Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Helmet Fitment

Old 10-12-20, 02:23 PM
  #1  
Gary in NJ
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Hilly NJ
Posts: 76

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3, 2015 Trek FrankenMarlin Gravel Thing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 31 Posts
Helmet Fitment

When I started cycling this summer, the first thing I did after my first "do I want to cycle" ride was to head to the LBS to get a helmet. The disinterested sales person told me there were three different types of protection (his breakdown, not mine); basic helmets up to $75, MIPS helmets up to $100 and Wave helmets $100+. Being a Trek dealer, the only helmets in stock were Bontrager and I chose a mid-price Solstice MIPS helmet. I typically wear a size Medium motorcycle helmet so I grabbed the M/L size, tried it on and went on my way.

Boy, do I really hate this helmet. As hard as I try, I can't seem to keep this thing from falling forward on my head. Every few minutes I have to grab it and slide it back so I can see beyond 5 feet in front of my bike. I've tried every possible tension on the adjustable band. The tighter I make it, the higher it sits on top of my head...and it doesn't keep it from pitching forward. I try to place the adjusting knob just below the little bump at the back of the skull (Occipital bun?) and tightening it there hoping that the bump will keep it from moving, but it doesn't.

Is this a common problem? Is this considered normal and I'll have to adjust? Is the Bontrager Solstice just a crappy helmet or a crappy fit for my head? Can anyone recommend an alternative lid (not just your favorite helmet, but one that solved the same problem)?

Flying down a hill at 40-45 mph, I do believe that this is a real safety issue.
Gary in NJ is offline  
Old 10-12-20, 02:32 PM
  #2  
Mojo31
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 8,224
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6204 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,100 Posts
Did you adjust the side straps?
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 10-12-20, 02:44 PM
  #3  
Gary in NJ
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Hilly NJ
Posts: 76

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3, 2015 Trek FrankenMarlin Gravel Thing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
Did you adjust the side straps?
Yes. I have them set so I can get one, maybe two fingers between my chin and the strap. It's tight, but comfortable. I've also taken the time to ensure that the straps are equal in length.
Gary in NJ is offline  
Old 10-12-20, 02:47 PM
  #4  
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.
 
Thomas15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NE PA
Posts: 711
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Bike shop in Easton?
Thomas15 is offline  
Old 10-12-20, 02:57 PM
  #5  
Mojo31
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 8,224
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6204 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,100 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
Yes. I have them set so I can get one, maybe two fingers between my chin and the strap. It's tight, but comfortable. I've also taken the time to ensure that the straps are equal in length.
I have the same helmet and don't have the problem you describe. May need to pull the rear side strap down.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 10-12-20, 03:12 PM
  #6  
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Shenandoah Valley, Northern Virginia.
Posts: 620

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 173 Times in 124 Posts
I've never experienced that problem with a helmet. Is the helmet properly sized for your head, actually? You shouldna be choosing your helmet's size based on previous schemes such as "S-M-L-XL", because those are whatever the manufacturer wants it to be, rather than an agreed upon standard that all helmets will follow. You should measure the circumference of your head, just above your eyebrows. Use a measuring tape that has centimeters. That measurement is what an effective sizing scale will use. Look for a helmet that has a dial in the back which allows micro-adjustments. Kali and many other brands have this.
Nyah is offline  
Old 10-12-20, 03:31 PM
  #7  
Gary in NJ
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Hilly NJ
Posts: 76

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3, 2015 Trek FrankenMarlin Gravel Thing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15 View Post
Bike shop in Easton?
yes
Gary in NJ is offline  
Likes For Gary in NJ:
Old 10-12-20, 03:33 PM
  #8  
Gary in NJ
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Hilly NJ
Posts: 76

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3, 2015 Trek FrankenMarlin Gravel Thing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Look for a helmet that has a dial in the back which allows micro-adjustments. Kali and many other brands have this.
It has such a dial. Read my post to see how Iíve tried to adjust it to my head.
Gary in NJ is offline  
Old 10-12-20, 03:42 PM
  #9  
Gary in NJ
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Hilly NJ
Posts: 76

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3, 2015 Trek FrankenMarlin Gravel Thing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
I have the same helmet and don't have the problem you describe. May need to pull the rear side strap down.
I do believe that this is the solution. I saw this suggestion and spent some time biasing the straps to have more tension towards the rear. Thanks for the advice.
Gary in NJ is offline  
Old 10-12-20, 03:44 PM
  #10  
Mulberry20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
When I started cycling this summer, the first thing I did after my first "do I want to cycle" ride was to head to the LBS to get a helmet. The disinterested sales person told me there were three different types of protection (his breakdown, not mine); basic helmets up to $75, MIPS helmets up to $100 and Wave helmets $100+. Being a Trek dealer, the only helmets in stock were Bontrager and I chose a mid-price Solstice MIPS helmet. I typically wear a size Medium motorcycle helmet so I grabbed the M/L size, tried it on and went on my way.

Boy, do I really hate this helmet. As hard as I try, I can't seem to keep this thing from falling forward on my head. Every few minutes I have to grab it and slide it back so I can see beyond 5 feet in front of my bike. I've tried every possible tension on the adjustable band. The tighter I make it, the higher it sits on top of my head...and it doesn't keep it from pitching forward. I try to place the adjusting knob just below the little bump at the back of the skull (Occipital bun?) and tightening it there hoping that the bump will keep it from moving, but it doesn't.

Is this a common problem? Is this considered normal and I'll have to adjust? Is the Bontrager Solstice just a crappy helmet or a crappy fit for my head? Can anyone recommend an alternative lid (not just your favorite helmet, but one that solved the same problem)?

Flying down a hill at 40-45 mph, I do believe that this is a real safety issue.
I had that problem with every helmet till I got a Kali. A helmet should be snug before any adjustment. Everyones head is different.
Mulberry20 is offline  
Old 10-12-20, 03:49 PM
  #11  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 12,198

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6780 Post(s)
Liked 7,187 Times in 3,652 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
When I started cycling this summer, the first thing I did after my first "do I want to cycle" ride was to head to the LBS to get a helmet. The disinterested sales person told me there were three different types of protection (his breakdown, not mine); basic helmets up to $75, MIPS helmets up to $100 and Wave helmets $100+. Being a Trek dealer, the only helmets in stock were Bontrager and I chose a mid-price Solstice MIPS helmet. I typically wear a size Medium motorcycle helmet so I grabbed the M/L size, tried it on and went on my way.

Boy, do I really hate this helmet. As hard as I try, I can't seem to keep this thing from falling forward on my head. Every few minutes I have to grab it and slide it back so I can see beyond 5 feet in front of my bike. I've tried every possible tension on the adjustable band. The tighter I make it, the higher it sits on top of my head...and it doesn't keep it from pitching forward. I try to place the adjusting knob just below the little bump at the back of the skull (Occipital bun?) and tightening it there hoping that the bump will keep it from moving, but it doesn't.

Is this a common problem? Is this considered normal and I'll have to adjust? Is the Bontrager Solstice just a crappy helmet or a crappy fit for my head? Can anyone recommend an alternative lid (not just your favorite helmet, but one that solved the same problem)?

Flying down a hill at 40-45 mph, I do believe that this is a real safety issue.
Yes, it is. You're correct in thinking it shouldn't move relative to your head once it's on. f you can get it to work by adjusting the straps, great. If not, I'd find a different helmet.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 10-12-20, 05:01 PM
  #12  
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Shenandoah Valley, Northern Virginia.
Posts: 620

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 173 Times in 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
It has such a dial. Read my post to see how Iíve tried to adjust it to my head.
Alright, but the primary advice in my message was that you should not be choosing a bicycle helmet based on a non-circumference size of a helmet that you previously used. Size-M from one brand/sport may not be the same as a size-M from another. I did read in your message that this is how you made your decision.
Nyah is offline  
Old 10-12-20, 07:02 PM
  #13  
Gary in NJ
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Hilly NJ
Posts: 76

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3, 2015 Trek FrankenMarlin Gravel Thing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Alright, but the primary advice in my message was that you should not be choosing a bicycle helmet based on a non-circumference size of a helmet that you previously used. Size-M from one brand/sport may not be the same as a size-M from another. I did read in your message that this is how you made your decision.
Iím well aware of my head circumference (22Ē) and how it relates to helmet size. Iím also well aware that there is not consensus among manufacturers for size designation. Moreover, some manufacturers produce helmets for oval shaped heads and some for round shaped heads. I based my purchase on what has been historically the proper size for my head. I do not believe that the size is the issue, but rather the adjustment as it has been pointed out.
Gary in NJ is offline  
Old 10-13-20, 05:11 AM
  #14  
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.
 
Thomas15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NE PA
Posts: 711
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Gary

Good people at that LBS. If you take the helmet to them and ask for assistance they will get that helmet adjusted perfect for you.
Thomas15 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.