Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Early morning riders

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Early morning riders

Old 08-13-20, 06:16 PM
  #26  
y2zipper
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I like coffee and 100-200 calories before the ride, like oatmeal or a banana.
y2zipper is offline  
Old 08-13-20, 06:21 PM
  #27  
thehammerdog
Senior Member
 
thehammerdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NWNJ
Posts: 3,193

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl View Post
I don't like the heat and have figured out that early is the only time of day tolerable for me to be outside. What do you morning people eat before a ride? I have been having food issues (I don't eat enough) and need ideas for how to fuel my body so I can get out and ride. I'm not trying to lose weight so not concerned about calories or fat.
I learned to eat nothing.
hydrate a ton and
drink coffee
thehammerdog is offline  
Old 08-13-20, 11:14 PM
  #28  
gios
Senior Member
 
gios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NV
Posts: 319

Bikes: Gios Compact Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 53 Posts
I'm usually in the middle of a time-restricted eating (TRE) interval when my morning ride comes up.

Fasting before exercise and the effect on endurance, aerobic, and strength training 7-15-19
gios is offline  
Old 08-13-20, 11:48 PM
  #29  
Leinster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: location location
Posts: 2,621

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 80 Posts
Fasted riding is a thing. You can roll out of bed, ride for an hour or more with no food and then have breakfast when you get home.

Alternatively, I sometimes snack on my first Clif bar as I'm pushing away from the garage. Especially if I'm planning on riding a bit farther.

Or I'll just eat a light breakfast that doesn't take time to make (cereal like raisin bran, granola).
Leinster is offline  
Old 08-14-20, 12:41 AM
  #30  
cubewheels
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 478

Bikes: A really old BMX bike and a 2020 Phantom 20" hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 72 Posts
I still prefer riding at noon even in summer. Ironically, it seems to be the safest time, traffic-wise.

Early morning, although accidents are less frequent, they tend to be of more serious nature if they do happen.

For riding under the hot sun, I wet my shirt and my head/hair before heading out.
cubewheels is offline  
Old 08-14-20, 08:11 AM
  #31  
autonomy
Senior Member
 
autonomy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Boston Roads
Posts: 829

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
2 x pieces of multigrain toast with almond butter & jam, some cheese, double espresso. This will last me about 2 hrs (30ish miles). If I think I'll be out past that, I'll bring a Clif bar which will extend me to 40-50. Yogurt with granola or muesli, some nut mix, dried or fresh fruit is a quicker meal, but doesn't last me as long. I also make my own 'energy drink' by mixing some dissolved raw sugar, lime/lemon juice (a tablespoon or so of each), and water. More fun to drink and seems to give me a bit more energy than water.

Not eating before a ride? No, thanks. Possibly ending up in a state of bonk and having a delayed reaction to hazards/motorists feels like driving drunk to me and me only, all you fasted training people can do whatever works for ya

Last edited by autonomy; 08-14-20 at 02:50 PM.
autonomy is offline  
Old 08-14-20, 08:54 AM
  #32  
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!
 
AlmostTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Looney Tunes, IL
Posts: 7,030

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1374 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl View Post
I don't like the heat and have figured out that early is the only time of day tolerable for me to be outside. What do you morning people eat before a ride? I have been having food issues (I don't eat enough) and need ideas for how to fuel my body so I can get out and ride. I'm not trying to lose weight so not concerned about calories or fat.
I head out on the bike at 6 am many mornings. I usually have a healthy Fruit/Fiber/Carb/Protein/Nutrient power shake. I make it the night before and the canister is placed in the fridge. In the morning it gets a quick spin on the blender and is ready to go. I find it very convenient and nourishing.

I could not imagine doing more than a very short ride without any fresh fuel. I've always been slim and not susceptible to weight gain, even when not riding.

My regular ingredients:

Melon/grapes/berries (usually 1 or 2 types, depending what's in season)
Walnuts or Almonds
Banana
Soy milk
Orange juice
Old fashioned oats
Hemp seeds
Chia seeds
Wheat germ
Flax seed
Coconut oil
Nutritional yeast
Protein powder
Unsweetened cocoa
Pure vanilla
Cinnamon


Yes, it's quite the mix of flavors but goes together well.
AlmostTrick is offline  
Old 08-14-20, 10:47 AM
  #33  
ClydeClydeson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 36 Posts
Apples and bananas.

I usually also have a cup of coffee but I feel better when I drink a cup of tea.
ClydeClydeson is offline  
Old 08-14-20, 11:11 AM
  #34  
msu2001la
Senior Member
 
msu2001la's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 707
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 64 Posts
I always ride first thing in the morning and rarely eating anything before heading out. This morning I did 30 easy miles starting at 5:45am with nothing but an espresso while getting dressed, and two bottles of water on the bike. I brought a gel, but forgot to eat it. This is typical for any ride under 2 hours. Nothing but water and gels.
If I'm going out for 2-3hrs, I'll have a banana or maybe some yogurt/granola or toast with peanut butter first, then bring a few gels along. Typically 1 gel per hour. I don't often do rides over 3-3.5hrs, but in those cases I'd probably think more about what I'm eating before, and plan a stop along the way at a coffee shop for something to eat, and also maybe use a sports drink in one of my bottles.

YMMV. I spent years in running groups that met early in the morning and everyone was different. I couldn't ever run with food in my stomach, and I think just got used to rolling out of bed and going.
msu2001la is offline  
Old 08-14-20, 11:41 AM
  #35  
NomarsGirl
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
NomarsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Easton, MA
Posts: 534

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster View Post
. You can roll out of bed, ride for an hour or more with no food and then have breakfast when you get home.

.
maybe YOU can, but I can't.
NomarsGirl is offline  
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 08-14-20, 11:50 AM
  #36  
Ogsarg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Hollister, CA (not the surf town)
Posts: 1,095

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 494 Times in 213 Posts
My early morning rides are before work and limited to 1-1.5 hours so I don't have anything to eat. A small glass of OJ is all.

For longer rides on the weekends, Oatmeal with a dozen or so almonds, whatever fruit I have available, some unsweetened coconut, and a bit of maple syrup or brown sugar. That will hold me for at least 50 miles.

I've discovered that at 64, I cannot eat eggs before a ride of any significant distance.
Ogsarg is offline  
Old 08-14-20, 12:16 PM
  #37  
barakah
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl View Post
I don't like the heat and have figured out that early is the only time of day tolerable for me to be outside. What do you morning people eat before a ride? I have been having food issues (I don't eat enough) and need ideas for how to fuel my body so I can get out and ride. I'm not trying to lose weight so not concerned about calories or fat.
i produce my own meat at the Farm! Right now chickens and berries, yams, garlic in the morning and of course Coffee with molasses and goat milk.

i have a 20 kilometres ride to the city on the week days. This is only one way.
barakah is offline  
Likes For barakah:
Old 08-14-20, 12:40 PM
  #38  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 39,181

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy View Post
2 x pieces of multigrain toast with almond butter & jam, some cheese, double espresso. This will last me about 2 hrs (30ish miles). If I think I'll be out past that, I'll bring a Clif bar which will extend me to 40-50. Yogurt with granola or muesli, some nut mix, dried or fresh fruit is a quicker meal, but doesn't last me as long. I also make my own 'energy drink' by mixing some dissolved raw sugar, lime/lemon juice (a tablespoon or so of each), and water. More fun to drink and seems to give me a bit more energy than water.

Not eating before a ride? No, thanks. Riding in a state of bonk and having a delayed reaction to hazards/motorists is like driving drunk.
Maybe you should keep a gel or two on your nightstand lest you pass out on the way to the kitchen.
caloso is offline  
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-14-20, 12:50 PM
  #39  
autonomy
Senior Member
 
autonomy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Boston Roads
Posts: 829

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
Maybe you should keep a gel or two on your nightstand lest you pass out on the way to the kitchen.
Are you that bothered that some people burn more than 400 calories in a day?
autonomy is offline  
Old 08-14-20, 01:04 PM
  #40  
hubcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,751

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy View Post
Are you that bothered that some people burn more than 400 calories in a day?
He makes a valid point, if you're eating normally, there's no way you can wake up in a bonking state without any glycogen stored up. I got up this morning and had a coffee and rode 90mins, that was 1050 calories, as measured with a power meter. I then immediately took my son out to ride on the minuteman trail for 2hrs, that was only 265 calories as measured with my power meter. I did not eat and certainly did not bonk. Unless you're deliberately under carbing, there's really no way to be that depleted.
hubcyclist is offline  
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 08-14-20, 01:09 PM
  #41  
noimagination
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
When I was putting in 2 hr rides before work (5 - 7 am), I would eat during the ride, not before.

My stomach wasn't ready for food when I got up (4:30ish), so I would eat about an hour into the ride. I'd eat about 250 kcal, i.e. a Power Bar (dating myself), or banana, or half a PB sandwich, or 5-6 fig newtons, etc. Then I'd get home, shower/shave, eat breakfast, go to work.

You should experiment to see what works for you. I found that my eating habits needed to be trained too: it felt like I was better able to digest and use calories eaten on the bike after doing it for a while, whereas the first couple of times eating on the bike left me feeling a little bloated and gassy. I suggest trying various strategies for a minimum of 3 weeks or so (assuming 3-4+ rides/wk) each. See how each feels.
noimagination is offline  
Old 08-14-20, 01:19 PM
  #42  
autonomy
Senior Member
 
autonomy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Boston Roads
Posts: 829

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist View Post
He makes a valid point, if you're eating normally, there's no way you can wake up in a bonking state without any glycogen stored up. I got up this morning and had a coffee and rode 90mins, that was 1050 calories, as measured with a power meter. I then immediately took my son out to ride on the minuteman trail for 2hrs, that was only 265 calories as measured with my power meter. I did not eat and certainly did not bonk. Unless you're deliberately under carbing, there's really no way to be that depleted.
I'm not that surprised to hear that someone on the internet knows more about my body's metabolism than I do My original post stated, in simple terms, that I would not want to have the displeasure of riding without having a meal because I find it dangerous. I have been there for various reasons and it's not pleasant. If not eating works for some of you, great! What's the point in being snarky about it? Someone is hangry?
autonomy is offline  
Old 08-14-20, 01:43 PM
  #43  
hubcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,751

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy View Post
I'm not that surprised to hear that someone on the internet knows more about my body's metabolism than I do My original post stated, in simple terms, that I would not want to have the displeasure of riding without having a meal because I find it dangerous. I have been there for various reasons and it's not pleasant. If not eating works for some of you, great! What's the point in being snarky about it? Someone is hangry?
Well, the snark is likely because your comment on being in a bonked state first thing in the morning flies in the fact of how things generally work, that our bodies carry 2000 calories of glycogen if you're eating normally. Not to mention that depending on the intensity folks burn more fat than carbs, so when recreational/non-competitive cyclists overemphasize carbing up first thing in the morning it sets off my alarm because caloric needs are less for non-competitive folks.

Again, to go back to my rides today, my first ride was a normal training ride for me at my endurance intensity, I utilized over 1000 calories in 90mins. My 2nd ride was 9mph average, 250calories, over a 2hr period. That, to me, is more reflective of what more average cyclists actually expend. The way people discuss eating for rides you'd think they were preparing for a race or something. Reality is caloric/carb needs are vastly overblown by folks on forums like this.
hubcyclist is offline  
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 08-14-20, 02:05 PM
  #44  
Troul
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 2,221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist View Post
Well, the snark is likely because your comment on being in a bonked state first thing in the morning flies in the fact of how things generally work, that our bodies carry 2000 calories of glycogen if you're eating normally. Not to mention that depending on the intensity folks burn more fat than carbs, so when recreational/non-competitive cyclists overemphasize carbing up first thing in the morning it sets off my alarm because caloric needs are less for non-competitive folks.

Again, to go back to my rides today, my first ride was a normal training ride for me at my endurance intensity, I utilized over 1000 calories in 90mins. My 2nd ride was 9mph average, 250calories, over a 2hr period. That, to me, is more reflective of what more average cyclists actually expend. The way people discuss eating for rides you'd think they were preparing for a race or something. Reality is caloric/carb needs are vastly overblown by folks on forums like this.
hardest part of eating more fats less calories is finding food that is appetizing with lower calories than the ideal fat.
Troul is offline  
Old 08-14-20, 02:05 PM
  #45  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 39,181

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy View Post
Are you that bothered that some people burn more than 400 calories in a day?
No, just pointing out that healthy adults with reasonable diets aren't "in a state of bonk" before breakfast.
caloso is offline  
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-14-20, 02:05 PM
  #46  
autonomy
Senior Member
 
autonomy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Boston Roads
Posts: 829

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist View Post
Well, the snark is likely because your comment on being in a bonked state first thing in the morning flies in the fact of how things generally work, that our bodies carry 2000 calories of glycogen if you're eating normally. Not to mention that depending on the intensity folks burn more fat than carbs, so when recreational/non-competitive cyclists overemphasize carbing up first thing in the morning it sets off my alarm because caloric needs are less for non-competitive folks.

Again, to go back to my rides today, my first ride was a normal training ride for me at my endurance intensity, I utilized over 1000 calories in 90mins. My 2nd ride was 9mph average, 250calories, over a 2hr period. That, to me, is more reflective of what more average cyclists actually expend. The way people discuss eating for rides you'd think they were preparing for a race or something. Reality is caloric/carb needs are vastly overblown by folks on forums like this.
Ya'll jumping to conclusions. I've never woken up feeling like I was "bonking" and I never stated I do. But if I don't eat and do a hard workout, expending half or more of my daily recommended calorie intake, there is a higher likelihood of "bonking" (or an even higher displeasure of feeling hungry), which is what I'm trying to avoid of the time.

Jeez. All I'm saying is I most of the time I prefer to eat before riding. Not carbing up. Not waking up depleted.
autonomy is offline  
Likes For autonomy:
Old 08-14-20, 02:16 PM
  #47  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 16,303

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5965 Post(s)
Liked 1,616 Times in 865 Posts
For me, anything under two hours is nothing, or maybe a banana. Upping it to 2-3 hours means definitely a banana, and maybe a little more. For long rides, 3+ hours, this will sound weird but I scramble four eggs the day before and eat the first thing. My stomach can't handle the sugar in the gels and bars that it would take to fuel long rides, and I'm able to ride well enough with the eggs in me (I don't start fast on a 3+ hour ride) that it keeps me going way better.

For you, with your stated issue being getting enough, you might want to try two eggs ahead of time and see how it goes; you might be surprised at how easy they are to digest. Difficulty getting enough on long days was what drove me to experiment with it.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 08-14-20, 02:19 PM
  #48  
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 6,307

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1855 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy View Post

Not eating before a ride? No, thanks. Possibly ending up in a state of bonk and having a delayed reaction to hazards/motorists is like driving drunk.
I don't ever remember waking up in a state of bonk, I also never bonked on a ride yet. I do a lot of early morning rides in a fasted state, it's my favourite time to ride... When I wake up in the morning I have plenty of fuel and energy to sustain a 2-3 hour ride. I have also done many early morning weight training workouts in a fasted state, no problem at all....It has a lot to do with what you eat and how much you eat the day before. It's also about training your body to be able to function without food...Human evolution has designed the human body to be able to skip meals and still be able to function, or else we would all become extinct.
wolfchild is offline  
Old 08-14-20, 02:22 PM
  #49  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 39,181

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy View Post
Ya'll jumping to conclusions. I've never woken up feeling like I was "bonking" and I never stated I do. But if I don't eat and do a hard workout, expending half or more of my daily recommended calorie intake, there is a higher likelihood of "bonking" (or an even higher displeasure of feeling hungry), which is what I'm trying to avoid of the time.

Jeez. All I'm saying is I most of the time I prefer to eat before riding. Not carbing up. Not waking up depleted.
I was responding to your original statement, before you edited it:

Not eating before a ride? No, thanks. Riding in a state of bonk and having a delayed reaction to hazards/motorists is like driving drunk.
If you feel like I drew an unfair inference based on that, and that additional context is needed, then I apologize and will withdraw my comment. I agree with you that fasted riding for long periods at high intensities increase the likelihood of a bonk. I also hope that you will agree that many riders like myself safely and successfully employ fasted training. There's a growing body of literature on it: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6983467/
caloso is offline  
Old 08-14-20, 02:27 PM
  #50  
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 6,307

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1855 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy View Post
Ya'll jumping to conclusions.
It's because you made a blanket statement as if it applies to everybody and say that it's dangerous to go for a bike ride in a fasted state....There are a lot of people out there who do fasted training.
wolfchild is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.