Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Carbon fiber parts after a collision / accident

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Carbon fiber parts after a collision / accident

Old 05-12-21, 07:35 PM
  #1  
cubewheels
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 1,784

Bikes: A really old BMX bike, Phantom 20 kid's MTB, Jackal Mio Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 292 Posts
Carbon fiber parts after a collision / accident

Metallic bike parts like aluminum, steel, titanium usually ends up bent following a large impact

But what about Carbon fiber parts? I'm sure they break apart since the epoxy matrix is brittle. My concern however, are these broken pieces sharp? Can they cause further injuries to the rider during an accident and how bad?
cubewheels is offline  
Old 05-12-21, 07:43 PM
  #2  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 8,458

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2313 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 865 Posts
Yes carbon splinters are no joke. Carbon won't always shatter or break but when it does, it can be quite bad. However keep in mind carbon is a pretty great material in the right directions and such, and in some cases could be better than aluminum which when both put in the same situations you might crack the aluminum but the carbon might deflect. Everything in the end though will come down to the crash and what has happened and of course what part.
veganbikes is offline  
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-12-21, 07:51 PM
  #3  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,693
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3120 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,797 Posts
Carbon fiber assplosions are the worst.
Koyote is online now  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-12-21, 07:59 PM
  #4  
cubewheels
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 1,784

Bikes: A really old BMX bike, Phantom 20 kid's MTB, Jackal Mio Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Yes carbon splinters are no joke. Carbon won't always shatter or break but when it does, it can be quite bad. However keep in mind carbon is a pretty great material in the right directions and such, and in some cases could be better than aluminum which when both put in the same situations you might crack the aluminum but the carbon might deflect. Everything in the end though will come down to the crash and what has happened and of course what part.
Yeah, how about high speed crashes though or being hit by a vehicle where any bike material would fail.

Additional concern on carbon handlebars, I've heard from many they're much easier to break
cubewheels is offline  
Old 05-12-21, 08:01 PM
  #5  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 29,856
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13092 Post(s)
Liked 5,573 Times in 2,864 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
Carbon fiber assplosions are the worst.
How foolish of me to think things could not sink any lower.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-12-21, 08:55 PM
  #6  
woodcraft
Senior Member
 
woodcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 5,748
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 753 Times in 460 Posts
I bought some (pedals, I think) from a guy who had had a horrific crash and been seriously injured from the broken CF frame parts,

requiring surgeries and hospital stay. I don't remember if a vehicle was involved, but he showed me the broken frame pieces, which he kept

in plain view in his office, which I thought was weird.
woodcraft is offline  
Old 05-12-21, 09:30 PM
  #7  
Elvo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 4,630
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 274 Times in 150 Posts
You should be more careful about the uncontrolled exothermic reaction when carbon is exposed to water
Elvo is offline  
Likes For Elvo:
Old 05-15-21, 01:39 PM
  #8  
Pratt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 93 Posts
Both my bikes are steel, but I am more concerned about impacts with the pavement, than any incidental injuries from the frames or components.
Pratt is offline  
Old 05-15-21, 02:00 PM
  #9  
Iride01
Hits [ENTER] b4 thinking
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 7,120

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2776 Post(s)
Liked 1,405 Times in 1,025 Posts
I'd think anything hitting the bike hard enough to splinter it is going to be just collateral damage. Whatever busted it up that much is going to be have busted you up just as well.

Maybe think of the crumpling or crushing of the carbon as reducing the blow yet to come before that freight train or whatever gets to you.
Iride01 is online now  
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-15-21, 05:24 PM
  #10  
cubewheels
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 1,784

Bikes: A really old BMX bike, Phantom 20 kid's MTB, Jackal Mio Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
I'd think anything hitting the bike hard enough to splinter it is going to be just collateral damage. Whatever busted it up that much is going to be have busted you up just as well.

Maybe think of the crumpling or crushing of the carbon as reducing the blow yet to come before that freight train or whatever gets to you.
If the splinters are sharp, you can get stabbed by it. An otherwise survivable accident becomes fatal.

Kinda reminds of post-fire crashes in airplanes where many crashes would have been survivable if the plane didn't burst into flames.
cubewheels is offline  
Old 05-15-21, 05:42 PM
  #11  
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 6,624

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2093 Post(s)
Liked 905 Times in 457 Posts
Carbon is no joke. Hundreds of cyclists have been impaled on their broken carbon frames after hitting a pothole or a crack in the pavement.
wolfchild is offline  
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-15-21, 05:44 PM
  #12  
asgelle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 4,241
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked 279 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
If the splinters are sharp, you can get stabbed by it. An otherwise survivable accident becomes fatal.
Of course that could happen. On the other hand, a piece of a Chinese satellite could fall on your head and kill you.
asgelle is offline  
Likes For asgelle:
Old 05-15-21, 05:56 PM
  #13  
Troul 
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 3,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 846 Times in 617 Posts
could get a case of clostridium tetani from an old unkept steel frame. can't live forever, so enjoy your stay while you can.
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Likes For Troul:
Old 05-15-21, 06:13 PM
  #14  
GlennR
On Your Left
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Posts: 7,996

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2697 Post(s)
Liked 1,927 Times in 982 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
Carbon is no joke. Hundreds of cyclists have been impaled on their broken carbon frames after hitting a pothole or a crack in the pavement.
I've hit both a number of times and not been impaled.

I guess i'm lucky.

BTW, not all carbon is the same, just as not all steel is the same.I've seen where the seatpost breaks away from the bottom bracket on cheap steel bikes. That's no joke.
GlennR is offline  
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-15-21, 09:44 PM
  #15  
icemilkcoffee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 167 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
Additional concern on carbon handlebars, I've heard from many they're much easier to break
This needs some qualifiers. Carbon handlebars are plenty strong. The problem is that they tend to slip (much more so with the 26.0mm bars- I know because I have these on two different bikes) at the clamp. So you crank down on the clamp some more, and more.... until inevitably you hear the very expensive crunchy noise and you end up with this:

^ BTW this bar is still very, very strong. I tried to break it over my knee and I could not get it to even flex one tiny bit despite the clamping surface being crunched.

But stick with 31.8mm bars, 4 bolt stem clamps and use carbon paste liberally and you'll never encounter this issue.
icemilkcoffee is offline  
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 05-15-21, 11:25 PM
  #16  
cubewheels
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 1,784

Bikes: A really old BMX bike, Phantom 20 kid's MTB, Jackal Mio Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I've hit both a number of times and not been impaled.

I guess i'm lucky.

BTW, not all carbon is the same, just as not all steel is the same.I've seen where the seatpost breaks away from the bottom bracket on cheap steel bikes. That's no joke.
The max I can spend on a new bike is $1000. However, I wanted to see aluminum, not low-end carbon and low end carbon is getting so common as Covid variants. Low end carbon is becoming much more common than aluminum models in the >$1000 price range.

I'm in the Southeast Asian markets so the vast majority of bikes are going to be from China. I trust cheap Chinese aluminum but NOT low end Chinese carbon fiber.
cubewheels is offline  
Old 05-16-21, 08:17 AM
  #17  
Atlas Shrugged
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
The max I can spend on a new bike is $1000. However, I wanted to see aluminum, not low-end carbon and low end carbon is getting so common as Covid variants. Low end carbon is becoming much more common than aluminum models in the >$1000 price range.

I'm in the Southeast Asian markets so the vast majority of bikes are going to be from China. I trust cheap Chinese aluminum but NOT low end Chinese carbon fiber.
Then why did you ask the question?
Atlas Shrugged is offline  
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 05-16-21, 09:21 AM
  #18  
cubewheels
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 1,784

Bikes: A really old BMX bike, Phantom 20 kid's MTB, Jackal Mio Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
Then why did you ask the question?
I find it tempting to settle for $1000 carbon bike if no aluminum ones that meet my specs exist.

But if it's really that dangerous I might settle for alternatives.
cubewheels is offline  
Old 05-16-21, 01:41 PM
  #19  
Troul 
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 3,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 846 Times in 617 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
I find it tempting to settle for $1000 carbon bike if no aluminum ones that meet my specs exist.

But if it's really that dangerous I might settle for alternatives.
Are you looking at used MTB or gravel cycles? What conditions will the n+1 be exposed to?
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Old 05-16-21, 02:40 PM
  #20  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 29,856
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13092 Post(s)
Liked 5,573 Times in 2,864 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle View Post
Of course that could happen. On the other hand, a piece of a Chinese satellite could fall on your head and kill you.
Yeah. Iíve used up 6 of my 9 lives that way.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-16-21, 03:13 PM
  #21  
Troul 
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 3,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 846 Times in 617 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Yeah. Iíve used up 6 of my 9 lives that way.
that sucks. dont blow away the rest on cheap corner store deals.
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Old 05-16-21, 03:57 PM
  #22  
UCantTouchThis
Senior Member
 
UCantTouchThis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 535 Posts
I did an organized double metric few years back, Cool Breeze (for the locals). After the ride, I spotted a bike racked up with a broken carbon post. Looked like some kind of Rambo bamboo trapping killer type tube looking thing. Apparently, some lady was on the ride and her post broke. Very dangerous looking. But good to hear she was not hurt in any way cause that thing looked like it could do some serious damage.

I have always used aluminum seat posts and plan to keep it that way after seeing her post being a bigger rider. One place I would not want to take any chances.
UCantTouchThis is offline  
Old 05-16-21, 04:18 PM
  #23  
Atlas Shrugged
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 168 Posts
These forums should be monitored by liability lawyers as there seems to be an endless supply of actionable cases. Millions are to be made and the manufacturers will be ground into bankruptcy one catastrophic carbon failure at a time. Could make the Phillip Morris settlement look like chump change.
Atlas Shrugged is offline  
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 05-16-21, 04:22 PM
  #24  
UCantTouchThis
Senior Member
 
UCantTouchThis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
These forums should be monitored by liability lawyers as there seems to be an endless supply of actionable cases. Millions are to be made and the manufacturers will be ground into bankruptcy one catastrophic carbon failure at a time. Could make the Phillip Morris settlement look like chump change.
I'm actually a believer in carbon now. I honestly don't want carbon components but as far as the frames, I'm happy with mine. I have had 2 aluminum frames snap under me on steep climbs. Both after 13,000 miles. My current full carbon frame has 17,000+ on it an not a single sign of failing. Why do I keep alum components??? Stems, posts etc, because they have worked for me and never a need to replace with anything else.
UCantTouchThis is offline  
Old 05-16-21, 08:56 PM
  #25  
atwl77
Kamen Rider
 
atwl77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: KL, MY
Posts: 942

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee View Post
So you crank down on the clamp some more, and more.... until inevitably you hear the very expensive crunchy noise
That's also what happens when you don't use a torque wrench and observe the recommended maximum.
atwl77 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.