation I’ll assume a head nod counts as a wave. Unless I’m rolling over or around frost heaved pavement, potholes, or dodging roadside debris I’d say it’s about 90%. Predictably I get almost no waves when I’m on my touring bike and less when on my hybrid.
Ghazmh is offline  
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 03-31-20, 05:53 AM
  #10  
Phil_gretz
Journeyman Bike Commuter
 
Phil_gretz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 5,823

Bikes: '71 Jeunet 640, '74 Fuji Special Road Racer, '79 Peugeot PXN10LE, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 322 Posts
I will acknowledge any passing cyclist who is more "pro" than I am. That way, I get to punch heavier than my waveclass.
Phil_gretz is offline  
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 03-31-20, 06:07 AM
  #11  
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Posts: 11,523

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 164 Posts
It must be spring.
BlazingPedals is offline  
Old 03-31-20, 06:39 AM
  #12  
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 7,370

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3824 Post(s)
Liked 2,589 Times in 1,487 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh View Post
For the sake of conversation Iíll assume a head nod counts as a wave. Unless Iím rolling over or around frost heaved pavement, potholes, or dodging roadside debris Iíd say itís about 90%. Predictably I get almost no waves when Iím on my touring bike and less when on my hybrid.

If you're nodding at 90% of riders in Boston, you must look like a bobblehead doll when you ride.
livedarklions is online now  
Old 03-31-20, 06:45 AM
  #13  
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 4,376

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1262 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 236 Posts
Maybe it's the small town boy in me, but I wave or nod at everyone unless there is a steady procession of people. I say hello to strangers when I pass them on the sidewalk when there's not a steady procession of people. I don't know why, but it seems like the most polite thing to do. I have made some general observations about who is most likely to wave back and who is not.

My wife and I have done a few MUP rides lately where I have put my observations to the test, and my predictions rarely fail me. Older (50ish +) white males on high dollar road bikes are the least likely to wave, head nod or smile. Women and African Americans on almost any kind of bike almost always give a friendly greeting. Almost all people on comfort or cruiser kind of bikes will give a greeting. Everything else falls somewhere in between.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 03-31-20, 07:10 AM
  #14  
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 7,370

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3824 Post(s)
Liked 2,589 Times in 1,487 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
Maybe it's the small town boy in me, but I wave or nod at everyone unless there is a steady procession of people. I say hello to strangers when I pass them on the sidewalk when there's not a steady procession of people. I don't know why, but it seems like the most polite thing to do. I have made some general observations about who is most likely to wave back and who is not.

My wife and I have done a few MUP rides lately where I have put my observations to the test, and my predictions rarely fail me. Older (50ish +) white males on high dollar road bikes are the least likely to wave, head nod or smile. Women and African Americans on almost any kind of bike almost always give a friendly greeting. Almost all people on comfort or cruiser kind of bikes will give a greeting. Everything else falls somewhere in between.
Not on a high dollar road bike, but otherwise I am in your unfriendly demographic..

On a MUP, I'm much more focused on announcing my passes than I am the social niceties with oncoming people, but I do say hi when I feel like it. I haven't observed the demographics of friendliness working the way you describe on MUPs, and it may even be the opposite on roads, I wouldn't put much stock in my observations of this anyway, as we as humans all suffer from confirmation bias/selective memory.

I did have the same social situation happen twice in quick succession the last time I was on a MUP, and they made me feel kind of sad. In both times, I announced from way back that I was about to pass the young mother and her child on the left. I then passed the mother very slowly, and then proceeded to slowly pass the child, repeating that I was about to pass. In both cases, the child had a bit of momentary confusion until the mother yelled "stay to the right", at no time was there ever any real danger to the child as I gave myself plenty of room and time to react to the slight bobble. What made me feel sad was that in both times, the mother felt the need to apologize profusely when both adults had handled the situation precisely as they should. I did my best to communicate "no need to apologize" while respecting social distancing and not slowing down to stay in proximity, but I have no idea if that got heard.

MUPs are where parents need to teach their kids to ride safely, and that means being able to correct their mistakes. Thank parents when they do this--don't make them feel bad.
livedarklions is online now  
Old 03-31-20, 07:14 AM
  #15  
OldTryGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW Fl.
Posts: 4,856

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 168 Posts
I might wave or nod my head or ring my bell OR ALL THREE!!!

Gave the motorist a HUGE WAVE after he passed me with side mirror 2 feet from my head.

p.s. - He stopped, opened the window and angrily told me that I should not be on the road as I went around him. He then proceeded to get right up to my rear wheel before accelerating past me. If the truck was a diesel, I would have been the recipient of Rolling Coal.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 03-31-20 at 07:17 AM.
OldTryGuy is offline  
Old 03-31-20, 07:20 AM
  #16  
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 7,370

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3824 Post(s)
Liked 2,589 Times in 1,487 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
Gave the motorist a HUGE WAVE after he passed me with side mirror 2 feet from my head.

p.s. - He stopped, opened the window and angrily told me that I should not be on the road as I went around him. He then proceeded to get right up to my rear wheel before accelerating past me. If the truck was a diesel, I would have been the recipient of Rolling Coal.

In a situation like that, I save energy on the wave by only using one finger.

If someone is slowing or stopping to argue with me, I take that as a threat and will deliberately begin to act insane enough that they won't want to risk getting out of the car. If they're inclined to hit me with their vehicle, that's already so insane that I don't know whether ignoring them or acting like a nut will or won't make it more likely to happen.
livedarklions is online now  
Old 03-31-20, 07:23 AM
  #17  
Ghazmh
Senior Member
 
Ghazmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The banks of the River Charles
Posts: 1,316

Bikes: 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520, 2006 Gary Fisher Montare

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
If you're nodding at 90% of riders in Boston, you must look like a bobblehead doll when you ride.
LOL, I mostly stay away from Boston and when I do I donít give waving a second thought.
Ghazmh is offline  
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 03-31-20, 07:38 AM
  #18  
Jim from Boston
Senior Member
 
Jim from Boston's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7,376
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 159 Posts
Wave rate

I have previously posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
. ..Personally, I do wave, except where there are loads of cyclists, such as my early morning commute in downtown Boston. Iím not put off by a lack of response either.
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
If you're nodding at 90% of riders in Boston, you must look like a bobblehead doll when you ride.
I do have a seemingly unique greeting besides, or in addition to a wave. I yell a hearty ďYO.Ē Itís an easy syllable to shout, and IMO expresses a crusty comeraderie, yet does not expect a reply. Maybe you could try that.

A couple years ago on the Wall Street Journal morning news program on the radio was a feature segment about runners and cyclists greeting each other. The most significant reason to do so, as I recall was that both participants in such an encounter face the same dangers on the roads and MUPs.
and
Originally Posted by Homebrew01 View Post
"How do I Take My Waves Back ?"

I waved at another rider, but they didn't wave back.. How can I retract my wave so that it doesn't count ?
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
When I see a roadie, I don't wave, but instead I yell "Yo" as a signal of camaraderie. IMO, that doesn't require a response, and you don't appear to be a Fred if unanswered. Probably the other rider is out of breath.

And when you do get a wave back...you've won!

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-31-20 at 07:42 AM. Reason: added quote by livedarklions
Jim from Boston is offline  
Old 03-31-20, 07:54 AM
  #19  
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 4,930

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 305 Posts
I'll usually respond in kind, but unless I'm out in the boonies, there's too many people to initiate.

The exceptions are small kids on bikes, I usually ring my bell and wave or give a thumbs-up. And other winter bike-commuters when it's below freezing, or the streets are snow-packed. Or rain, or any unusual circumstance I can't think of at the moment.

Also, my commute takes me through a section of town where the homeless and destitute gravitate. When I find myself stopped at light, or some other encounter, I like to look at them, smile and wish them a good morning, usually, their faces break out in a big smile, except for those who are dealing with mental or emotional problems. And if they're on a bike I try to compliment it in some way, either mentioning the brand, or if they've bodged something together in a clever way...because I have bodged and kludged and tried to make do in the past and people like to have their work recognized.
BobbyG is offline  
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 03-31-20, 08:01 AM
  #20  
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 7,370

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3824 Post(s)
Liked 2,589 Times in 1,487 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
Wave rate

I have previously posted:and
I greet, nod and wave when I feel like it. Don't think there needs to be an etiquette about it, and no one should be criticized if they don't like doing it.

Next up, when the gyms reopen, do I have to wave at everyone on a stationary bike?
livedarklions is online now  
Old 03-31-20, 08:07 AM
  #21  
Trakhak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,064
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 127 Posts
Everyone should wave at everyone and everything continually.
Trakhak is online now  
Old 03-31-20, 08:07 AM
  #22  
Phil_gretz
Journeyman Bike Commuter
 
Phil_gretz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 5,823

Bikes: '71 Jeunet 640, '74 Fuji Special Road Racer, '79 Peugeot PXN10LE, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 322 Posts
Spin Class...

Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Next up, when the gyms reopen, do I have to wave at everyone on a stationary bike?
...where you can get the bike in the center of the class and wave to all the riders around you. Oh, the bliss.
Phil_gretz is offline  
Old 03-31-20, 08:17 AM
  #23  
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 7,370

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3824 Post(s)
Liked 2,589 Times in 1,487 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post
...where you can get the bike in the center of the class and wave to all the riders around you. Oh, the bliss.
No spin class at my gym, and I never use the things. I could wave while I'm walking by.
livedarklions is online now  
Old 03-31-20, 08:20 AM
  #24  
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 4,376

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1262 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Not on a high dollar road bike, but otherwise I am in your unfriendly demographic..

On a MUP, I'm much more focused on announcing my passes than I am the social niceties with oncoming people, but I do say hi when I feel like it. I haven't observed the demographics of friendliness working the way you describe on MUPs, and it may even be the opposite on roads, I wouldn't put much stock in my observations of this anyway, as we as humans all suffer from confirmation bias/selective memory.

I did have the same social situation happen twice in quick succession the last time I was on a MUP, and they made me feel kind of sad. In both times, I announced from way back that I was about to pass the young mother and her child on the left. I then passed the mother very slowly, and then proceeded to slowly pass the child, repeating that I was about to pass. In both cases, the child had a bit of momentary confusion until the mother yelled "stay to the right", at no time was there ever any real danger to the child as I gave myself plenty of room and time to react to the slight bobble. What made me feel sad was that in both times, the mother felt the need to apologize profusely when both adults had handled the situation precisely as they should. I did my best to communicate "no need to apologize" while respecting social distancing and not slowing down to stay in proximity, but I have no idea if that got heard.

MUPs are where parents need to teach their kids to ride safely, and that means being able to correct their mistakes. Thank parents when they do this--don't make them feel bad.
I have come to realize over the years that here on this forum when MUP is mentioned we all conjure up different mental images, and it shapes our responses. Here in the NOLA area there are places where I have to go into collision avoidance mode when there are lots pedestrians, skaters, and cyclists of all age groups. There, I understand why waves, nods and such aren't the norm. We are so fortunate that our MUPs don't see a lot of activity once you get out away from the parks and parking lots. For me observing human behavior and making mental notes keeps my mind occupied on otherwise repetitive routes.

I fully expect kids on bikes, kids walking and dogs to meander into my path. I believe it's my duty to expect it. I adjust my speed and behavior accordingly. I like that parents use it as a teaching moment, and I also tell them there is no need to apologize. I take occasion to speak politely to them and smile when I pass. All of those other users drive too and maybe, just maybe, being polite on the path will foster polite passes on the road. It certainly won't hurt anything, and a friendly exchange among strangers can brighten my day.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 03-31-20, 08:30 AM
  #25  
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 7,370

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3824 Post(s)
Liked 2,589 Times in 1,487 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
I like that parents use it as a teaching moment, and I also tell them there is no need to apologize. I take occasion to speak politely to them and smile when I pass. All of those other users drive too and maybe, just maybe, being polite on the path will foster polite passes on the road. It certainly won't hurt anything, and a friendly exchange among strangers can brighten my day.
Yup, my main frustration right now is that taking the time to have the polite exchange would probably make them nervous about violating social distance rules Normally, I go out of my way to let them know that I think it's my job to accommodate them, not the other way around.

Also, when I approach a kid on the path, I find it much safer to just assume he/she is going to get it wrong, and get pleasantly surprised when they don't. All the way over and really slow gives me plenty of time to adjust either way.
livedarklions is online now  
Likes For livedarklions:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.