Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Talk me out of the Canyon Ultimate CF SL 8.0

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Talk me out of the Canyon Ultimate CF SL 8.0

Old 08-12-20, 05:17 AM
  #26  
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 5,667

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 670 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
Plus, you know what happens when everyone gets thrifty and saves their money?

Higher unemployment. Slow or no economic growth.
I have often thought that if people made smart, cautious, rational purchases our economy would fail.
BobbyG is offline  
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 08-12-20, 05:52 AM
  #27  
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7,248
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,161 Posts
Our one experience with Canyon is that they stand by their warranty, repeatedly. On the other hand, after the third replacement (two rear triangles, one cracked carbon main frame), we cut our losses and sold the bike (Spectral).
Cyclist0108 is offline  
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 08-12-20, 07:42 AM
  #28  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 13,651

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7126 Post(s)
Liked 7,249 Times in 4,070 Posts
It's going to sap your budget for hookers and blow.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-12-20, 08:32 AM
  #29  
barakah
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have seen a Pinarello around the same price! Is the Canyon ultimate rides better than a Pinarello? New to biking please educate me thanks.
barakah is offline  
Old 08-12-20, 10:30 AM
  #30  
bmcer
Senior Member
 
bmcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 406

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by barakah View Post
I have seen a Pinarello around the same price! Is the Canyon ultimate rides better than a Pinarello? New to biking please educate me thanks.
Whether one particular bike "rides better" than another depends entirely on your tastes and your expectations. At the price point we're discussing, I doubt you'll find many truly "bad" bikes. OTOH, there are many folks out there with unrealistic goals and ill-defined preferences.

Know yourself and be honest with yourself about what you want out of a bike. Take the time to learn as much as you can with regard to what bicycle characteristics and technologies best support what you to do with it. Check your finances, and then choose... and don't be surprised if 5 or 10 years down the road, your selection calculus changes completely.

Last edited by bmcer; 08-12-20 at 10:33 AM.
bmcer is offline  
Likes For bmcer:
Old 08-12-20, 11:28 AM
  #31  
ZHVelo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Posts: 788
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 148 Posts
Originally Posted by barakah View Post
I have seen a Pinarello around the same price! Is the Canyon ultimate rides better than a Pinarello? New to biking please educate me thanks.
But which model...
ZHVelo is offline  
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 08-12-20, 12:23 PM
  #32  
barakah
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcer View Post
Whether one particular bike "rides better" than another depends entirely on your tastes and your expectations. At the price point we're discussing, I doubt you'll find many truly "bad" bikes. OTOH, there are many folks out there with unrealistic goals and ill-defined preferences.

Know yourself and be honest with yourself about what you want out of a bike. Take the time to learn as much as you can with regard to what bicycle characteristics and technologies best support what you to do with it. Check your finances, and then choose... and don't be surprised if 5 or 10 years down the road, your selection calculus changes completely.

bmcer thank you for responding! Also thank you for your great advice and I will do just what you said. Iím on a Walmart gravel bike and I commute to work daily and I average 40 miles a day on my bike, I am new to biking donít know anything about it except I know I could use a lighter bike maybe I could travel longer and further. I am hitting my goal and my body is looking much healthier and Iím in my mid 40s. Iím poor man but Iím willing to scrap some coin so I could finally feel what itís like to ride a real bike thank you.

Last edited by barakah; 08-12-20 at 01:31 PM.
barakah is offline  
Old 08-12-20, 12:25 PM
  #33  
barakah
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo View Post
But which model...
Sir I didnít know they have models! Excuse me for being uneducated about bikes, I will call them the shop right away and find out the model thank you ZHVelo for your reply.
barakah is offline  
Old 08-12-20, 12:45 PM
  #34  
barakah
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo View Post
But which model...
Pinarello Prince Without the disc! What do you think Velo? Is that better than Canyon ultimate? Thank you.

also to bmcer Sir I would like you opinion please thank you.
barakah is offline  
Old 08-12-20, 01:12 PM
  #35  
DMC707 
Senior Member
 
DMC707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 5,179

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1691 Post(s)
Liked 980 Times in 657 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
I have often thought that if people made smart, cautious, rational purchases our economy would fail.

LOL -- that is a good way of looking at it
DMC707 is offline  
Old 08-12-20, 03:01 PM
  #36  
bmcer
Senior Member
 
bmcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 406

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by barakah View Post
bmcer thank you for responding! Also thank you for your great advice and I will do just what you said. Iím on a Walmart gravel bike and I commute to work daily and I average 40 miles a day on my bike, I am new to biking donít know anything about it except I know I could use a lighter bike maybe I could travel longer and further. I am hitting my goal and my body is looking much healthier and Iím in my mid 40s. Iím poor man but Iím willing to scrap some coin so I could finally feel what itís like to ride a real bike thank you.
PM sent
bmcer is offline  
Likes For bmcer:
Old 08-12-20, 03:27 PM
  #37  
barakah
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
bmcer I tried opening my inbox and it is not allowing me as I have less than 10 post, Iím sorry.
barakah is offline  
Old 08-12-20, 05:36 PM
  #38  
bmcer
Senior Member
 
bmcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 406

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
No worries... Here's the full text.

First things first. I am NO expert. I'm not even particularly smart. But at age 72, I'd have to be really stupid not to have learned a lesson or two in that amount of time. Some of it even applies to cycling

There's a bewildering array of bicycles and vendors out there competing for your hard earned cash, and they'll lean on market buzz as much as real technology to get your attention. I'll try to help you separate the wheat from some of the chaff.

Since you sited weight as one of your main considerations, let discuss it first. On flat courses at fairly constant speeds, weight really doesn't make a helluva lot of difference. A lighter bike will most likely feel more responsive, but in reality unless you do a lot of climbing or do a lot of acceleration/deceleration (think criterion racing), a feather weight bike isn't going to make you any faster. And not all weight is equal. Rotating weight carries more of a penalty that static weight. Taking half a Kg off wheels will have more effect than the same half a kilo off the frame. That said, dropping a few pounds in body weight trumps everything. Just be aware that as a general rule, low weight comes at the cost of overall strength, "stiffness", and durability. Yes, there are materials and methods of construction that can bend the weight/strength curve, but unless you throw down a lot of 1500+ watt sprints, they are pretty irrelevant.

Where straight line raw speed is concerned, aerodynamics play a much more significant role than weight by a large margin. BUT... don't be seduced by claims of aerodynamic design saving you X watts. The vast majority of those claims are made for speeds at or above 25 mph. Read the fine print. At even just 5 mph slower, the numbers are much more modest since aerodynamic resistance vs speed are exponentially related, i.e. going twice as fast creates 4 times as much resistance. So if you're going to be cruising around at 25 - 30 mph, aerodynamics are a big deal. If you're more like me (I typically average somewhere between 15 and 20 mph on a 40 mile ride), it's a lot less meaningful.

How does comfort fit into the equation? Well, your age and physical condition has a lot to do with it. When I was under 50 y/o, I was perfectly comfy down on the drops and riding the rivet all day. I was 6'-0" and weighed maybe 155 wringing wet with my clothes on. 30 years later, I'm 20 pounds heavier, and inch shorter, and not quite so flexible as I was then. So a more upright position is far more tolerable over long distances. A bike with a bit less reach and a bit more stack, and a longer wheel base is more to my liking these days. And wider, lower pressure tires are also desirable if you're looking for a smooth ride. Again, there are many claims made for certain types of materials and construction methods in terms of "compliance", but in the end your own condition and softer tires will have the greatest effect on your freshness upon arrival.

And we haven't even broached the subject of cost. Or aesthetic appeal. Those are just too personal for a text-only environment. Maybe over a cold one after a shared ride, but give the current situation, that'll just have to wait Meantime, don't take my word for it. Get as many opinions as can and cultivate a healthy skepticism. It is a sort of hydraulic problem. You push in at one place, and it pops out somewhere else. Don't let that frustrate you. It is, as is often said, the journey, not the destination.

Last edited by bmcer; 08-12-20 at 06:19 PM.
bmcer is offline  
Likes For bmcer:
Old 08-12-20, 06:29 PM
  #39  
Mulberry20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by barakah View Post
Pinarello Prince Without the disc! What do you think Velo? Is that better than Canyon ultimate? Thank you.

also to bmcer Sir I would like you opinion please thank you.
The 2021 Prince is out with disk brakes the MSRP is $4500. The frame is new this year. It does not come with rim brakes this year. You should look at the 2021 Pinarello Paris too.
Mulberry20 is offline  
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 08-13-20, 12:30 AM
  #40  
ZHVelo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Posts: 788
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 148 Posts
Originally Posted by barakah View Post
Pinarello Prince Without the disc! What do you think Velo? Is that better than Canyon ultimate? Thank you.

also to bmcer Sir I would like you opinion please thank you.
I do not know which one rides better, but certainly this Canyon Ultimate has better specs and is lighter.
ZHVelo is offline  
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 08-13-20, 09:11 AM
  #41  
barakah
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo View Post
I do not know which one rides better, but certainly this Canyon Ultimate has better specs and is lighter.
Thank you ZHVelo! I am leaning towards The Canyon Ultimate and heard how they have good warranties plus my Mentor rides one and will do the same. Thanks for reply.
barakah is offline  
Old 08-13-20, 09:34 AM
  #42  
capt_velo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Colleyville, Texas
Posts: 107

Bikes: 1988 Gitane Exploit, 2016 Trek Top Fuel 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 23 Posts
I'm not a fan of that aero cockpit. This is a gravel bike!
capt_velo is offline  
Old 08-13-20, 11:09 AM
  #43  
bmcer
Senior Member
 
bmcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 406

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
Capt_Velo, me niether, but...

Barakah,

The short version is I bought a Canyon Endurance CF SL 8.0. Essentially the same bike as the Ultimate with a geometry better suited to a more upright position. I am extremely happy with this bike. It checked all the boxes that are important to me for $400 to $800 less than anything else that came close. (That matters to us fixed income retirees ) Canyon maintained good communication throughout the process and delivery was quick. I have done my own wrenching and wheel building for 40+ years, so I'm not too concerned about on-going service. In my time, I've owned a Bruce Gordon custom steel bike, one Trek, 2 Pinarello's (A Paris and a Dogma), a Wilier, a BMC Teammachine SLR01, and now a Canyon. They were all great bikes that fit my needs and wants for a particular time in my cycling "career" to varying degrees. As I've aged, I've become a bit more thoughtful about my choices. So I think the Canyon is one of, if not the best match ever. Being a sentimental old fart, I still ride the Bruce Gordon from time to time as a little walk down memory lane, and the BMC still gets out to play when I feel like going hard. But the Canyon will be my go to ride for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by bmcer; 08-13-20 at 11:18 AM.
bmcer is offline  
Likes For bmcer:
Old 08-14-20, 11:31 AM
  #44  
barakah
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcer View Post
Capt_Velo, me niether, but...

Barakah,

The short version is I bought a Canyon Endurance CF SL 8.0. Essentially the same bike as the Ultimate with a geometry better suited to a more upright position. I am extremely happy with this bike. It checked all the boxes that are important to me for $400 to $800 less than anything else that came close. (That matters to us fixed income retirees ) Canyon maintained good communication throughout the process and delivery was quick. I have done my own wrenching and wheel building for 40+ years, so I'm not too concerned about on-going service. In my time, I've owned a Bruce Gordon custom steel bike, one Trek, 2 Pinarello's (A Paris and a Dogma), a Wilier, a BMC Teammachine SLR01, and now a Canyon. They were all great bikes that fit my needs and wants for a particular time in my cycling "career" to varying degrees. As I've aged, I've become a bit more thoughtful about my choices. So I think the Canyon is one of, if not the best match ever. Being a sentimental old fart, I still ride the Bruce Gordon from time to time as a little walk down memory lane, and the BMC still gets out to play when I feel like going hard. But the Canyon will be my go to ride for the foreseeable future.
The mentor I was referring was you!!! You said not too smart and you almost had me fooled, I know a intelligent individual when they start speaking; nice sets of rides you have as I am also liking the Canyon Ultimate.

i rode back to the shop and checked out the prince and dogma and I was blown how nice they look but as I read more about the Canyon and itís warranty I am starting to like the Canyon Ultimate CF.

Last edited by barakah; 08-14-20 at 11:41 AM.
barakah is offline  
Likes For barakah:
Old 08-14-20, 11:59 AM
  #45  
Mulberry20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by barakah View Post
The mentor I was referring was you!!! You said not too smart and you almost had me fooled, I know a intelligent individual when they start speaking; nice sets of rides you have as I am also liking the Canyon Ultimate.

i rode back to the shop and checked out the prince and dogma and I was blown how nice they look but as I read more about the Canyon and itís warranty I am starting to like the Canyon Ultimate CF.
What is lacking in Pinarelloís warranty or the shopís level of service?
Mulberry20 is offline  
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 08-14-20, 01:56 PM
  #46  
bmcer
Senior Member
 
bmcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 406

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by barakah View Post
The mentor I was referring was you!!! You said not too smart and you almost had me fooled, I know a intelligent individual when they start speaking; nice sets of rides you have as I am also liking the Canyon Ultimate.

i rode back to the shop and checked out the prince and dogma and I was blown how nice they look but as I read more about the Canyon and it’s warranty I am starting to like the Canyon Ultimate CF.
Beware! An old fart with an opinion is a dangerous thing. And please, experienced maybe, but intelligent? Man, you need to talk to my wife. She'll tell ya marrying her was the last intelligent thing I ever did. And that was 46 years ago.
bmcer is offline  
Likes For bmcer:
Old 08-15-20, 06:39 PM
  #47  
barakah
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcer View Post
Beware! An old fart with an opinion is a dangerous thing. And please, experienced maybe, but intelligent? Man, you need to talk to my wife. She'll tell ya marrying her was the last intelligent thing I ever did. And that was 46 years ago.
About the tires! They are so much softer the ride when I ran the psi lower on my wheels! Thanks for that solid tip makes a lot different in long rides thanks.
barakah is offline  
Old 08-15-20, 06:59 PM
  #48  
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Off the front
Posts: 763

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
My Endurace CF SL 8.0 rides like a pillow on G5000s @ ~ 54psi rear and 48psi front. I can see cracks/seams in the road, but I can't feel them at all. Nicest bike I've ever ridden in regard to plushness and comfort on the road. The miles roll by without beating me senseless. I really love riding this bike. Are there others out there that I would love just as much? Probably, but I love what I've got and I'm happy with it. (That works for all sorts of things in life, from whisky to toilet paper, cars, spouses, etc.) Anyway, I hope the OP buys a great bike soon, and puts many, many enjoyable miles on it.
AdkMtnMonster is offline  
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 08-17-20, 10:24 AM
  #49  
tsmith41094
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 85

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Disc, Trek Madone SLR, Canyon Ultimate CF SLX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I've had an Aeroad for the past 2 yrs and put 5-7k miles on it per year. It has been absolutely rock solid so far. Zero issues whatsoever.

I've also been thinking about adding an Ultimate to the collection recently.

The only negative for me is it seem like Canyon always lags behind on the developmental curve. Would love to know why they haven't switched to integrated cable routing (even on their new Ultimate CFR just released last week)? Also you have the "new Aeroad" that has been rumored now for what seems like years.

To that end, even when buying a brand new Canyon, it can feel like your buying a slightly older bike. This is mostly a mental thing and if you like the way it rides, then who really cares. But it is certainly something I've thought about.
tsmith41094 is offline  
Old 08-17-20, 11:55 PM
  #50  
ZHVelo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Posts: 788
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 148 Posts
Originally Posted by tsmith41094 View Post
I've had an Aeroad for the past 2 yrs and put 5-7k miles on it per year. It has been absolutely rock solid so far. Zero issues whatsoever.

I've also been thinking about adding an Ultimate to the collection recently.

The only negative for me is it seem like Canyon always lags behind on the developmental curve. Would love to know why they haven't switched to integrated cable routing (even on their new Ultimate CFR just released last week)? Also you have the "new Aeroad" that has been rumored now for what seems like years.

To that end, even when buying a brand new Canyon, it can feel like your buying a slightly older bike. This is mostly a mental thing and if you like the way it rides, then who really cares. But it is certainly something I've thought about.
In what sense? I fully agree, I am also irked by their refusal to do integrated cables, but a) that is a super minor thing really, yet major for some people who just like the clean look and b) that's the only thing they are "behind" on, no? What other things have they lagged on? c) the fact that one model is a bit late has no bearing on any "developmental curve".
ZHVelo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.