Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

mtb cycling shorts over bibs?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

mtb cycling shorts over bibs?

Old 09-09-20, 07:01 AM
  #1  
Troul 
:D
Thread Starter
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 6,033

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,113 Times in 1,420 Posts
mtb cycling shorts over bibs?

Having a hard time finding MTB cycling pants in the length I need, so I was thinking of going the non-padded MTB shorts over cycling bibs pants as that'd achieve the warmth needed during the colder rides. Anyone doing this already or tried it & have a reason why they no longer do that?
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Old 09-09-20, 07:08 AM
  #2  
MntnMan62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 123

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
I haven't been mountain biking in a while but if I were to get back on the mtb I'd probably just wear a pair of my regular padded lycra bike shorts underneath a pair of cargo shorts. Anyone who would have a problem with what you propose is nothing but an ignorant bike snob. I've been made fun of using a mountain bike bladder while road biking and was told "it's so mountain". Well, the only one with issues is the imbecile who said that. You do and wear what you want.
MntnMan62 is offline  
Old 09-09-20, 07:32 AM
  #3  
Troul 
:D
Thread Starter
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 6,033

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,113 Times in 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by MntnMan62 View Post
I haven't been mountain biking in a while but if I were to get back on the mtb I'd probably just wear a pair of my regular padded lycra bike shorts underneath a pair of cargo shorts. Anyone who would have a problem with what you propose is nothing but an ignorant bike snob. I've been made fun of using a mountain bike bladder while road biking and was told "it's so mountain". Well, the only one with issues is the imbecile who said that. You do and wear what you want.
Just to clarify, I am on a road bicycle, drop bars & all. So I'm asking for the sake of comfort & staying warm enough for the ride without overheating. Plus, sometimes I like to stop off to visit a shop that is unrelated to bicycles, & want to appear someone casual attire. Tights to me, they don't have accommodating pockets for my needs. MTB clothes allow for those pockets, which I really like.
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Old 09-09-20, 07:36 AM
  #4  
MntnMan62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 123

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
MntnMan62 is offline  
Likes For MntnMan62:
Old 09-09-20, 07:58 AM
  #5  
commo_soulja
Senior Member
 
commo_soulja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: C-Ville
Posts: 1,246

Bikes: are fun to ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
I used to solely wear spandex while MTBing. Now that I no longer race or ride my racy MTB, I've switched to baggies over bib shorts. I once bought a pair of baggies with integrated liner shorts. They were never comfortable. The liner shorts and outer shorts being connected, gave me plumbers butt when riding - moving around the bike/saddle when mountain biking. Bib shorts over baggy shorts solved that. Plus I fit in with the majority of mountain bikers on the trail - who aren't skinny lycra clad racers. I still ride in full lycra kit on fast road rides but 90% of the time (MTBing, gravel riding, riding on the MUT) I'm in baggy shorts over bibs. I can stop anywhere without looking like Ricky racer, not that there's anything wrong with that but looks count, especially what you perceive others are thinking of you. I guess, whatevs...
commo_soulja is offline  
Likes For commo_soulja:
Old 09-09-20, 08:01 AM
  #6  
Chuckles1
Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Foothills of West Central Maine
Posts: 402

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
I like MTB shorts over tights when it gets to cold for shorts alone.
Chuckles1 is offline  
Likes For Chuckles1:
Old 09-09-20, 08:26 AM
  #7  
c_m_shooter
Senior Member
 
c_m_shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Paradise, TX
Posts: 2,085

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 162 Posts
I only ride Brooks saddles and gave up on padded shorts years ago.
c_m_shooter is offline  
Old 09-09-20, 02:04 PM
  #8  
Rolla
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 2,888
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,261 Times in 1,437 Posts
I just use a Zoic liner and whatever shorts I want. When it gets chilly, I wear Kuhl knee-length shorts. Plenty of pockets, but they're not cargo shorts.
Rolla is offline  
Old 09-09-20, 02:49 PM
  #9  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,519
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 411 Posts
I do baggies over bibs ever now and again.

It's OK. not great. My baggies are just too big. The crotch is low, so I have to wear them super high. It might be better if I had smaller ones that fit better.
topflightpro is offline  
Old 09-12-20, 11:41 AM
  #10  
Troul 
:D
Thread Starter
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 6,033

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,113 Times in 1,420 Posts
Follow-Up:
Physically, it' physically comfortable. Conditional comfort, it is most effective when 50f with moderate humidity & a dull OVC. If one or more of the factors for the environment conditions increase thermal temps, it would have unwanted conditional comfort impacts for my cycling needs. YMMV.
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Old 09-12-20, 12:02 PM
  #11  
IGH_Only
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
What is a bib? I mean, I know what they are in the context of eating. What does it mean in cycling?
IGH_Only is offline  
Old 09-12-20, 12:23 PM
  #12  
Rolla
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 2,888
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,261 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by IGH_Only View Post
What is a bib? I mean, I know what they are in the context of eating. What does it mean in cycling?
They're cycling shorts with built in straps:



Also available for men:


Last edited by Rolla; 09-12-20 at 12:28 PM.
Rolla is offline  
Likes For Rolla:
Old 09-12-20, 01:58 PM
  #13  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 12,954

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7279 Post(s)
Liked 7,751 Times in 3,950 Posts
If you're comfortable, go for it. I generally just go for knee warmers with bibs, till it's down around 45. I can't do loose clothing through the crotch area to ride without getting chafing.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is online now  
Old 09-12-20, 02:15 PM
  #14  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,361

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4461 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,668 Posts
I usually wear AeroTech or Przewalkski padded shorts, or Pearl Izumi or Baleef padded liners, under my baggy shorts for longer casual rides. I don't do mountain biking, but occasionally join friends for 20-30 mile casual rides including some gravel and snack/drink stops. So I'll wear jeans or baggy shorts, but still wear padded shorts for comfort and, in winter, warmth.

I have bibs but wear them only with my aero jerseys which run a bit short in the waist. My regular jerseys are a bit longer and cover my waist just fine with padded shorts. I started riding road bikes long before the bibs era so I'm just accustomed to wearing shorts. The suspenders on bibs get in the way on pee breaks. And they don't support me any better so I'm not seeing any real advantage over good shorts.
canklecat is offline  
Old 09-12-20, 03:29 PM
  #15  
Troul 
:D
Thread Starter
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 6,033

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,113 Times in 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
I usually wear AeroTech or Przewalkski padded shorts, or Pearl Izumi or Baleef padded liners, under my baggy shorts for longer casual rides. I don't do mountain biking, but occasionally join friends for 20-30 mile casual rides including some gravel and snack/drink stops. So I'll wear jeans or baggy shorts, but still wear padded shorts for comfort and, in winter, warmth.

I have bibs but wear them only with my aero jerseys which run a bit short in the waist. My regular jerseys are a bit longer and cover my waist just fine with padded shorts. I started riding road bikes long before the bibs era so I'm just accustomed to wearing shorts. The suspenders on bibs get in the way on pee breaks. And they don't support me any better so I'm not seeing any real advantage over good shorts.
Torso length inhibits standard clothing sizes. Have one jersey that doesn't ride up during a ride. The bibs cure standard length jerseys, while also providing the added comfort. MTB shorts over the outfit doesn't cause chaffing, but I'd imagine that if the MTB shorts didnt fit right, it could pose a rubbing issue. Would be nice to have the affordable option to a longer torso length jersey, but I have not been able to find such sizing available. Most that would give the length are going to be in the bulk sizes imo. I do agree that bibs tend to be cumbersome for those pitstop moments.
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Old 09-13-20, 03:35 AM
  #16  
tangerineowl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oz
Posts: 887

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul View Post
Having a hard time finding MTB cycling pants in the length I need, so I was thinking of going the non-padded MTB shorts over cycling bibs pants as that'd achieve the warmth needed during the colder rides. Anyone doing this already or tried it & have a reason why they no longer do that?
I've been using Zoic Reign (3/4) shorts over bibs for a while. Wanted 'over the knee' (or close to that) to cut a bit of wind on knee.

Just checked their site and now see a DWR coated 3/4 model: Ikonik. Looks a touch slimmer overall.

Like this shape, as they are narrower than mtb 'baggies'. Plus they taper-down around the knee.

Kind of similar to the ReneHerse short design, but those from what I understand are a lighter-weight material.

Ground Effect NZ do a fully waterproof 3/4 which has an even lower knee cutoff. Planning on getting those for next winter.

Last edited by tangerineowl; 09-13-20 at 03:40 AM. Reason: txt
tangerineowl is offline  
Old 09-13-20, 02:37 PM
  #17  
jay4usc
Live Healthy
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 417

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul View Post
Just to clarify, I am on a road bicycle, drop bars & all. So I'm asking for the sake of comfort & staying warm enough for the ride without overheating. Plus, sometimes I like to stop off to visit a shop that is unrelated to bicycles, & want to appear someone casual attire. Tights to me, they don't have accommodating pockets for my needs. MTB clothes allow for those pockets, which I really like.
have you tried Adidas, Nike or UnderArmour sweats? Many are fitted as slim fit and tapered. I like wearing adidas Tiro 19 sweat pants as they are very comfortable and breath very well.



Last edited by jay4usc; 09-13-20 at 02:42 PM.
jay4usc is offline  
Old 09-13-20, 06:40 PM
  #18  
Troul 
:D
Thread Starter
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 6,033

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,113 Times in 1,420 Posts
I am seeking longer length jersey's at an affordable price.
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.