Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Overtaking Other Bike Riders and Scooter Riders

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Overtaking Other Bike Riders and Scooter Riders

Old 04-12-21, 04:16 PM
  #26  
Cheez
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
Rental electric scooters, at least, tend to be governed to 12 mph. Not very hard to pass one.
Maybe. I have seen other rentals that go faster...more like 15- 17 mph.

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy View Post
It is also possible the other guy is just about worn out from a 100-mile ride and his knees are starting to ache and he is hoping to limp home before he collapses from exhaustion. He really won't mind if you pass him.
If he was limping his way home from a 50 or 100 mile ride he would still feel hurt. At least it would not help with his mood for the rest of the day... it's still offensive.

Now if we are talking some couples or the family of 4 riding their bikes it would be a different story... I can pass just fine and they would not be offended.
Cheez is offline  
Likes For Cheez:
Old 04-12-21, 04:23 PM
  #27  
genejockey
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,780

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2219 Post(s)
Liked 2,229 Times in 1,127 Posts
There are SO MANY CYCLISTS out on the roads I ride these days that if I DIDN'T pass people I'd be stuck riding at single digit miles per hour.

After hearing about how often female cyclists are passed by male cyclists who worked hard to catch up and pass, and then blow up and fall back, I was really leery of passing fit-looking female cyclists, because I didn't want them to think I was "That Guy".

So I ended up a couple times NOT passing female cyclists I'd caught up to and following them for a mile or more before either passing or turning off. Then I'm afraid they might have thought I was "That OTHER Guy".

So, now I just pass people gong slower than I'm going, regardless.
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-12-21, 04:47 PM
  #28  
downhillmaster
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1,301
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheez View Post
Guys,
I ride both my old Raleigh M80 mountain bike and Trek 1400 road bike. I mostly ride on the road on the shoulder lane or bike lane. Once a while I run into other bike riders. I virtually always catch up to them.. I'm a fast rider (used to ride with racers and time trial athletes in group rides when I was young). I try to refrain myself from overtaking them cause I don't want to ruin their pride or hurt their feelings. I don't want them to have a bad rest of the day because of me. I even try to stay far back so I don't give the guy front me pressure.. Man, my Campy Record-equipped Trek 1400 bike just rolls with almost no resistance. Pedaling and the chain feel ultra smooth and firm..and my 23mm tires just cuts through wind like butter! It's real easy to go fast. One day I was riding my Raleigh mountain bike and taking a break at the intersection. I spotted a nice road racing bike rider passing by. He was in forward body lean position using his arrow bar on the handlebar and was going pretty fast! There was headwind too. I got stimulated and took pursuit to try to catch him in my mountain bike! 😄 It was a bit of challenge to catch up to him due to fairly strong headwind..he must've been going 18- 20 mph. If I pushed hard I would be able to catch up to him and pass him but I didn't...If I did that I would REALLY hurt the guys feeling. It's just wrong to be doing that. I don't want to exercise my pride. So I stayed far back. He had to stop for lights so I went even slower so that I don't intercept him. I ended up keep pedaling without stopping as I had green light at every intersection..

Oh and just today I caught up to an electric scooter rider and passed him in my road bike!... I was on the road and he was on the sidewalk. I think he was on full throttle..

Just wanted to share my story ☺️
Cool stories bro
downhillmaster is offline  
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 04-12-21, 04:52 PM
  #29  
OldTryGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW Fl.
Posts: 5,099

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheez View Post
...................If he was limping his way home from a 50 or 100 mile ride he would still feel hurt. At least it would not help with his mood for the rest of the day... it's still offensive...............
You can pass me ANYTIME you want and I promise I will not be upset.
OldTryGuy is offline  
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 04-12-21, 05:21 PM
  #30  
gringomojado
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 21 Posts
Does this hold true when you drive your car?
gringomojado is offline  
Likes For gringomojado:
Old 04-12-21, 05:28 PM
  #31  
UCantTouchThis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul View Post
passing a tandem always sparked the question of "why are you moving so much slower than even an average fat tire bicycle?" Two people with one bicycle, pedaling two cranks, & in linear fashion = easy faster speeds. Unless tandems just attract slow movers? I could not have a Daisy if I were to ride a tandem.

Passing someone should never hurt there ego, unless as you pass you point at them & yell "Ha Haaa!" in a Nelson voice.

My wife knows the rules. If we ride the tandem, you better ride. Not trying to set land speed records but those daisies that kick back on the back of a tandem, nu uh uh no!

We do get several riders that have said she is only going fast because of the tandem. Till they encounter her on her single bike. She's done a century on her single in 6:24 which is not bad for the average grandmother of 9.

Funny, her grandson, JV football linebacker told her son that he wants to race Grandma on a bike. Her son said, "no you're not, she'll kill you!".
UCantTouchThis is offline  
Likes For UCantTouchThis:
Old 04-12-21, 05:39 PM
  #32  
kahn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: northWET washington
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination View Post
Oh yes, being passed on a ride just RUINS my day - matter of fact, I'm traumatized for WEEKS!!! (where's that rolling eyes emoji - oh, there it is)
I would never ride again if that were the case!
kahn is offline  
Old 04-12-21, 05:44 PM
  #33  
Troul 
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 3,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 770 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis View Post
My wife knows the rules. If we ride the tandem, you better ride. Not trying to set land speed records but those daisies that kick back on the back of a tandem, nu uh uh no!

We do get several riders that have said she is only going fast because of the tandem. Till they encounter her on her single bike. She's done a century on her single in 6:24 which is not bad for the average grandmother of 9.

Funny, her grandson, JV football linebacker told her son that he wants to race Grandma on a bike. Her son said, "no you're not, she'll kill you!".
metric century? impressive either way.
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Old 04-12-21, 06:31 PM
  #34  
hazetguy 
I GOT THE MICROWAVE!
 
hazetguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: asheville
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,109 Times in 619 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheez View Post
Guys, One day I was riding my Raleigh mountain bike and taking a break at the intersection. I spotted a nice road racing bike rider passing by. He was in forward body lean position using his arrow bar on the handlebar and was going pretty fast! There was headwind too. I got stimulated and took pursuit to try to catch him in my mountain bike! 😄 It was a bit of challenge to catch up to him due to fairly strong headwind..he must've been going 18- 20 mph. If I pushed hard I would be able to catch up to him and pass him but I didn't...If I did that I would REALLY hurt the guys feeling.
he wasn't a guy who looked like Lance fully decked out with a Trek and Team Discovery outfit, was he?
hazetguy is offline  
Old 04-12-21, 07:03 PM
  #35  
Cheez
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by gringomojado View Post
Does this hold true when you drive your car?
I no longer own a car. Bike is my only transportation and for transporting cargo..

Originally Posted by hazetguy View Post
he wasn't a guy who looked like Lance fully decked out with a Trek and Team Discovery outfit, was he?
Lol no he wasn't anything like that. The bike he was riding looked like a two three thousand dollars. Descent bike. If it was Greg or Lance I would be smoked!

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
You can pass me ANYTIME you want and I promise I will not be upset.
Lol ok😁
Cheez is offline  
Old 04-12-21, 07:15 PM
  #36  
Camilo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,969
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheez View Post
Guys,
I ride both my old Raleigh M80 mountain bike and Trek 1400 road bike. I mostly ride on the road on the shoulder lane or bike lane. Once a while I run into other bike riders. I virtually always catch up to them.. I'm a fast rider (used to ride with racers and time trial athletes in group rides when I was young). I try to refrain myself from overtaking them cause I don't want to ruin their pride or hurt their feelings. I don't want them to have a bad rest of the day because of me. I even try to stay far back so I don't give the guy front me pressure.. Man, my Campy Record-equipped Trek 1400 bike just rolls with almost no resistance. Pedaling and the chain feel ultra smooth and firm..and my 23mm tires just cuts through wind like butter! It's real easy to go fast. One day I was riding my Raleigh mountain bike and taking a break at the intersection. I spotted a nice road racing bike rider passing by. He was in forward body lean position using his arrow bar on the handlebar and was going pretty fast! There was headwind too. I got stimulated and took pursuit to try to catch him in my mountain bike! 😄 It was a bit of challenge to catch up to him due to fairly strong headwind..he must've been going 18- 20 mph. If I pushed hard I would be able to catch up to him and pass him but I didn't...If I did that I would REALLY hurt the guys feeling. It's just wrong to be doing that. I don't want to exercise my pride. So I stayed far back. He had to stop for lights so I went even slower so that I don't intercept him. I ended up keep pedaling without stopping as I had green light at every intersection..

Oh and just today I caught up to an electric scooter rider and passed him in my road bike!... I was on the road and he was on the sidewalk. I think he was on full throttle..

Just wanted to share my story ☺️
Yeah they'd be devastated I'm sure.
Camilo is offline  
Old 04-12-21, 07:23 PM
  #37  
Camilo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,969
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft View Post
When I talk about how my chain feels ultra smooth and firm,

I do it in the soft porn section.
Maybe I shouldn't say this, but the first thing that came to my mind when I read the OP was the letters I used to read in Penthouse Magazine. "I never thought this would happen to me, but I was just riding along, feeling my steed cut powerfully through the wind, gliding effortlessly on well-aired and lubed wheels, the slippery chain rotating rhythmically around the sharp-toothed crank, when...."
Camilo is offline  
Likes For Camilo:
Old 04-12-21, 07:28 PM
  #38  
aclinjury
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
lol this thread is fred
aclinjury is offline  
Likes For aclinjury:
Old 04-12-21, 07:28 PM
  #39  
Reflector Guy
Senior Member
 
Reflector Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Chicago
Posts: 717

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 571 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
There are SO MANY CYCLISTS out on the roads I ride these days that if I DIDN'T pass people I'd be stuck riding at single digit miles per hour.
The slowest guy would be leading a mile-long parade of slow-moving bikes, all of them too timid to pass for fear of hurting someone else's feelings.

It's a little like when you see a family of twelve out for their annual bike ride, with 4-year-old Timmy or Suzie still on training wheels, leading the entire group, except without the family connections they share amongst themselves.
Reflector Guy is offline  
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 04-12-21, 07:59 PM
  #40  
Charliekeet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 604

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, '85 Cannondale SR900, Marin Hawk Hill SE, Giant OCR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
You need to give them the look before passing.
100%

Charliekeet is offline  
Likes For Charliekeet:
Old 04-12-21, 08:00 PM
  #41  
woodcraft
Senior Member
 
woodcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 5,733
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1685 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 743 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
Maybe I shouldn't say this, but the first thing that came to my mind when I read the OP was the letters I used to read in Penthouse Magazine. "I never thought this would happen to me, but I was just riding along, feeling my steed cut powerfully through the wind, gliding effortlessly on well-aired and lubed wheels, the slippery chain rotating rhythmically around the sharp-toothed crank, when...."


Heh. I think it was a different mag with letters that had: I spotted a nice road racing bike rider passing by. He was in forward body lean position...and going pretty fast!
woodcraft is offline  
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 04-12-21, 08:10 PM
  #42  
GlennR
On Your Left
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Posts: 7,940

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2674 Post(s)
Liked 1,875 Times in 959 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheez View Post
If he was limping his way home from a 50 or 100 mile ride he would still feel hurt. At least it would not help with his mood for the rest of the day... it's still offensive.
Maybe they're waiting for you to pass so they can grab your draft and not have to "limp" the last 10 miles.

I've been there.
GlennR is offline  
Likes For GlennR:
Old 04-12-21, 08:27 PM
  #43  
KPREN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Wadsworth, Ohio
Posts: 163

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectrumTi View Post
When I pass a scooter, e-bike, or electric skateboard (or they pass me), I usually say something like “you do realize that’s cheating, right?” I get a lot of chuckles.
To which I reply. "You needn't feel sorry for me, I don't feel I am cheating myself one damned bit. But thanks for caring".

Never say " That's not fair" Because when you hear those words you are always listening to a loser or someone who perceives losing or the worst case, A damned proxy for a loser or loser group.
KPREN is offline  
Likes For KPREN:
Old 04-12-21, 10:15 PM
  #44  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,977

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1195 Post(s)
Liked 1,729 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheez View Post
I'm a fast rider (used to ride with racers and time trial athletes in group rides when I was young). I try to refrain myself from overtaking them cause I don't want to ruin their pride or hurt their feelings. I don't want them to have a bad rest of the day because of me. I even try to stay far back so I don't give the guy front me pressure...
You don't want to hurt their feelings? The whole point of cycling is to crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.
tomato coupe is offline  
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-12-21, 10:40 PM
  #45  
downtube42
Senior Member
 
downtube42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,694

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Priority Eight, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 400 Posts
See rule 71 and ride your ride.
They should follow rule 38.

Also consult rules 43, 81.

If the rules are followed, there is no need or place for hurt feelings, only more training.
downtube42 is offline  
Likes For downtube42:
Old 04-13-21, 06:26 AM
  #46  
downhillmaster
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1,301
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 288 Posts
A couple of years ago I was finishing up an unsupported triple century on my Brompton and took a wrong turn heading up the Alps.
After a few minutes I started passing Ducatis and Aprilias and that is when I realized that I was on a closed course during the MotoGP world championship race.
Everybody was pretty nice after the race though and the only complaints I heard from some of the racers was that I didn’t announce ‘on your left’ as I passed them.
Not as epic as what the OP regularly does ofc but still a pretty cool story to tell my grandkids.
downhillmaster is offline  
Old 04-13-21, 06:34 AM
  #47  
Reflector Guy
Senior Member
 
Reflector Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Chicago
Posts: 717

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 571 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster View Post
A couple of years ago I was finishing up an unsupported triple century on my Brompton and took a wrong turn heading up the Alps.
After a few minutes I started passing Ducatis and Aprilias and that is when I realized that I was on a closed course during the MotoGP world championship race.
Everybody was pretty nice after the race though and the only complaints I heard from some of the racers was that I didn’t announce ‘on your left’ as I passed them.
I bet they rode in your draft all the way up and down the mountain. Until you dropped them, that is.
Reflector Guy is offline  
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 04-13-21, 06:59 AM
  #48  
downhillmaster
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1,301
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy View Post
I bet they rode in your draft all the way up and down the mountain. Until you dropped them, that is.
A few tried to draft me but they couldn’t hang on when I dialed it up to 400W ofc.
downhillmaster is offline  
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 04-13-21, 07:21 AM
  #49  
seypat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,582
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 628 Times in 448 Posts
Not 1 post about "dialing it up to 400 watts" yet? Nothing about "droping the hamer", either. You people are slackers. I did see some about "the look" at least.

Last edited by seypat; 04-13-21 at 07:41 AM.
seypat is offline  
Old 04-13-21, 05:43 PM
  #50  
hazetguy 
I GOT THE MICROWAVE!
 
hazetguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: asheville
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,109 Times in 619 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat View Post
Not 1 post about "dialing it up to 400 watts" yet? Nothing about "droping the hamer", either. You people are slackers. I did see some about "the look" at least.

fear not, there are several, more subtle references to "that thread" here. also see post 34 above .


"that thread", for those who might not know: I am sorry I have to drop you because you look like Lance
hazetguy is offline  
Likes For hazetguy:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.