Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dremel rotary tool for removing tire sealant

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Dremel rotary tool for removing tire sealant

Old 02-16-21, 11:31 AM
  #1  
b88
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 58

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Creo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Dremel rotary tool for removing tire sealant

Has anyone tried using a Dremel rotary sander to remove the hardened sealant from the edges of the tubeless tires. It takes forever to pry the junk off with needle nose pliers. But I'm thinking it might just sand off some rubber as well if you get too heavy handed.
b88 is offline  
Old 02-16-21, 11:35 AM
  #2  
HD3andMe
You need a Trail Chicken™
 
HD3andMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 609

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO ||| Ibis HD3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by b88 View Post
Has anyone tried using a Dremel rotary sander to remove the hardened sealant from the edges of the tubeless tires. It takes forever to pry the junk off with needle nose pliers. But I'm thinking it might just sand off some rubber as well if you get too heavy handed.
Why do you imagine that it needs to be removed?
HD3andMe is offline  
Old 02-16-21, 11:44 AM
  #3  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,396
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe View Post
Why do you imagine that it needs to be removed?
My thoughts exactly.

If you're using power tools to clean your bike tires, your problem isn't sealant.
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-16-21, 11:48 AM
  #4  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 29,225
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12764 Post(s)
Liked 5,060 Times in 2,606 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
My thoughts exactly.

If you're using power tools to clean your bike tires, your problem isn't sealant.
IIRC, the stuff is water soluble. (I don't replace sealant. My mechanics do.)
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-16-21, 12:00 PM
  #5  
b88
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 58

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Creo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I keep thinking same thing but then I go on you tube and .....
b88 is offline  
Old 02-16-21, 02:32 PM
  #6  
dsaul
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,864
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 272 Posts
If you can't get it off with your fingers, it doesn't need to come off. The next batch of sealant will seal up the bead.
dsaul is offline  
Old 02-16-21, 02:42 PM
  #7  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 39,893

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2543 Post(s)
Liked 1,812 Times in 895 Posts
I've just scraped off the excess boogers with my thumbnail. But I'm not sure that's even necessary. Don't you want the old sealant to stay on the inner surface of the tire?
caloso is offline  
Old 02-16-21, 03:18 PM
  #8  
b88
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 58

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Creo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
I've just scraped off the excess boogers with my thumbnail. But I'm not sure that's even necessary. Don't you want the old sealant to stay on the inner surface of the tire?
I pick off any big pieces in the inner surface. I clean up the bead as much as possible. I find excessive old hard sealant on the beads result in faster pressure loss. It doesn’t seal quite as well.
b88 is offline  
Old 02-16-21, 03:21 PM
  #9  
HD3andMe
You need a Trail Chicken™
 
HD3andMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 609

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO ||| Ibis HD3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by b88 View Post
I pick off any big pieces in the inner surface. I clean up the bead as much as possible. I find excessive old hard sealant on the beads result in faster pressure loss. It doesn’t seal quite as well.
Why in the world are you popping the bead in the first place?
HD3andMe is offline  
Old 02-16-21, 09:09 PM
  #10  
b88
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 58

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Creo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe View Post
Why in the world are you popping the bead in the first place?

While I was changing sealant, might as well take the tire off and check it out.

Last edited by b88; 02-16-21 at 09:13 PM.
b88 is offline  
Old 02-16-21, 10:21 PM
  #11  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 21,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 764 Posts
It's good practice to pop the bead and clean the nasty stuff out. I never do on my own bikes though, I'm curious if some of the older tubeless tires have grown squids.

I think a dremel is more likely to do damage to a tire than help. Sure, the tire is getting marginally heavier over time as sealant dries on it, but probably it will wear out before that's particularly significant.
unterhausen is offline  
Old 02-17-21, 12:14 AM
  #12  
HD3andMe
You need a Trail Chicken™
 
HD3andMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 609

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO ||| Ibis HD3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by b88 View Post
While I was changing sealant, might as well take the tire off and check it out.
Sealant doesn’t need to be changed.

if you need to add some, add it through the valve stem.
HD3andMe is offline  
Likes For HD3andMe:
Old 02-17-21, 12:15 AM
  #13  
HD3andMe
You need a Trail Chicken™
 
HD3andMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 609

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO ||| Ibis HD3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
It's good practice to pop the bead and clean the nasty stuff out.
It’s a meaningless exercise. Hardly good practice.
HD3andMe is offline  
Old 02-17-21, 12:31 AM
  #14  
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 11,636

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2267 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
IIRC, the stuff is water soluble.
U R not R’ing C
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17
Darth Lefty is offline  
Old 02-17-21, 12:52 AM
  #15  
b88
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 58

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Creo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
It's good practice to pop the bead and clean the nasty stuff out. I never do on my own bikes though, I'm curious if some of the older tubeless tires have grown squids.

I think a dremel is more likely to do damage to a tire than help. Sure, the tire is getting marginally heavier over time as sealant dries on it, but probably it will wear out before that's particularly significant.

I'm just looking for justification to buy new toys. . Yes the sealant on my other bike have grown squids. I kept puncturing the tire on purpose to see how well the sealant works. Well the dynaplugs sure work. Then I kept pumping it back up with CO2 cartridges. Fastest way to ruin your sealant.

I unseated the tire because I'm using race sealant, which may or may not plug up the valve stem.
b88 is offline  
Old 02-17-21, 12:55 AM
  #16  
HD3andMe
You need a Trail Chicken™
 
HD3andMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 609

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO ||| Ibis HD3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by b88 View Post

I unseated the tire because I'm using race sealant, which may or may not plug up the valve stem.
It doesn’t. You remove the core to add sealant.
HD3andMe is offline  
Likes For HD3andMe:
Old 02-17-21, 01:03 AM
  #17  
b88
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 58

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Creo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe View Post
It doesn’t. You remove the core to add sealant.

Ya my LBS told me not to inject it through the valve. The right method is whatever works for you.
b88 is offline  
Old 02-17-21, 01:07 AM
  #18  
HD3andMe
You need a Trail Chicken™
 
HD3andMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 609

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO ||| Ibis HD3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by b88 View Post
The right method is whatever works for you.
That’s laughable. Thanks for that.
HD3andMe is offline  
Likes For HD3andMe:
Old 02-17-21, 07:48 AM
  #19  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 29,225
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12764 Post(s)
Liked 5,060 Times in 2,606 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
U R not R’ing C
Stan's cleans up with water.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-17-21, 07:55 AM
  #20  
HerrKaLeun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,911

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe View Post
It doesn’t. You remove the core to add sealant.
+1
/thread
HerrKaLeun is offline  
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 02-17-21, 08:03 AM
  #21  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,396
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by b88 View Post
Ya my LBS told me not to inject it through the valve. The right method is whatever works for you.
Injecting it through the valve works for me.

I'm starting to understand why some posters believe that tubeless is sooo much work -- there are a bunch of people making it way more work than it really is.
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-17-21, 10:02 AM
  #22  
5teve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 25 Posts
Stans specifically recommends against injecting their "Race" sealant through the valve, fwiw.
5teve is offline  
Old 02-17-21, 10:06 AM
  #23  
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Posts: 8,553

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4898 Post(s)
Liked 1,690 Times in 943 Posts
I swap out tires every now and again, and all of my bikes are tubeless. I was doing an unsupported 140 miles day after Xmas, so I put on some tougher rubber in place of the happy-medium-style that were on the bike the day before. My method? Take off the sealant filled tire, take it outside, spray it with the hose, fold it up, put it away in the old Igloo Cooler that serves as my tire storage humidor (which currently has 9 or 10 pairs of tires in it.) The stream of water from the hose will take off ~95% of the sealant. There's no need to get a tubeless tire any cleaner than that unless you're planning on selling it.
__________________
DrIsotope is offline  
Old 02-17-21, 10:15 AM
  #24  
b88
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 58

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Creo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
Injecting it through the valve works for me.

I'm starting to understand why some posters believe that tubeless is sooo much work -- there are a bunch of people making it way more work than it really is.
Thanks. All the same I will stick to recommended install.



Stans race sealant.
b88 is offline  
Old 02-17-21, 10:22 AM
  #25  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,396
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
I swap out tires every now and again, and all of my bikes are tubeless. I was doing an unsupported 140 miles day after Xmas, so I put on some tougher rubber in place of the happy-medium-style that were on the bike the day before. My method? Take off the sealant filled tire, take it outside, spray it with the hose, fold it up, put it away in the old Igloo Cooler that serves as my tire storage humidor (which currently has 9 or 10 pairs of tires in it.) The stream of water from the hose will take off ~95% of the sealant. There's no need to get a tubeless tire any cleaner than that unless you're planning on selling it.
Originally Posted by b88 View Post
Thanks. All the same I will stick to recommended install.



Stans race sealant.
You do you, I'll do me.

But perhaps just ponder for a moment: what will happen if you inject it through the valve? How is the end result any different than if you pour it directly into the tire, other than that injecting it is easier and takes less time?
Koyote is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.