Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Lynskey Premier questions

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Lynskey Premier questions

Old 06-09-20, 09:01 PM
  #1  
RH Clark
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 118 Posts
Lynskey Premier questions

I have a possible opportunity to trade for a Lynskey Premier with full Ultegra DT. I can't find a lot of info so far on these frames so I was basically wanting to know how well people think of them and their general quality compared to a Lightspeed. Sorry for the newby question but I am doing my best to learn and progress as a cyclist and this opportunity came about as I am rather lacking on Titanium knowledge. The bike is in my size and I do ride a lot,just lots heavier bikes.
RH Clark is offline  
Old 06-10-20, 05:25 AM
  #2  
thehammerdog
Senior Member
 
thehammerdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NWNJ
Posts: 3,663

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark View Post
I have a possible opportunity to trade for a Lynskey Premier with full Ultegra DT. I can't find a lot of info so far on these frames so I was basically wanting to know how well people think of them and their general quality compared to a Lightspeed. Sorry for the newby question but I am doing my best to learn and progress as a cyclist and this opportunity came about as I am rather lacking on Titanium knowledge. The bike is in my size and I do ride a lot,just lots heavier bikes.
you will be happy.
high end stuff.
no worries.
thehammerdog is offline  
Likes For thehammerdog:
Old 06-10-20, 06:39 AM
  #3  
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 5,289

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked 1,112 Times in 574 Posts
I have Lynskey and Litespeed bikes. I can't discern any quality differences. Both companies make great bikes.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 06-10-20, 07:59 AM
  #4  
RH Clark
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 118 Posts
I've found some negative reviews now,but I am taking it with a grain of salt thinking that I have done the same with every product I ever tried to review online. I'm about afraid of Carbon and I thought Titanium was the answer but it seems that they may fail just as often. I really need a bike to last as I will blow all my cycling money for a long time if I get this Lynskey. I have made an appointment to go ride it and will likely buy it,, but I'm not nearly as sure that it will be a once in a lifetime bike as I was before just because the more I learn about titanium the more concerned I become,but I don't know if it's just a case of being able to find bad reports if you look enough because of my tendency to over research any purchase. I have been told that the Ultegra DT and the KOGEL BB, only has 500 miles on them. It also has an ENVE carbon fork and carbon bars and seat post. Also Kysrium wheels. 58cm and 17lbs I was told. Yea,I'm trying to talk myself into it and likely won't hold back unless I get a consensus that it will break after a couple years.LOL
RH Clark is offline  
Old 06-10-20, 08:41 AM
  #5  
AndrewJB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 85

Bikes: FUJI Transonic 2.3; Motobecane LeChampion TI SL; Trek 2.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
"because of my tendency to over research any purchase"
The first step in solving your problem is admitting you have one
You are over thinking this...you searched and searched and found a few bad reports, there are many, many folks with Ti bikes that are happy and riding everyday (me included).
If it fits and you are happy...
AndrewJB is offline  
Old 06-10-20, 09:48 AM
  #6  
General Geoff
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 780

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 64 Posts
I have a 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX that I bought new, have roughly 3000 miles on it. Zero problems with the bike after some minor derailleur adjustments upon delivery. The frame is plenty strong. Welds are magnificent, stack-of-dimes everywhere. My riding weight is right around 200 lbs and I take this thing over all types of terrain save for super rocky single-track. I once hit a pothole at 20 mph going down a grade and it caused a "snake bite" pinch flat on both front and rear. Really hard bottoming out. Frame and fork were perfectly fine. Mine has the Lynskey ProGravel carbon fiber fork.
General Geoff is offline  
Old 06-10-20, 11:39 AM
  #7  
RH Clark
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 118 Posts
I appreciate you guys helping to alleviate my concerns. I definitely know that I tend to over analyze. I'm 52 years old though and who knows how many more good years. I'm just trying to enjoy life. I likely don't yet have the skill set to appreciate such a nice bike but I'm doing all I can to progress as a cyclist and doing longer rides on a more road worthy bike is the next step in my cycling evolution.

BTW I weigh 175 if that matters.
RH Clark is offline  
Old 06-10-20, 12:02 PM
  #8  
General Geoff
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 780

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 64 Posts
Weight only really matters with ultralight racing bikes, where you will put a strain on them if you're north of 220 lbs or 100kg. Most of Lynskey's bikes are rated for at least 250 lbs.
General Geoff is offline  
Old 06-10-20, 12:15 PM
  #9  
shelbyfv
Senior Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 10,047
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 3,767 Times in 1,939 Posts
I've been happy with my Lynskey for several years. I know dozens of riders with Ti bikes, Lynskey, Litespeed, Moots, Seven, Serotta, probably others. Never heard anyone mention a frame failure, though I've read about them on the internet.
shelbyfv is offline  
Old 06-11-20, 07:15 AM
  #10  
bblair
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 330

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 95 Posts
As I understand it, the Lynskey family were the original owners of Lightspeed. When they sold the business, they were banned from making frames for a while, but are now back in business. Look at the curved seat stay and cluster: very, very similar.

I've ridden my Lynskey R230 for about 4 years and love it. Very comfortable and fits perfectly. But I bought it through my LBS, not direct from Lynskey. Because that is what the owner rode. We are the same size and he allowed me to ride his bike on a club ride. Sold. It goes without saying that there are many great bikes out there and proper fit is more important than brand name.
bblair is offline  
Old 06-11-20, 10:00 AM
  #11  
Litespud
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Chapel Hill NC
Posts: 1,633

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S, Nashbar 3sp commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 412 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark View Post
I've found some negative reviews now,but I am taking it with a grain of salt thinking that I have done the same with every product I ever tried to review online. I'm about afraid of Carbon and I thought Titanium was the answer but it seems that they may fail just as often. I really need a bike to last as I will blow all my cycling money for a long time if I get this Lynskey. I have made an appointment to go ride it and will likely buy it,, but I'm not nearly as sure that it will be a once in a lifetime bike as I was before just because the more I learn about titanium the more concerned I become,but I don't know if it's just a case of being able to find bad reports if you look enough because of my tendency to over research any purchase. I have been told that the Ultegra DT and the KOGEL BB, only has 500 miles on them. It also has an ENVE carbon fork and carbon bars and seat post. Also Kysrium wheels. 58cm and 17lbs I was told. Yea,I'm trying to talk myself into it and likely won't hold back unless I get a consensus that it will break after a couple years.LOL
Barring trauma, there’s pretty much nothing that can go wrong with a Ti frame except weld failure (and that’s rare), and the best way to minimize that risk is to buy a frame built by an established and experienced builder who knows how to weld. Using that logic, I bought a Lynskey-built Litespeed frame sight-unseen on eBay ~16 years ago. It has >50,000 miles under my 185 lb arse and still perfect. Lynskeys are at the upper end of Ti builders and, between Litespeed and Lynskey, have arguably built more high-end TI frames than any other manufacturer. If there’s no obvious sign of trauma or abuse, a Lynskey is as sound a used purchase as you can get
Litespud is offline  
Likes For Litespud:
Old 10-11-20, 10:17 PM
  #12  
marcoguzm
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I bought one.

Originally Posted by RH Clark View Post
I have a possible opportunity to trade for a Lynskey Premier with full Ultegra DT. I can't find a lot of info so far on these frames so I was basically wanting to know how well people think of them and their general quality compared to a Lightspeed. Sorry for the newby question but I am doing my best to learn and progress as a cyclist and this opportunity came about as I am rather lacking on Titanium knowledge. The bike is in my size and I do ride a lot,just lots heavier bikes.

Last year, in August, I bought a Linskey Premier frameset, and put parts from an Iron Horse Victory with Scandium tubes that had broken. I had to buy some parts too. It has a mixture of parts: Dura Ace and Ultegra shifters, ultegra brakes, sora front derailleur, XT rear derailleur, XT rear cassette (11-34, 9 speed), Spa Cycles crankset 46/33, XTR pedals, Hunt Aero Wheelset, Omni Ti bottom bracket. It's a delightful bike, very good for climbing, good in the flats, I enjoy it very much, it's been with me for more than a year. Basically, it's a Mosaic Cycles RT2...with some minor differences. Mine is 56 cm, I'm 5'10", around 155 lb.

If that bike fits you, you'll enjoy it a lot...it has an adventure/endurance geometry. So, if you can get a full Ultegra, it can be a good deal. The tubes look strong enough, good welding. It was sold only in 2019. The only problem that I had was a bent and broken rear derailleur hanger two months after I built it. I got a pair, very good ones from a Canadian brand.


Marco.
marcoguzm is offline  
Old 01-23-21, 07:12 PM
  #13  
rossiny
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 719

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by marcoguzm View Post
Last year, in August, I bought a Linskey Premier frameset, and put parts from an Iron Horse Victory with Scandium tubes that had broken. I had to buy some parts too. It has a mixture of parts: Dura Ace and Ultegra shifters, ultegra brakes, sora front derailleur, XT rear derailleur, XT rear cassette (11-34, 9 speed), Spa Cycles crankset 46/33, XTR pedals, Hunt Aero Wheelset, Omni Ti bottom bracket. It's a delightful bike, very good for climbing, good in the flats, I enjoy it very much, it's been with me for more than a year. Basically, it's a Mosaic Cycles RT2...with some minor differences. Mine is 56 cm, I'm 5'10", around 155 lb.

If that bike fits you, you'll enjoy it a lot...it has an adventure/endurance geometry. So, if you can get a full Ultegra, it can be a good deal. The tubes look strong enough, good welding. It was sold only in 2019. The only problem that I had was a bent and broken rear derailleur hanger two months after I built it. I got a pair, very good ones from aian brand.


Marco.
I to am looking at a used Lynskey Premier. Any info would be appreciated, the last new bike I bought was a 1980s Rossin, with camp super record. What is adventure /endurance geometry?? . I am older and looking for comfort, possible road and gravel. I do have a vintage Paramount , and Trek mountain bike both steel which can do gravel , but probably nit suited to longer road rides. Can this double as a light touring bike, , not camping just touring ?? Thanks
ps , what's a fair price in a used one , low miles ?
​​​​​​​
rossiny is offline  
Old 01-23-21, 08:15 PM
  #14  
marcoguzm
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Linskey Premier

Originally Posted by rossiny View Post
I to am looking at a used Lynskey Premier. Any info would be appreciated, the last new bike I bought was a 1980s Rossin, with camp super record. What is adventure /endurance geometry?? . I am older and looking for comfort, possible road and gravel. I do have a vintage Paramount , and Trek mountain bike both steel which can do gravel , but probably nit suited to longer road rides. Can this double as a light touring bike, , not camping just touring ?? Thanks
ps , what's a fair price in a used one , low miles ?
An adventure/endurance geometry is more relaxed than a typical road racing geometry. So, you can have longer rides, and not get beaten up by the distance, time, and the road. This bike doesn't have rack o mudguards mounts, so it's use as a light touring bike would be limited. But, you can have long rides, and enjoy it very much. It's designed for tarmac roads, good or bad...but not for gravel. I've used in some short gravel roads, but my tires 25C are not good for that purpose. It can take 28C tires.
I don't have a good idea about a fair price. I paid 1,250 for the frameset, with an Enve Carbon fork, in August 2019. It was only sold that year by Linskey. If it has an Ultegra, 1,500 USD would be a good price for me...you've got to think also in the quality of the wheelset.
Good luck!
​​​​​​​Marco.
marcoguzm is offline  
Old 01-23-21, 08:43 PM
  #15  
rossiny
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 719

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by marcoguzm View Post
An adventure/endurance geometry is more relaxed than a typical road racing geometry. So, you can have longer rides, and not get beaten up by the distance, time, and the road. This bike doesn't have rack o mudguards mounts, so it's use as a light touring bike would be limited. But, you can have long rides, and enjoy it very much. It's designed for tarmac roads, good or bad...but not for gravel. I've used in some short gravel roads, but my tires 25C are not good for that purpose. It can take 28C tires.
I don't have a good idea about a fair price. I paid 1,250 for the frameset, with an Enve Carbon fork, in August 2019. It was only sold that year by Linskey. If it has an Ultegra, 1,500 USD would be a good price for me...you've got to think also in the quality of the wheelset.
Good luck!
Marco.
wheel set is DT Swiss and full Campy Chorus, he is asking north of 1500,, looking for 2k from what he told me . I like that it takes wider wheels , I could do a rear saddle bag or front handle bar bag, for very light tour. I am looking forward to first titanium .
rossiny is offline  
Old 01-24-21, 08:14 AM
  #16  
marcoguzm
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It seems fine.

Originally Posted by rossiny View Post
wheel set is DT Swiss and full Campy Chorus, he is asking north of 1500,, looking for 2k from what he told me . I like that it takes wider wheels , I could do a rear saddle bag or front handle bar bag, for very light tour. I am looking forward to first titanium .
With a full Campy Chorus and a DT Swiss, it seems to be a good price, you may negotiate a lower price, since it is used. You've got to be certain it will fit you. This is the geometry of the bike:

marcoguzm is offline  
Old 01-24-21, 09:02 AM
  #17  
rossiny
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 719

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 65 Posts
Thanks for info, may be taking ride out to see, not to much info out there on this model. .
rossiny is offline  
Old 01-24-21, 09:23 AM
  #18  
marcoguzm
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good.

Originally Posted by rossiny View Post
Thanks for info, may be taking ride out to see, not to much info out there on this model. .
It took a while, until I found the right spot on my ML size, in particular with the stem angle, height and lenght. The Origin 8 - 90 mm 8, two spacers below was good for me, but I tried some other stems before that one. I'm 5'10", 151 lb. Mine has an Enve 2.0 fork, some other ones had a Linskey fork, which was a cheaper option then. It was only sold in 2019, and if you review the Mosaic Cycles RT-2, you'll see it's almost identical. The Mosaic is a very expensive bicycle.
I use it for riding at some mountains nearby, and sometimes I go to my offcie, it's a fast bicycle on the streets. Hope you enjoy it, it's a good titanium frame.
Marco.
marcoguzm is offline  
Old 01-24-21, 10:03 AM
  #19  
marcoguzm
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
RD hanger.

Originally Posted by rossiny View Post
Thanks for info, may be taking ride out to see, not to much info out there on this model. .
This is the only piece I had to change, the original one, bent and then broke. This has a much stroger alloy.
marcoguzm is offline  
Old 01-24-21, 11:19 AM
  #20  
rossiny
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 719

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 65 Posts
Just noticed it says straight gage tubing on the RT2, is it the same on the Premier and does it matter on titanium?

Last edited by rossiny; 01-24-21 at 11:23 AM.
rossiny is offline  
Old 01-24-21, 07:42 PM
  #21  
marcoguzm
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes

Originally Posted by rossiny View Post
Just noticed it says straight gage tubing on the RT2, is it the same on the Premier and does it matter on titanium?
Yes, it has straight gauge tubes, like the Mosaic RT-2. The Mosaic RT-1 has butted tubes, which makes a lighter frame. The straight gauge tubes could make a stronger frame, not as light as with butted tubes.
Marco.
marcoguzm is offline  
Old 01-24-21, 08:08 PM
  #22  
rossiny
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 719

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 65 Posts
Hmm ,, surprised, is that a drawback on responsiveness or just weight?
rossiny is offline  
Old 01-24-21, 10:34 PM
  #23  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 9,865

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,342 Posts
From Spectrum as in the legend Tom Kellogg:

"What the difference is between straight-gage, butted, and double-butted tubing?"

The answer is pretty simple. Straight gage tubing refers to tubes with a tube-wall of uniform thickness. That means a cross section of the tube at any point along its length would be identical to any other cross section along its length. PVC pipes, conduit, McDonalds drinking straws, and our non-Super framesets all use straight gage tubing.

Butted tubing refers to tubing with thinner tube walls in the middle of their length than at its ends. Butting is simply the best way to make a lighter frame while retaining all of its reliability. The single drawback is of course the costs involved in the butting process.

At Spectrum, we select from both butted and straight-gage tubing when customizing your ideal frame. We use straight-gage tubing on our standard titanium frames while our Supers are built with double butted tubes except for the seat stays (we even double butt the head tube and chain stays.) Durability is not affected by butting, as the highly stressed areas are the thicker butted sections. The advantage of the Super is simply the lower weight. Depending on size, the weight savings is anywhere from 4oz. to over a pound.

But weight is not everything. We can make either type of tubing feel the same by choosing the appropriate diameters and gauges. Because all of our frames are custom made, there is no performance difference between the two custom models. They handle, fit and feel the same and have the same geometry but the Supers feel a little lighter. Still confused? Give us a call.
veganbikes is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.