Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

out door storage options

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

out door storage options

Old 04-28-21, 07:52 AM
  #1  
Crake
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 18

Bikes: TBA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
out door storage options

We have out 2 bikes hanging in the back of the 1-car garage, over my workbench. This is fine for October-April. It's a nightmarish 2 person 90min project every time I want to take them out.
I'm looking for a rain proof, lockable "structure" to put on the side of the house to for easy access during warm months. I can get a huge 7' tall 8'x10' shed for $300, I don't have space for that . But anything that's like a bike locker (4' tall, 5' x 4') is 3-5 times more expensive.

Is there anything for >$400 that isnt a full blown shed but better than a nylon tarp?.
(It's on raised concrete, so it doesn't need a floor.
Crake is offline  
Old 04-28-21, 08:51 AM
  #2  
Wildwood
Veteran, Pacifist
 
Wildwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 10,922

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 942 Posts
Build it.
Or the best solution is to buy more bikes and move the car outside - it's waterproof.
Wildwood is offline  
Old 04-28-21, 09:47 AM
  #3  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 29,855
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13092 Post(s)
Liked 5,571 Times in 2,864 Posts
Originally Posted by Crake View Post
It's a nightmarish 2 person 90min project every time I want to take them out.
Details, please. Inquiring minds want to know.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 04-28-21, 10:12 AM
  #4  
Chinghis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 321

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 51 Posts
I have much the same problem. And no garage. Even living in Southern California, you can't just leave 'em out all the time. But we live on a slope, with literally no space for a cute little storage shed. We looked into putting down a pad, but that was prohibitively expensive. Curious if you come up with anything.
Chinghis is offline  
Old 04-28-21, 10:34 AM
  #5  
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 4,448
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1918 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 730 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Details, please. Inquiring minds want to know.
Iím curious about that, too.

Maybe he drywalls over them when he puts them away for the winter.
Kapusta is offline  
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 04-28-21, 10:40 AM
  #6  
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 4,448
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1918 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 730 Posts
Take a look at some of the options for trash can sheds/storage.

I built a small outdoor shed that held 2 bikes (3 if I was strategic) and it was not much bigger than some trash can sheds I have seen.
Kapusta is offline  
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 04-28-21, 10:46 AM
  #7  
Phil_gretz
Journeyman Bike Commuter
 
Phil_gretz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 6,571

Bikes: '71 Jeunet 640, '79 Peugeot PXN10LE, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Liked 1,139 Times in 612 Posts
I'm interested in this question, too. We're building a small home in Texas that will not have enough room for bike storage. (The move happens in three years or so.) The garage will be only 19 x 20 ' with an 8-foot ceiling, and there'll be no basement. I'm considering putting the two mountain bikes out back in a small shed. If I find something, I'll post it here...
Phil_gretz is offline  
Old 04-28-21, 04:19 PM
  #8  
Gresp15C
Senior Member
 
Gresp15C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,707
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 356 Posts
I'm neither an architect nor an engineer, so I can't give actual construction advice, but can tell my story and make suggestions.

I built a covered space in my backyard, simply by sinking 4 treated posts into the ground, topping with a frame made out of 2x4's, which supports a roof made from corrugated polycarbonate sheets that you can get from the home improvement store, made for this purpose. No sides. The whole thing is held together with decking screws. My neighbors used similar material for the roof over their chicken coop.

The roof is good enough to protect bikes from rain and sunlight. It's secluded enough that the risk of theft is minimal.

You should check to make sure you're not violating any kind of zoning or building code. And if you dig, then of course you have to call "diggers hotline" or whatever it's called in your state. Never assume. Follow the rules. I also checked with my neighbors to make sure they would not think it was an eyesore.

A friend of mine built a similar structure on a paved area, and used anchors to hold it down. You don't want it to go airborne in a storm.
Gresp15C is offline  
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 04-28-21, 07:23 PM
  #9  
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 4,921

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 379 Posts
Small garbage can sheds would work, likely just big enough for 2 bikes. Not cheap though at near $300. I'd find a way to make room in the garage, maybe a pully/hoist to get them above a car ?.
Steve B. is offline  
Old 04-28-21, 07:51 PM
  #10  
dedhed
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 7,697

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1624 Post(s)
Liked 1,223 Times in 808 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
Build it.
Or the best solution is to buy more bikes and move the car outside - it's waterproof.
Priced lumber lately?
dedhed is offline  
Likes For dedhed:
Old 04-28-21, 08:18 PM
  #11  
zandoval 
Senior Member
 
zandoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bastrop Texas
Posts: 2,034

Bikes: Univega, PR-10, Ted Williams,UO-8, Puch, PHLE, UO-18 Mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 58 Posts
I saw a house that had a bike hanging upside down from the Soffit (eav) of his house. It looked just wide enough for the bike and he had half a tarp covering the bike on one side...
__________________
No matter where your at... There you are... Δf:=f(1/2)-f(-1/2)
zandoval is offline  
Old 04-28-21, 08:28 PM
  #12  
Bill in VA
Senior Member
 
Bill in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 671

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta View Post
Take a look at some of the options for trash can sheds/storage.

I built a small outdoor shed that held 2 bikes (3 if I was strategic) and it was not much bigger than some trash can sheds I have seen.
Costco has carried the trashcan sheds (at least in Northern Virginia area) As they are for the large rolling cans at least 2 bikes would easily fit as I was considering getting one for that reason. But then I decided the bane of outdoor storage in this area (spiders, and to a lesser degree humidity) made the indoor storage in a spare bedroom during the riding season far more preferable. I am with spiders as Indiana Jones was to snakes.
Bill in VA is offline  
Old 04-28-21, 09:25 PM
  #13  
Bmach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 887
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 80 Posts
Here are a few ideas. I really like the A300, seems very secure.

https://theurbanbackyard.com/bike-storage-sheds
Bmach is offline  
Old 04-28-21, 10:06 PM
  #14  
Crake
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 18

Bikes: TBA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Details, please. Inquiring minds want to know.
Ill give you details:
It's a tiny 8' wide x10' deep garage, Literally too small for any modern car, I use as a wood shop so theres is a mounted Table Saw and a mounted Miter Saw, wheeled tool cabinet saw horses, a stool,. shop vac, a spool of 250 foot cable that have to be moved out of the way. The wall of scrap wood is usually spilling to the floor, needs to be leaned back on a along the wall. Then bring in a ladder to unhook the bikes (I need to reach over a 3' deep bench, so need a ladder to reach, then hand it over to my wife one at a time to take out. Then brush saw dust out of the chain/gears... 99% of saw dust goes in a vac as its created, the other 1% sticks to anything with out on it. . Then we put everything back in the reverse order to close the garage,. The ride the bikes, Then take all that crap out again to put the bikes back in. All that mean if we're not using the bikes for over 2 hours, its not worth using them at all that day. ...it's horrible.
Crake is offline  
Old 04-28-21, 10:18 PM
  #15  
Crake
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 18

Bikes: TBA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bmach View Post
Here are a few ideas. I really like the A300, seems very secure.

https://theurbanbackyard.com/bike-storage-sheds
A300 is perfect, its also $1,800+. At the price, I can buy a old delivery van and used that .
Crake is offline  
Likes For Crake:
Old 04-28-21, 10:32 PM
  #16  
MarcusT
Senior Member
 
MarcusT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NE Italy
Posts: 1,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Crake View Post
We have out 2 bikes hanging in the back of the 1-car garage, over my workbench. This is fine for October-April. It's a nightmarish 2 person 90min project every time I want to take them out.
.
Have you considered something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/2004-Cycle-Pr...9670602&sr=8-2
MarcusT is offline  
Old 04-28-21, 10:38 PM
  #17  
Crake
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 18

Bikes: TBA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gresp15C View Post
I'm neither an architect nor an engineer, so I can't give actual construction advice, but can tell my story and make suggestions.


I built a covered space in my backyard, simply by sinking 4 treated posts into the ground, topping with a frame made out of 2x4's, which supports a roof made from corrugated polycarbonate sheets that you can get from the home improvement store, made for this purpose. No sides. The whole thing is held together with decking screws. My neighbors used similar material for the roof over their chicken coop.


The roof is good enough to protect bikes from rain and sunlight. It's secluded enough that the risk of theft is minimal.


You should check to make sure you're not violating any kind of zoning or building code. And if you dig, then of course you have to call "diggers hotline" or whatever it's called in your state. Never assume. Follow the rules. I also checked with my neighbors to make sure they would not think it was an eyesore.


A friend of mine built a similar structure on a paved area, and used anchors to hold it down. You don't want it to go airborne in a storm.
Chance of theft here is high, kids in ther late teen early 20's constantly steal out of unlocked cars on the block, or packages off the porch... out trek bikes are goners without covers and locks. I've made those for various versions of those for lots of purposes over the years wood for anything 4x6 or smaller, Aluminum conduit e frame for anything larger. . It take under a week. but if I want it to look professional (plywood skin, trim. stain, poly coat it turns it to a full summer project plus Id need a lit of internal support beams and lots of concrete screws to let it survive high winds and snow.... it's a project Id do 10 years ago. Great idea, but not for me..
Crake is offline  
Old 04-28-21, 10:41 PM
  #18  
Crake
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 18

Bikes: TBA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MarcusT View Post
Have you considered something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/2004-Cycle-Pr...9670602&sr=8-2
that's pretty cool, but removes one of the 40 steps we go through.
Crake is offline  
Old 04-29-21, 08:01 AM
  #19  
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 4,448
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1918 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 730 Posts
Originally Posted by Crake View Post
Ill give you details:
It's a tiny 8' wide x10' deep garage, Literally too small for any modern car, I use as a wood shop so theres is a mounted Table Saw and a mounted Miter Saw, wheeled tool cabinet saw horses, a stool,. shop vac, a spool of 250 foot cable that have to be moved out of the way. The wall of scrap wood is usually spilling to the floor, needs to be leaned back on a along the wall. Then bring in a ladder to unhook the bikes (I need to reach over a 3' deep bench, so need a ladder to reach, then hand it over to my wife one at a time to take out. Then brush saw dust out of the chain/gears... 99% of saw dust goes in a vac as its created, the other 1% sticks to anything with out on it. . Then we put everything back in the reverse order to close the garage,. The ride the bikes, Then take all that crap out again to put the bikes back in. All that mean if we're not using the bikes for over 2 hours, its not worth using them at all that day. ...it's horrible.
Put the bikes in front of all that sh#t. Or get rid of most of scrap lumber. That stuff is almost never worth the space it takes up when things are tight.
Kapusta is offline  
Old 04-29-21, 08:36 AM
  #20  
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 4,921

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by Crake View Post
We have out 2 bikes hanging in the back of the 1-car garage, over my workbench. This is fine for October-April. It's a nightmarish 2 person 90min project every time I want to take them out.
I'm looking for a rain proof, lockable "structure" to put on the side of the house to for easy access during warm months. I can get a huge 7' tall 8'x10' shed for $300, I don't have space for that . But anything that's like a bike locker (4' tall, 5' x 4') is 3-5 times more expensive.

Is there anything for >$400 that isnt a full blown shed but better than a nylon tarp?.
(It's on raised concrete, so it doesn't need a floor.
No place in the house ?, basement ?. That's always the safest,. My basement is unfinished and large so I've room there and I've gotten used to getting a bike up and down the stairs to my outside door.,
Steve B. is offline  
Old 04-29-21, 09:10 AM
  #21  
jadocs
Senior Member
 
jadocs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 2,190

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 345 Posts
Mine is kept in the house.
jadocs is offline  
Old 04-29-21, 09:29 AM
  #22  
Crake
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 18

Bikes: TBA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kapusta View Post
Put the bikes in front of all that sh#t. Or get rid of most of scrap lumber. That stuff is almost never worth the space it takes up when things are tight.
That stuff gets used more than the bikes, but again, its an 8x10 garage, but there is no "in front of" space. Those tools get wheeled out to the drive way to every time I use them. It's setup to go in out easily,
Crake is offline  
Old 04-29-21, 09:35 AM
  #23  
Crake
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 18

Bikes: TBA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bill in VA View Post
Costco has carried the trashcan sheds (at least in Northern Virginia area) As they are for the large rolling cans at least 2 bikes would easily fit as I was considering getting one for that reason. But then I decided the bane of outdoor storage in this area (spiders, and to a lesser degree humidity) made the indoor storage in a spare bedroom during the riding season far more preferable. I am with spiders as Indiana Jones was to snakes.
I think this should be the right time of year to find this stuff in stock. The best thing I found thats big enough is this wood garbage can shed, size is right, but poorly rated, and made from wood. Doesn't seem worth the price. There's a lot of plastic resin ones in the $200 that are 6-12" too small in at least one dimension.
Crake is offline  
Old 04-29-21, 09:36 AM
  #24  
70sSanO
Senior Member
 
70sSanO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 3,369

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 500 Posts
You can easily build a wooden lean-to. You already have a slab. I mean, your garage is being used for woodworking, how tough can it be?

And you donít need to store them with the front wheels attached. A couple of fork mounts in opposite directions and youíre set. People drag their bikes all over creation on the back of cars on tray mounted racks the same way.

John
70sSanO is offline  
Old 04-29-21, 09:37 AM
  #25  
Gresp15C
Senior Member
 
Gresp15C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,707
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 356 Posts
Right. It means you don't really have a garage, you have an attached storage shed that's full. In my locale, that's called a "Model A garage" because it was just big enough to fit a Ford Model A.

Short of figuring out what else can go outdoors, the bikes have to go outdoors.
Gresp15C is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.