Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Florida Keys

Old 11-06-20, 06:15 PM
  #1  
one4smoke
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Nashville, TN.
Posts: 2,028

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 146 Posts
Florida Keys

Who's biked the Florida Keys? How'd it go? Best time of year to do it? Any advice or recommendations?
one4smoke is offline  
Old 11-06-20, 06:20 PM
  #2  
Velo Mule
Senior Member
 
Velo Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,014

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Electra Cantilever, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn World, Schwinn Continental

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 179 Posts
Check out Seth formerly from Seth's bike hacks and his buddy.

Velo Mule is offline  
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 11-06-20, 08:30 PM
  #3  
debade
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: WA
Posts: 337

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 31 Posts
Here is our journal. A bit dated

Finetastic Adventure Atlantic Coast 2012, by Marti Fine
debade is offline  
Old 11-07-20, 01:17 PM
  #4  
one4smoke
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Nashville, TN.
Posts: 2,028

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule View Post
Check out Seth formerly from Seth's bike hacks and his buddy.

Berm Peak biking to Key West
Originally Posted by debade View Post
Thanks, fellas!
one4smoke is offline  
Old 11-07-20, 01:59 PM
  #5  
Jmpierce
Senior Member
 
Jmpierce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: The Lou
Posts: 224

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 67 Posts
Didn't bike it yet but the best time to go visit the Keys is the week before Christmas. Everyone is visiting family and traffic is very light. The week after it starts getting bust.
Jmpierce is offline  
Old 11-07-20, 04:28 PM
  #6  
Bassmanbob
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 764

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 69 Posts
I live about two hours north of Miami and organized a century ride from Key Largo to Key West for some friends and me in February 2018. We had a blast! I chose February because there aren't many organized rides I was interested in here in Florida in the dead of "winter." I also didn't want to do it between April- October when the heat would be hellacious. December is busy for the holidays and I'm busy January and March with professional obligations.

It went very well, but it was a few months after Hurricane Irma damaged the Keys. Overall, there was still some damage, but most of the infrastructure was back. We biked mostly on the street (and bike lanes), but we didn't use the bike paths too much-- at least I didn't seek out every one. There were bike paths we didn't use, considering we weren't touring. We were doing a one day century. One thing I remember was that Marathon Key seemed to be the most commercial but with no bike lanes. We had to ride the sidewalks with many side streets to cross. At the time, they were repaving the side streets, so it was rough. Thankfully that lasted only a few miles-- I think. The other thing that comes to mind is the Seven Mile Bridge. It's seven miles, with an adequate bike lane, a guardrail and then a far drop to the ocean. There will be trucks passing you at 50+ mph... I don't care what the speed limit is. Let's just say it was a butt-clenching experience. We met in Port St. Lucie at 4 AM and drove to Key Largo. After the ride, we showered at a public park and changed in the van, drove back to Key Largo where we ate dinner. Then we drove back to Port St. Lucie and arrived at about 3 or 4 AM. It was a LONG DAY but so much fun.

That being said, I would do it again and would ask my friends if we didn't have the COVID concerns with cramming in a van for three hours to get to Key Largo and four to five hours back home.
Bassmanbob is offline  
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 11-07-20, 06:02 PM
  #7  
Supersixer2020
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode Marathon to Key West this year on the Sunday of Martin Luther weekend. Traffic was light and the shoulder on the 7mile bridge was wider than I was prepared for. I was fortunate to have a cross/tail wind. Rode solo. If riding into a headwind it would have been tough. There's no protection most of the ride. Great Pizza place in Marathon and stayed at Coconut Cay resort. One of employees was an avid cyclist and took time to talk about ride. Need lock if stopping along route for any extended stops.
Supersixer2020 is offline  
Old 11-07-20, 06:25 PM
  #8  
one4smoke
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Nashville, TN.
Posts: 2,028

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Jmpierce View Post
Didn't bike it yet but the best time to go visit the Keys is the week before Christmas. Everyone is visiting family and traffic is very light. The week after it starts getting bust.
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob View Post
I live about two hours north of Miami and organized a century ride from Key Largo to Key West for some friends and me in February 2018. We had a blast! I chose February because there aren't many organized rides I was interested in here in Florida in the dead of "winter." I also didn't want to do it between April- October when the heat would be hellacious. December is busy for the holidays and I'm busy January and March with professional obligations.

It went very well, but it was a few months after Hurricane Irma damaged the Keys. Overall, there was still some damage, but most of the infrastructure was back. We biked mostly on the street (and bike lanes), but we didn't use the bike paths too much-- at least I didn't seek out every one. There were bike paths we didn't use, considering we weren't touring. We were doing a one day century. One thing I remember was that Marathon Key seemed to be the most commercial but with no bike lanes. We had to ride the sidewalks with many side streets to cross. At the time, they were repaving the side streets, so it was rough. Thankfully that lasted only a few miles-- I think. The other thing that comes to mind is the Seven Mile Bridge. It's seven miles, with an adequate bike lane, a guardrail and then a far drop to the ocean. There will be trucks passing you at 50+ mph... I don't care what the speed limit is. Let's just say it was a butt-clenching experience. We met in Port St. Lucie at 4 AM and drove to Key Largo. After the ride, we showered at a public park and changed in the van, drove back to Key Largo where we ate dinner. Then we drove back to Port St. Lucie and arrived at about 3 or 4 AM. It was a LONG DAY but so much fun.

That being said, I would do it again and would ask my friends if we didn't have the COVID concerns with cramming in a van for three hours to get to Key Largo and four to five hours back home.
Originally Posted by Supersixer2020 View Post
I rode Marathon to Key West this year on the Sunday of Martin Luther weekend. Traffic was light and the shoulder on the 7mile bridge was wider than I was prepared for. I was fortunate to have a cross/tail wind. Rode solo. If riding into a headwind it would have been tough. There's no protection most of the ride. Great Pizza place in Marathon and stayed at Coconut Cay resort. One of employees was an avid cyclist and took time to talk about ride. Need lock if stopping along route for any extended stops.
What time of the year is best for minimal wind? I believe someone told me either January or February some time ago, but Iím not sure.
one4smoke is offline  
Old 11-08-20, 01:42 AM
  #9  
Korina
Happy banana slug
 
Korina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way
Posts: 2,075

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 2016 Giant Liv Rove Lite, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked 429 Times in 292 Posts
one4smoke , have you checked out the Regional Discussion Forum's Southeast subforum?
Korina is offline  
Old 11-08-20, 07:31 PM
  #10  
Bassmanbob
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 764

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke View Post
What time of the year is best for minimal wind? I believe someone told me either January or February some time ago, but Iím not sure.
I'm not sure what time of year has minimal wind, but I do remember that the wind is more commonly coming out of the east in February. We did have a little tailwind which was nice.
Bassmanbob is offline  
Old 11-09-20, 09:15 PM
  #11  
Lakerat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 475
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
If you come down from the north in the winter, plan on a couple of days of acclimatizing to the heat. Point to point or out and backs on the main road gets a little monotonous, but sight seeing in the neighborhoods on the bay and ocean sides is fun. Rain storms can pop up quick and really come down.
Lakerat is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.