Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dangit. Tore thread(s) in the casing.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Dangit. Tore thread(s) in the casing.

Old 01-04-21, 04:09 AM
  #1  
duffer1960
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 579

Bikes: Fred cycles

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Dangit. Tore thread(s) in the casing.

Was putting on my Suomi/Nokian W106 studded tires. Heard at least one of the threads in the casing snap when I was stretching the bead over the rim. Dang it. Is there a fool-proof method of putting tires on so you don't ruin them? Not the first tire I've damaged in this way, but definitely the most expensive.
duffer1960 is offline  
Old 01-04-21, 06:33 AM
  #2  
John_V 
Senior Member
 
John_V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,586

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 85 Posts
Not sure if this will help in your situation but are you mounting the tires with both beads in the middle of the rim? I have to do that with my American Classic wheels or I'll ruin tires and break tire levers trying to get a tire on.
__________________
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
John_V is offline  
Old 01-04-21, 09:32 AM
  #3  
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Posts: 11,920

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1292 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 293 Posts
It takes a heckuva lot of force to break a bead. Are you sure that's what happened?
BlazingPedals is offline  
Old 01-05-21, 01:47 AM
  #4  
duffer1960
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 579

Bikes: Fred cycles

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V View Post
Not sure if this will help in your situation but are you mounting the tires with both beads in the middle of the rim? I have to do that with my American Classic wheels or I'll ruin tires and break tire levers trying to get a tire on.
Not sure what you mean by that. I put one bead fully on.. that's easy... get the valve stem through.. completely deflate the tube while.. getting the other bead on. It's the last few inches that take some force.

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
It takes a heckuva lot of force to break a bead. Are you sure that's what happened?
Not breaking the bead wire, just snapping one or more threads in the casing when pushing the last few inches over the rim. No, not even sure that's what happened. The tire is on and performing fine. My concern is I've shortened the life of the tire. Maybe not much if only one thread got broken. The effect I'd fear is the tire would eventually get a wiggle or bulge that would force me to retire it. That has happened with another tire, on the other hand they were cheap tires and rather old and worn at the time... may have been casing fatigue that would've happened anyway.

--------------

I didn't have to use tire levers; these don't seem that tight. Maybe if I had used tire levers, and levered the last few inches over without dragging them hard on the edge of the rim. Sounds easy enough.

Last edited by duffer1960; 01-05-21 at 02:46 AM.
duffer1960 is offline  
Old 01-05-21, 06:56 AM
  #5  
John_V 
Senior Member
 
John_V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,586

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by duffer1960
Not sure what you mean by that. I put one bead fully on.. that's easy... get the valve stem through.. completely deflate the tube while.. getting the other bead on. It's the last few inches that take some force.
After you have one side of the tire mounted and the tube in, as you start mounting the other side of the tire, push both sides that have been mounted toward the center of the wheel so that the wire beads are touching each other. Before you mount the last few inches of the tire, go around the tire and make sure that what you have mounted is still in the center of the wheel, Those last few inches should pop right on, often times without a tire lever. This method also helps prevent pinch flats since the tube has to be inside the tire in order for the beads to be touching each other.
__________________
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
John_V is offline  
Likes For John_V:
Old 01-05-21, 03:41 PM
  #6  
duffer1960
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 579

Bikes: Fred cycles

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V View Post
After you have one side of the tire mounted and the tube in, as you start mounting the other side of the tire, push both sides that have been mounted toward the center of the wheel so that the wire beads are touching each other. Before you mount the last few inches of the tire, go around the tire and make sure that what you have mounted is still in the center of the wheel, Those last few inches should pop right on, often times without a tire lever. This method also helps prevent pinch flats since the tube has to be inside the tire in order for the beads to be touching each other.
Thanks. Yes, sounds right.
duffer1960 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.