Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is your solution for riding in a spot with low reception?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What is your solution for riding in a spot with low reception?

Old 08-04-20, 12:26 PM
  #126  
BoraxKid
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 89 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85 View Post
A lot of lot rides are in country rodes and often times there’s no cell phone service. What is your plan?
Keep riding until I'm back in civilization.
BoraxKid is offline  
Likes For BoraxKid:
Old 08-05-20, 01:13 AM
  #127  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,620

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3688 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 832 Posts
Google Fi offers more flexibility for coverage so you're less likely to be without phone use for long. Phone selection is a bit limited but worth considering if you travel a lot or ride through areas with spotty coverage.

An old trick that used to work with some phones and networks would be to go to the phone settings and switch between LTE, 3G and 2G until you got a connection. I've had to do that in some dead spots while traveling. Sometimes it worked just well enough to get a call or text through even when data was inaccessible or sluggish.
canklecat is offline  
Old 08-05-20, 05:01 AM
  #128  
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 7,707

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3975 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85 View Post
What do you do if you get injured and can’t ride? There’s no app?
Yes.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 08-05-20, 05:08 AM
  #129  
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 7,707

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3975 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,614 Posts
I wear a 5G tower on my head. It serves 2 purposes -great reception and running from crazed conspiracy theorists is great motivation for intense intervals.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-06-20, 12:10 PM
  #130  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 10,704

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4214 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 774 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
The only good reason to carry a phone while cycling is for emergencies, I really don't see any other good reasons why a cyclists would carry a phone. If they carry a phone for entertainment then it means that their ride is very dull and boring or they have a serious addiction to social media.
- take pictures to remember sights.
- take pictures to show others.
- receive phone calls for life outside of cycling. Calls for work or home life for example.
- update someone on location for setting plans after cycling.
- Google maps for location and directions at unonown intersections.
- and of course your favorite...music!


All are completely reasonable and there is no need to snidely comment that someone who chooses to carry a phone is addicted to social media or is on a boring ride.
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-06-20, 12:49 PM
  #131  
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,743
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2248 Post(s)
Liked 242 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Google Fi offers more flexibility for coverage so you're less likely to be without phone use for long. Phone selection is a bit limited but worth considering if you travel a lot or ride through areas with spotty coverage.
It uses networks that have better coverage in metro areas. It probably doesn't beat Verizon and ATT for overall coverage (outside of metro areas).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google...S.%20Cellular.

Google Fi uses networks operated by Sprint, T-Mobile, and U.S. Cellular.
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
An old trick that used to work with some phones and networks would be to go to the phone settings and switch between LTE, 3G and 2G until you got a connection. I've had to do that in some dead spots while traveling. Sometimes it worked just well enough to get a call or text through even when data was inaccessible or sluggish.
The phones do this automatically. Voice (generally) and SMS text don't use a data connection. Old phones can do these things without a data plan.

Text is more reliable than voice. That is, text might work when voice doesn't.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-06-20 at 06:51 PM.
njkayaker is online now  
Old 08-06-20, 01:12 PM
  #132  
MattTheHat 
Senior Member
 
MattTheHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 1,566

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 1,424 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
All are completely reasonable and there is no need to snidely comment that someone who chooses to carry a phone is addicted to social media or is on a boring ride.
Yep, it's the equivalent of yelling "the music is too loud" or "get off my grass". My response from now on is going to be: .
__________________

MattTheHat is offline  
Old 08-06-20, 02:47 PM
  #133  
velopig
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64 View Post
I believe that technology has taken a lot of the adventure out of cycle touring. During the last 10 years my wife and I spent a total of 2 years riding our bikes self supported through 11 countries, including riding across the U.S. and across most of Canada. This amounts to about 25,000 miles. Using the internet took many of the unknowns out of these rides; and many times the unknown enhanced the sense of adventure, and increased serendipity. We had a lot of adventures on our bikes prior to cell phones, but as we got older we have redefined our definition of adventure.

We use our cell phones a lot but sometimes I still feel that I don't need to know: every turn of a route, the elevation profile, exactly where I'm going to sleep that night, the exact route more that 2 days ahead of time, and what the direction and strength of the wind is going to be in the afternoon. The list could go on.

Also, as folks gain confidence the reliance on electronics will become less important. I would not want to go back to to the mode of touring we did 30 years ago. But then again, camping behind a cemetery because we could not any other place to camp provides a little sense of adventure.
Awesome. You are out there doing things and do what works for you. I too am torn between the satisfaction of the undiscovered and the security of following a plan. Many posters on this thread got up my nose as they preach from their Lazyboy Recliners how real men ride without a safety rope because that's what the did back in the 70's.
velopig is offline  
Likes For velopig:
Old 08-06-20, 04:09 PM
  #134  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,620

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3688 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 832 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
The phones do this automatically. Voice (generally) and SMS text don't use a data connection. Old phones can do these things without a data plan...
Depends on the phone and MVNO. I use Mint Mobile, an MVNO of T-Mobile. My Moto E4 that was originally on a Verizon plan, which they unlocked after a few months of use to satisfy their minimum payment. While the phone was technically compatible with GSM and CDMA, I had to manually switch network types to get either optimal voice or data, but couldn't get both simultaneously. To get fastest data I had to switch to 3G, but that hindered some voice calls and too often my phone wouldn't ring, calls would go to voicemail but I wouldn't get a notification for hours. If I switched to LTE calls came through okay but data was slower. Just a weird glitch with some phones on some MVNOs.

Common complaint from many Mint Mobile customers, although it's a good value service otherwise. I just switched to an unlocked Motorola G Power and it's full featured with Mint Mobile, no need to manually fiddle with network settings.

FreedomPop is even weirder, because it's VOIP. It was an MVNO for AT&T, Sprint and others, but has recently changed ownership. It's very glitchy and awkward, but costs only $50 a year for unlimited talk and text and 1 GB data a month (part of which is used by the VOIP). Not great, but not a bad backup phone. I had my old iPhone 4s on it for years, then recently switched my old Moto E4 to it. Sometimes the data speed is faster than Mint Mobile, but voice is very glitchy.
canklecat is offline  
Old 08-06-20, 04:44 PM
  #135  
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,743
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2248 Post(s)
Liked 242 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Depends on the phone and MVNO.
It might depend more on the MVNO (which might be weirder than a standard network). If it's the phone, I'd say that the phone isn't very good.

It's supposed to fall back gracefully with no fiddling. And voice/text is separate from data.

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
FreedomPop is even weirder, because it's VOIP....Sometimes the data speed is faster than Mint Mobile, but voice is very glitchy.
VOIP is pure data. It's not appropriate to depend on it for "low reception" or "remote areas".

Here's a park (the green blob oriented NE) where the reception is poor. Data barely works (if it works at all). It's rather hilly. The park is about 28 miles from the heart of NYC. So, "remote" might not be very remote at all.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=12/41.1961/-74.0818

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-06-20 at 04:59 PM.
njkayaker is online now  
Old 08-06-20, 05:53 PM
  #136  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 10,704

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4214 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 774 Posts
Originally Posted by velopig View Post
Awesome. You are out there doing things and do what works for you. I too am torn between the satisfaction of the undiscovered and the security of following a plan. Many posters on this thread got up my nose as they preach from their Lazyboy Recliners how real men ride without a safety rope because that's what the did back in the 70's.
This is an interesting interpretation.
I viewed it differently. Your comment about it being almost negligent to not use sat tracking was over the top and you were called out for it. But to each their own when it comes to reality.
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-06-20, 06:22 PM
  #137  
velopig
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 83 Posts
Oh. I stand by my statement when in remote areas either hiking or bikepacking imposing on others to determine if something is wrong when you are overdue and then have to go out and find you is irresponsible and selfish. Especially if a reasonable cost alternative is available. Now if you and your family is good with going off the grid solo for a few days or a week then more power to you.
velopig is offline  
Old 08-06-20, 06:57 PM
  #138  
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,743
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2248 Post(s)
Liked 242 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64 View Post
We use our cell phones a lot but sometimes I still feel that I don't need to know: every turn of a route, the elevation profile, exactly where I'm going to sleep that night, the exact route more that 2 days ahead of time, and what the direction and strength of the wind is going to be in the afternoon. The list could go on.
This is a false dilemma: It's not a choice between "nothing" and "everything".

I suspect most people (me being one of them) using GPS aren't using this level of information and having the GPS doesn't keep you from not using it.

The other problem is that, when people ask questions about a technology, they get unhelpful responses telling them that what they want to do is bad.

The other, other problem is people talking about things isn't what the OP is asking about (the OP was talking about cell phone use in an emergency; So it's odd that anybody is talking about GPS).

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-06-20 at 07:03 PM.
njkayaker is online now  
Old 08-06-20, 07:55 PM
  #139  
HD3andMe
You need a Trail Chicken™
 
HD3andMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by velopig View Post
Oh. I stand by my statement when in remote areas either hiking or bikepacking imposing on others to determine if something is wrong when you are overdue and then have to go out and find you is irresponsible and selfish. Especially if a reasonable cost alternative is available. Now if you and your family is good with going off the grid solo for a few days or a week then more power to you.
So. Much. Fear.

(still)
HD3andMe is offline  
Likes For HD3andMe:
Old 08-06-20, 07:57 PM
  #140  
HD3andMe
You need a Trail Chicken™
 
HD3andMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
Eh. I, and I think a lot of others, are inclined to see it as a nice insurance policy that we didn't use to have, but now do. The key is putting it in perspective - I wouldn't skip a ride because my phone is discharged, but my having it makes my wife feel more comfortable with my riding.
You're going on about phones.

Piglet is going on about sat devices like a Spot.

Big difference.

p.s. the other part of the discussion was also about riding where you don't have service, so whether your phone is discharged is moot.
HD3andMe is offline  
Old 08-06-20, 08:04 PM
  #141  
genejockey
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,052

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe View Post
You're going on about phones.

Piglet is going on about sat devices like a Spot.

Big difference.

p.s. the other part of the discussion was also about riding where you don't have service, so whether your phone is discharged is moot.
Riding without a phone means everywhere has no service.
genejockey is offline  
Old 08-06-20, 08:07 PM
  #142  
HD3andMe
You need a Trail Chicken™
 
HD3andMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
Riding without a phone means everywhere has no service.
Ok. Thanks for confirming that you weren't, and still aren't, understanding what is being discussed.
HD3andMe is offline  
Old 08-06-20, 08:11 PM
  #143  
genejockey
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,052

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe View Post
Ok. Thanks for confirming that you weren't, and still aren't, understanding what is being discussed.
Clearly this matters a lot to you. You have fun with that.
genejockey is offline  
Old 08-06-20, 08:53 PM
  #144  
MattTheHat 
Senior Member
 
MattTheHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 1,566

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 1,424 Times in 560 Posts
I’m amazed this thread has survived this long.
__________________

MattTheHat is offline  
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 08-06-20, 11:07 PM
  #145  
Reynolds 
Passista
 
Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,916

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 188 Times in 124 Posts
Maybe some posts in this thread were sent by phone while on a ride.
Reynolds is offline  
Old 08-07-20, 02:42 AM
  #146  
joseruivo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
- take pictures to remember sights.
- take pictures to show others.
- receive phone calls for life outside of cycling. Calls for work or home life for example.
- update someone on location for setting plans after cycling.
- Google maps for location and directions at unonown intersections.
- and of course your favorite...music!


All are completely reasonable and there is no need to snidely comment that someone who chooses to carry a phone is addicted to social media or is on a boring ride.
Add Strava to that - I am curious to know if I am getting faster on certain segments, viewing their inclination, and sharing that data with my Strava friends.
joseruivo is offline  
Old 08-07-20, 03:43 AM
  #147  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,910

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3121 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85 View Post
A lot of lot rides are in country rodes and often times there’s no cell phone service. What is your plan?

Just ride!
Machka is offline  
Old 08-07-20, 04:10 AM
  #148  
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 7,707

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3975 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,614 Posts
BF sure does come up with counter-proof to "there's no such thing as a stupid question."

To the extent there's an actual question worth talking about, if I know or even suspect that my ride is going through a cell phone desert, I make sure I've made myself very familiar with a mapped out route through it. I have been surprised by dropped service while using gps in the past, and it is a problem when the pre-loaded route is not working for some reason. I just switched to main roads in that circumstance, works so far.

I can't imagine caring about whether or not someone else approves of my cell phone use while I'm riding nor do I care whether they see fit to use it themselves. I'm interested in ideas people have used to make their cell phones more useful because I might be able to use those myself.

As usual, people have decided to turn this into an opportunity to moralize. I'm an old fart who got his first cell phone in his forties. It's a tool you either find useful or not. It's not a statement about who you are and how you feel about other people.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-07-20, 04:26 AM
  #149  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,910

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3121 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85 View Post
What do you do if you get injured and can’t ride? There’s no app?
Walk.

I've ridden thousands of kilometres without a phone ... 10s of thousands ... probably close to 100,000.
Machka is offline  
Old 08-07-20, 05:28 AM
  #150  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 27,375
Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11642 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,849 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
As usual, people have decided to turn this into an opportunity to moralize. I'm an old fart who got his first cell phone in his forties. It's a tool you either find useful or not. It's not a statement about who you are and how you feel about other people.
And all in response to an "insincere" thread.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.