Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Simple "uglify" your bike project

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Simple "uglify" your bike project

Old 07-06-20, 10:39 PM
  #1  
cubewheels
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 560

Bikes: A really old BMX bike and a 2020 Phantom 20" hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 79 Posts
Simple "uglify" your bike project

I live in a poor neighborhood where bike thefts are quite high, not only that, gangs may also take them from you by force. If that's not enough, neighbors can get insecure so easily if you have something new.

So here's what I did to my bike to make it look a little bit older. Disclaimer: Changes to the appearance could be permanent and may damaged some parts of your bike!

I prepared a mixture of 1 part white enamel paint and 7 parts kerosene and painted the bike frame, rims, tires, cranks, and handle bar with it. NOTE, only put a tiny dab on the paintbrush to avoid drops running down and ruining the art, the mixture is incredibly thin that's why you only need a tiny amount on the paintbrush to avoid drops running down. (colors white and beige is good for dark colored parts of the bike, Dark brown for light colored parts of the bike)

Notice the paint mixture is incredibly thin - it is mostly kerosene so that the mixture will look like dust or even dried mud, aluminum corrosion, faded paint, and even damage/scratch/abrasion on the paint. Note, the paint mixture will also remove the gloss! Brush in one direction. To make it appear like rubbed or even a scratch, wait 2 to 3 minutes for paint to dry a bit and then brush again (without putting any additional paint on the brush)

The entire job takes less than 20 minutes and makes your bike look probably 5 years older!

BEFORE UGLIFY:


AFTER UGLIFY:

Last edited by cubewheels; 07-06-20 at 11:48 PM.
cubewheels is offline  
Old 07-07-20, 12:41 AM
  #2  
gravel.n.mud
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
But I hate riding ugly bikes
gravel.n.mud is offline  
Likes For gravel.n.mud:
Old 07-07-20, 01:39 AM
  #3  
Ross520
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 99 Posts
Yes, we get it, you bike is ugly and now you're making it even uglier.

It is, however, utterly perplexing to me why a grown-man is riding around on a child's bike with the saddle jacked-up to moon.

I've seen plenty of pictures of people riding bicycles in poorer parts of the world, and they sure don't look like yours.

Part of me wonders if this is all some elaborate troll.
Ross520 is offline  
Likes For Ross520:
Old 07-07-20, 03:34 AM
  #4  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 27,532
Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11755 Post(s)
Liked 3,575 Times in 1,903 Posts
Donít see any appreciable difference between before and after. Ugly is ugly.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-07-20, 05:11 AM
  #5  
shelbyfv
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,172
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1810 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 672 Posts
Bizarre set up, so ugly and stupid. This is obviously a joke attempt. OP hasn't missed many opportunities to post pics of this abomination. Is my bike worth stealing? and Rinsten spring knockoff nearly knocked me OTB!

Last edited by shelbyfv; 07-07-20 at 05:25 AM.
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-07-20, 06:21 AM
  #6  
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.
 
FiftySix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 1,727

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 705 Posts
If only that bike was steel, then you could give it a rusty finish.


Or just try something like this

FiftySix is offline  
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 07-07-20, 06:27 AM
  #7  
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.
 
FiftySix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 1,727

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 705 Posts
Hmmm. Looks like this is still worth stealing, but . . .

S-Works by Rust Venge

https://www.amazon.com/faux-rust-pai...aux+rust+paint
FiftySix is offline  
Old 07-07-20, 09:38 AM
  #8  
cubewheels
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 560

Bikes: A really old BMX bike and a 2020 Phantom 20" hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520 View Post
Yes, we get it, you bike is ugly and now you're making it even uglier.
Yes, to avoid animosity from neighbors and attracting attention of bike robbery gangs. Animosity can cost you dearly where I live like your house vandalized.


It is, however, utterly perplexing to me why a grown-man is riding around on a child's bike with the saddle jacked-up to moon.
I have many reasons unique to my situation but on top of the list is that adult-size bikes are prime targets for bike robbers and just invite more animosity from crackhead neighbors.

I deliberately have to look goofy and pitiable. It's the only thing that works so far.

Although I managed to get it to fit perfectly. No discomfort of any kind.


I've seen plenty of pictures of people riding bicycles in poorer parts of the world, and they sure don't look like yours.
Most riders in my region are on adult-size bikes. Nevertheless most are cheap and old/rusty. I had to look goofy in addition to avoid animosity.
cubewheels is offline  
Old 07-07-20, 09:54 AM
  #9  
cubewheels
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 560

Bikes: A really old BMX bike and a 2020 Phantom 20" hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
If only that bike was steel, then you could give it a rusty finish.

https://youtu.be/eKUxpdFJ2jo

Or just try something like this

https://youtu.be/R2QzusbKlGM

LOL, that's REAL RUST!!

The only problem is that real rust can migrate to other parts of bike by many different means and can also get to your clothes! I can also be a major annoyance to other bike owners in tight parking arrangements!
cubewheels is offline  
Old 07-07-20, 09:56 AM
  #10  
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.
 
FiftySix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 1,727

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 705 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
LOL, that's REAL RUST!!

The only problem is that real rust can migrate to other parts of bike by many different means and can also get to your clothes! I can also be a major annoyance to other bike owners in tight parking arrangements!
True, it is real rust. It looks like the owners of these projects are spraying over the rust with a clear coat. Probably matte finish.
FiftySix is offline  
Old 07-07-20, 10:12 AM
  #11  
jack pot 
Fxxxxr
 
jack pot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: falfurrias texas
Posts: 595

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 217 Posts
camouflage or uglify that is the question ... 2 live anti aesthetic threads ... i guess y'all ride in shredded jeans & coffee stained wife beaters ...
__________________
... and so it goes
jack pot is offline  
Old 07-07-20, 10:15 AM
  #12  
cubewheels
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 560

Bikes: A really old BMX bike and a 2020 Phantom 20" hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
True, it is real rust. It looks like the owners of these projects are spraying over the rust with a clear coat. Probably matte finish.
At least that would solve the clothes staining problem!
cubewheels is offline  
Old 07-07-20, 10:22 AM
  #13  
phughes
Senior Member
 
phughes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,708
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 152 Posts
I see no appreciable difference at all. It doesn't look older, just slightly dirty. That's a lot of effort for no result.
phughes is offline  
Likes For phughes:
Old 07-07-20, 11:14 AM
  #14  
cubewheels
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 560

Bikes: A really old BMX bike and a 2020 Phantom 20" hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes View Post
I see no appreciable difference at all. It doesn't look older, just slightly dirty. That's a lot of effort for no result.
Looks a lot "dirtier" in person. It's only less than 20 mins work. The paint and kerosene are already in the house. Didn't made any mess at all. I was working on the concrete floor and the diluted paint that went to the floor is the same color as concrete when it dries!

I didn't want rusty style. Once a guy with a very rusty bike parked next to mine, didn't feel good about it. And I don't want to make others feel what I did with a rusty bike parked next to mine so no rusty effects!

Worried that someone could get really annoyed and do bad things to my bike!
cubewheels is offline  
Old 07-07-20, 11:23 AM
  #15  
phughes
Senior Member
 
phughes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,708
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
Looks a lot "dirtier" in person. It's only less than 20 mins work. The paint and kerosene are already in the house. Didn't made any mess at all. I was working on the concrete floor and the diluted paint that went to the floor is the same color as concrete when it dries!

I didn't want rusty style. Once a guy with a very rusty bike parked next to mine, didn't feel good about it. And I don't want to make others feel what I did with a rusty bike parked next to mine so no rusty effects!

Worried that someone could get really annoyed and do bad things to my bike!
It still just looks like a dirty bike. If you want to prevent someone from stealing it, use black tape, the time honored way to camouflage a new bike.
phughes is offline  
Old 07-07-20, 11:24 AM
  #16  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,598

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 802 Posts
With a folding bike, Brompton is the best, you bring it inside with you, to never leave it on the street.
fietsbob is offline  
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 07-07-20, 02:24 PM
  #17  
Pop N Wood
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Maryland
Posts: 508

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor, 70's vintage Schwinn Continental and Suburban

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 115 Posts
Cubewheels posts here quite often, bit eccentric maybe but no troll.

I've been to Manilla, many years ago now but I imagine it is no less poor than when I was there.

Try to not be the ugly Americans.
Pop N Wood is offline  
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 07-07-20, 03:10 PM
  #18  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 27,532
Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11755 Post(s)
Liked 3,575 Times in 1,903 Posts
Sock?
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-07-20, 04:38 PM
  #19  
shelbyfv
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,172
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1810 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 672 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood View Post
Cubewheels posts here quite often, bit eccentric maybe but no troll.
You have insider knowledge of this? Looks like both of you joined last month and have become prolific posters! Hmmmm....
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-07-20, 06:04 PM
  #20  
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here
 
Bryan C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Antioch, CA
Posts: 505
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
I would totally steal that bike.
Bryan C. is offline  
Likes For Bryan C.:
Old 07-07-20, 07:50 PM
  #21  
phughes
Senior Member
 
phughes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,708
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood View Post
Cubewheels posts here quite often, bit eccentric maybe but no troll.

I've been to Manilla, many years ago now but I imagine it is no less poor than when I was there.

Try to not be the ugly Americans.
How is anyone being an "ugly American?" Personally I take offense to that, and I've been to Manila as well, and it is actually a very big, bustling city. I have many friends there as well. I guess my question is, what does any of that have to do with the opinion that the way the OP "aged" his bike, made no appreciable difference? I think the basic method he used could be used to make a bike look old, but he missed his mark. There is not a big enough difference to make it usefull. Now, one could certainly use paint to "age" a bike, and many use that technique on models to age them, but t the OP's bike still looks basically the same as it did. It just looks slightly dirty. I would go further with the effect if I were doing it.

Last edited by phughes; 07-07-20 at 07:54 PM.
phughes is offline  
Likes For phughes:
Old 07-07-20, 08:08 PM
  #22  
cubewheels
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 560

Bikes: A really old BMX bike and a 2020 Phantom 20" hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes View Post
It still just looks like a dirty bike. If you want to prevent someone from stealing it, use black tape, the time honored way to camouflage a new bike.
The tape would just fall off and leave a very sticky mess in the 120 'F heat. Conditions I ride in. High noon sun.
cubewheels is offline  
Old 07-07-20, 08:20 PM
  #23  
phughes
Senior Member
 
phughes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,708
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
The tape would just fall off and leave a very sticky mess in the 120 'F heat. Conditions I ride in. High noon sun.
No it won't. I rode in the same conditions and as long as you get good black tape, it will be fine. In fact, the black tape on my motorcycles, near the engine, holds up just fine, and it i hotter near the engine than your bike will ever get in the heat of the day. If you can find 3M electrical tape, it is probably the best.

Sorry I think your bike still looks basically the same. It does. That isn't to diminish the idea behind what you did, it is just you didn't go far enough, and the bike still looks new, just slightly dirty. It is a good technique if you go far enough. You don't have to spend your time trying to convince me, you won't, I saw the picture. I just don't think what you did to the bike did anything to diminish its potential value to a thief.

Last edited by phughes; 07-07-20 at 08:28 PM.
phughes is offline  
Likes For phughes:
Old 07-07-20, 08:39 PM
  #24  
cubewheels
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 560

Bikes: A really old BMX bike and a 2020 Phantom 20" hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes View Post
How is anyone being an "ugly American?" Personally I take offense to that, and I've been to Manila as well, and it is actually a very big, bustling city. I have many friends there as well. I guess my question is, what does any of that have to do with the opinion that the way the OP "aged" his bike, made no appreciable difference? I think the basic method he used could be used to make a bike look old, but he missed his mark. There is not a big enough difference to make it usefull. Now, one could certainly use paint to "age" a bike, and many use that technique on models to age them, but t the OP's bike still looks basically the same as it did. It just looks slightly dirty. I would go further with the effect if I were doing it.
We have more middle class citizens now and lots of nice condos but social inequality is just as bad or worse today.

I just happen to live in the uglier side of town. I ride mostly in the richer parts of the city to avoid gangs. But the bike can still get stolen if buying groceries and leaving it outside.

The uglify mod is mostly to address the parking and avoid attracting animosity from neighbors. "Crab mentality" is very strong in the poor side of town and don't want to show off anything shiny. It's what kept me from riding for 25 years and also the gang issue until the Covid situation forced me to ride again due to lack of public transportation at first. One month into the activity I've been making huge improvements in peak power output and decided to stick with it. I simply kept changing routes and went out at high noon sun where I don't expect to see gangs so they won't notice.
cubewheels is offline  
Old 07-07-20, 08:47 PM
  #25  
phughes
Senior Member
 
phughes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,708
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
We have more middle class citizens now and lots of nice condos but social inequality is just as bad or worse today.

I just happen to live in the uglier side of town. I ride mostly in the richer parts of the city to avoid gangs. But the bike can still get stolen if buying groceries and leaving it outside.

The uglify mod is mostly to address the parking and avoid attracting animosity from neighbors. "Crab mentality" is very strong in the poor side of town and don't want to show off anything shiny. It's what kept me from riding for 25 years and also the gang issue until the Covid situation forced me to ride again due to lack of public transportation at first. One month into the activity I've been making huge improvements in peak power output and decided to stick with it. I simply kept changing routes and went out at high noon sun where I don't expect to see gangs so they won't notice.
Okay... I am very aware of the conditions in Manila. I have been there, have many friends there, and I actually like the city, though I prefer Cebu. Now, once again, no one has said anything negative about Manila, and no one became, "an ugly American."

Your reasons to do what you did to your bike are very valid, people all over the world do the same thing. People in New York do it. People in Miami do it. People in small towns do it. The only thing anyone here has said, is that your bike doesn't look enough different from the way it did, to deter anyone from stealing it. It still looks basically the same.
phughes is offline  
Likes For phughes:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.