Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you Oil Pivot Points Regularly?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you Oil Pivot Points Regularly?

Old 01-31-21, 10:32 AM
  #1  
Moisture
Drip, Drip.
Thread Starter
 
Moisture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 1,000
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 88 Posts
Do you Oil Pivot Points Regularly?

I have learned the hard way what riding around in gritty/wet conditions does to your lines and derailleurs in the absence of some fenders.

Since then, I make sure to regularly scrub down the pivot points and springs on both derailleurs as well as on my side-pull brakes .

I have some jig-a-loo oil laying around, silicone based stuff which i don't think is very ideal for bicycle application, at least not for your chain because it washes off very easily. I like it because it doesn't seem to attract must dirt and grit specifically to the areas you are trying to keep clean.

I carefully spray a few dabs of oil onto the small pivot points found on the corners of my derailleur body front and rear after scrubbing those areas down. I also try to spray a bit of oil into the lines. It makes the shifting remarkably smooth.

This is especially important for my old Dia-Compe side pull brakes, as I find that they are constantly in need of some re centering. Keeping the pivot points greased, clean and oiled helps with braking feel/effort tremendously.

Since then, i have had zero issues with my front derailleur failing to return to first gear properly due to grit stuck inside the spring, and shifting has been much more smooth and seamless.

As for the chain itself, I am planning to buy some bike specific lube, such as WD40 for bikes.
Moisture is offline  
Old 01-31-21, 10:47 AM
  #2  
Litespud
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Chapel Hill NC
Posts: 1,261

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S, Nashbar 3sp commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 479 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture View Post
I have learned the hard way what riding around in gritty/wet conditions does to your lines and derailleurs in the absence of some fenders.

Since then, I make sure to regularly scrub down the pivot points and springs on both derailleurs as well as on my side-pull brakes .

I have some jig-a-loo oil laying around, silicone based stuff which i don't think is very ideal for bicycle application, at least not for your chain because it washes off very easily. I like it because it doesn't seem to attract must dirt and grit specifically to the areas you are trying to keep clean.

I carefully spray a few dabs of oil onto the small pivot points found on the corners of my derailleur body front and rear after scrubbing those areas down. I also try to spray a bit of oil into the lines. It makes the shifting remarkably smooth.

This is especially important for my old Dia-Compe side pull brakes, as I find that they are constantly in need of some re centering. Keeping the pivot points greased, clean and oiled helps with braking feel/effort tremendously.

Since then, i have had zero issues with my front derailleur failing to return to first gear properly due to grit stuck inside the spring, and shifting has been much more smooth and seamless.

As for the chain itself, I am planning to buy some bike specific lube, such as WD40 for bikes.
I always squirt some lube into the derailleur and brake pivot points after I wash the bike, since this involves some indiscriminate squishing about with a soapy sponge and a hose rinse (because Iím a lazy git, this is every couple of months, at most). Components are going on 20 years and >60,000 miles and still perfect, so somethingís going right. I would suggest something other than WD40, which is more volatile carrier solvent than lube, as a chain lube. There are any number of actual chain lubes out there, including dry lubes (cleaner, but best for dry climates), wet lubes (better for wetter climes), wax, homebrews combining engine oil and spirit, even plain olí 3-in-1
Litespud is offline  
Old 01-31-21, 11:26 AM
  #3  
Moisture
Drip, Drip.
Thread Starter
 
Moisture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 1,000
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud View Post
I always squirt some lube into the derailleur and brake pivot points after I wash the bike, since this involves some indiscriminate squishing about with a soapy sponge and a hose rinse (because Iím a lazy git, this is every couple of months, at most). Components are going on 20 years and >60,000 miles and still perfect, so somethingís going right. I would suggest something other than WD40, which is more volatile carrier solvent than lube, as a chain lube. There are any number of actual chain lubes out there, including dry lubes (cleaner, but best for dry climates), wet lubes (better for wetter climes), wax, homebrews combining engine oil and spirit, even plain olí 3-in-1
there is actually a wd40 oil specially for bike chains. Not the generic canned stuff.

You suggest using wax for the chain? Could be a good idea. Repels water. Is mixing engine oil with spirit worth it? What about rubbing some petroleum on the chain?
Moisture is offline  
Old 01-31-21, 01:31 PM
  #4  
berner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bristol, R. I.
Posts: 4,320

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 289 Posts
A bit of lube on pivot points is a good idea. About once a year, say 3000 miles, I remove the crank assembly for cleaning as grit accumulates there. About the same frequency, I spray lube the shifters with Slick 50. I think this helps as I always feel better afterwards.
berner is offline  
Likes For berner:
Old 01-31-21, 03:03 PM
  #5  
cxwrench
Senior Member
 
cxwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 1,390

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 390 Posts
OP...I know you're busy w/ tons of random posts from all the threads you've started but don't you think this thread should logically be in 'bicycle mechanics'? I realize that no one cares and just posts every damn thing in GD but think about it for a second...makes sense, right?
cxwrench is offline  
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 01-31-21, 03:59 PM
  #6  
hillyman
WALSTIB
 
hillyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,798
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 180 Posts
Nope. If I took care of stuff I wouldn't have an excuse to buy a new bike part.
__________________
www.bikeleague.org


Last edited by hillyman; 01-31-21 at 04:20 PM.
hillyman is offline  
Likes For hillyman:
Old 01-31-21, 04:01 PM
  #7  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 29,235
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12766 Post(s)
Liked 5,061 Times in 2,606 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
OP...I know you're busy w/ tons of random posts from all the threads you've started but don't you think this thread should logically be in 'bicycle mechanics'? I realize that no one cares and just posts every damn thing in GD but think about it for a second...makes sense, right?
He wouldnít get the attention he needs there.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-31-21, 04:38 PM
  #8  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,405
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2687 Post(s)
Liked 3,487 Times in 1,570 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
OP...I know you're busy w/ tons of random posts from all the threads you've started but don't you think this thread should logically be in 'bicycle mechanics'? I realize that no one cares and just posts every damn thing in GD but think about it for a second...makes sense, right?
The forum also has a search functionÖ Or Google would work pretty well, too.

Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
He wouldnít get the attention he needs there.
Thatís the only conclusion I can come to.
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-31-21, 04:41 PM
  #9  
Bigbus
Very Senior Member
 
Bigbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Always on the Run
Posts: 1,006

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 172 Posts
I live in a wet climate that necessitates the need for constant cleaning. Almost after every ride, especially in the winter. I put a drop of 3in1 on the brake and DR pivot points after washing and I wax the chain about every 100 miles-sooner if it starts making noise. The hubs, BB, and head all get serviced once a year during the dry week we might have during the summer. I have found waxing to be the best for my climate and I don't get oil stains on my clothes if I accidentally rub the chain. Of course it helps that the room where I do my chain waxing also has a pool table and a large screen TV so it's not a bother waiting for wax to melt. Just saying...
Bigbus is offline  
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 01-31-21, 04:55 PM
  #10  
trailangel
Senior Member
 
trailangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 4,593

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1758 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 304 Posts
With a bike similar to Moisture, I don't think any oiling is required.
trailangel is offline  
Likes For trailangel:
Old 01-31-21, 05:32 PM
  #11  
Ghazmh
Senior Member
 
Ghazmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The banks of the River Charles
Posts: 1,505

Bikes: 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520, 2006 Gary Fisher Montare

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 221 Posts
A few drip drops of Tri-Flow on the pivot points and move on. Is this for the 920????
Ghazmh is offline  
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 01-31-21, 05:49 PM
  #12  
shelbyfv
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 8,083
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 1,973 Times in 1,066 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh View Post
A few drip drops of Tri-Flow on the pivot points and move on. Is this for the 920????
Good one
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-31-21, 06:08 PM
  #13  
HD3andMe
You need a Trail Chickenô
 
HD3andMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 609

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO ||| Ibis HD3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 207 Posts
Same cry for attention, different day.

HD3andMe is offline  
Likes For HD3andMe:
Old 01-31-21, 08:33 PM
  #14  
cubewheels
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 1,596

Bikes: A really old BMX bike, Phantom 20 kid's MTB, Jackal Mio Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture View Post
I have learned the hard way what riding around in gritty/wet conditions does to your lines and derailleurs in the absence of some fenders.
I do it at the same time with the chain both rear and front derailleurs. Just lube and wipe.

And I have full fenders on my bike, they make a huge difference in keeping your drivetrain grit-free, even in dry conditions! They can considerably reduce drivetrain maintenance intervals. Like right now, I'm doing close to 500 km between lubes (wet lube) if riding conditions is completely dry.
cubewheels is offline  
Likes For cubewheels:
Old 01-31-21, 08:50 PM
  #15  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 29,235
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12766 Post(s)
Liked 5,061 Times in 2,606 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
Like right now, I'm doing close to 500 km between lubes (wet lube) if riding conditions is completely dry.
Thatís it? You need better lube.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 01-31-21, 08:55 PM
  #16  
GlennR
On Your Left
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Posts: 7,877

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2635 Post(s)
Liked 1,815 Times in 931 Posts
Ah.. a lube topic.
GlennR is offline  
Likes For GlennR:
Old 01-31-21, 09:31 PM
  #17  
cubewheels
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 1,596

Bikes: A really old BMX bike, Phantom 20 kid's MTB, Jackal Mio Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
That’s it? You need better lube.
I ride in very gritty road conditions. Very often there's lots of dust blown over the roads by the wind and I also frequently ride in roads made incredibly dusty by trucks transporting sand and cement and some of these sections are relatively technical gravel, badly damaged road sections (broken apart by those heavy trucks) that never got fixed.

My bike gets this dirty in just couple days of riding in the same route. The dusty sections are often muddy even if the weather is dry (blocked drainage, construction, etc). Full fenders are utter necessity because what made those mud is often sewer water!. I've grown tired of cleaning the bike everytime, I just leave it be in its muddy glory!


Last edited by cubewheels; 01-31-21 at 09:35 PM.
cubewheels is offline  
Old 01-31-21, 10:07 PM
  #18  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 29,235
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12766 Post(s)
Liked 5,061 Times in 2,606 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
I ride in very gritty road conditions. Very often there's lots of dust blown over the roads by the wind and I also frequently ride in roads made incredibly dusty by trucks transporting sand and cement and some of these sections are relatively technical gravel, badly damaged road sections (broken apart by those heavy trucks) that never got fixed.

My bike gets this dirty in just couple days of riding in the same route. The dusty sections are often muddy even if the weather is dry (blocked drainage, construction, etc). Full fenders are utter necessity because what made those mud is often sewer water!. I've grown tired of cleaning the bike everytime, I just leave it be in its muddy glory!
Whatevs. Make sure you lube your pivot points.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-31-21, 11:13 PM
  #19  
cubewheels
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 1,596

Bikes: A really old BMX bike, Phantom 20 kid's MTB, Jackal Mio Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Whatevs. Make sure you lube your pivot points.
I do, same time with the chain. Thanks to the long mudguard though, the RD incuding the lower jockey wheel doesn't take direct hit from the mud spray of the front wheel.

The drivetrain quickly became dirty when I didn't have full fenders even if never ridden over muddy or wet conditions so I keep them on all-year round.
cubewheels is offline  
Old 02-01-21, 12:18 AM
  #20  
UCantTouchThis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 861
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 670 Times in 321 Posts
Move to California, you only have to lube the pivot points once a year. Which is good because over here, that is about all we can afford!
UCantTouchThis is offline  
Likes For UCantTouchThis:
Old 02-01-21, 09:13 AM
  #21  
Gresp15C
Senior Member
 
Gresp15C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,544
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 308 Posts
If I've learned anything from lube threads, combining all of the answers into one general principle:

Do what works for you. If it doesn't work for you, try something else.

What works for me is "whatever was in the house when we moved in, plus whatever I'm trying to get rid of." So the specific brands don't matter. One is a light mineral oil in a bottle labelled ZOOM SPOUT OILER, Contains Highest Quality TURBINE OIL. It's redeeming feature is a refillable bottle. I think I filled it with motor oil. A refillable oiler means you no longer need to be brand conscious about your oil.

I'm trying to stop using oils in spray cans, since most of the stuff goes everywhere but where it's needed, and it's a waste. My garage floor doesn't need any more oil. Ski wax is bad enough.
Gresp15C is offline  
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 02-01-21, 09:21 AM
  #22  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 8,894

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 359 Posts
Pivot points are actually simple machines, levers actually. Since they are, yes they do need to be oiled. And I do recommend oil, not WD40 or some other high priced mouse milk!!! Just plain oil will do just fine.
rydabent is offline  
Old 02-01-21, 09:29 AM
  #23  
Moisture
Drip, Drip.
Thread Starter
 
Moisture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 1,000
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 88 Posts
Whats a good durable oil that lasts through wet conditions you guys can recommend me? For either derailleurs/side pullers and chain
Moisture is offline  
Old 02-01-21, 09:40 AM
  #24  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,405
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2687 Post(s)
Liked 3,487 Times in 1,570 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture View Post
Whats a good durable oil that lasts through wet conditions you guys can recommend me? For either derailleurs/side pullers and chain
For once, why don't you try the search function? Go read all of the lube threads before making another post.

See you in a hundred years.
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-01-21, 09:43 AM
  #25  
Happy Feet
Senior Member
 
Happy Feet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Left Coast, Canada
Posts: 4,774
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked 1,093 Times in 586 Posts
Mink oil.

keeps their coats shiny and you never hear them coming.
Happy Feet is offline  
Likes For Happy Feet:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.