Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What happened to 27" wheels/tires

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What happened to 27" wheels/tires

Old 01-02-21, 01:28 PM
  #51  
sovende
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Western WI (USA)
Posts: 553

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by macattack71
I upgraded my old 1987 Raleigh Technium 440 to 700C and 10 sp 2 years ago. The old Araya wheels, stem shifter and brakes were worthless. This bike wouldn't stop. Thanks Ben at Velomine! Some new Tektro brakes with more reach, Tiagra 4600 and she is way better to ride than ever. Went from 27 x 1 1/4" to 700C x 32mm. Mainly used for bad weather and gravel trail rides. I never had trouble finding tires for it previously, used it quite a bit on the trainer too.
I have a similar vintage Technium that I built up from a bare frame-



While I had the option to use 700c wheels, I had a decent set of 27" wheels available so I used those. The Vittoria tires that I'm using were on clearance at NashBar several years ago and are prolly are the closest thing to "high end i.e. quality tires" that I have on any bike that I ride on a regular basis.

Last edited by sovende; 01-02-21 at 04:47 PM.
sovende is offline  
Old 01-04-21, 12:19 PM
  #52  
Bagel Bob
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BobRuth
I have let a few years go by and find myself wanting to get my bicycle back in shape for mostly just "sensible exercise". Just to start "moving"!!!!
Mine is (I believe) a late 70's Raleigh Record and it has 27" wheels and uses 27" x 1 1/4" tires. I started looking for new tires and ONE thing that I seem to have discovered concerns me.

Looking at the websites of local bike shops.... they do not have ANYTHING in 27".
Looking at place where one might commonly find bike tires & tubes (Thinking WalMart... places like that).... they do not have ANYTHING in 27"

I can find them in places where I have to order them..... but the real surprise was that local shops don't have them.

Did I miss a memo?
What happened?

Bob
What happened is that America has stopped manufacturing pretty much anything and the rest of the world doesn't know about inches, feet, or miles. We need to get in sync. The metric system make SO much more sense.
Bagel Bob is offline  
Old 01-04-21, 12:36 PM
  #53  
wle
Senior Member
 
wle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: atlanta ga
Posts: 245

Bikes: road: 1999 GT road:40Kmi+ // 2001 fuji finest AL:9Kmi+//1991 schwinn paramount ODG:0.1Kmi+

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
27" amazon

amazon will have tons of them
wle is offline  
Old 01-04-21, 01:21 PM
  #54  
Cycle Tourist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 651
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Just curious to know if anyone has tried folding tires on hookless rims and how that worked out. Serious question.
Don't do it without ear plugs. Seriously.😁
Cycle Tourist is offline  
Old 01-04-21, 03:31 PM
  #55  
slcurts
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 35

Bikes: Kona Sutra * Trek T2000 * Specialized Roubaix * 90 Gary Fisher Paragon * 71 Columbia Twosome * 66 Raleigh Sports * 36 Dawes tandem * 1925 Granby * 1908 Cleveland Swell * 1899 Gormully & Jeffries Rambler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
I recently restored a ~1950 French bike that paradoxically has 27" wheels, and I had trouble finding tires even on Amazon - all the Pasela listings I found were sold out. I did find this rather nice looking skinwall set on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pak-Vee-T...t/292286209376
slcurts is offline  
Old 01-04-21, 06:37 PM
  #56  
Cycle Tourist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 651
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 120 Posts
Touring bikes stayed with 27" tires later than many models because they were easier to find back in the 80's in many areas. Many retailers listed their bikes at 27", 26" or 24" based on wheel size rather than frame size. 700c wheels were used exclusively on racing or racing styled bikes at first but gradually became more popular and 27" are now seen only on older bikes. I have a lovely set of trek Matrix wheels that I use on my old Miyata or Maruishi touring bikes that I treasure. Unfortunately many 27" rims are not hooked and should only be used with non-folding tires in my opinion. I've blown a tube or two because I didn't check the (use on hooked rims only) warning. I've used non-hooked rims on tours of thousands of miles with no problem however so with the correct tires you'll be ok. In a pinch Walmart or Target still stock them usually but they are getting more scarce. It's probably smarter to change to 700c and there are chinese wheels that are "popularly priced" and sturdy but get something good if your planning on living out of your bike. With folding tires you can carry a spare tire easily which is nice if you suddenly discover your riding on what looks like canvas far from civilization.
For 27" tires I like gatorskins for touring. They're comfortable and they don't flat easily. They don't handle as well as others but loaded with camping gear I don't notice the difference. They last pretty well too. I can't tell you how many Kendra tires I've tossed with barely worn tread but unsafe sidewalls. You'll never regret spending a little more on tires whatever size you have.
Cycle Tourist is offline  
Old 01-04-21, 07:12 PM
  #57  
sunburst
Senior Member
 
sunburst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,727

Bikes: Giant, Trek, Peugeots, Motobecane, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by BobRuth
I have let a few years go by and find myself wanting to get my bicycle back in shape for mostly just "sensible exercise". Just to start "moving"!!!!
Mine is (I believe) a late 70's Raleigh Record and it has 27" wheels and uses 27" x 1 1/4" tires. I started looking for new tires and ONE thing that I seem to have discovered concerns me.

Looking at the websites of local bike shops.... they do not have ANYTHING in 27".
Looking at place where one might commonly find bike tires & tubes (Thinking WalMart... places like that).... they do not have ANYTHING in 27"

I can find them in places where I have to order them..... but the real surprise was that local shops don't have them.

Did I miss a memo?
What happened?

Bob
I was asking the guy at Performance a couple of years ago why don't they have a selection. They had one model Forte in 27" that was VERY uninspiring. I wanted Schwalbe or something decent. His answer "you won't believe how many we sell of that tire!" Yeah, because they only have that one model (crap) tire.
sunburst is offline  
Old 01-04-21, 08:19 PM
  #58  
SurferRosa
señor miembro
 
SurferRosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 7,370

Bikes: Old school lightweights

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3168 Post(s)
Liked 4,741 Times in 2,467 Posts
Originally Posted by BobRuth
Did I miss a memo? What happened?
Bob
Bob, check out this sticky over in c&v:

The ultimate 27" tire reference thread!
SurferRosa is offline  
Old 01-09-21, 07:39 PM
  #59  
sovende
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Western WI (USA)
Posts: 553

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by sovende
I too, have been noticing that 27” tires seem to be scarce. There is online availability but prices are clearly on the rise. The type and level of my cycling activities does not compel me to seek out the “best of the best”. I want tires that are good enough and relatively inexpensive! I’ve purchased many tires over the years and many have been brands that (at least at one time) were considered “high quality”. Nowadays, the “quality brands” are not what I consider to be reasonably priced. I have a couple of pairs of the Bell “Flat Defender” tires carried by WalMart. Regional prices must vary though since the $8.96 shown in a previous post in this thread is considerably less than the $14.96/tire that I paid. I check the stock levels at my local WalMart and have found that it’s rare to see more than a pair of these tires on the display shelf. I don’t know just where these Bell (Innova) tires fall on the quality spectrum but they seem to perform fine for me. (I may be too unsophisticated to know the difference). Several of the bikes I ride roll with 27” wheel sets so I’m definitely hoping that 27” tires remain available into the foreseeable future.
I’ve also noticed a relative scarcity of 27” tubes (at least in my locale). I was pleased to see the post in this thread that confirmed, as I suspected, that larger sized i.e. 28-32 700c tubes will work for 27 x 1 1/8” - 27 x 1 3/8” tires . My local WalMart (today) had their larger 700c tubes clearance priced at $1.96 (reg $4.96). Presta valve’d too!
sovende is offline  
Old 10-05-21, 10:22 PM
  #60  
Vintage Schwinn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 336 Times in 224 Posts
The Bikesmiths(414)332-1330 in Milwaukee have plenty of 27" Kendas and Panaselas....see: the_bikesmiths (99.9% ebay store) ...bikesmiths.com =website.
There are other really great sources that carry some 27" tires such as (wheel and sprocket of appleton wisc....have ebay store also) and (trailthis....have ebay store too).
There are many more quality suppliers. Those are just several that I have dealt with over the years. Check all of the others and then compare their website, ebay store and Amazon listings for the best quantity discount/shipping cost when purchasing. I mean if your Amazon Prime membership gets you slightly better overall cost because of reduced shipping, well why the hell not.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37226314290...EAAOSw73Naw9PH

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37312894981...YAAOSwnGJWTLwW

(#372263142905 = 2pk of Panasela 27" tires & #373128949810 = 2pk of Kenda 27" tires on thE bay from the_bikesmiths 99.9% milwaukee )


Even with the package delivery services like UPS, Fed Ex & US Postal system being slightly slow because of the huge number of parcels being shipped now, you can expect to receive your tires within a week. No worries about whether it is too hot, too cold or raining or snowing because you don't need to drive to the local bike shop or the local walmart because they aren't going to have any 27" tires in stock anyway. The bonehead minimum wage flunkies at the LBS will tell you: "Dude ya need to convert to 700C wheels cuz we don't have no twenty-sevens, and they don't make them cuz dude we ain't never sold any" That isn't too far fetched from what moron Justin might tell you at the LBS, unless you actually talk to someone over 45 there who is half-way knowledgeable and not a half wit like Justin.
There is no reason to convert your old 27" wheel bike because YOU CAN PURCHASE NEW 27" TIRES THAT ARE DECENT ENOUGH. The Fed Ex guy or the UPS guy will deliver it to your doorstep within a week. The only thing to worry about is "Porch-Pirates" stealing UPS & Fed-Ex deliveries in your neighborhood. If that is a concern, you could ship it to your office address. Remember the old LET YOUR FINGERS DO THE WALKIN (yellow pages' 1970's ad), well let your fingers do the walkin and let the new tires arrive upon your doorstep. Just because Wallyworld and Your Local Bike Shop don't stock the 27" tires does not mean that they are not manufactured in large quantities and widely available on the web. Order some new replacement 27" tires from some web source and as Bachman Turner Overdrive sang back in the Seventies:....." Ride, Ride, Ride......."
Vintage Schwinn is offline  
Old 10-06-21, 01:35 AM
  #61  
Lazyass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minas Ithil
Posts: 9,335
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2431 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 389 Posts
Since we're keeping this one alive....

Because of the larger diameter, 27 inch wheels ride very smooth. The MTB industry went from 26 to 29 for a reason. I think they should revive 27's for gravel bikes. Light/wide 27 inch disc rims and some 45mm tires. Stop measuring them by inches.

My Univega is really stable on gravel and dirt roads and Pasela's are great tires. These are 27x1-1/14" measure out to about 32mm. They glide over those rail road tracks.

Lazyass is offline  
Old 10-08-21, 05:19 PM
  #62  
Hiro11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,606

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Since we're keeping this one alive....

Because of the larger diameter, 27 inch wheels ride very smooth. The MTB industry went from 26 to 29 for a reason. I think they should revive 27's for gravel bikes. Light/wide 27 inch disc rims and some 45mm tires. Stop measuring them by inches
Unlikely. Larger tires on a 700c will give you the same roll over with the added benefit of more cush.
Hiro11 is offline  
Old 10-08-21, 07:30 PM
  #63  
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Metro Indy, IN
Posts: 16,194

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 218 Posts
While riding in a nearby neighborhood, noticed a bike sitting near the street with some other items - appeared to be giveaways. Stopped for a moment and found it was a old Miyata. Drove back in a while and rang the doorbell - confirmed by the owner it was mine for the taking. Which I did. Mid-80's Miyata Ninety looks to be in good shape. I plan to donate it to a local non-profit organization that helps kids learn to work on bikes, among other projects. (Freewheelin' Community Bikes) Bike still sporting what could be original tires (????), which are Miyata Sport 27 x 1 1/4.

__________________
Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
JanMM is offline  
Old 10-09-21, 01:28 AM
  #64  
Lazyass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minas Ithil
Posts: 9,335
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2431 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 389 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Unlikely. Larger tires on a 700c will give you the same roll over with the added benefit of more cush.
But larger tires of the same width on a 27 will obviously still have a larger diameter. That's the point I'm making. It would be smooth as hell. But I know it's unlikely.
Lazyass is offline  
Old 10-09-21, 06:58 AM
  #65  
sovende
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Western WI (USA)
Posts: 553

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Since we're keeping this one alive....

Because of the larger diameter, 27 inch wheels ride very smooth. The MTB industry went from 26 to 29 for a reason. I think they should revive 27's for gravel bikes. Light/wide 27 inch disc rims and some 45mm tires. Stop measuring them by inches.

My Univega is really stable on gravel and dirt roads and Pasela's are great tires. These are 27x1-1/14" measure out to about 32mm. They glide over those rail road tracks.

Nice bike! I have a few that are set up,in a similar fashion. 27x1 1/4” tires DO make for a comfortable, stable ride on gravel as well as blacktop surfaces. I don’t have anything against the 700c wheel size and have a few in that mode too. Most are used for “true” road riding but occasionally roll on packed limestone trails. None have tires wider than 25mm.
Bottom line, I too, hope 27” remain available at reasonable prices. IMHO there’s no need to drop the 27” labeling in favor of metric only labeling, it’s just not necessary. Just sayin’.
sovende is offline  
Old 10-09-21, 07:11 AM
  #66  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 14,593

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7169 Post(s)
Liked 2,626 Times in 1,432 Posts
When you say "smooth as hell" I am pretty sure we all know you are exaggerating. I am pretty sure the differences the minimal difference in overall diameter would be almost unnoticeable .... based on the fact that I don't feel a "smooth as hell" sensation when I ride my 27"-equipped '84 Cannondale versus any of my 700c bikes.

A 29" MTB set-up is Significantly greater in diameter than a 26" set-up---so there is a significant increase in roll-over capability, which matters on very uneven surfaces. On pavement, I sincerely doubt there would be a any noticeable difference between a 27" and a 700c running equivalent tires---based on actual experiments.

Others' mileage will vary.
Maelochs is offline  
Old 10-09-21, 07:18 AM
  #67  
friday1970
Senior Member
 
friday1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Brighton, Michigan
Posts: 642

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 101 Posts
As informative as this thread could be, lock it up. Already dumb politics a few posts in.
As far as 27 tires are concerned, visit a thread at the top of the C&V forum. I use Conti Ultrasports on my older 27".
friday1970 is offline  
Old 10-09-21, 07:20 AM
  #68  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 14,593

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7169 Post(s)
Liked 2,626 Times in 1,432 Posts
^ Conti Ultrasports on my C'dale .... you are a man of wisdom.
Maelochs is offline  
Old 10-09-21, 07:39 AM
  #69  
Flatforkcrown
Full Member
 
Flatforkcrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Barboursville, Va
Posts: 289

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 159 Posts
4mm. That’s the real difference between 27 and 700. 622 vs 630 bsd. So a 700 tire in 36mm would have the same outside diameter as a 27 in 32mm. Not a big enough difference to set up tooling and manufacturing for a dead tire size.
Flatforkcrown is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.