Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tour de-france type of riders, what's their deal?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tour de-france type of riders, what's their deal?

Old 05-07-21, 07:59 AM
  #101  
Senior Member
 
Reflector Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,344

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
A lot of older, financially stable women love that John. Call themselves Cougars. Then there’s the set of fans that celebrate his entire collected works. They’re called Mellenheads. For obvious reasons.
I'm probably alone in the world for thinking this way, but I get annoyed when the display on the car radio calls him "John Mellencamp" when it plays one of his older songs like "Hurts So Good", when he was still John Cougar. Heck, even a brand-new CD still calls him John Cougar to this day! So because I am old and stubborn I still call him John Cougar even when I hear his newer stuff. And I still call the ballpark in KC "Royals Stadium".

Now, get off my lawn!
Reflector Guy is offline  
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 05-07-21, 08:37 AM
  #102  
Senior Member
 
70sSanO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 5,873

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Liked 2,214 Times in 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Golf is about social networking as much as it's a game. Bicycling has some of that, but golf has attributes that make it really suitable for the purpose. Let's be serious, all high-end sporting equipment can be used for status symbol purposes, so golfing with expensive equipment at the finest course makes a very strong status statement. Also, the nature of the competition is not physically exhausting, so you can "play hard" and keep talking the whole time. You get super-competitive in a biking activity, and the social interaction drops to nothing. Finally, it's a heck of a lot easier to get sloshed while golfing.

Hunting used to be used in this way among the wealthy, but that's problematic with the killing, guts and blood stuff. Also, getting sloshed while shooting is a bit nerve-racking.
My point was that like a lot of equipment based sports, having the means dictates the level of equipment and golf is the most over-the-top equipment based sport I can think of where the less skill and the more means drives a continual upgrade investment level; the more you suck, the more you spend.

Higher skilled golfers I know are not constantly upgrading, and it is not uncommon to find a 5-10 year old club in their bag that just works right for them.

And on top of that you can’t even hit a ball without paying money.

John
70sSanO is offline  
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 05-07-21, 08:37 AM
  #103  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,813

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,671 Times in 6,504 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
How does Bob Seger figure into that?
Bob Seger is the Jackson Browne of John Cougar Mellenkamps.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-07-21, 08:37 AM
  #104  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,537

Bikes: yes

Liked 644 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
OK, but if all of them were alive and at their physical primes, which one would win a bike race?

And have you ever seen the Big Bang Theory scenes on YouTube with the laugh track edited out? You can't even figure out which parts are supposed to be the jokes. It's all bland insults.
Kravitz probably, pretty sure the rest were drunk and high in their primes.

BBT is what dumb people think smart people sound like.
ksryder is offline  
Old 05-07-21, 08:39 AM
  #105  
Tragically Ignorant
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 15,612

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
My point was that like a lot of equipment based sports, having the means dictates the level of equipment and golf is the most over-the-top equipment based sport I can think of where the less skill and the more means drives a continual upgrade investment level; the more you suck, the more you spend.

Higher skilled golfers I know are not constantly upgrading, and it is not uncommon to find a 5-10 year old club in their bag that just works right for them.

And on top of that you can’t even hit a ball without paying money.

John

Totally, I was just explaining my theory, not disagreeing with you.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 05-07-21, 08:42 AM
  #106  
Tragically Ignorant
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 15,612

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Kravitz probably, pretty sure the rest were drunk and high in their primes.

BBT is what dumb people think smart people sound like.

I can think of someone who fits that description better, but I'd be told to take it to P&R. But yeah, they bear no resemblance to any real physicists and they don't even get "nerd culture" right.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 05-07-21, 08:49 AM
  #107  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,813

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,671 Times in 6,504 Posts
OP should have just said, "I don't understand anyone different from me" and stopped there.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-07-21, 08:50 AM
  #108  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,537

Bikes: yes

Liked 644 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I'm probably alone in the world for thinking this way, but I get annoyed when the display on the car radio calls him "John Mellencamp" when it plays one of his older songs like "Hurts So Good", when he was still John Cougar. Heck, even a brand-new CD still calls him John Cougar to this day! So because I am old and stubborn I still call him John Cougar even when I hear his newer stuff. And I still call the ballpark in KC "Royals Stadium".

Now, get off my lawn!
Kauffman set things up so that it would be really, really hard for any subsequent owners to move the Royals to a different market, so we're all mostly OK with calling it Kauffman stadium. Plus it's been like 30 years since they started calling it that so, you know...

Anyway sorry about your lawn but my dog had to go and I forgot to grab the poo bags. Catch me if you can!
ksryder is offline  
Old 05-07-21, 09:00 AM
  #109  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,598
Liked 2,614 Times in 1,548 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
If the fact the "The Big Bang Theory" lasted 12 seasons taught us anything it's to never underestimate the appeal of aggressive mediocrity.

On a related dad rock hill I'm prepared to die on: Lenny Kravitz is a poor man's Stevie Ray Vaughn is a poor man's Eric Clapton is a poor man's Jimi Hendrix.

(Ok I'm mostly kidding about the Clapton part).
I saw Clapton back in the late 80's. He had the misfortune of having to follow Buckwheat Zydeco. Once you've witnessed the legend that was Buckwheat Zydeco, every other performer is kind of dull and bland.(GWAR being the exception)

Last edited by seypat; 05-07-21 at 09:12 AM.
seypat is offline  
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-07-21, 09:02 AM
  #110  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,598
Liked 2,614 Times in 1,548 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
My point was that like a lot of equipment based sports, having the means dictates the level of equipment and golf is the most over-the-top equipment based sport I can think of where the less skill and the more means drives a continual upgrade investment level; the more you suck, the more you spend.

Higher skilled golfers I know are not constantly upgrading, and it is not uncommon to find a 5-10 year old club in their bag that just works right for them.

And on top of that you can’t even hit a ball without paying money.

John
A major equipment change has killed many a professional golfer's career.
seypat is offline  
Old 05-07-21, 09:03 AM
  #111  
Senior Member
 
Reflector Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,344

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Kauffman set things up so that it would be really, really hard for any subsequent owners to move the Royals to a different market, so we're all mostly OK with calling it Kauffman stadium.
The opposite side to that story would be if we had a "Reinsdorf Stadium" here in Chicago.... Even the most die-hard of lifelong fans would absolutely hate the name!
Reflector Guy is offline  
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 05-07-21, 09:27 AM
  #112  
Senior Member
 
70sSanO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 5,873

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Liked 2,214 Times in 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Totally, I was just explaining my theory, not disagreeing with you.
I agree with you 100%. I guess the one strand that can tie back to the OP is that those with the means usually buy higher quality. The difference with cycling is “usually” the person needs ability to ride expensive lightweight bikes fast.

I used “usually” because with the advancement of e-bikes, ability is greatly diminished. As they become lighter and more stealthy, having the means and the technology, you won’t need to train to be fast.

That is the OP’s answer. Get a better job, make more money, buy an expensive e-bike and ride just as fast, or slow, as you want while looking however you want.

John
70sSanO is offline  
Old 05-07-21, 09:41 AM
  #113  
Hear myself getting fat
 
aplcr0331's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Inland Northwest
Posts: 755

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Liked 266 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
A lot of older, financially stable women love that John. Call themselves Cougars. Then there’s the set of fans that celebrate his entire collected works. They’re called Mellenheads. For obvious reasons.
My wife has a childhood friend who is a well known Ophthalmologist, she travels (pre-Covid) around the country giving talks and has done some important research in the field. She's married to another Doctor...you know the drill their life is like a sitcom...nannies, multiple homes, etc. Well this lady is a HUGE fan of Hall and Oates. I mean...on a level like young girls were into Duran Duran or NKOTB...like screaming out loud at their concerts and ****. It whackadoodle.

If someone is performing...there's someone out their absolutely *worshipping* them.
aplcr0331 is offline  
Likes For aplcr0331:
Old 05-07-21, 09:49 AM
  #114  
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 5,190
Liked 1,265 Times in 643 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
Four pages!

OP got us good - gold star for him/her.
I blame it all on 'the creeping cost of entry to our favourite sport'. It is high time that we 'bikers' took 'biking' back from Big Bike. Heavier bikes for all, say I; one gets a better workout, and can wear 'ordinary' clothes while waving and dinging one's bell (stop laughing, you in the back!).
badger1 is offline  
Old 05-07-21, 09:54 AM
  #115  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,598
Liked 2,614 Times in 1,548 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
If the fact the "The Big Bang Theory" lasted 12 seasons taught us anything it's to never underestimate the appeal of aggressive mediocrity.

On a related dad rock hill I'm prepared to die on: Lenny Kravitz is a poor man's Stevie Ray Vaughn is a poor man's Eric Clapton is a poor man's Jimi Hendrix.

(Ok I'm mostly kidding about the Clapton part).
BTW, why doesn't Jeff Healey ever get mentioned in the same breath with this crowd?

Last edited by seypat; 05-07-21 at 11:12 AM.
seypat is offline  
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-07-21, 10:24 AM
  #116  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 8,333
Liked 11,631 Times in 4,962 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I saw Clapton back in the late 80's. He had the misfortune of having to follow Buckwheat Zydeco. Once you've witnessed the legend that was Buckwheat Zydeco, every other performer is kind of dull and bland.(GWAR being the exception)
I saw Clapton once in the '80s, too. They did "Layla" for the encore, and it sounded out-of-tune. Not being very musical, I made sure to read the newspaper review the next day, which noted the same thing - confirmation!

Later, I got into the blues very deeply, and realized that there are LOTS of guitarists who put Clapton to shame.
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-07-21, 10:24 AM
  #117  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 8,333
Liked 11,631 Times in 4,962 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
BTW, why doesn't Jeff Healy ever get mentioned in the same breath with this crowd?
Because no one's seen "Road House"?
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-07-21, 10:26 AM
  #118  
Advanced Slacker
 
Kapusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 6,241

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Liked 2,560 Times in 1,444 Posts
Originally Posted by krakhaus
I've always wondered if there are people who are rabid Mellencamp fans. Like they own every bit of merchandise and bootlegs, and follow him around on tour. I'm just curious if those people exist. Same goes for bands like Huey Lewis and the News or any of those really mediocre radio rock bands.
I must say that I had the same impression about Huey Lewis until them them live two times in the late 80’s. KILLER live band. Tons of respect for them after that, though I still can’t listen to the albums.

But I am not collecting bootlegs or going on tour with them.
Kapusta is offline  
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-07-21, 10:27 AM
  #119  
Full Member
 
krakhaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Springs, California
Posts: 462
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I used “usually” because with the advancement of e-bikes, ability is greatly diminished. As they become lighter and more stealthy, having the means and the technology, you won’t need to train to be fast.
That would give you a lot more time to watch the Big Bang Theory, which is what I imagine the E-bike crowd doing in their off time.
krakhaus is offline  
Likes For krakhaus:
Old 05-07-21, 10:39 AM
  #120  
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 39,946
Liked 16,479 Times in 7,725 Posts
Q. Lazarus FTW!




indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-07-21, 10:40 AM
  #121  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,537

Bikes: yes

Liked 644 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by krakhaus
That would give you a lot more time to watch the Big Bang Theory, which is what I imagine the E-bike crowd doing in their off time.
To be fair I'd love an ebike for my 30-mile commute to work. The distance isn't a problem but the time it takes is -- I can't be spending 3.5 hours a day biking to and from work plus my work doesn't have shower access.

But I can't justify the expense at this point. Oh well. Guess I'll go back to wearing lycra on my fast bike on the weekends even though I'm never going to race except for the times that I do.
ksryder is offline  
Old 05-07-21, 10:44 AM
  #122  
Full Member
 
krakhaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Springs, California
Posts: 462
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
To be fair I'd love an ebike for my 30-mile commute to work. The distance isn't a problem but the time it takes is -- I can't be spending 3.5 hours a day biking to and from work plus my work doesn't have shower access.

But I can't justify the expense at this point. Oh well. Guess I'll go back to wearing lycra on my fast bike on the weekends even though I'm never going to race except for the times that I do.
I'd just get a vintage Vespa, that's style right there. And probably close to the same price. Plus you can wear cool mod suits.
krakhaus is offline  
Likes For krakhaus:
Old 05-07-21, 10:50 AM
  #123  
Senior Member
 
70sSanO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 5,873

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Liked 2,214 Times in 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by krakhaus
That would give you a lot more time to watch the Big Bang Theory, which is what I imagine the E-bike crowd doing in their off time.
Have no clue about the e-bike and Big Band Theory crowd, although I know one e-bike rider not in that crowd. This thread wouldn't be complete without an actual Tour de France rider...


John


70sSanO is offline  
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 05-07-21, 11:01 AM
  #124  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,598
Liked 2,614 Times in 1,548 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I saw Clapton once in the '80s, too. They did "Layla" for the encore, and it sounded out-of-tune. Not being very musical, I made sure to read the newspaper review the next day, which noted the same thing - confirmation!

Later, I got into the blues very deeply, and realized that there are LOTS of guitarists who put Clapton to shame.
If you're still into the blues, there's a member here on BF that has/had a blues band with his sons. They're really good. I'll give him a plug. He is "texaspandj" and hangs out mostly in C&V. The band is The Pride & Joy Band out of Waco, TX. Look them up on Youtube and give them a listen.
seypat is offline  
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-07-21, 11:04 AM
  #125  
Duke Ulysses
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 800

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
this thread is amazing
growlerdinky is offline  
Likes For growlerdinky:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.