Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for insight, getting fed up

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Looking for insight, getting fed up

Old 05-28-21, 09:20 PM
  #1  
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan
Thread Starter
 
Jax Rhapsody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Louisville KY
Posts: 845

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Looking for insight, getting fed up

I keep getting punctures on the inside of innertubes- the rim racing portion. These patches I have are not holding, those damn lil round black&orange patches. The rim not only has a rim strip, but also has electrical tape assisting it. I'm on my last patch and do not want to keep spending 7 bucks on tubes every few days.
Jax Rhapsody is offline  
Old 05-28-21, 09:33 PM
  #2  
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 1,534

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Fondriest Racing, Bianchi Trofeo, Bianchi Infinito, Schwinn Varsity, Trek mtn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 826 Times in 519 Posts
How are you applying the patches? Rough up the area with sand paper, use a generous amount of glue and let completely dry, apply patch without touching the adhesive side of the patch?

I would sweep my finger on the inside of the rim looking for anything sharp or a spoke protruding. I would note the position of the tube relative to the rim at the puncture site and investigate there
__________________
Rick S

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche. “An argument based reasoned fact, beats one based on emotional rantings every time” Anon





rsbob is offline  
Old 05-28-21, 09:43 PM
  #3  
base2 
Random Internet Person.
 
base2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,673

Bikes: 5 good ones, and the occasional project.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 278 Posts
My first thought is patch application. You are abrading the tube & letting the vulcanizing compound ("glue") completely dry before applying the patch, right? Yes? Good.

Secondly, how much spoke is sticking up beyond the spoke nipple? It should be zero. A bike shop can fix this. If the spokes are too long they can nip off the bit sticking up. How is your spoke tension, BTW?

Third: I'm going to guess you have single wall rims. The proper rim strip for single wall rims is a good thick cloth based rim tape like Velox or similar. Tubeless tape is too thin for this application. The plastic banding they use on shipping pallets &/or a thin band of rubber often used just isn't as good at cloth based rim tape. Do they work? Yes. They"re just not as good. Try switching to Velox. Maybe 2 layers if problems persist.

Good luck,
base2


edit: You can patch a tube about a bazillion times. The tube & patch simply expands to the tire casing & goes no further. Unless you have a gash or catastrophic tear from a blow out, or the nipple seperates, you need not spend $7.00 every single time. Vulcanized rubber patches literally become part of the tube they are attached to. The "quick patch" stick-on ones, not so much.

Last edited by base2; 05-28-21 at 09:51 PM.
base2 is offline  
Likes For base2:
Old 05-28-21, 09:48 PM
  #4  
nathand
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 85

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 29 Posts
Are the holes consistently in the same location on the tube? I got several flats on one wheel, no obvious cause to me - I'd just find the tire flat when I went to ride the bike. The hole was always near the valve, on the side of the tube facing the rim. When I went to my LBS to buy yet another tube, I mentioned the problem to the mechanic. He asked some questions about the bike (I hadn't ridden it there, due to the flat tire) and he noted that that particular bike had come with narrow rims. I'd had trouble seating the tire bead right near the valve due to this. He suggested that I was pushing the valve up, into the tire, so the bead would seat, and that this allowed the tube to fold over on itself (making sort of an S shape next to the valve). Then, once inflated, the sharp bend stretched the tube until it failed. Now I use the valve stem nut (Presta valve) to lock the valve against the rim, and I haven't had another flat.

You might not have the same issue, but mechanics have a lot of knowledge - might be worth bringing your wheel to your local shop and asking for some help, if you can't identify the cause.
nathand is offline  
Likes For nathand:
Old 05-29-21, 06:17 AM
  #5  
freeranger
Senior Member
 
freeranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,104

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 265 Posts
Another vote for Velox rim cloth tape. Also, use a cotton ball or used drier sheet to go around the rim--they will snag on anything and if there's something in the rim, you'll find it! I've found that some "glue" just doesn't work as well. Rema vulcanizing fluid is what I've found holds best. You say the hole is always near the valve--are you using the nut on a presta stem, and tightening it down on the rim--if you are, don't do that. If you want to leave the nut on, move it up on the stem, can always put it down toward the rim when inflating.
freeranger is offline  
Likes For freeranger:
Old 05-29-21, 06:52 AM
  #6  
Mark Dominck
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: western oregon
Posts: 74

Bikes: Gino Liotto,Kuoto Kharma, Vitus 979, lemond,specialized Tarmac, Austro Daimler Pacifica

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Take off the wheel and take it up on the highest hill in the area make sure nothing is in the way then gently give it a roll and go home problem solved
Mark Dominck is offline  
Old 05-29-21, 07:36 AM
  #7  
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 5,308

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 496 Posts
The vulcanizing fluid must dry before applying patch. Feels wrong, but it's right.
BobbyG is offline  
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 05-29-21, 07:37 AM
  #8  
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 24,310

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4296 Post(s)
Liked 1,805 Times in 1,097 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody View Post
I keep getting punctures on the inside of innertubes- the rim racing portion. These patches I have are not holding, those damn lil round black&orange patches. The rim not only has a rim strip, but also has electrical tape assisting it. I'm on my last patch and do not want to keep spending 7 bucks on tubes every few days.
“Black and orange” patches describe almost every patch out there. Just because they are the same color doesn’t mean that they are all the same. Many of them...well, most of them...are just bit of rubber and rubber cement. Rema Tip-Top are different from all the rest. Instead of depending on rubber contact cement, they actually perform chemistry to make new rubber bonds that are stronger and less likely to fail...especially on the inner curve of the tube.

As for what is causing the puncture, by all means check the rim tape for any burrs. Get a cotton ball and run it around the inside of the rim. Any burrs will catch the cotton and pull out bits that are visible. Two other tricks to finding a chronic problem is “clock” the tire and tube. For the tire, align the label of the tire with the valve stem. It makes finding whatever is causing the puncture easier. The other trick for the tube is to mark the tube with a direction at the valve stem (use a silver Sharpie marker). If you install it consistently the same way, you can find the object puncturing the tube easier.

Originally Posted by base2 View Post
My first thought is patch application. You are abrading the tube & letting the vulcanizing compound ("glue") completely dry before applying the patch, right? Yes? Good.
While I agree with the need for good preparation, “vulcanizing fluid” is not “glue”. True vulcanizing fluid has a chemical activator in the fluid that is used in concert with another chemical in the patch to make rubber bonds. “Glue”, especially rubber cement, is missing the activator in the fluid and the chemical in the patch.

Third: I'm going to guess you have single wall rims. The proper rim strip for single wall rims is a good thick cloth based rim tape like Velox or similar. Tubeless tape is too thin for this application. The plastic banding they use on shipping pallets &/or a thin band of rubber often used just isn't as good at cloth based rim tape. Do they work? Yes. They"re just not as good. Try switching to Velox. Maybe 2 layers if problems persist.
I don’t agree. Most of my flats over the last few years have been on the inner part of the tube. I know how to apply rim tape and I use double wall rims. I also know how to check for foreign objects in the tire and wheel. I can find nothing in the rim tape nor any tears the tape but I’ve been experiencing more and more of this kind of puncture. Right now my working hypothesis is that it’s the tubes. I went for years with the same rim tape only to have the tubes start to fail on the inner part. I’m not particular about the brand of tube I use but I’ve seen this kind of puncture across a wide range of tubes on many different bikes. I think it’s the compounding of the rubber being used now. Maybe they aren’t blending the rubber properly or they are using poorer quality rubber. But given that the problem has occurred for me over a range of tubes and on different bikes, I’ve got to say that it’s the tubes.

edit: You can patch a tube about a bazillion times. The tube & patch simply expands to the tire casing & goes no further. Unless you have a gash or catastrophic tear from a blow out, or the nipple seperates, you need not spend $7.00 every single time. Vulcanized rubber patches literally become part of the tube they are attached to. The "quick patch" stick-on ones, not so much.
As long as you use the proper patch kit (*cough*Rema*cough*), I fully agree.
__________________
Stuart Black
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
cyccommute is offline  
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-29-21, 09:26 AM
  #9  
kahn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: northWET washington
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis View Post
I've never had luck patching a tube on the inner diameter. Gave up after a couple of times realizing it doesn't work well.

Puncturing on the inside of the tube? You might have a metal sliver stuck in the tape. Happened to me once, less frustration to just replace the tape. What is it, about $4. Also check the inside walls of the rim for burrs.
Oh, I remember the rim tape incident. Or rather the absence of rim tape incident. New bike, three miles from home. FLAT. Begin repairing. Hmmm, something looks wrong. Oh, shouldn't there be some rim tape!!! Not amused and let the bike shop know!
kahn is offline  
Likes For kahn:
Old 05-29-21, 09:40 AM
  #10  
terrymorse 
climber has-been
 
terrymorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 4,273

Bikes: Scott Addict R1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody View Post
I keep getting punctures on the inside of innertubes- the rim racing portion. These patches I have are not holding, those damn lil round black&orange patches. The rim not only has a rim strip, but also has electrical tape assisting it. I'm on my last patch and do not want to keep spending 7 bucks on tubes every few days.
Trash your crummy rim strip and electrical tape (electrical tape, really?).

Get some Velox rim tape in the width that your rim calls for, install it. No more punctures on the inside of your tubes.

Velox Bicycle Rim Tape
__________________
Ride, Rest, Repeat

Last edited by terrymorse; 05-30-21 at 08:38 AM. Reason: changed from Zefal to Velox tape
terrymorse is offline  
Old 05-29-21, 10:20 AM
  #11  
base2 
Random Internet Person.
 
base2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,673

Bikes: 5 good ones, and the occasional project.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
While I agree with the need for good preparation, “vulcanizing fluid” is not “glue”. True vulcanizing fluid has a chemical activator in the fluid that is used in concert with another chemical in the patch to make rubber bonds. “Glue”, especially rubber cement, is missing the activator in the fluid and the chemical in the patch.
I think we are in agreement. I put the word glue in quotes & parenthesis to address the potential that the OP might have been using the terms interchangibly in his/her own conventional vernacular. Wet application/adhesion problems would indicate an absence of knowledge in this particular area.

The silver Sharpie® on the tube is actually a really good idea.

I am dubious about the poorly manufactured rubber claim. Sample size of one, & all that. However I can't completely discount it either. Recently (starting the year before last) I've had issues with Continental Supersonic tubes. For whatever reason the area around the valve stems tend to tear out. Even when knowing how delicate they are & acting accordingly, it seemed to make no difference. Truth be told, it is this frustration that drove me to tubeless.


edit: And yes, Rema! It's hard to beat Rema patches & vulcanizing compound bought in bulk on Amazon or elsewhere. I find i much prefer the smaller diameter patches, but to each his own.

Last edited by base2; 05-29-21 at 10:44 AM.
base2 is offline  
Old 05-29-21, 11:00 AM
  #12  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 7,921

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 550 Posts
Tubeless. Three years and zero flats.
bruce19 is offline  
Old 05-29-21, 11:11 AM
  #13  
Doc_Wui
Senior Member
 
Doc_Wui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 1,195

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Had two flats this year, all on the inside of the tube. Same wheel. Put on a new tube in the field. Filled it with CO2, but did it too fast. Tire filled up and deflated within a minute. Walk of shame. At home, found both holes in the same place. No roughness on the rim, but I added a second layer of Velox. I patched both tubes, and so I have the patch and tape there now in the area where it leaked. I beiieve the original happened because I went from 1.75" Kenda Kwest to 2.0" Big Apples, and stayed with 80 PSI, More compressive force inside the tire? Running 40 PSI now.
Doc_Wui is offline  
Old 05-29-21, 02:26 PM
  #14  
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan
Thread Starter
 
Jax Rhapsody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Louisville KY
Posts: 845

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob View Post
How are you applying the patches? Rough up the area with sand paper, use a generous amount of glue and let completely dry, apply patch without touching the adhesive side of the patch?

I would sweep my finger on the inside of the rim looking for anything sharp or a spoke protruding. I would note the position of the tube relative to the rim at the puncture site and investigate there
Roughing up the surface- I forgot about that.
Jax Rhapsody is offline  
Old 05-29-21, 02:28 PM
  #15  
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan
Thread Starter
 
Jax Rhapsody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Louisville KY
Posts: 845

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
Tubeless. Three years and zero flats.
This is a 83 High Sierra with a $40 wheel and some real nice tires from a Cranbrook- not an option.
Jax Rhapsody is offline  
Old 05-29-21, 02:41 PM
  #16  
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan
Thread Starter
 
Jax Rhapsody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Louisville KY
Posts: 845

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by nathand View Post
Are the holes consistently in the same location on the tube? I got several flats on one wheel, no obvious cause to me - I'd just find the tire flat when I went to ride the bike. The hole was always near the valve, on the side of the tube facing the rim. When I went to my LBS to buy yet another tube, I mentioned the problem to the mechanic. He asked some questions about the bike (I hadn't ridden it there, due to the flat tire) and he noted that that particular bike had come with narrow rims. I'd had trouble seating the tire bead right near the valve due to this. He suggested that I was pushing the valve up, into the tire, so the bead would seat, and that this allowed the tube to fold over on itself (making sort of an S shape next to the valve). Then, once inflated, the sharp bend stretched the tube until it failed. Now I use the valve stem nut (Presta valve) to lock the valve against the rim, and I haven't had another flat.

You might not have the same issue, but mechanics have a lot of knowledge - might be worth bringing your wheel to your local shop and asking for some help, if you can't identify the cause.
I was actually thinking of checking the other tubes for that reason. I'm usually not a moron with bikes.
Jax Rhapsody is offline  
Old 05-29-21, 03:00 PM
  #17  
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan
Thread Starter
 
Jax Rhapsody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Louisville KY
Posts: 845

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
“Black and orange” patches describe almost every patch out there. Just because they are the same color doesn’t mean that they are all the same. Many of them...well, most of them...are just bit of rubber and rubber cement. Rema Tip-Top are different from all the rest. Instead of depending on rubber contact cement, they actually perform chemistry to make new rubber bonds that are stronger and less likely to fail...especially on the inner curve of the tube.

As for what is causing the puncture, by all means check the rim tape for any burrs. Get a cotton ball and run it around the inside of the rim. Any burrs will catch the cotton and pull out bits that are visible. Two other tricks to finding a chronic problem is “clock” the tire and tube. For the tire, align the label of the tire with the valve stem. It makes finding whatever is causing the puncture easier. The other trick for the tube is to mark the tube with a direction at the valve stem (use a silver Sharpie marker). If you install it consistently the same way, you can find the object puncturing the tube easier.



While I agree with the need for good preparation, “vulcanizing fluid” is not “glue”. True vulcanizing fluid has a chemical activator in the fluid that is used in concert with another chemical in the patch to make rubber bonds. “Glue”, especially rubber cement, is missing the activator in the fluid and the chemical in the patch.



I don’t agree. Most of my flats over the last few years have been on the inner part of the tube. I know how to apply rim tape and I use double wall rims. I also know how to check for foreign objects in the tire and wheel. I can find nothing in the rim tape nor any tears the tape but I’ve been experiencing more and more of this kind of puncture. Right now my working hypothesis is that it’s the tubes. I went for years with the same rim tape only to have the tubes start to fail on the inner part. I’m not particular about the brand of tube I use but I’ve seen this kind of puncture across a wide range of tubes on many different bikes. I think it’s the compounding of the rubber being used now. Maybe they aren’t blending the rubber properly or they are using poorer quality rubber. But given that the problem has occurred for me over a range of tubes and on different bikes, I’ve got to say that it’s the tubes.



As long as you use the proper patch kit (*cough*Rema*cough*), I fully agree.
I think that's the other problem; it seems to just be rubber cement. It doesn't even burn like proper vulcanizing adhesive, that bonds the material together. There's a large patch on the old tube that gets a bubble in it, if inflated outside a tire where it looks like it'd split open and never does. One of those don't question it ordeals. I think this discussion has gotten me right on track.
Jax Rhapsody is offline  
Old 05-29-21, 03:33 PM
  #18  
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 24,310

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4296 Post(s)
Liked 1,805 Times in 1,097 Posts
Originally Posted by base2 View Post
I think we are in agreement. I put the word glue in quotes & parenthesis to address the potential that the OP might have been using the terms interchangibly in his/her own conventional vernacular. Wet application/adhesion problems would indicate an absence of knowledge in this particular area.

The silver Sharpie® on the tube is actually a really good idea.

I am dubious about the poorly manufactured rubber claim. Sample size of one, & all that. However I can't completely discount it either. Recently (starting the year before last) I've had issues with Continental Supersonic tubes. For whatever reason the area around the valve stems tend to tear out. Even when knowing how delicate they are & acting accordingly, it seemed to make no difference. Truth be told, it is this frustration that drove me to tubeless.


edit: And yes, Rema! It's hard to beat Rema patches & vulcanizing compound bought in bulk on Amazon or elsewhere. I find i much prefer the smaller diameter patches, but to each his own.
It’s happened to me a couple of dozen times. Like I said, I know how to use rim tape and how to check for debris. If it were something that happened a couple of times, I would probably chalk it up to missing something but the frequency that I’ve been experiencing it has happened isn’t due to my error. The tears don’t happen at the valve stem, either. They tend to happen over a spoke hole but there is no visible damage to the rim tape.
__________________
Stuart Black
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
cyccommute is offline  
Old 05-29-21, 03:37 PM
  #19  
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 24,310

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4296 Post(s)
Liked 1,805 Times in 1,097 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody View Post
I think that's the other problem; it seems to just be rubber cement. It doesn't even burn like proper vulcanizing adhesive, that bonds the material together. There's a large patch on the old tube that gets a bubble in it, if inflated outside a tire where it looks like it'd split open and never does. One of those don't question it ordeals. I think this discussion has gotten me right on track.
What do you mean by “doesn’t even burn”? Are you doing the “hot patch (that really isn’t ‘hot patch’)” setting the tube on fire method? Don’t do that. It does nothing for the tube, it isn’t “hot patching” and your Daddy was all wrong about how they did it in the “old days”.

Let the glue dry and then apply the patch.
__________________
Stuart Black
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
cyccommute is offline  
Old 05-29-21, 05:36 PM
  #20  
Moe Zhoost
Half way there
 
Moe Zhoost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 2,495

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked 598 Times in 356 Posts
On the rare occasions when this has happened to me, and when all sensible efforts have failed to resolve, I break out my fiber reinforced packing tape and run a strip tightly around the rim. Then run your preferred rim strip on top of it. This has always fixed things for me. The downside is that the fiber tape may be difficult to remove if you need to.

Also, Rema TipTop is a patch system that you can rely on.

Good luck.
Moe Zhoost is offline  
Old 05-29-21, 05:44 PM
  #21  
Pratt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 110 Posts
Even a non-sharp discontinuity can erode through a tube. I had a similar problem once with a thick boot. As for running your finger around inside the rim, maybe a cotton ball, to reduce the likelihood of blood.
Pratt is offline  
Likes For Pratt:
Old 05-29-21, 06:37 PM
  #22  
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Posts: 11,866

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 272 Posts
I'll just add that it's not just spokes that can make a hole. If the tape doesn't *completely* cover the spoke holes, the edge of a hole can cut the tube too. Sometimes it's hard to see it happening because the tape LOOKS ok and only exposes the edge of the hole under pressure.
BlazingPedals is offline  
Old 05-30-21, 06:58 AM
  #23  
hevysrf
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
I've had problems with thorn proof tubes chafing thru when used on narrow rims
hevysrf is offline  
Old 05-30-21, 09:25 AM
  #24  
Toadmeister
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Iowa
Posts: 584

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
Tubeless. Three years and zero flats.
came here to post this.

Mind you I can still get “flats” (like a nail puncture) with tubeless but much less likely and it is really self repairing for most everything but a sidewall gash. I’ve hit a couple nails or glass shards, which I pulled out, let the sealant do it’s thing, added back air, then was back on my merry way.
Toadmeister is offline  
Old 05-30-21, 09:50 AM
  #25  
Iride01
Hits [ENTER] b4 thinking
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 8,289

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '91, '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3264 Post(s)
Liked 1,865 Times in 1,324 Posts
Have you figured out why you are flatting so often? In the last 10 years, most of my flats were poor installation, some worn out rim tape, few were road hazards or punctures.
Iride01 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.