Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

power meters

Old 03-18-21, 05:28 PM
  #26  
guachi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 179 Posts
That's about my limit for 500 watts. According to my power curve my best is 500 watts for 61 seconds.

You posted your FTP and max sprint above and while my FTP is about 30 Watts higher at 280 my max sprint is 250 watts lower. My max was 950 Watts (850 5 seconds) when I panicked and raced to beat a light changing red.
guachi is offline  
Old 03-18-21, 06:15 PM
  #27  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,167

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1985 Post(s)
Liked 3,156 Times in 1,305 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi View Post
That's about my limit for 500 watts. According to my power curve my best is 500 watts for 61 seconds.
Gotcha by a nose! 502 W for 62 seconds, here.
tomato coupe is offline  
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-18-21, 06:21 PM
  #28  
DMC707 
Senior Member
 
DMC707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 5,016

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1573 Post(s)
Liked 846 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la View Post
Dial it up to 400.

and Drope The Hamer!
DMC707 is online now  
Likes For DMC707:
Old 03-18-21, 07:03 PM
  #29  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 22,588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2,142 Times in 1,527 Posts
4 watts/kg is a pretty good number and seems doable for most people that aren't old. So weigh yourself, do an FTP test and see where you fit relative to that metric. If you're old, you might be able to get there by losing weight.

I hate to ruin the thread by giving a sincere answer.
unterhausen is offline  
Old 03-18-21, 07:25 PM
  #30  
MoAlpha
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 9,851

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8209 Post(s)
Liked 4,250 Times in 2,284 Posts
A Watt’s wart you get when a frog pisses on you.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 03-18-21, 08:27 PM
  #31  
ofajen
Cheerfully low end
 
ofajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1,454
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 706 Times in 461 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
4 watts/kg is a pretty good number and seems doable for most people that aren't old. So weigh yourself, do an FTP test and see where you fit relative to that metric. If you're old, you might be able to get there by losing weight.

I hate to ruin the thread by giving a sincere answer.
Other things being equal, as in all highly trained athletes being compared, power requirements for cycling scale more closely with mass than max watts/kg.

So achieving 4 watts/kg indicates greater relative fitness for endurance work for heavier athletes than it does for lighter athletes. To get a rough idea of the variation, scale max watts/kg to a power of .67 and power requirements at a power of 0.77.

At 58 and weighing 80kg, Im good with 3.5. That lets me do my silly SS riding with abandon and always make it home smiling. If I start to approach 4, so much the better.

Otto
ofajen is offline  
Old 03-18-21, 08:54 PM
  #32  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 22,588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2,142 Times in 1,527 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen View Post
Other things being equal, as in all highly trained athletes being compared, power requirements for cycling scale more closely with mass than max watts/kg.
I'm sure I don't quite understand your point. Everyone uses weight because it's pretty important for climbing and if you only ride on the face of the earth, weight and mass are proportional anyway.

I was just giving the OP a rough metric to judge himself by. I'm never going to hit 4watts/kg, if I ever did in the past.
unterhausen is offline  
Old 03-18-21, 09:55 PM
  #33  
ofajen
Cheerfully low end
 
ofajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1,454
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 706 Times in 461 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I'm sure I don't quite understand your point. Everyone uses weight because it's pretty important for climbing and if you only ride on the face of the earth, weight and mass are proportional anyway.

I was just giving the OP a rough metric to judge himself by. I'm never going to hit 4watts/kg, if I ever did in the past.
Agreed, its a good rough number for whatever we consider a rider of average weight. But a larger rider of equivalent fitness will have a lower figure, because of the scaling of VO2 max and thus max sustained power. The larger rider will be advantaged against air resistance but disadvantaged when climbing.

Otto
ofajen is offline  
Old 03-19-21, 01:59 AM
  #34  
Prodigy4299
Senior Member
 
Prodigy4299's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 444

Bikes: 1990 Trek 850, 2005 Cannondale R1000, 2019 Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog View Post
i been watching him kinda amazing....maybe a blood test is in order.
Perhaps. But look at his palmares since birth, and the things he's done in the last few years do not particularly stand out.

One common factor that you hear about what separates the top 1% of professional cyclists with mere mortals is genetics. And when it comes to genetics, it doesn't get better than van der Poel.
Prodigy4299 is offline  
Likes For Prodigy4299:
Old 03-19-21, 09:56 AM
  #35  
Eric F
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 2,449

Bikes: 2019 Trek Procliber 9.9 SL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 2,246 Times in 1,101 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog View Post
i been watching him kinda amazing....maybe a blood test is in order.
RVDP's blood is thick with the genes of his father (Adri van der Poel) and his grandfather (Raymond Poulidor). Look those guys up if you aren't familiar with them. His win at Strade Bianche was fairly predictable considering the form he is carrying from a dominating cyclocross season where he clinched his 4th world championship title. RVDP is a phenomenally talented young bike racer. Expect a lot more from him in the years to come.
Eric F is offline  
Likes For Eric F:
Old 03-19-21, 10:35 AM
  #36  
sean.hwy
Senior Member
 
sean.hwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: San Jose
Posts: 655

Bikes: Giant Revolt Advance 2 / Blur / Ibis MX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
Well...For myself (50+ guy), my 1200W max/250W FTP keeps me in the mix with the other 50+ guys I tend to ride with, but gets me no where near a pro contract. It's good for me, but far from good for others.
for reference
same age-ish. 147lbs I have been riding a year. I have never done an FTP test but my rides and zwift with sarris h3 predicts I am around 180 FTP. Going to be a long time before I crawl up into the 200's.

It's crazy when you watch GCN or norcal cycle youtube channel when those guys test things at 300 watts. I think I could hold 300 watts for 30 seconds. lol
sean.hwy is offline  
Old 03-19-21, 10:46 AM
  #37  
Eric F
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 2,449

Bikes: 2019 Trek Procliber 9.9 SL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 2,246 Times in 1,101 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy View Post
for reference
same age-ish. 147lbs I have been riding a year. I have never done an FTP test but my rides and zwift with sarris h3 predicts I am around 180 FTP. Going to be a long time before I crawl up into the 200's.

It's crazy when you watch GCN or norcal cycle youtube channel when those guys test things at 300 watts. I think I could hold 300 watts for 30 seconds. lol
If you're new to cycling, you're still building a foundation that only comes with time on the bike. I spent about a dozen years riding and racing in my 20s and 30s before hanging up the bike for a long time. When I returned to riding about 15 months ago, it has taken me some time to regain decent fitness, but there is an underlying foundation from the 100,000+ miles ridden in the past that has contributed a lot towards rebuilding pretty quickly. I'll never get to the fitness level I used to have, but my body still remembers how to turn efficient circles....and how to suffer.
Eric F is offline  
Likes For Eric F:
Old 03-20-21, 01:42 PM
  #38  
ofajen
Cheerfully low end
 
ofajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1,454
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 706 Times in 461 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
When I returned to riding about 15 months ago, it has taken me some time to regain decent fitness, but there is an underlying foundation from the 100,000+ miles ridden in the past that has contributed a lot towards rebuilding pretty quickly. I'll never get to the fitness level I used to have, but my body still remembers how to turn efficient circles....and how to suffer.
I find that riding single speed really helps with the suffering part. 😊

Hills and headwinds become a sort of existential challenge that force you to repeatedly work at higher output levels. The more you do it, the longer you can sustain those efforts and the more quickly you can recover between each episode.

My normal effort on most climbs is about 300-325W because doing any less isnt really an option. Similarly, working into headwinds often requires 350+W for considerable periods, maybe slacking off for brief moments to recover. YMMV.

Otto
ofajen is offline  
Likes For ofajen:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.