Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Reached my goal for the year

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Reached my goal for the year

Old 10-25-20, 02:02 PM
  #1  
spelger
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
spelger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: reno, nv
Posts: 490

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 97 Posts
Reached my goal for the year

And its not even November. On yesterday's ride i reached my goal for the year. last year i rode 2013 miles. i set a goal of an average of 100 mi/week for 2020. yesterday i reached 5216 miles. very very happy. i found more time to ride and now everything else i'll use as a gauge for next year's goal.

how are you all doing on your goals (if you set one).
spelger is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 03:06 PM
  #2  
Milton Keynes
Senior Member
 
Milton Keynes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 3,181

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1649 Post(s)
Liked 649 Times in 363 Posts
I don't get as much time as I'd always like to ride, so I usually try to ride 1,000 miles a year but this year has been a slow year, partially due to Covid-19. So I set an easy goal of 500 miles, which I passed last month. I now have 657 miles and with the weather turning colder that may be it for the year for actual riding, and spinning on the trainer until spring.
Milton Keynes is offline  
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 10-25-20, 03:11 PM
  #3  
one4smoke
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Nashville, TN.
Posts: 1,977

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger View Post
And its not even November. On yesterday's ride i reached my goal for the year. last year i rode 2013 miles. i set a goal of an average of 100 mi/week for 2020. yesterday i reached 5216 miles. very very happy. i found more time to ride and now everything else i'll use as a gauge for next year's goal.

how are you all doing on your goals (if you set one).
Wow, 5K+ ...that's a great year! Congrats!
one4smoke is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 03:19 PM
  #4  
aRoudy1
Senior Member
 
aRoudy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cle Elum, WA
Posts: 287

Bikes: Rans Stratus LE, Terra Trike Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
I made my goal of 2020 miles today! That may not be impressive, but at 75 years old, with COPD, I'm happy.
aRoudy1 is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 04:24 PM
  #5  
DudeManBro
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
congrats spelger!!
DudeManBro is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 04:56 PM
  #6  
IGH_Only
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
Congratulations! After riding for the past two days for the first time in decades, I wonder if I'll even be able to ride a 1,000 miles in a year. I was huffing and puffing just to ride 4 and 5 miles respectively. Even grandmas and grandpas were whizzing by and I'm not even 50 yet. Everyone was passing me by, except for the 3 year-old on training wheels and his dad. I felt like screaming out at every passerby, "Oh, you think you're better than me!"
IGH_Only is offline  
Likes For IGH_Only:
Old 10-25-20, 09:13 PM
  #7  
spelger
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
spelger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: reno, nv
Posts: 490

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by IGH_Only View Post
Congratulations! After riding for the past two days for the first time in decades, I wonder if I'll even be able to ride a 1,000 miles in a year. I was huffing and puffing just to ride 4 and 5 miles respectively. Even grandmas and grandpas were whizzing by and I'm not even 50 yet. Everyone was passing me by, except for the 3 year-old on training wheels and his dad. I felt like screaming out at every passerby, "Oh, you think you're better than me!"
you'll get there. just keep at it. it was tough when i started. i'm only 53 but feel so much better and stronger than i did 10 years ago.
spelger is offline  
Likes For spelger:
Old 10-25-20, 09:29 PM
  #8  
Troul
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 197 Posts
adding up all the bicycle's mileage might have me over 8,000 miles.
Troul is offline  
Likes For Troul:
Old 10-25-20, 09:54 PM
  #9  
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 448

Bikes: Rodriguez Racing Tandem, Fondriest Steelie, Bianchi Trofeo, Bianchi Infinito, Schwinn Varsity, Trek mtn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 132 Posts
Congratulations! One heck of an achievement. Well done
__________________
Rick S Apple Maggot Quarantine Area, Wa.

Respect one another. Times are trying enough!

rsbob is offline  
Old 10-26-20, 10:07 AM
  #10  
Chuckles1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Foothills of West Central Maine
Posts: 181

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 49 Times in 36 Posts
5K , congrats!

I surpassed my 2K goal this year, which is enough in my hilly area.
Chuckles1 is offline  
Likes For Chuckles1:
Old 10-26-20, 10:29 AM
  #11  
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 8,038

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4173 Post(s)
Liked 3,126 Times in 1,773 Posts
Congrats to everyone on this thread who met their goal!

My goal last year was 7K miles, which I eked out barely because I got hit by a car on what should have been my ride that put it over, which laid me off of the bike for most of the last week of November. I squeezed a few bike share miles in while visiting my dad for Thanksgiving, just barely going over the magic mark.

This year, I reduced my goal to 6000 miles as some of the longer rides I had done last year were impractical under COVID conditions--no good stopping points. Just as I was going over 6000 miles at the end of September, I developed bacterial pneumonia. I had been wondering why the last 140 miles were so tiring, but I just barely dragged myself home from the last ride when I really started feeling sick. A couple of negative COVID tests and a visit to the ER and I was diagnosed. I'm only now starting to get back to riding, and I'm definitely not at 100% yet.

I don't think I'm setting a goal next year.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-26-20, 11:02 AM
  #12  
subgrade
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Rīga, Latvia
Posts: 782

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 284 Times in 168 Posts
I set my goal for this year at 7K km (4350 miles). I'm currently at 6425 km, so with 575 km left it looks good for meeting the goal if nothing unexpected happens. Not sure if my goal for next year should be much higher than this year; I got well ahead of my schedule during spring (might have been due to the nonexistent last winter), but struggled with meeting the monthly goals during summer.
subgrade is offline  
Likes For subgrade:
Old 10-26-20, 11:03 AM
  #13  
jgwilliams
Senior Member
 
jgwilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 569

Bikes: Planet X Carbon Pro Evo SRAM Force, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Giant XTC 4 mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 34 Posts
Well done! I'd set myself almost the same goal of 5,000 miles this year but I'm not going to get anywhere near it. Last year I managed 4,500 miles, mostly commuting the 18 miles to work 7 days out of 10. I was well on target this year and then covid struck and I've not been in to the office since. I'm still riding, of course; nearly up to 3,000 miles, which is still better than any year up to last year. Not helped by having a big accident in May and smashing my collar bone, which forced me to take two weeks completely off the bike and quite a few after that only riding on a turbo trainer. I found the turbo trainer so boring I rarely managed more than ten miles but at least it enabled me to keep a basic level of fitness. Since then I've mostly ridden my mountain bike, which also means I tend to do a slightly lower mileage, although I'm back on the road bike now. So, all in all, I'll be surprised if I manage 3,500 miles by the end of the year.
jgwilliams is offline  
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 10-26-20, 11:13 AM
  #14  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 31,498

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 339 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14276 Post(s)
Liked 3,368 Times in 1,800 Posts
I crossed 5k over the weekend. Considering the whole winter thing, I'm happy enough with that. Would love to hit 6k this year, but it's not looking like the weather is going to cooperate.
WhyFi is online now  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-26-20, 11:22 AM
  #15  
Troul
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Congrats to everyone on this thread who met their goal!

My goal last year was 7K miles, which I eked out barely because I got hit by a car on what should have been my ride that put it over, which laid me off of the bike for most of the last week of November. I squeezed a few bike share miles in while visiting my dad for Thanksgiving, just barely going over the magic mark.

This year, I reduced my goal to 6000 miles as some of the longer rides I had done last year were impractical under COVID conditions--no good stopping points. Just as I was going over 6000 miles at the end of September, I developed bacterial pneumonia. I had been wondering why the last 140 miles were so tiring, but I just barely dragged myself home from the last ride when I really started feeling sick. A couple of negative COVID tests and a visit to the ER and I was diagnosed. I'm only now starting to get back to riding, and I'm definitely not at 100% yet.

I don't think I'm setting a goal next year.

Or set the goal to 8,500 miles & settle for 7,000 miles next time.
Troul is offline  
Old 10-26-20, 11:58 AM
  #16  
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 8,038

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4173 Post(s)
Liked 3,126 Times in 1,773 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul View Post
Or set the goal to 8,500 miles & settle for 7,000 miles next time.

I know myself too well to do that, I'd end up killing myself to try to get to 8500 miles.

I'd probably do better by setting the goal to 2000 miles then everything after June 10th or so would be bonus miles.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 10-26-20, 12:03 PM
  #17  
billridesbikes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 100 Posts
Had a 5,000 mile goal as my New Years resolution, but sitting at 4,135 this morning. Lost some prime riding time this fall due to being too smoky toride, and didn’t start riding until mid June due to restrictions.
billridesbikes is offline  
Old 10-26-20, 12:03 PM
  #18  
Flip Flop Rider
Senior Member
 
Flip Flop Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: South Carolina Upstate
Posts: 1,690

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 192 Posts
no goals, just ride when possible. Congrats
Flip Flop Rider is offline  
Old 10-26-20, 12:16 PM
  #19  
MattTheHat 
Senior Member
 
MattTheHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 1,710

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 1,850 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger View Post
And its not even November. On yesterday's ride i reached my goal for the year. last year i rode 2013 miles. i set a goal of an average of 100 mi/week for 2020. yesterday i reached 5216 miles. very very happy. i found more time to ride and now everything else i'll use as a gauge for next year's goal.

how are you all doing on your goals (if you set one).
NICE!

I met my goal about the same time you got yours. I'm at just over 8,000 miles now. I was thinking about trying to get 10,000 next year, but I'm not sure life is going to allow me to keep riding as much as I am now. Maybe I can bump next year's goal up for this year. I *might* be able to make it.
MattTheHat is offline  
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 10-26-20, 12:32 PM
  #20  
Troul
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
I know myself too well to do that, I'd end up killing myself to try to get to 8500 miles.

I'd probably do better by setting the goal to 2000 miles then everything after June 10th or so would be bonus miles.

seems bulletproof.
Troul is offline  
Old 10-26-20, 12:33 PM
  #21  
Riveting
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 716

Bikes: '13 Trek Madone 2.3, '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 85 Posts
At the very beginning of 2020, at age 46, it had only been 3 months since I was laying in the ICU battling a partial collapsed lung and Stage 3/4 Lung Cancer, which had metastasized to the lymph and spine, and I was happy to just be riding at all, or just to be alive for that matter, so I didn't set a goal for 2020. But it's now 10 months later and I just passed 3,000 miles last week. The goal in 2021 will likely be 5,000 miles, as it always had been, pre-cancer. I consider myself extremely fortunate to be able to even discuss such numbers.

I used to ride to add days to my life, now I ride to add life to my days.

Last edited by Riveting; 10-26-20 at 02:43 PM.
Riveting is offline  
Old 10-26-20, 01:54 PM
  #22  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 11,191

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4475 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 951 Posts
400mi short of my goal as of today.
its been raining or below 40 for the last 8 days so I havent ridden outside. Im hoping to get out for a few long rides in the next couple weeks to make a solid dent in the 400mi. I have 0 desire to ride for a few hours when its below 40 though.
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-26-20, 02:22 PM
  #23  
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 8,038

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4173 Post(s)
Liked 3,126 Times in 1,773 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams View Post
Well done! I'd set myself almost the same goal of 5,000 miles this year but I'm not going to get anywhere near it. Last year I managed 4,500 miles, mostly commuting the 18 miles to work 7 days out of 10. I was well on target this year and then covid struck and I've not been in to the office since. I'm still riding, of course; nearly up to 3,000 miles, which is still better than any year up to last year. Not helped by having a big accident in May and smashing my collar bone, which forced me to take two weeks completely off the bike and quite a few after that only riding on a turbo trainer. I found the turbo trainer so boring I rarely managed more than ten miles but at least it enabled me to keep a basic level of fitness. Since then I've mostly ridden my mountain bike, which also means I tend to do a slightly lower mileage, although I'm back on the road bike now. So, all in all, I'll be surprised if I manage 3,500 miles by the end of the year.

Oh, hell, given the injury, that's a really impressive number.

I can't ride trainers, it's truly boring.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 10-26-20, 02:27 PM
  #24  
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 8,038

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4173 Post(s)
Liked 3,126 Times in 1,773 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting View Post
At the very beginning of 2020, at age 46, it had only been 3 months since I was laying in the ICU battling a partial collapsed lung and Stage 3/4 Lung Cancer, which had metastasized to the lymph and spine, and I was happy to just be riding at all, or living for that matter, so I didn't set a goal for 2020. But it's now 10 months later and I just passed 3,000 miles last week. The goal in 2021 will likely be 5,000 miles, as it always had been, pre-cancer. I consider myself extremely fortunate to be able to even discuss such numbers.

I used to ride to add days to my life, now I ride to add life to my days.
That's truly amazing--you made my day.

I'm thinking cancer should be scared of you.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-26-20, 02:28 PM
  #25  
Troul
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Oh, hell, given the injury, that's a really impressive number.

I can't ride trainers, it's truly boring.
just takes some training to overcome it, sometimes.
Troul is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.