Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling during Covid and looking even remotely Asian

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling during Covid and looking even remotely Asian

Old 07-21-20, 11:43 AM
  #1  
b88
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Cycling during Covid and looking even remotely Asian

Since Covid started I used to get the occasional racist comments thrown my way. I shrugged it off and went about my business. Even the president of the US can endorse such behavoir, how are you going to blame the common folks. But now there is not a cycling day that goes by where I encounter racist/hate comments. 90% of the people ranting out this abuse are older people of caucasian descent. Yesterday on the trails, a senior white couple yelled out at me, "Get the hell out of here". Where exactly am I to go. I was born in this country. I never been to China.
b88 is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 11:53 AM
  #2  
Troul
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 2,233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 142 Posts
Best to report it to your local law enforcement. Write a letter to your state officials.
Troul is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 11:55 AM
  #3  
freeranger
Senior Member
 
freeranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,720

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 147 Posts
Sorry to hear that's happening to you, or anyone. Stupidity takes all forms.
freeranger is offline  
Likes For freeranger:
Old 07-21-20, 11:57 AM
  #4  
BNSF
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 42 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by b88 View Post
But now there is not a cycling day that goes by where I encounter racist/hate comments.
Is this what you mean? There are no days where you hear racist comments?
BNSF is offline  
Likes For BNSF:
Old 07-21-20, 12:11 PM
  #5  
RGMN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Western 'burbs of TC,MN
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by b88 View Post
Yesterday on the trails, a senior white couple yelled out at me, "Get the hell out of here". Where exactly am I to go. I was born in this country. I never been to China.
I tell them I'll leave when they leave. It usually leaves them befuddled. And they usually aren't smart enough to figure it out.
RGMN is offline  
Likes For RGMN:
Old 07-21-20, 12:20 PM
  #6  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,961
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 1,083 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians View Post
Learning to ignore stupid people is both an art and a blessing. It has lately become very fashionable to hurl racial slurs at ALL races by ALL races so don’t feel singled out anymore than the rest.
Life is too short to let someone else control you so......don’t.
Even if this were true (which it's not), it wouldn't justify racism.

Hell, I'm not even sure that there ARE "racial slurs" for white people...None that compare with words that are routinely thrown at (and about) non-whites.

Last edited by Koyote; 07-21-20 at 02:59 PM.
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-21-20, 12:21 PM
  #7  
b88
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BNSF View Post
Is this what you mean? There are no days where you hear racist comments?
Yes, I didn't proof read b4 posting. Thanks.
b88 is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 12:22 PM
  #8  
bikecrate
Senior Member
 
bikecrate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: LF, APMAT
Posts: 2,514
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 147 Times in 94 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience. Sadly, it will probably get worse before it get better since it is in certain political interest to find scapegoats right now...but it will get better.
bikecrate is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 12:31 PM
  #9  
icemilkcoffee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
That's horrible. Where do you live that this is happening on a daily basis?
Of course, the irony is you cannot 'go back to China' because they don't allow American travelers into China right now. They have beaten the coronavirus. The US is the hot spot right now.
icemilkcoffee is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 12:36 PM
  #10  
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,655

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2392 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 833 Times in 562 Posts
b88, we are getting to see the underbelly of this democracy out in the light. The good thing is that it is out in the light and being seen. What sucks is that it is also being experinced by people like you openly like many of have never seen before.

I say "good thing" because until something is seen clearly and talked about, it never changes. This administration is bring our core racism, solidly planted deep in our Constitution out in the light. Assuming we make it the next 20 years, we will be looking back at this time as being as big a healing and unifying force as the Depression and WW2. Civil Rights. But the process sucks. I"m sorry you got to see it.

Ben
79pmooney is online now  
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-21-20, 12:41 PM
  #11  
FlMTNdude
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Gainesville FL
Posts: 519

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
It has to be difficult on the receiving end, I am sorry you have to deal with it. My wife and I are Anglo; our families (and friends as well) include Black, Hispanic, Asian, Native American and Mexican. I just cringe when people say things like that, and wonder if they would say that to or around me if my grandchildren were with me. Last I knew my family was all human.
FlMTNdude is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 12:44 PM
  #12  
moleman123
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Lets hope Trump is a loser soon and we get a proper President again who seeks to unite rather than divide.
moleman123 is offline  
Likes For moleman123:
Old 07-21-20, 12:48 PM
  #13  
boilermaker1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I can't even identify Armenians and Israelis, much less hassle them.

Last edited by boilermaker1; 07-21-20 at 02:13 PM.
boilermaker1 is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 01:11 PM
  #14  
shelbyfv
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,172
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1810 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 672 Posts
Originally Posted by b88 View Post
Yesterday on the trails, a senior white couple yelled out at me, "Get the hell out of here".
Assuming you weren't cycling on a hiking-only trail, the correct response would have been "OK Boomer...."
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-21-20, 01:13 PM
  #15  
RGMN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Western 'burbs of TC,MN
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians View Post
Learning to ignore stupid people is both an art and a blessing. It has lately become very fashionable to hurl racial slurs at ALL races by ALL races so don’t feel singled out anymore than the rest.
Life is too short to let someone else control you so......don’t.
I used to think ignoring it would help. It doesn't, it only solidifies a racist's beliefs.

The funny thing is, and it's only taken me about 50 years to learn this, is that, as a racial minority, I have extraordinary power over people that make comments like this. I get to be me and frighten the hell out them simply by being me. I live rent-free in their head, scaring them every time they turn a corner and encounter "one of us." They are much more frightened of you than you ever will be of them. Use it to your advantage. I once made a guy piss in his pants because I walked out the restroom as he was walking in, and he wouldn't use the same facilities as one of "those people." Served him right.
RGMN is offline  
Likes For RGMN:
Old 07-21-20, 03:37 PM
  #16  
Gconan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 629

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
I cannot believe people are blaming this on the President. The President has nothing to do with it. Those are low down political shots. Blame, blame, blame the President. Sounds kinda dumb. Doesn't matter who is the president, same comments would have happened.

To the original poster why let it bother you? You could have responded by saying "why"? You could have engaged them in conversation and given good answers to their ignorance. They would realize they were being stupid. Don't let them bother you, you are the better person.
Gconan is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 04:03 PM
  #17  
MattTheHat 
Senior Member
 
MattTheHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 1,575

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 1,456 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by Gconan View Post
To the original poster why let it bother you? You could have responded by saying "why"? You could have engaged them in conversation and given good answers to their ignorance. They would realize they were being stupid. Don't let them bother you, you are the better person.
Oh I don’t know, maybe because having racist comments thrown at you sucks?

Yes, stopping to talk to the racists will cure them. Sure. Have you not seen all the viral Karen videos? Did the Karens seem to magically become educated?

To the OP, I’m sorry you’re having to deal with this. I can only hope that it’s only a tiny minority of people that are truly that stupid.
__________________
MattTheHat is offline  
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 07-21-20, 04:10 PM
  #18  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,598

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,278 Times in 798 Posts
As a country built by Immigrants there is a sad history and a habit of pitting one group against the other..
saying anything more this should be moved to P&R . https://www.bikeforums.net/politics-religion
fietsbob is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 04:16 PM
  #19  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,961
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 1,083 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Gconan View Post
I cannot believe people are blaming this on the President. The President has nothing to do with it. Those are low down political shots. Blame, blame, blame the President. Sounds kinda dumb. Doesn't matter who is the president, same comments would have happened.

To the original poster why let it bother you? You could have responded by saying "why"? You could have engaged them in conversation and given good answers to their ignorance. They would realize they were being stupid. Don't let them bother you, you are the better person.
Actually, there have been several news articles (in reputable outlets) noting that Trump's repeated use of the term "China Virus" and other disparaging comments about China have encouraged racism towards Asians...Many experts have confirmed this conclusion. Here is a link to one such article that does not have a paywall.
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-21-20, 04:34 PM
  #20  
spelger
Senior Member
 
spelger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: reno, nv
Posts: 394

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
Actually, there have been several news articles (in reputable outlets) noting that Trump's repeated use of the term "China Virus" and other disparaging comments about China have encouraged racism towards Asians...Many experts have confirmed this conclusion. Here is a link to one such article that does not have a paywall.
I do wish he would shut the heck up at times. But really, naming a virus after its first discovery is not out of the ordinary. Lyme disease, Ebola, west Nile come to mind. Sure there are others.
spelger is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 04:37 PM
  #21  
spelger
Senior Member
 
spelger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: reno, nv
Posts: 394

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger View Post
I do wish he would shut the heck up at times. But really, naming a virus after its first discovery is not out of the ordinary. Lyme disease, Ebola, west Nile come to mind. Sure there are others.
I'll add that I have heard the term wuhan flu which sounds like an intentional dig. Because we are made up from so many people's I often wonder if harmony will ever get here.
spelger is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 04:41 PM
  #22  
shelbyfv
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,172
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1810 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 672 Posts
Kind of ironic that someone with "88" in his user name would complain about racism.... https://www.adl.org/education/refere...ymbols/88:foo:
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-21-20, 04:58 PM
  #23  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,961
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 1,083 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger View Post
I do wish he would shut the heck up at times. But really, naming a virus after its first discovery is not out of the ordinary. Lyme disease, Ebola, west Nile come to mind. Sure there are others.
There are some pretty obvious differences between Trump’s use of the term “China virus” and those other examples...For example, Trump uses that term to deflect blame for his own utter failures to respond to the pandemic.

Besides, it’s actually called “Coronavirus.”
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-21-20, 04:59 PM
  #24  
scott967
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Oahu, HI
Posts: 1,224

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
So
"Get the hell out of here"
is a racist comment. OK got it. How about "Get off the road effing (hawaian word commonly directed at Caucasians but is banned here)"

scott s.
.
scott967 is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 05:23 PM
  #25  
downhillmaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 964
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by b88 View Post
Since Covid started I used to get the occasional racist comments thrown my way. I shrugged it off and went about my business. Even the president of the US can endorse such behavoir, how are you going to blame the common folks. But now there is not a cycling day that goes by where I encounter racist/hate comments. 90% of the people ranting out this abuse are older people of caucasian descent. Yesterday on the trails, a senior white couple yelled out at me, "Get the hell out of here". Where exactly am I to go. I was born in this country. I never been to China.
cool story bro.
downhillmaster is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.